Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

The show me your Witco thread.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,611 replies

T

Witco I think...

Birthing stool !!!!

I'm just going to take a wild guess & say, not Witco....

Well this one would not hold a baby, let alone a woman having a baby.
It was wobbly.

Forget what he wanted for it as we did not want it.

The ships wheel was cool but that was high dollar.
Most of them are anymore.

That Woodard wire chair is awesome to

Picked up the following piece at a local flea today for the princely sum of $25. It appears to have the Witco Nature, but I don't recall seeing it here on TC before and it has no Witco markings:

[ Edited by: mrbalihai 2015-11-29 06:01 ]

Kinda cool but I don't think it's a Witco. In my dealings with Witco they almost always have the same size plain wood frames.

On 2015-11-28 12:38, uncle trav wrote:
Kinda cool but I don't think it's a Witco. In my dealings with Witco they almost always have the same size plain wood frames.

I found an identical piece on eBay a little while ago. It's listed as Witco, and it appears to have exactly the same frame/coloring as mine. The seller's offering no proof that it's genuine though, and there's no catalog number or tag visible in the photos, so in the absence of any solid evidence to the contrary, I'd tend to agree with you. Whatever it is, I think it's a nice piece of mid-century modern decor.

I would surely hang that on my wall :D

On 2015-11-28 16:20, uncle trav wrote:
I would surely hang that on my wall :D

We surely hung it on ours...:wink:

I was also amused to see that the eBay seller was asking $950 for it. It's a nice piece, but that's just ridiculous. In discussions with various antique dealers in my area, I've learned that Witco (or Witco-esque) pieces are becoming highly sought after by Japanese collectors, so the seller was probably hoping for a quick cash-in.

[ Edited by: MrBaliHai 2015-11-29 06:19 ]

K

I found this little fella in a Maui consignment store today. He's about 16 inches tall. Paid twenty eight bucks. I wasn't sure if he's a Witco but thought I'd take a chance. At the very least he's Witco-adjacent. I'm not really a Witco fan or collector so I'm not sure what to do with the darn thing.

For now he can just watch TV.

He is as Witco as it gets

K

On 2015-12-02 20:57, happy buddha wrote:
He is as Witco as it gets

Schweeeeeeet! I think I'll keep him! Thanks for the verification!

[ Edited by: KokoKele 2015-12-02 21:08 ]

]
Scored this 4 foot Big Kahuna at a auction, don't quite know if it fits the rest of the room yet but going to let him hang awhile.

To close to the fireplace!

These are a bit better, great detail on the eyes.

T

Did you send him outside to do a little weed whacking?

Love him. What a great score.

Awesome

Does anyone know the actual name of this piece as it appeared in the catalog?
Full disclosure, I plan on selling it.

Thanks

[ Edited by: ErichTroudt 2015-12-16 12:08 ]

K

W560 "The Family". :)

On 2015-12-16 12:04, ErichTroudt wrote:
Does anyone know the actual name of this piece as it appeared in the catalog?
Full disclosure, I plan on selling it.

Thanks

[ Edited by: ErichTroudt 2015-12-16 12:08 ]

Thanks keigs20

C

I got this wall clock for Xmas. We'd seen it months ago tucked away in a big antique mall/movie prop house. We've seen several other Witco pieces there. This "feels" right, the color, wood paint, all seem to be legit. Though no sticker or anything. Is this Witco? The only other one that shows up on the web lists this as a rare Witco but on closer examination it's actually the exact same piece, the carving and woodgrain match exactly. so can't find any other reference on this.

[ Edited by: CleoTiki 2015-12-25 16:48 ]

Maybe with some more detail pictures someone may able to say for sure. In my view the grain of the wood doesn't look right for a Witco piece but I am not an expert. Cool clock though that would look great on the wall.

I was able to obtain the big guy posted at the top of the page. He was really dried out so I gave him a dose of Howard's wood treatment. He is going to find a good home in the HUKILAU LOUNGE.

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2015-12-26 14:16 ]

Nice Unca T, Congrats!

C

So after a good cleaning and some Feed-n-Wax, this clock really perked up a lot. I don't think the works are original, they're those old plastic box workings where you pop in a battery. There's just a big wide round hole drilled in the back that they sit in. But here's a much better look at it. It still kinda feels right, but can't find any independent confirmation. The "Hour" dots are like little brass upholstery tacks. It keeps horrible time.

Thanks

This pair I bought for $20 at an antique shop. No markings on them. Witco perhaps?

S

I found this at a thrift store last weekend. I've never seen one like it before.

Anybody ever see one of these?
Looks dangerous. Thinking of adding an LED candle.

On 2015-12-31 14:48, Spaceboy wrote:
I found this at a thrift store last weekend. I've never seen one like it before.

Anybody ever see one of these?
Looks dangerous. Thinking of adding an LED candle.

Interesting find Spaceboy. Cool name you got too.
Looks Witco to me but I’m no expert. I wouldn’t alter it in anyway. If you are concerned about an open flame a hurricane lamp chimney is fairly easy to find and would not do any damage to your find.
Cheers

On 2015-12-29 16:18, CleoTiki wrote:
So after a good cleaning and some Feed-n-Wax, this clock really perked up a lot. I don't think the works are original, they're those old plastic box workings where you pop in a battery. There's just a big wide round hole drilled in the back that they sit in. But here's a much better look at it. It still kinda feels right, but can't find any independent confirmation. The "Hour" dots are like little brass upholstery tacks. It keeps horrible time.

Thanks
Cleo, Imho, even by Witco standards the cuts are pretty crude. Almost as someone tried too hard to “make” it Witco. That being said I like it very much. The “horrible Time” issue is an easy fix. I just may try to replicate yours. Hope I can match your colors.
Mahalo

S

I wouldn’t alter it in anyway.

They sell battery operated candles at Dollar Tree that should fit that candle holder without modification.

So, is there a Witco catalog online somewhere?

On 2016-01-01 18:10, Spaceboy wrote:

They sell battery operated candles at Dollar Tree that should fit that candle holder without modification.

Someone here definitely has a catalog-I’m sure they’ll be helping out soon. Mahalo for the tip on the candles. Are they the Tea light kine or something different?
Later

On 2016-01-01 18:49, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:

On 2016-01-01 18:10, Spaceboy wrote:

Someone here definitely has a catalog-I’m sure they’ll be helping out soon. Mahalo for the tip on the candles. Are they the Tea light kine or something different?
Later
Btw, now you got me reading every post on this thread.

They'll be helping out when they find it in any of the catalogs, otherwise they won't say anything

UT

On 2016-01-02 22:32, bigbrotiki wrote:
They'll be helping out when they find it in any of the catalogs, otherwise they won't say anything

I don't have any Witco catalogs but I do have The Book of Tiki and Tiki Modern. Coupled with TC they are an invaluable source for my collecting addiction. I was able to find a couple of good images of the large God of Fortune I posted on the previous page of this thread and pin down a date that it was made.

C

On 2016-01-02 22:32, bigbrotiki wrote:

Yeah, I also collect Frankoma pottery and can't help but notice that Frankoma collectors actually have easy reference materials where people have scanned in and posted their dealer catalogs online so people can check pieces and see pretty much when it was made etc.

I don't know why the Witco catalogs haven't been put up here. I know everyone here would love to see them; even would pay to have them.

S

On 2016-01-01 18:53, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:

Mahalo for the tip on the candles. Are they the Tea light kine or something different?

No, these are taper candles about 6" tall. Two per pack. They take AAA batteries.
I bought a pack of these and was a bit disappointed that the "flame" is a bluish white LED and does not flicker.
https://www.dollartree.com/Luminessence-Flameless-LED-Emergency-Candles-2-ct-Packs/p357708/index.pro

They also sell a full size taper candle, one per pack, that says it does flicker, and is probably more orange.
https://www.dollartree.com/Luminessence-Flameless-LED-Taper-Candles-10-frac14-/p357709/index.pro#

The 10" candle would be too tall for this piece though. 6" is the perfect size to fit the painted on hurricane glass.

[ Edited by: Spaceboy 2016-01-04 22:25 ]

Picked these up at a vintage store in Nashville last week. Looking forward to cleaning them up.

[ Edited by: gooneybird 2016-02-09 07:06 ]

We just found this. Looks Witco to me. It's very old. There are numbers and letters on the bottom that I can't make out. Wendy

I would say Witco for sures. Similar to the tikis found on the bar poles. Cool find!

T

Wendy, like happy buddha said similar to the Witco bar poles.

The lower 2/3 of this bar...

zoom

Or the top of this one...

The one Dans holding looks a bit more refined I wonder if someone "saved" part of an old bar or if it was a stand alone tiki. Did you get it?

Wendy- good find

Nice, congrats Dan & Wendy :)

Neat, thank you for the information and photos. It's so wonderful to finally have one here. Wendy

In honor of the 100th page of my favorite thread on TC, I wanted to share one of my favorite pieces of Witco.

This is a pristine orange vinyl Outrigger Bar with matching orange vinyl Tiki stools w/ footrest pegs. The top is smooth black Formica.

The seller found it in his parents basement, where it had been wrapped in plastic since the 70s. They purchased it after returning from a trip to Hawaii with tiki fever. :)

I have never seen one like it, or even heard of it mentioned anywhere. I have to assume it is one of the more rare bars out there. Sven or Kiegs, if you have any more info or photos I would be grateful. Anyway, just wanted to honor this thread where I have spent many happy hours. Enjoy the pics!

Sweet

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1611 replies