Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

The show me your Witco thread.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,611 replies

I've put this little guy up on my eBay listings this week, if anyone is interested (please see the Tiki Marketplace posting for link) Thanks! Moai_Mama

On 2008-07-15 17:35, floridatiki wrote:
hi all
this little witco whale proves that size doesn't matter !

enjoy
floridatiki

Wow, those eyes look a lot like the eyes on this little wooden owl I got a few days ago. Is my owl Witco?

T

They are probably both by Witco although they're not the "traditional" Witco style that tiki people know and love. Someone posted a duck that looked very similar to this and Sven's response was:

"These lil' guys are Witco's attempts to join the gift item market. The mini Witcos were produced in Canada and offered as "Zoo-ettes" (lil' animals) and as "Fun-Touchables" (in conjunction with gift cards) in the 70s."

It appears that your owl may have a piece broken off of one side, it should be symmetrical like this one:

EDIT - They aren't Witco.

[ Edited by: Ratzaroony 2008-08-01 15:37 ]

[ Edited by: Ratzaroony 2008-08-01 15:37 ]

[ Edited by: Ratzaroony 2008-08-01 15:38 ]

T

Aloha everyone,

I hate to be the barer of bad news but the owl/s and whale are not Witco, they were clearly influenced by Witco and they must have sold millions. As far as I have been able to gather these were sold in gift shops we have a few with price stickers that say redwood forest (these are made of redwood) maybe it was exclusive to the area? I have had the hardest time getting this across to well meaning friends who bring these to us thinking they are Witco, last year we put all our owls in storage, perhaps forever.
Witco’s “The Fun Touchables” line is the same wide grained material as their other carvings and the eyes are not felt but wood.
I did try going back a couple of pages looking for the quote attributed to Sven but couldn’t find it. If you want Witco these are not it, if you want something cute then you have found another thing to collect

Good Luck,

Bosko

Good to know! Thanks Bosko :)

T

Bosko, thanks for the clarification. The mistake is mine rather than Sven's, this is the picture he was referring to:

I mistakenly thought the whale and owl were from the same Zoo-ettes line as this duck. You have to go way back in the thread to find this, it was back in 2006. This is a link to Sven's response to the above photo:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20416&forum=5&vpost=254438&hilite=Zoo-ettes

By the way, Truus emailed me that you finished up the columns, beam and trim for me, I really appreciate it! I'll send ya'll pics when I get the patio conversion done!

B

Aloha everyone!
I've enjoyed seeing all the great Witco pieces folks have posted on this thread. We have recently added a couple new pieces to our collection and along with Sven's Tiki Modern and the fact that we get to totally redo our Tiki room in our new place (Now with more Witco!) we are pretty jazzed on Witco right now. I finally sat down and photographed most of our Witco treasures. Sorry for the wildly inconsistent pictures — our old camera took a dive off an outdoor table and I've yet to get the hang of this new cheapy we got as a replacement.

This is what the Witco area of our old place looked like. We have more space now, but greater challenges (including a low ceiling) come with the space. Anyone want to help us with the build-out?

Here are the two new acquisitions. We got the one-arm chair on ebay and when I went to pick it up in Cleveland I was invited to see Tiki David's digs. He and his wife have a wonderful collection, are both great hosts, and Tiki David was super cool to hook me up with his two-arm Witco chair so Amy and I each have a chair to lounge in (like Archie and Edith Bunker?). The upholstery on both the chairs were pretty beat, so we redid them. Amy was thinking of the kid, the cat, the dog and the tropical drinks when she voted down replacing the leopard print and going with a period-appropriate orange Naugahyde. I think they came out pretty well. Thanks again to Tiki David!

I think the orange of the chairs will look just grand in the room with the large wahine wall hanging:

We also have the Polynesian couple, but just the figures:

These Primitic masks reflect the color palette that we want to incorporate into the new Tiki room. We brought them home from a trip to Washington DC a while back:

The firedancers usually have an orange background, but ours is white. We rescued this from a resale shop in Michigan City, IN which burned to the ground a couple years later.

Another recent addition to the collection is the bongo player. Got him at the Aku Tiki auction. I've wanted one of these forever.

Amy got this for me as a Father's Day present:

Here is a shot of our bar. The same design is on page 165 of Tiki Modern. I brought this home from a trip to South Florida.

On another S. Florida trip a couple years later I found these:

Two different friends hooked us up with these two different lamps:

Another fellow Tiki Collector told us about this guy sitting in a second-hand shop in Kentucky back in '98. Amy and I trekked down there and brought him home.

There is a long story that goes with this fountain. Ask me another time and I'll share the tale. It came from a Kalamazoo, MI estate.

Another estate sale score is this Wahine chair. We bought it in Chicago long-distance while we were fleeing hurricane Jeanne during Hukilau 2004 (With help from bamboolodge of course. Thanks!)

Since our bar only has two stools, we do have a few more for guests:

Some cool masks for the wall:

I like this mask, but I think there is some dispute as to whether it's really Witco.

A couple mid-size Tikis. The one on the right came from Elkhorn Flea Market in Wisconsin.

And two little Tikis:

Of course, our passion for Witco also includes contemporary work. Amy got this Bosko piece when we were in Toronto for the Savage City Tiki art show at Swizzle Gallery in the summer of 2000.

And if we don't find vintage examples of a couple of our favorite Witco designs soon we'll be asking Ken to carve us up some.

-Duke

B

I figured that y'all would be interested as well in seeing more Witco even if it's not strictly Tiki in subject matter. Sadly, we don't have nearly enough room for all these cool pieces and we'll have to let some go soon. Some of my favorites:

Sven says "musical instrument." I say "modernist abstraction."

Much more modern than primitive is "MoonCity."

A bit more primitive is "voodoo"...

...which reminds me a bit of this piece that I love because it reminds me of the work of Alexander Girard:

This piece is pretty remarkable. The depth and complexity (both of the carving and forced perspective) is wonderful and the little details like the metal cross and painted sun are just great.

Boats you ask?! We have boats, whether you are a viking:

...or want to sail the tall ships:

Maybe you are a Spanish conquistador? You probably need these. (Think I should challenge Basement Kahuna and his weapons? Maybe not.)

You'd probably want an image of your king and queen as well:

...and maybe these too:

If you are a lover rather than a fighter, perhaps a musical instrument to serenade your sweetie?

Where do you put all those pesky magazines? Why, in your llama of course.

You can watch a flock of geese fly by:

... or a parade of cats:

Me, I'm partial to these cats:

Your cat might like this fish:

And you simply have to love this cute little turtle. We bought this at the Hala Kahiki gift shop ages ago. He still has his price tag.

This guy will help light the way:

... and this firetool holder will help you stoke those flames:

Just don't let this big guy scare you in the dark:

I find this Balinese dancer's moves very exotic:

So you see, there really is something for everyone. All in all, it's a very Witco world!

-Duke

Jeez, Duke and Amy, I am speechless. To see pieces like "Moon City","Voodoo", and that sun as real objects after only having seen them in the catalog for years is amazing. They really exist! Maybe one day....

I would like everyone to know that the "very thirsty bar stool" on page 241 of Tiki Modern IS from the Carter collection, photographed in situ in Chicago! Thanks again, Duke, and congrats on these incredible finds.

H

Duke, your collection is amazing and what's really nice is the fact that each and every piece is in perfect condition with hardly any flaws. You are a great collector.

T

Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor, that is an astonishing collection!!! Thanks so much for sharing!! That first picture looks like one of those vintage Witco showroom photos :)

[ Edited by: TikiTres 2008-08-09 09:17 ]

DUKE, the chair ,and everything else looks great. i am glad that MONSTER found a GOOD home.
It was fun having you over,the TIKI bar is always open.make sure to stop by anytime you are in town.
Donna says hello and hello to Amy.i am goning to have to make a road trip up your way.
TD

T

ARGH! I bought this seahorse (mentioned half a dozen times as Witco in the ad) off of eBay and it arrived and is clearly not Witco. This is the auction photo:

It looked like it might be legit, but looking at it up close once it arrived the grain is all wrong as is the finish. It's not very tiki, but I was curious to see the actual Witco finish up close to went ahead and bought it. Oh well, at least I didn't pay a Witco-esque price for it :wink:

Sea horses are absolutely OK as nautical mid-century home bar decor, so don't feel bad, it fits.

Thanks Sven, I'm carving some Witco-style fishies to hang in our gazebo, so it should fit in well with those. I'm just annoyed that I thought I would be able to finally examine a real Witco finish up close.... but nooooooo :)

From today's finds...

Witco Cat magazine rack.

And his pal!

PTD

tikiwahine wrote
Last weekend I brought home this fabulous lamp. The wonderful Puamana(Mimi) of Seattle parted with this Witco Moai Lamp from her collection. That gal is the BEST!

Has anyone seen Mimi lately?

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-08-18 12:41 ]

Incredible collection Duke!!

Last weekend I brought home this fabulous lamp. The wonderful Puamana(Mimi) of Seattle parted with this Witco Moai Lamp from her collection. That gal is the BEST!

Packing it up safely with 10 minutes to get to the ferry was very exciting! Luckily the always gracious Dogbytes gave me a hand with the bubble wrap and cardboard.

Last night we finally got it hung in it's new home. I'm beyond thrilled with the way the bar is shaping up. Just need to do a few adjustments and re-arranging.

On 2008-08-18 12:37, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:

tikiwahine wrote

Has anyone seen Mimi lately?

You mean since international tiki day?

I mean since you bopped her on the head and stole her lamp.

R

I'm very pleased (especially after today's entry under Tiki Mug Misfortunes) to show off our recently found Witco wall hanging. According to the 1964 catalog that's pictured in Tiki Modern, this is called "Color Cat." We were very fortunate to find this particular one, as its colors and carving both suit our living room colors quite well. It did mean adding a 3rd cat to the family, but the upkeep on this one is far less demanding than our 2 orange tabby cats.

Christy's holding it - it's about 5 feet wide:

Here's a closeup of the head part of the carving:

And here is our orange tabby Neko, giving her approval to the addition to the family:

And here's Neko with color cat in situ, over the fireplace. Ironically, the poster next to it is for a WILCO concert!

Cheers,
Rupe

It's great to see that piece in color..and in such good condition! Congrats on that find.

Those are some nice finds, I especially like both the lamp and the cat pieces and Duke, your collection is mad!

Fridays have seem to be my Witco find days lately. Either I wasn't paying attention to what was out there or it is just starting to show up, but I have been extremely lucky lately.

Here is today's purchase:

At 5 feet tall, this one is in great condition (needs to be cleaned). I equate this as Witco's version of a velvet nude.

Gotta love it!

PTD

K

HELP! I'm desperately seekin' the Witco piece with the framed "Jazz Band". I passed up 2 different auctions a few years ago and kick myself everyday when I do a search on eBay with no avail. Anyone out there got a lead on one? HELP! It's mah fav'rite!

She's indeed a nice specimen. The quality of some Witco pieces does vary quite a bit, and the human features can be distorted in a rather "unfortunate" way.

The most amazing Witco find I had lately (not in the sense of owning it, but in an urban archeological sense) was during the recent L.A. Tiki tour:
We got to see sparklegem's house, which is a Palmer/Krisel mid-century modern they took over from the first owners, and it CAME with original Witco art in situ:

This Tahitian Maiden is hanging in the same place it hung when it was purchased in the 60s. Amazing.

Here it is reflected in the original rendering of the house:

On 2008-08-22 21:40, KAHAKA wrote:
HELP! I'm desperately seekin' the Witco piece with the framed "Jazz Band". I passed up 2 different auctions a few years ago and kick myself everyday when I do a search on eBay with no avail. Anyone out there got a lead on one? HELP! It's mah fav'rite!

Tell me about it. I tried to find one before I put its evolution in Tiki Modern, to no avail...now, good luck to us both.

K

Wow, talk about progressive ideas in style... Look how low the car is in the car port. My car buddies and I sometimes debate about whether the old customizers would have used air ride had it been available. I think the artist would have agreed with us.

????....

Not sure if Witco carved pineapples?

PTD

T

Witco? Seahorse?

Still needs some cleaning but the price was right.

On 2008-09-01 17:19, Tikisgrl wrote:
Witco? Seahorse?

Still needs some cleaning but the price was right.

Hey you~

Check out page 191 of "Tiki Modern". It show a "Madonna" piece with the signature of "The Woodcarver". Not Witco, but a fairly good copycat. Page 190 has a brief paragraph about copycats.

Cool find though and thanks for posting it!

PTD

Yes, indeed. Thank you PTD. More and more pieces by him are surfacing. There is also a matchbook for the Woodcarver's Cafe on that page, which MUST have been another venture of the same Witco copyist. Here is a menu from Mimi's collection, (she also owns a Seattle Space Needle done Witco style by him):

B

Don't say Tiki, say BULL!

I've wanted one of these since I saw Tiki David's. Interestingly, if not for Tiki David I'd never have found this one:

-Duke

TD

a wink and a nod.

K
kiara posted on Thu, Sep 11, 2008 6:51 PM

Hi,
I'm going to ad some photos to the witco pile.
I hope it inspires you as much as all the photos on this thread have
for me.
tiki david ,boutiki ,psycho tiki and others have so many great
pieces.
Sven ,don't make any judgments on my camara work.

can you spot the seamus tiki?

the top of the above bar

A mayan witco

K
kiara posted on Thu, Sep 11, 2008 7:01 PM

dont even ask what I had to sacrifice for this mutha'

i got these from tikicentral

lone wolf

tuff shot

anothr tight shot

kiara,

You are smokin'. You have some very nice pieces there.

Where abouts are you in this great big world?

Love it all!

PTD

K
kiara posted on Thu, Sep 11, 2008 7:10 PM

Looks like someones rocking the boat.
Sorry about this one.

lord give me strength.

K
kiara posted on Thu, Sep 11, 2008 7:22 PM

a witco or not a witco?Go ask Kiegs!

KA-BAM!!!!

just call me W. Westenhavers b-tch!

A messy corner of my bedroom with some witco wannabes

The bed frame is in pieces still ,but here it is.

From a bombshelter under Graceland ,U.S.A.
to witco fans around the world....I salute you.

K
kiara posted on Thu, Sep 11, 2008 7:41 PM

Thanks psychotiki, I'm actually from Los Angeles.

Kiara lives in my neighborhood, --physically and spiritually. He has his credit in both, Book of Tiki and Tiki Modern, not only because he suffers from that Witco "condition", but also because he has a great collection of Tiki paper ephemera, menus and folders of postcards and matchbooks, from which he generously has lent me material for my books.

Kiara, thanks for posting your (absolutely fine :) ) photos on Tiki Central, I have been meaning to send you these catalog pages of your recent find, the Witco "Nuba totem":

1962:

1968:

I HATE going to Kiara's house; it makes me weep openly.

I LOVE going to Kiara's house; it makes me weep openly.

On 2008-09-11 22:51, Tiki Lee's wrote:
I HATE going to Kiara's house; it makes me weep openly.

I LOVE going to Kiara's house; it makes me weep openly.

At least you get to go to Kiara's house. I think I will just go off into a corner and sob softly, quietly and gently.

Just when I think I have been amazed by something here for the last time, BOOM, amazed again!

Thank you for sharing the pictures.

I wish someone could scan a catalog so we would know what to look for!

PTD

"I wish someone could scan a catalog so we would know what to look for!"

PTD

ya think?

On 2008-09-12 12:37, TIKI DAVID wrote:

PTD

ya think?  

Ya got one?? C'mon David, throw us a bone!

PTD

Holy crap,Kiara! All that stuff & only 17 posts in 3 1/2 years! You don't have to get involved in the inane cat-fighting. Just show us your stuff.

On 2008-09-12 12:45, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

On 2008-09-12 12:37, TIKI DAVID wrote:

PTD

ya think?  

Ya got one?? C'mon David, throw us a bone!

PTD

no, i was agreeing. i would LOVE to see some scans of the old catalogs.

PROOF that AUSTRAILIA and the AMERICA's are moving farther apart

i found the one on the bottom yesterday at a resale shop. excellent condition.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1611 replies