Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

The show me your Witco thread.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,611 replies

T

Did Witco make a Japanese hedgehog?

I saw a carving in a thrift store yesterday that has that heavy wood grain look.

It looks sort of like this:

I am not sure if these are rare and exquisite pieces of Witco, or steaming and noxious piles of Shitco, but I'll let the tiki world decide. Please let me know soon because the one guy is starting to weird me out!

These lil' guys are Witco's attempts to join the gift item market. The mini Witcos were produced in Canada and offered as "Zoo-ettes" (lil' animals) and as "Fun-Touchables" (in conjunction with gift cards) in the 70s.

I found this at an estate sale years ago in the kitchen and according to the daughter her mother used it to hang dish rags on.

heres some:
looks like Primos:

and that lovely Aztec collection Fountain:

these are posted somewhere else on TC too!

I think we need to see Ballsomics Witco and Neptunes stuff too!

All must knock...to enter the BALLSomic domain..............

BUT!... heres a taste.

Here's some shots of Tiki Davids latest find. He said I should post these for him- as his new camera has not been tested out yet. Seven foot tall -on an after market concrete base- we assume?? Weighs at least a few hundred pounds, and the thought is that since it was always outside here in NE Ohio, you need the base weight for stability on windy days. It was also painted with "brown house stain", for some unknown reason, so there is some restoration in the offing to get the genuine look back... Rumor has it there are 3-4 more somewhere in town that did not sell at the estate sale this came from, and are still in a mystery back yard somewhere. We hope they weren't used as fire wood by the unknowing new owners...

M

Whoa! That's a Witco Tiki especiale find for David! Nice one. How many bones did he let go for it?

Mahaloz

McTiki

Thats one hell of a pick up!! That is probably my favorite Witco design.. We need to find the other ones!! Im up for a road trip after Hukilau.

"and the hits just keep on come'n", scored a fountain today!!!!

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2006-09-18 05:01 ]

K

Ballsomic.....That is one hefty welcome at your front door:-) If anyone can pull that off you can! It looks like quite the oasis you have designed there. If only you lived a little further south..........

Tiki David....sometimes it definately pays to get out of bed in the morning :) Could those WITCO finds BE any more exciting! Celebrating the rescue with you........

Karbora

G

Karbora, it's about time you showed off YOUR Witco here. You're being way too modest.

more pics of fountains ,please.

no need for the road trip to find the others.I found them yesterday.

TikiDavid, when can I come over and see??

Tiki David, when can I come over to pick one up?

found a WITCO fire place tool holder today,about4' tall.

F

Here's Tiki David's Witco fountain. I went over to see it and the other finds today. I'm thinking of making at least one "copy" for fun of this fountain in the near future. I'll post it on my thread when it starts to take shape...
This is the main statue set aside from the fountain pump base/bowl...

Rear view...

Top view of fountain bowl...

Bowl and pump housing that's the base for the bowl...

Upper front view...

Bowl and pump housing/base front view...

Side view of spillway into bowl...

Water pumps out from under the large tongue...

BUMP!

T

That is the same fountain that I have. If you look at my earlier post you will see a link to the photos. I just finished carpeting our tiki room and just had him apart and back together. His tounge is just stuck in with two nails. You need to take it out to run the hose through his body. Mine is still natural finish with painted eyes. Scott

SCORED! a hippo foot stool today at an estate sale hippo,white teeth, drawer pulls for eyes and redish orange ,round swivel seat. pristine condition. we need a book.....sigh........ TD

to all that asked (pm and e-mails) ,"no ,i think it looks great in my witco bar room,i'm gona keep'm"

I read about wahine's tiki lighter, but my question is this... did Witco ever make lighters (tiki or non)?

Here's what I thought was a witco. A friend got it off ebay for me as a xmas present for me a few years ago. Even if it's not Witco, it still looks cool on the bar.

question for the witco in the knows,the globe? did they make it in more than one size?i found one today ,60"x30" and that seems bigger than i remember them being.of course i may be wrong.

Never thought much about this lighter other than it looked good on my bar. Can't believe it's Witco because of its very primitive carving technique - but, I thought it was interesting that the mechanism looks identical to Unkle John's previous post. I found this at a junque shop in New Hampshire.

how bout this? any old WITCO cataloges out there?

david, did you buy the globe. man I've been wanting one for my livingroom.

yes ,i did. are you into WITCO? or just the globe?

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2006-10-29 06:28 ]

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2006-10-29 06:32 ]

K

Tiki David-

WITCO made many variations of the world map or globe, but the piece that is viewed as the most common one is what I have heard refered to as "The World of WITCO". This piece is 60x30, but can be bigger based on the frame that surrounds the carvings. I have attached the 2 pictures I have of the piece I am describing. Does yours look like this?

I don't know what kind of lucky streak you are on at the moment, but glad to know the pieces are being rescued!!

Karbora

Hello Kim, Thank you . The one i have is just like the one on top (blue back ground). Over all including frame it measures 32 1/2" X62 1/2. " Hunting has been good these last couple months. (insert big smily here) TD

david, yes I'm heavily into witco. I own a fair amount, and even do witco style carvings. I've been looking for one of those world maps for a while now for my modern style living room. if you love witco, you need to see the hawaiian inn in daytona, and some of the surrounding places. o.k. I'm gonna try soon with the camera to post some witco pics.

[ Edited by: chisel slinger 2006-10-30 06:04 ]

Here is some of my Witco pieces:
The couple

The keys

and a crappy pix of my boat

close-up of the signature on boat:

And I have a couple of cats stored away someplace.

Here's my new pet Witco kitty:

M

I grew up in Manhattan (Beach that is)...

T

[ Edited by: tikicar 2009-03-30 15:19 ]

i just scored another witco out rigger canoe. only this one is just the canoe. no sail,no mast,no outrigger,no frame and no background. just the canoe.i have no idea what to do with it,flip it over and hang it over a door looks cool. i don't know, we will see. TD

R

On 2006-12-30 12:50, TIKI DAVID wrote:
i just scored another witco out rigger canoe. only this one is just the canoe. no sail,no mast,no outrigger,no frame and no background. just the canoe.i have no idea what to do with it,flip it over and hang it over a door looks cool. i don't know, we will see. TD

Lots of finds , not a lot of pics....

T

Hi there,
I'm new to Tiki Central and have been enjoying everyone's posts. I am a huge Witco fan and love all things Tiki. Here is my Witco collection. I am also including my Tiki mug collection. Would be willing to trade mugs and/or Witco pieces. Would also be interested in purchasing Witco. Email me if interested or if you just want to say hi. Thanks. Tim

Nice pad, Tim! I like how un-cluttered you kept it, tres "Tiki Modern". (My house is quite au contraire.)

I am an extreme tiki novice.. I can see the similarity and continuity in all of these pieces, but can anyone clarify for me what exactly witco is?

Whered'ya git that name, son !?

tiki tim, great interiors there, I used the same colors in my pad.

TD

tikitim,what part of the country are you in?

T

I live in Sacramento, California. The "Terminator" is my boss as I work for the State of Callifornia :)

tikitim, that is a sweet look!

T

Thank you. I appreciate the compliment:-) I had a blast creating it, one piece at a time.

T

Hi Tim, The place looks fantastic. Our house is done in Mid Century as well. One piece at at time. It never stops. Just when you think you have it just the way you want it, You find something else. We rotate some things because we like them so much when we found something else we couldn't part with it. Scott

H

On 2007-01-03 22:26, hala_kahiki wrote:
I am an extreme tiki novice.. I can see the similarity and continuity in all of these pieces, but can anyone clarify for me what exactly witco is?

Didn't you receive a copy of the BOT for Christmas? (check out page 253)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1611 replies