Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

The show me your Witco thread.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,611 replies

I know Witco did Dolphins, and I know they did other, worse stuff that would have fit just beautifully into any fern bar, because they manufactured well into the 70s --the age of the dolphin. I was trying to hint at the fact that dolphins are not exactly Tiki room material. Notwithstanding that the above piece might even be from the 60s, the dolphin became a New Age icon in the 70s, so that is what the poor beast will be associated with henceforth.

TD

dolphins ,in my opinion, 'not Witco'

"Pets are welcome,Children 'MUST' be on leash" TD

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2009-05-07 03:18 ]

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2009-05-08 13:11 ]

TD

W-300

TD

AND THIS....

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2009-05-08 13:17 ]

..when can we officially change this to "tiki david's witco thread extravaganza show and tell"???

..or in this case "show" since he rarely "tells" us much about any particular piece... :)

TD

On 2009-05-08 14:59, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

..when can we officially change this to "tiki david's witco thread extravaganza show and tell"???

..or in this case "show" since he rarely "tells" us much about any particular piece... :)

This is for Skippy Mctipster,
I thought you were not all that interested in WITCO. Was i wrong?
It's a WITCO, W-300, 'VIKIKNG SHIP' on a lime green background. is that what you wanted?
More info on WITCO can be obtained from a nice older german gentelman here on TC who has wrote a book about it.And I'm sure he is most willing to tell you all about it.
OR was it the story of finding it that you wanted? estate sale. Sorry,not very interesting.
OR , MAYBE , JUST MAYBE,it's just your insatiable desire to 'HAVE' to make some kind smartass remark about everything.

Hope this helps.

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2009-05-09 09:42 ]

Dave, you've stirred up the mute Witness of Witco! Here's one thing that I never get tired of pointing out: Even though it has been mentioned here, and many Witco-ites are aware of it, those shiny brass shields on the ever so popular Viking ship are actually mundane drawer pulls! :) They work as eyes for the animal foot stools, too.

ALRIGHT! NEW grooves in the gray matter. Tippsy, are you paying attention?

very good, 'MUTE WITNESS OF WITCO'

sounds like it should come with tights and a cape,t-shirt and theme music.

Got this Today at the Brimfield Antique Show

[ Edited by: The Granite Tiki 2009-05-14 12:23 ]

......you're right sven....i've noticed that witco used a number of found objects in many of the cravings......that clock i found had drawer pulls mounted on it as a sort of design detail......i appreciate the resourcefulness of that...

as for david, yes, i'm not that big a fan of witco.....i do like select pieces here and there but i am more interested in the history and story behind them...my comments were on behalf of others here that might feel there was not enough info and were not as big a smart ass as me to actually say something about it...

thanks for the info on the viking ship though....keep up the good work.

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-05-14 05:36 ]

Nice score Granite Tiki, I really like the design of that Witco tiki. Is it a lamp base?

I should have mentioned, YES, it's a lamp. Electrical isn't working, in fact the cord is cut, but I plan to get a nice lamp shade and maybe a battery operated light bulb. I don't really want to mess with electricity. It's in a room I've been calling "The Witco Room" even though there were just a couple of witco stools and an iron sculpture, but now this piece means I can call it that confidently. :)

Very cool, I've had to re-wire several of my different tiki and lucite lamp finds. It's easy to do yourself. You can get all the supplies at home depot and it will only run ya a few bucks. Good luck with the witco room!

I am told that this bar and these stools are in a WITCO catalog some where.if someone has it could you post a copy here? I would like to read the description of it from the cat. thanks.
found this a couple years ago,it was in a basement covered with car parts and the color sticks covered with mirrors. the stools were being used as saw horse's.I knew it was WITCO , but nothing else until; a couple months ago ,I dragged it out of my storage unit and pulled the mirrors off.
so....some rub'n sand'n,stain'n reup'n glue'n it returns, (cue, music)

L

On 2009-05-14 15:59, TIKI DAVID wrote:

The color sticks patterns are my favorite. This is a great looking set.

Hell, those stools LOOK like saw horses! :D Is the upholstery and paint all original? Looks like the mirrors protected the colors from fading! Sorry, no catalog pic here.

On 2009-05-14 16:39, bigbrotiki wrote:
Hell, those stools LOOK like saw horses! :D Is the upholstery and paint all original? Looks like the mirrors protected the colors from fading! Sorry, no catalog pic here.

The stools were being used for more of base for a work bench,also covered with car parts. I think they look like the sticks.
The sticks were mostly broken up. I used what I could salvage to make a pattern to make 2 new ones.
All the colors you see is new marine grade vinyl.

The best I could do with what I had to work with.

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2009-05-17 01:56 ]

Doctor Z and I stumbled upon this weathered tiki against someone's front porch while we were out garage-saling. The owner isn't selling, unfortunately.

I assume he's Witco but not 100% sure.

They don't wanna sell cuz their freakin AC would fall out of the window. Being a Hot Rod guy, I equate this to the guy with the old car being reclaimed by the earth who says he gonna restore it "someday". I suppose a midnight mercenary rescue would be out of the question, huh?

On 2009-05-16 14:20, TIKI DAVID wrote:

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2009-05-17 01:56 ]

..does this mean we aren't meeting for rum drinks anymore?

"..does this mean we aren't meeting for rum drinks anymore?"

Laughing, no we will,And I'll still buy the first round,but the rest of my post was unnecessary.

some of todays finds,all from the same place all purchased at same time,1967.

even the shield/wall sconce light has a 'WITCO, care and feeding' booklet stapled to the back

..i can hear the screeching of boutiki's tires as he peels away toward your house david, after seeing that tiki bar....lock your doors and unplug your phone !! :)

i never saw that style of witco bar and stools before.....very cool. i only hope that one day i can retire and waste my days away like you do trolling the flea markets and estate sales collecting all that witco !!....nice scores...

..of course by the time i retire there will no longer be any witco to find at estate sales or flea markets.....guess i have to win the lottery...only way to buy my way out of this slavery called employment!!

just for you TIPPSY ,the back story.
neighbor hood garage sale, wed. is for the early birds. driving by this place the guy looked like he may have some stuff so i stopped,...nothing.
leaving I tell his wife I'm here to pic up the mugs you stole from the KON-TIKI years ago.(my usual opening line/conversation starter) any way ,she says"no mugs ,but...... would you like a TIKI bar? it's heavy and has leopard skin on it,and 3 stools. I say ,"I don't know ,but lets take a look." all the while she keeps bringing out more and more Witco. made the deal,got it all.
I love America, think i'll stay!
insert 'BIG' smiley here

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2009-05-20 13:52 ]

TD - too good!
nuff said

I'm so jealous. And I can't believe you're finding that stuff in Cleveland and not Cali. I can't even find a mug in Columbus.

thats the kinda story that obsessive collectors get knots in the belly just thinkin about !
you are a VERY lucky Garage saler!
now do ya need all that or ...?

Uh yeah, um, I'll be up at Lake Erie this weekend. Need a hand getting that stuff home? :wink:

L

Tiki David you have Witco radar! Love those 4 tiki on leopard shields.

This thread should really be entitled : "Hey Tiki David, Show Us Your Witco!"

On 2009-05-20 14:44, leleliz wrote:

This thread should really be entitled : "Hey Tiki David, Show Us Your Witco!"

careful...we've been down this road before.

I don't freakin' believe it! That bar is amazing! How did you maintain your composure? I think I would have peed myself & passed out in her driveway! :lol:

[ Edited by: BlackFish 2009-09-08 04:46 ]

up here in Canada ......NOTHING!
there is ebay and thats it !
you all are very lucy to stumble upon these in the wild ....so lucky.
what a fantastic thing this WITCO!

most definitely WITCO ,nice shape too.nice score.
where is the pic of your fountain?

[ Edited by: BlackFish 2009-09-08 04:46 ]

Way better than anything Tiki David has posted lately is my find today (ha-ha)!

Witco??

Just kidding David. Keep 'em comin'

PTD

found these hiding behind some ashtrays and bowls at the goodwill any luck ?
Anybody seen these before?

any help would be welcome , mahalo

Notco, but definitely inspired by, judging by the heavy wood grain. Cool.

thats 2 n 0 !
I'm on a cold streak!

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Jun 2, 2009 3:48 PM

I strongly suspect these aren't, but will probably grab 'em anyway cause this type of stuff is as rare as rockinghorse shit in NZ (and they have a certain naive charm). I have seen exactly 1 genuine Witco piece in NZ in all my years of collecting. I never even liked the stuff apart from the big tikis and fountains, but the constant flow of posts here and the work of a certain author have turned me on to the aesthetic.

Just over 1 foot tall each and about 6" across. Yes/no/maybe?

Thank You, and sorry to disappoint you, they ARE Witco. See Tiki Modern, page 95, second row in the middle, they are in that vein.

And Witco was indeed imported to Polynesia: The very first piece of Witco this Witco scholar ever found was a wall mask in Hilo, Hawaii!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-06-02 16:44 ]

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Jun 2, 2009 5:01 PM

Well, obviously I have not studied hard enough! Back to the books for me! One of those page 95 guys is pretty much identical and I can see he is going to look way cooler in the right light. I will post some pics when they arrive!
Hmm - maybe I'll have to track that outrigger wall hanging down now...

Another example of how Bill Westenhaver simply used the chain saw like a brush, as if he was painting a two-dimensional flat painting. That approach brought some interesting sculptural result in 3D ...and some real odd ones. This Ku only works from the front, like a sketch.

T

Witco found in Maine. Does anyone have a picture or a scan of this how it is supposed to look? I think it must have been a lamp the base is missing so he will only stand on his head.

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Jun 8, 2009 4:26 AM

Definitely sweeter in the right light (and with a clean & coat of beeswax paste):

:D

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1611 replies