Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

The show me your Witco thread.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,611 replies

That's killer big bro!
What was the original retail price of the bar? I've always been curious what Witco originally sold for.......

Righteous score braddah T! :D

K

great find. Nomad I have not been able to find how much the bar sold for back in the day but I do know in the mid to late 60's a Witco Mainlader fountain sold for $440.00 and a Witco World globe sold for $90.00 and your basic tiki bar with 3 stools sold for $490.00 and a 4ft Hefner mask sold for $35.00

Cool, thanks for the info Keigs! What year was it made?

Heck of a score on that bar, you should see if you can talk Ken into carving you a top for it. It wouldn't have it's original top, but you'd have some excellent provinance to go with the replacement top.

S

On 2008-08-22 14:05, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
Those are some nice finds, I especially like both the lamp and the cat pieces and Duke, your collection is mad!

Fridays have seem to be my Witco find days lately. Either I wasn't paying attention to what was out there or it is just starting to show up, but I have been extremely lucky lately.

Here is today's purchase:

At 5 feet tall, this one is in great condition (needs to be cleaned). I equate this as Witco's version of a velvet nude.

Gotta love it!

PTD

Spotted one of these with a burnt orange cloth background on a weekend trip to Atlanta for $175. Debated for a while and left it. It's just so dang huge! IF someone out there is wanting it, send me a PM and I'll get you the contact info.

This color.

Your key to Beachbum Berry's books. Login and start concocting!

[ Edited by: Swanky 2008-10-21 12:08 ]

On 2008-10-19 18:48, Tikinomad wrote:
That's killer big bro!
What was the original retail price of the bar? I've always been curious what Witco originally sold for.......

Well lookey here what I found: The original 1973 receipt for my bar with stools, and the sofa and chair, all bought at the same store in Memphis where Elvis bought his Jungle Room furniture:

$ 798.- for the bar with barstools, that was not cheap back then.

WOWEEE! - Now that is the coolest thing I've seen in a long time! - Ooooh what I wouldn't give to be able to afford it all!

T

Wow, that is unbelievable to have the original receipt to what is already a super rare Witco piece. Amazing! The prices are much higher than I would have thought, no wonder the pieces are so rare today. They couldn't have sold many of the bigger pieces at those prices (considering what those prices would have been in today's dollars). The other thing I'm surprised to see is that when adjusted for inflation and compared to recent market prices, most of those items have not appreciated in value.

EDIT- I Googled and found a cool inflation calculator here:

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi

I entered the sofa price of 788.80 and used the receipt year of 1973 and in 2007 dollars (the calculator doesn't go any higher) it would be 3643.39. That helps put it into perspective, a Witco couch isn't exactly something any... ummm... Joe the Plumber ( :wink: ) could have easily afforded.

[ Edited by: TikiTres 2008-10-23 14:13 ]

That's crazy, thanks big bro! I recently scored some more witco at the flea market last weekend on my birthday of all days, I'll post some pictures this week! I split the findings with my friend Mike who has also been collecting Tiki for years and often teams up with me on our "archeological digs". The Witco findings included one African Bar (X-200), 2 Tiki stools, one long Tiki bench, 2 large Tiki wall sconces, a witco couple and my favorite, Biku! (He is one big Tiki) :)
I think I've stumbled upon some weird Witco vortex this month...ha ha!

Here's some pic's of Biku....

the bench...

the wall plaques...

and the couple....

Mike has the bar and stools in his apartment so I'll have to take some pictures of it next time I'm over and post them too!
Ma halo! :)

Jeeeez Tim, what great finds! Never seen that bench before! And the masks with the metal ends, amazing!

I gotta stop finding Witco for a little while big bro, my Tiki funds are depleted...ha ha! :)

Just found this huge Witco cat fireplace tool holder with tools this weekend in the wilds of Kazoo. He needs a good bath.

C

Picked this one up today:

Still has the Witco tag on the bottom with the Style number & shipment #, too :)

[ Edited by: croe67 2008-10-26 15:52 ]

Sweet score croe!

That coffee table is awesome!!!

On 2008-10-24 11:49, Tikinomad wrote:
I gotta stop finding Witco for a little while big bro, my Tiki funds are depleted...ha ha! :)

You do, or you will become one of those poor souls here afflicted with Witco mania! I just witnessed one of them, the one that ended up with half the recent Craig's List loot (which came to 30 pieces!) stretching the limits of his apartment to the breaking point. Tiz Tiz, tragic. :wink:

But here, for your enjoyment, proof that your bench and shields are a family:

RR

Just an observation, the corners of the bench are different from the one in the catalog. Is this common for production pieces to change over the life of one product line?

sundays find...

I love the catalog pictures, the "congo" set, very cool! I'm still trying to re-arrange all my latest Tiki finds big bro but no worries, my Tiki quest is far from over! Ha ha! :)

Can anyone tell me if this bed is Witco??

Thanks,

PTD

It is, but not the fabric. And even with the original fabric, the style is less than interesting.

On 2008-10-30 09:44, bigbrotiki wrote:
It is, but not the fabric. And even with the original fabric, the style is less than interesting.

The original fabric being?? I wonder if it is underneath the new?

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2008-10-30 11:13 ]

M

I'm not sure I could fall asleep in that bed :D

[ Edited by: Murph 2008-10-30 12:39 ]

On 2008-10-30 12:38, Murph wrote:
I'm not sure I could fall asleep in that bed :D

Me either, but I am going to try.

Besides, sleeping isn't the only thing that is done in bed!

I will be picking it up tonight!

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2008-10-30 12:53 ]

M

Besides, sleeping isn't the only thing that is done in bed!

I will be picking it up tonight!

PTD

Be careful, that fabric looks like dry clean only :D

I picked up the headboard this evening, from an ad placed on craigslist. I did not buy the entire bed, just the headboard...

This sucker is heavy! I am going to recover the panels, does anyone know what they might have originally looked like?

PTD

L

That headboard looks a million times better without that horrible fabric!

B

I've seen a lot of non-Tiki Witco with velvet fabric. But if you want to try to give this non-Tiki design a touch of Tiki, do faux leopard.
-Duke

Funny story about the headboard...early yesterday morning, I sent tiki hammer an email of the pictures of the Witco headboard.

An hour or two later, the response back is "Are you out of your mind"?

Right there and then I know this isn't going to happen. Another hour passes and I get a call from her asking if I would like her to go with me to look at the headboard. I tell her that would be great (maybe not if she really didn't like it) and I also tell her the seller contacted me and told me she would be available between 6:00 and 7:00 p.m. tiki hammer said she would get off work early and pick me up so we could be there in time. I waited patiently until 5:45 and called to find out where she was at. She was just leaving work and had at least a half hour to drive home and another half hour to drive back. I started to panic because I thought we were going to be late and wasn't sure if anyone else was going over to look. tiki hammer said not to worry and to trust her. In the meantime, the seller calls (6:00 p.m.) to find out if I am on my way. I tell her "I am so glad you called, I might be closer to 7:00, since my wife just left work and is not home yet". The seller said to hurry, because there were other people coming to look.

tiki hammer comes home and lolly gags around the house for what seemed an eternity and finally says, o.k., I'm ready to go. I'm stressing the whole time. It also starts raining and we have a truck, but no tarps or cover.

We make it over there around 6:45 and the house is completely dark. I fumble for my cell phone while tiki hammer backs in the driveway (wondering why she is backing into the driveway of a dark house). Before I can dial the number, the seller comes walking over from across the street. She is selling off the stuff in the house for her neighbor.

We introduce ourselves and go into the house. The headboard, of course, is upstairs. We go in and I look at the headboard while tiki hammer and the seller are chit-chatting and I am not paying any attention to them. They continue their conversation and begin talking about work. "You seem familiar","Haven't we met before"? Then they both burst out laughing and the gig is up. Ten minutes later I am loading this beast into the truck and we are on our way.

Turns out the seller, Jackie, works with tiki hammer. Yesterday when I replied to the ad, Jackie thought she recognized my name, but wasn't sure, so she went over to tiki hammer and asked her if this was me. Turns out tiki hammer had just opened my email and the pictures were up on her screen at the same time Jackie came over.

They both pulled a fast one on me.

Jackie mentioned she had about 10 people contact her about the headboard.

Someone even attempt to sabotage the sale by emailing her and telling her the headboard was "Witco" and she should be asking way more for it. Are people really that desperate??

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and I know I am not that desperate)!

On 2008-10-31 06:49, boutiki wrote:
I've seen a lot of non-Tiki Witco with velvet fabric. But if you want to try to give this non-Tiki design a touch of Tiki, do faux leopard.
-Duke

Duke,

I was thinking the same thing. I already have a bedroom set that is faux cheetah.

Two other ideas come to mind as well; convert this over to a back bar or shelves for my tiki mugs. The headboard is 6 feet tall and 6 1/2 feet wide.

PTD

This is my idea.

On 2008-10-31 07:32, catintexas wrote:

This is my idea.

And a great one at that, thanks!

PTD

Yes, very cool photo shop wizardry, I had to blink! I like the mug shelf idea too, PTD, from that perspective the design gets an altar-like quality.

....a Tiki triptyke! :)

new this week...

not witco... but good enough to hang with it.

Wow Tiki David, you are on fire, as usual! Nice scores, keep 'em coming!

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2008-11-04 11:00 ]

T

I love the side table Tiki David, very nice finds!

Question for the peps with all the 'WITCO' catalog's. have you ever seen
a bar and bar stools based on the "color sticks" design?

Tiki David,

When I bought the color sticks, someone sent me or posted a picture of a bar with the same color sticks in them. I haven't seen any pictures of stools with color sticks though it make sense they would have matched the bar?

PTD

if you find that pic ,could you post it or email it to me, thanks.

On 2008-11-05 11:30, TIKI DAVID wrote:

Here you go!

PTD

TD

On 2008-11-05 13:23, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

On 2008-11-05 11:30, TIKI DAVID wrote:

Here you go!

PTD

ok .thanks . but i think those are called melody sticks. i thinks color sticks have a more curved piece of wood with about 4 different color inserts into 8 spaces. more or less. kiegs makes a version for sale.

Oops, you are correct...I forgot they are Melody Sticks...close enough though??

PTD

TD

On 2008-11-05 11:12, TIKI DAVID wrote:
Question for the peps with all the 'WITCO' catalog's. have you ever seen
a bar and bar stools based on the "color sticks" design?

So.... that would be ...no?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1611 replies