Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

The show me your Witco thread.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,611 replies

finally got this guy a friend,

Good Gawd this is awesome! Congratulations!

C

OMG!!!!! Are you kidding me!?!?!?!

I think you should bring it all to HRHH, and set-up a "Witco for Sale" booth so you can share the Witco wealth :wink:

Congrats!

K
Kahu posted on Tue, Apr 22, 2008 3:56 PM

On 2008-04-22 15:29, croe67 wrote:

I think you should bring it all to HRHH, and set-up a "Witco for Sale" booth so you can share the Witco wealth :wink:

Congrats!

I think you should keep that stuff under lock and key with guard posted! I think you take that to event you would get mugged. LOL :D

C

On 2008-04-22 15:56, Kahu wrote:

On 2008-04-22 15:29, croe67 wrote:

Congrats!

I think you should keep that stuff under lock and key with guard posted! I think you take that to event you would get mugged. LOL :D

Ah, man, you guessed my plan!
Guess I gotta come up with another one :wink:

David,

Just when I think I have seen it all from you, blammo, you fire off another round from your Witco arsenal!

I am very content with the fact I am able to find almost anything tiki where I live. The biggest exception would be Witco and only having a few pieces is great but it would be even better if more was available in Nor Cal.

Here's a thought! Have you ever considered changing your name to Psycho Witco D? Hmmm, just wondering?

Fabulous stuff man...congratulations!

PTD

That is great! Ask and you shall receive! David, you definitely have a green Witco thumb, that stuff just grows around you!

Holy Guacamole!!!

OMG, what a score! Lucky you, Tiki David.How does one care for pieces like this? Do you refinish them, oil them, or what?

MrsHoptiki

Need help again. Are these Witco?

Have the feel and look of Witco, burn and grain.

Anyone?

PTD

HARD to tell. if i 'HAD TO' make a call on it, i would say no. but again as allways there is a whole shit load of things that i do not know about WITCO.i hope i am wrong. keep looking i know it's out there......

on another note , is the 'KING' figure fipping us off?

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2008-04-27 13:37 ]

On 2008-04-27 13:36, TIKI DAVID wrote:
on another note , is the 'KING' figure fipping us off?

He is if you are saying he is not Witco. Otherwise, he is waving and smiling.

PTD

On 2008-04-27 11:50, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

Anyone?

PTD

Big Bro, what say you?

PTD

No Wit-Co. Too rounded off.

OK, not Witco, but they look good with the lamp! I really pondered buying them because I thought maybe, because of the grainy dark finish, they were. Perhaps these should go on Ebay as Witco like?

I guess what really threw me was they are hollow inside.

By the way, did Witco carve any cannons? I saw one that looked like it was Witco, but passed on it.

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2008-05-01 16:55 ]

TD

OKI then ,i answered a couple of my own questions today.# 1 are these chairs witco?

TD

well in replacing the foam rubber in side the 'blue' cushions i discoverd the are f-120 and original witco cushions.does anyone have these listed in a cataloge?

TD

and what about this 'deer'?

No, Dear.

Hello Board:

We are on vacation and have found a Witco wall hanging in a local antique shop. The piece is exactly like the one pictured below:

It is in really good condition. The frame is unblemished and very tight. There are no markings or excessive dirt or dust on the piece. No large chips, cracks, or other dings.

The dealer is asking $450.00 firm for this piece. (We have tried to dicker for a lower price, but he is holding firm).

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether or not this is a fair price for this great looking Witco wall hanging? Today is Wednesday, May 14th and we have until Saturday, May 17th to make up our minds, so a quick reply to this post will be a huge help to us (and we'll return the favor someday and/or buy you the drink of your choice the next time we cross paths).

Thanks,

Sailor Curt & Violet Ray

Well, it's not a "deal". It's not that overpriced either. At the moment, despite the publication of "Tiki Modern", Witco has not risen in price very much (because most people choose to not spend their money on this kind of "folly"...only some crazies do :) ). E-bay buyers are scared off by the high shipping cost of these muthas. So it cannot be recommended as an investment that will quickly appreciate. At this point, it is wholly a matter of how much you like this piece personally or not.

WHAT part of the country is it in? it makes a difference on the dealing. if he is in say so.cal he can wait for a local to buy it . now if it is in montana,he may have a long wait, and you can point that out to him. 2 extreme examples.you are right there ready to take it ,cash in hand, no shipping. make the deal.

D

totem ~ this is going to Keigs.

i got a chest (heh, insert joke here) ~ but can't move it out of my truck to take a picture. so PICTURES SOON.

Thanks for your reply and for your advice on this purchase.

This Witco piece is something that we have been wanting for a long time. We want this purely for the artistic appreciation and almost never buy art for any other reason, such as an eye toward future resale value (we don't picture ourselves ever wanting to sell any of our tiki collection!).

We are currently vacationing on the east coast and will be shipping all our purchases back to the west coast via Greyhound Shipping (slow, but cheap!).

Mahalo,

Curt

On 2008-05-14 13:01, bigbrotiki wrote:
Well, it's not a "deal". It's not that overpriced either. At the moment, despite the publication of "Tiki Modern", Witco has not risen in price very much (because most people choose to not spend their money on this kind of "folly"...only some crazies do :) ). E-bay buyers are scared off by the high shipping cost of these muthas. So it cannot be recommended as an investment that will quickly appreciate. At this point, it is wholly a matter of how much you like this piece personally or not.

[ Edited by: Sailor Curt 2008-05-14 14:11 ]

On 2008-05-14 13:26, TIKI DAVID wrote:
WHAT part of the country is it in? it makes a difference on the dealing. if he is in say so.cal he can wait for a local to buy it . now if it is in montana,he may have a long wait, and you can point that out to him. 2 extreme examples.you are right there ready to take it ,cash in hand, no shipping. make the deal.

Thanks for your reply and for your advice on this purchase.

We are currently vacationing on the east coast and will be shipping all our purchases back to the west coast via Greyhound Shipping (slow, but cheap!).

Mahalo,

Curt

[ Edited by: Sailor Curt 2008-05-14 14:39 ]

D

this better be freeking important!

its Charlie the Unicorn Witco Chest.

shhhhhuuunnnnn!

O.K., so we went ahead and purchased the wall hanging we asked for advice about here earlier in the thread. Here is a picture of it, along with the new, proud owners:

FYI: We also found another one of these, if anyone is interested. It is located in an antique store in Atlanta, Georgia and was around the same price as we paid for ours. Email us via our profile and we'll give you more details and the exact location.

Also, the antique shop where we found our new Witco also had a Witco tiki bar for sale. Here is a photo of it:

We didn't give the above-piece a complete inspection, but a cursory look showed that there are several gouges, scratches, and other dings on the bar top and on the frontal areas. Nothing terrible and a good wood restorer should be able to smooth out and refinish the ones that we saw.

As with the second wall hanging that we mentioned, interested persons can contact us via our profile email link and we will give you the location of this piece.

Cheers and Much Aloha,

Sailor Curt & Violet Ray,
Seattle, Washington

do you remember what they wanted for the bar? and ,how many stools? i see one.

K

That's the same bar I have without the stools. I'd really like to have a pair of those but I just can't drive cross country to pick them up.

On 2008-05-19 10:31, TIKI DAVID wrote:
do you remember what they wanted for the bar? and ,how many stools? i see one.

Tiki David:

We never asked what the price of the bar is, sorry. I also do not know anything about the stools for the bar.

But if you want the contact information for the dealer who has it, you can email me and I'll give it to you. (I don't want to post anything here that might appear to be marketing spam).

The bar is located in Atlanta, Georgia.

Cheers,

Curt

[ Edited by: Sailor Curt 2008-05-19 12:01 ]

Anyone know if this a witco? Found it at a Goodwill, paid $8.

What about this sword?

TD

On 2008-04-27 11:50, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

Anyone?

PTD

These were on MRS. ROBINSONS bar in 'THE GRADUATE'. i am sure someone here can find and post an image.

"just my opinion,i could be wrong"

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2008-06-03 15:09 ]

S

Wanted to share some pics of my fav place.Goood times here!

K

Mfachman, both of those items are Witco. Bill tells me they sold a ton of the carved swords, cool finds.
Sippygrl, I really like the way you have the room set up it looks great!!!

TD

thats it sippygrl. no expliation ,who ,where, you are. anything about the room. what part of the country you are in. anything....?

S

The house,is kinda cool without any furniture at all.The story...a friend called and asked if I would like some furniture that they had in storage.I had no idea what it looked like,when they brought it over I was in shock. Just add some drinks,friends and good food and you feel like a king/queen.I think maybe the original seats were covered with gold velvet material.

TD

LOL why is it like pulling teeth to get some in here to tell what part of the country they are in? not asking for home address and zip for crying out loud. just the general part of the country. gezzzzz......

On 2008-06-08 12:56, keigs20 wrote:
Mfachman, both of those items are Witco. Bill tells me they sold a ton of the carved swords, cool finds.
Sippygrl, I really like the way you have the room set up it looks great!!!

I was somewhat confident that both were Witco, but thank you for the confirmation keigs20! I appologize for my ignorance in advance, but who exactly is your source?

T

On 2008-06-12 08:27, mfachman wrote:
I was somewhat confident that both were Witco, but thank you for the confirmation keigs20! I appologize for my ignorance in advance, but who exactly is your source?

Ken Pleasant is a sculptor in the Witco style, his wife's grandfather is William Westenhaver, the founder of Witco. Mr. Westenhaver took Ken under his wing and taught him some Witco tricks. You can read more about Ken and see his work on his web site:

http://www.pleasanttiki.com/

I believe Ken also collects Witco. He's about the best source you can expect to run across!

just got this from the aku tiki room auction:

W

(I posted this originally in a thread in Bilge but it may be of interest to this thread. I don't know Witco well enough to certify the artwork below.)

The Hobnobber in Burien, Washington (12 or so miles south of Seattle) is an old tavern probably built (or last remodeled) in the mid 60s-early 70s. It's become cluttered with cheap beer signs and inflatable beer promo crap but it's obvious The Hobnobber was once a nice tavern.

Most interesting was the original decor still on the walls (photographed with my phone):

There are two of these king chess pieces by the pool tables. The kings are probably around 3 feet tall, not counting the frame. (The other one faces the opposite direction.)

In the main area there are two musical instrument pieces also around 3 feet tall. The other instrument is different from this. (Both their tops are covered by really exciting inflated Budweiser Nascars.)

Closer look. The original orange paint is still there under decades of smoke and dust.

On 2008-06-12 09:02, TikiTres wrote:

On 2008-06-12 08:27, mfachman wrote:

Ken Pleasant is a sculptor in the Witco style, his wife's grandfather is William Westenhaver, the founder of Witco. Mr. Westenhaver took Ken under his wing and taught him some Witco tricks. You can read more about Ken and see his work on his web site:

http://www.pleasanttiki.com/

I believe Ken also collects Witco. He's about the best source you can expect to run across!

Excellent! Thanks to the both of you!

T

On 2008-06-25 08:26, woofmutt wrote:
I don't know Witco well enough to certify the artwork below.

Good eye, those are most definitely Witco. The two pieces that you mentioned as kings are actually probably a king and a queen. The queen usually looks pretty masculine, so it's an easy mistake to make :)

look what i found today, stuffed away in the back of some second floor storage room of a run-down bar/night club.

father and son?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1611 replies