Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

The show me your Witco thread.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,611 replies

found these yesterday ,but did not buy them.a little pricey since this store 'discovered' "WITCO"

T

Man. I wanna be like all the cool kids and own a Witco.

I don't even won a Bosko, and he's my favorite Tiki Carver. I need to get my priorities straight.

T

On 2008-06-25 16:58, TIKI DAVID wrote:
look what i found today, stuffed away in the back of some second floor storage room of a run-down bar/night club.

SERIOUSLY??? Wow! That is one awesome fountain. Man, you must have some kind of space-age Witco radar with all the stuff you scare up :)

On 2008-06-26 07:45, TikiTres wrote:

On 2008-06-25 16:58, TIKI DAVID wrote:
look what i found today, stuffed away in the back of some second floor storage room of a run-down bar/night club.

SERIOUSLY??? Wow! That is one awesome fountain. Man, you must have some kind of space-age Witco radar with all the stuff you scare up :)

i just keep my eyes and ears open ,and ask questions. and ,oh yeah,play dumb.
'every piece has a story.'

"just my opinion,i could be wrong"

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2008-06-27 12:29 ]

i am told, by those in the know, that the red tounge on my tiki of fortune fountain may not be original to the piece. good thing i have a spare parts inventory.

found this tounge on a witco fountain that was outdoors for years and totally rotted.the tounge was the only thing worth saving.i thought if i never find my MAINLANDER i could carve my own and use an original tounge.
anyway ,i kinda like the red one. the hose runs through it ,not under.

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2008-06-27 12:07 ]

I found this piece today...

Before!

After first cleaning. Still needs a little TLC to some spots on the finish!
This appears to be missing the knobs? Anyhow, before tiki hammer says it, I will say it, "WTF did I buy this for?

As a side note: On my way home after finding this item, I found this little guy...

While I was driving back home from the purchase of the Witco Guitar, I was on San Juan Blvd (we jokingly refer to this street as the San Juan 500)! Up ahead of me were three cars that drove over the top of this little fella (Thank God he was in the middle of the lane) and I saw him and stopped in the middle of the passing lane and picked him up. Not much animal life survives the San Juan 500 (as evidenced by the squashed possum 500 ft away) so he is one lucky little guy.

This is a post veterinary visit photo and he is recuperating well: flea treatment, tapeworm treatment, ear mite treatment, blood tests, shots and rectal thermometer shoved up his ass; at 1.85 lbs, I give you the newest member of the Psycho Tiki D cat clan; WITCO the Cat!

P.S. I think tiki hammer will probably tell me to sell the Witco to pay for WITCO? Nah!

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2008-06-27 16:59 ]

"desert racers are good people"

On 2008-06-27 17:01, TIKI DAVID wrote:
"desert racers are good people"

What does that mean exactly?

PTD

it from "on any sunday" the movie about motor cycle raceing . in one desert race a rider stops to help a turtle cross the track and the voice over said "desert racers are good people " so when ever i hear of someone saving an animal i quote it. thats all.sort of a private thing ,i used to ride hare scrambles.

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2008-06-27 17:19 ]

Just got this one this morning, I don't see too much Witco in Florida but you never know......Thought this one was cool because of the condition and the size it is 61" Tall and 19" wide. I have another Witco Tiki hiding around the shop here somewhere.

-Jess
bradenriverantiques.com

N

this is the piece i saw at brimfield back in may.

interesting...but i didnt buy it.

lUcKy kAt! Good story.

interesting...but i didnt buy it.

I don't blame you, looks like two guys kissing. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just wouldn't want it hanging in MY house :) Witco did some cool tiki pieces, but they did some pretty darned ugly stuff too!

TD

found this today. part of the ID line?

K
KuKu posted on Sun, Jul 6, 2008 7:16 PM

On 2008-06-27 17:18, TIKI DAVID wrote:
it from "on any sunday" the movie about motor cycle raceing . in one desert race a rider stops to help a turtle cross the track and the voice over said "desert racers are good people " so when ever i hear of someone saving an animal i quote it. thats all.sort of a private thing ,i used to ride hare scrambles.

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2008-06-27 17:19 ]

TD, you are wrong, it was a tortoise, but that is my favorite line in the movie which is my 2nd. favorite movie of all time. I have tortoise or two so very cool to see someone use that quote! Endless Summer is my first fav and the best line in it that I use all the time is "well ya shouldda been here yesterday"...

TD

to KuKu, a wink and a nod.
plus check out the poster,

i am still looking for an 'ON ANY SUNDAY 'poster

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2008-07-07 03:13 ]

two new pieces, a mag rack;

and a i do not know what it is,about 4ft tall and started out as a 8"x8". anyone have a clue? it is witco but thats all i know. maybe another candle stand.

hi all
this little witco whale proves that size doesn't matter !
also here is the record for TIKIDAVE's movie poster.

enjoy
floridatiki

define, irony..

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2008-07-19 16:28 ]

On 2006-08-22 08:22, Ojaitimo wrote:
These Witcos were used by my mother Ione in one of her Tiki projects, The Royal Palms in Oxnard, Calif 1963.

I found a badly painted but cute 'kid' similar to the one in the above photo at a flea market recently. Anyone know if this is an official Witco piece that I've stumbled across? It's a little over 18" tall. Thanks~ Moai Mama

K

Moai mama, yup it is.

On 2008-07-19 19:22, keigs20 wrote:
Moai mama, yup it is.

Thanks, Keigs :->

NOW, define irony....

My my, it appears Moai Mama does not own Tiki Modern yet?
He is called "Boy Puppet"...while I prefer to refer to him as Witco's "Chuckie" . :)

On 2008-07-20 11:38, bigbrotiki wrote:
My my, it appears Moai Mama does not own Tiki Modern yet?
He is called "Boy Puppet"...while I prefer to refer to him as Witco's "Chuckie" . :)

Why Bigbrotiki, of course I own Tiki Modern, as well as the Book of Tiki :wink: and while normally I would feel quite naked without them for reference & research during my weekend treasure hunts~ I've been away from all things Tiki lately caring for an ailing parent.
I do appreciate the info here on the 'Tiki Lifeboat' while away from my own books and such, though! Thank goodness for laptops and hospital hotspot internet connection.
I must admit, it was quite a head rush to finally find a real piece of Witco while scanning over the usual Florida junque on a steamy Summer afternoon, taking a quick junque-fix @ an unfamiliar haven of 'stuff' between hospital runs. The gal selling her wares seemed to think I was an absolute NUT when I asked if she had any more of these?!
I hope you can relay more information about this little Chuckie Boy, if you wouldn't mind. Did he come painted this oddly? Does he have a gal friend or other family members? Is there a blue book value for such things, if one wasn't yet attached to her newly adopted little boy? Don't get me wrong... he IS cute and all, but after a long day of teaching 18 four-year-olds, I'd prefer coming home to a more exotic & grown-up Tiki themed environment.

P.S... Aha, I finally made it home and did indeed find my Boy Puppet on page 218. Cool! I guess some of that blue paint has just faded & someone added a magic marker smile on mine. Thanks, bigbro~ I do appreciate your knowledge AND your books ;->

[ Edited by: Moai_Mama 2008-07-21 06:41 ]

I figured if I ever get a chance to purchase a "Witco World" map piece, it'll be more than I care to spend so... I decided to make one myself.

The frame I found isn't a horizonal as would be ideal, so the first concession is that the globe is not a streched out as the originals. The second concession, and this is the biggest, is that I used plain old pine for the continents and so did not have the grain of the originals to give it that Witco look. As you can see in the detail photo, I carved to exagerate what grain there was.

I'd much rather decorate my office with originals, but this piece looks kinda nice and it was a fun project for a hack like me.

T

That is an excellent likeness, nice work! You did a very convincing job of texturing the pine.

Nuts! Amazing work! You are a master counterfeiter! Unfortunately, you will be investigated by FBI’s Art Crime Team, and eventually the piece will end up here:

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/05/19/museum-of-counterfei.html

..however, fame and fortune is not out of reach!:

"...London's Victoria and Albert Museum has a separate gallery devoted to first-class fakes and forgeries. Other respected museums around the world are giving the counterfeiters—long the object of public fascination—shows of their own."

:D

Nice job,looks good.

Aw shucks.guys! Thanks for the kudos.

found this today,

works well ,i think with these.

K
kiara posted on Sat, Jul 26, 2008 2:01 PM

This is a 6' pole I found a couple of days ago.
I thought it was unique enough to post here.

Great find Kiara! I've recently scored some witco stools and a few masks that I need to photograph and post on here......but seriously, I gotta know Tiki David, where are you getting all this great witco stuff from? Your vast collection of Witco seems to be growing on a daily basis! Awesome stuff, I love the pics!

This past weekend (I don't have a pic of it right now) I picked up a BIG Conquistador's sword hanging by a metal chain off of what looks like an anchor without the two prongs. Sure looks like Witco but not a mark on it. Not really Tiki but for the price I couldn't pass it up. You would think being so close to where Witco was there would be more around here in the NW. I just don't see it - or I am not looking hard enough.

While surfing outside of Sacramento Craigslist, I found this ad in the Tahoe/Reno area for Tiki:

http://reno.craigslist.org/fur/770615084.html

A quick telephone call and a four hour round trip yielded this:

Yes, the price sticker originally said $15.00, but the owner honored her posted price of $10.00!

Posted on July 26th, imagine my surprise to find she still had it.

Pyscho Tiki D (I know I am and five bucks is five bucks)!

Sorry, double post!

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2008-07-30 13:52 ]

Nice find Tiki D!

B

Very cool lamp. Well worth the trip.
-Duke

Great lamp psycho!

Here's the bar I acquired, just picked it up last night:

It also came with the matching shelf that hangs behind the bar, and two chairs/stools. The bar back seems to have seahorses, instead of dragons, but the same fur backing. Is this part of the same set? Or was there also a Seahorse bar?

T

Very cool finds everyone!!
Here's what looks to be a Witco Guitar?? Kind of looks like one but not sure. About 32" Long and has metal rods like strings mounted to it. Pretty cool looking. Quite stylized and almost looks like a fish too!

I won't be keeping this one so if anyone is interested in it drop me a PM.
Thanks! TabooDan

T

On 2008-07-30 13:46, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
While surfing outside of Sacramento Craigslist, I found this ad in the Tahoe/Reno area for Tiki:

Congrats man - next to the 7 foot fountain - that is one of the coolest Witco pieces I've seen! You'll have to invite me over to see it in person. You're the reason I don't even waste my time with Craigslist or thrift stores around here :)

On 2008-07-31 13:17, TikiHula wrote:

Congrats man - next to the 7 foot fountain - that is one of the coolest Witco pieces I've seen! You'll have to invite me over to see it in person. You're the reason I don't even waste my time with Craigslist or thrift stores around here :)

Thanks TikiHula,

You already know I am jealous of your fountain and you don't have to worry about the thrift stores, I hardly ever go to them, but craigslist is a different story...$10.00??? Well, if you factor in the time and gas, it was a little more, but then again, I would have still gone if the price was higher?? How much, not sure!

Tiki David is still the King of Witco though. I still lament Sactown is a cowtown and not the modern mecca of Californina. Sacramento, bring out your Witco!

Anytime you want to come by, just PM me because I am only minutes away!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and I'm lovin' every minute of it)!

http://reno.craigslist.org/fur/770615084.html

Yes, the price sticker originally said $15.00, but the owner honored her posted price of $10.00!

Posted on July 26th, imagine my surprise to find she still had it.

Pyscho Tiki D (I know I am and five bucks is five bucks)!

Taking advantage of the old folks again eh? Man...

H

On that note, my husband put an item up for bid on Ebay with a .99c price. Only one person bit on it and he won. When we got the envelope with the payment in it, he had put $15.00 cash in there, he wrote "Please have a cup of coffee on me, thanks for a great find". Of course my husband sent a bunch of extra stuff along with what he won and send it back to him... :)

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2008-07-31 19:41 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1611 replies