Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

The show me your Witco thread.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,611 replies

H

One vote for and one against. LOL I figure somebody should have seen it before if it is.

I have one just like it in the warehouse somewhere. looks just like it but not as dark.
My vote is it is a Witco.

H

Thanks Tiki David. Maybe I will go back and pick it up. I could use a nice table in my bar. Is $150.00 a good price?

It is,no doubt, a good,sturdy, "bullet proof" table for your bar.
I know the son of a bitch is heavy.
The $150.00 price tag,I would try to get them down some.

"Pets are welcome,Children 'MUST' be on leash" TD

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2010-01-11 16:48 ]

H

Thanks again Tiki David!

Sturdy, heavy, yeah, Witco, maybe, but that design is ...?
Pretty generic. Just because it's Witco doesn't mean its cool. Unless you have a conquistador room to outfit, that is. With that screen name, maybe you do! :)

It does kinda match my WITCO,HACIENDA style bar.
But if it's not Witco, than it's still good enough to "hang" with Witco.
and if you like it ,put it in your bar.it still has that hand made primitive feel about it.
do not pay more than $100.00 for it.I'll sell you mine for $100.00/no tax

H

I should be heading back over to Toledo the weekend after next. I will see if it is even still there. It is a huge step up from my Rite Aid Pharmacy wicker table I have in there now. I won't pay more then 100.00 though! Thanks for all your help.

LOL,
Hombre, let me know how that works out for you.

I found this one today at the Goodwill, it is 11 inches tall. I'm not sure if it's Witco or a resonable facsimile.

It's Witco, great find! :)

Thanks, when I saw it sitting on the shelf it was displayed upside down and had to flip it over to recognize the tiki.

Ok, folks, what have I got here? This was purchased as a "Witco Tiki". Is it? If so, it's my first! If not, it was pretty cheap and I'll hang it anyway. It's about 15" tall.

Looks like the Witco style of a war club to me. But with all Witco or Witcolike pieces sometimes it's hard to tell at first glance what it is your looking at. For me anyway.

That one got me stumped, too! But it is so organic, it definitely looks like Witco...but Witco What!? War club seems like a good guess....

I wonder if there was originally telltale paint on it.

I'm gonna go look at this book I have with a lot of witco pictures in it. :wink:

[ Edited by: The Granite Tiki 2010-01-24 16:57 ]

Here are a few more photos. No identifiable markings that I can see. I'm inclined to believe that if the experts are stumped, it's probably not the real thing.

It's a cat.

No, a turkey drumstick.

No, it's a....

sorry, that's all I've got.

It's a back-scratcher!

The first thing I thought of when I saw it was a flower in a vase.

Flower in a vase is as good a guess as any. I swear I've seen this design before, but I can't find anything on this site or in Tiki Modern that looks like it. I think I'll mount it on some kind of animal print and tell all my friends it's Witco (except for the ones who read this and know I'm a fraud...)

Today...

Later,

PTD

Nice find, man! Pretty rare, have not seen too many of those around.

A couple I have in the home tiki bar

Found the stool in great condition, already re-upholstered.
The sword is 54" long with a 10" hilt. Paint is just about perfect. It hangs above the bar.

On 2010-02-15 10:21, bigbrotiki wrote:
Nice find, man! Pretty rare, have not seen too many of those around.

Thanks bigbro...I have never, ever seen one except in your book! Man was I stoked when I found it.

On another note, I bought these from a local friend today...

Thanks for thinking of me for the sale!

PTD

Wow, D! It looks like you got Tiki David's lucky Witco horseshoe. Be careful, though, you don't know where that thing's been! :D

????

PTD

T

On 2010-02-18 05:56, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
????

PTD

Now that you mention it, that Witco does look drunk.

I recently acquired five tiki's for my collection / basement tiki bar that came out of the Flamingo Rastaurant/Bar in Rockford, Illinois that was circa late 1950's-70's. Any idea if they are witco? There are two 3 foot tikis, a 4.5 footer and an awesome 7.5 and 8 footer. Any help in identifting would be great. Thanks!

Holy COW!

it doesn't matter if its Witco, that's crazy sick!

I do vote for Witco, but there are better versed experts around here. I am sure they will have a definitive verdict.

[ Edited by: Tiki-Troll 2010-04-13 18:33 ]

Thanks man. I've been collecting tiki for 13 years...its the coolest stuff I'm sure I'll ever get. I'm lucky...and lucky that my wife gave me the green light to buy it.

Great score, man! Congrats!

K

Wow! great score John, they are all Witco except for the small one in the first picture.

Wonderful Witco finds Mainlander John! :)
I like how Biku (the Witco Tiki in the 3rd photo) is poping thru the ceiling tile in your Tiki room!
Great stuff.....

[ Edited by: Tikinomad 2010-04-14 07:54 ]

T

My first Witcos...found them both today !
Me so happy !

JB

I too got my first Witco piece this weekend. The lovely cat is named "Scott is indebted to Brenda forever".

Not sure if someone else has posted these, but I recently inherited them. I'm almost positive the wall tiki is Witco, not sure about the shield.

Anyone have any idea of value for sales purposes? Thanks in advance.

awesome score john mainlander for someone who has been a member for 6 years and made a post about once a year - LOL !

actually, what more can you tell us about the flamingo where you found them?? in terms of tiki history do you know any more about the place?

Thanks for the compliment.
First off... StrangelyI've actually only been a paying member on here for a year...
Why it says 6 years? No idea.
Anyhow, I've done a lot of internet research on the Flamingo- but have come up pretty short. I know that it was in the 300 block of East State Street in Rockford. There is now a parking lot in the spot that it was located. Much of what I know about the bar/restaurant comes from asking people my parents age. (I grew up in Rockford) According to my folks they used to go there for dinner in the late 60's and early 70's. I believe it closed in the late 70's, much like everything else in downtown Rockford. It was a Polynesian themed restaurant. They remember the tikis. They said that they used to serve drinks in tiki mugs there. (I also picked up about 10 OMC / Orchids nugs in the deal that supposedly came from the auction of the business). The one thing that everyone, including the nice older gentleman that I bought them from remembers about the place is that there was a blind man who played lounge music on the piano in the bar. Everyone remembers that the guy was one hell of a lounge pianist. At any rate, I'm a lucky man.

On 2010-05-07 14:16, John the Mainlander wrote:
Anyhow, I've done a lot of internet research on the Flamingo- but have come up pretty short. I know that it was in the 300 block of East State Street in Rockford. There is now a parking lot in the spot that it was located. Much of what I know about the bar/restaurant comes from asking people my parents age. (I grew up in Rockford) According to my folks they used to go there for dinner in the late 60's and early 70's. I believe it closed in the late 70's, much like everything else in downtown Rockford. It was a Polynesian themed restaurant. They remember the tikis. They said that they used to serve drinks in tiki mugs there. (I also picked up about 10 OMC / Orchids nugs in the deal that supposedly came from the auction of the business). The one thing that everyone, including the nice older gentleman that I bought them from remembers about the place is that there was a blind man who played lounge music on the piano in the bar. Everyone remembers that the guy was one hell of a lounge pianist. At any rate, I'm a lucky man.

Indeed, John, you are! Such rare Witco specimens, and all in one flock! Thank you for the info on the Flamingo, sounds fascinating. That one has probably flown by most of the paper ephemera collectors in the Tiki field, because of the un-Polynesian name... OR: Would anybody here have any match/menu/postcard imagery from it?

Witco, yes? Not sure what it belongs to, but I think it is part of another carving...

Any thoughts?

PTD

On 2010-05-09 15:24, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

Any thoughts?

PTD

A Tiki Dog Bowl?

I don't think I have to ask if this is Witco...

Ha, I love how because of slight individual carving variations the same Witco piece can have different expressions, this one looks sad because she was told to stand in the corner :)

She was givin' me sass!

Nice find Brandomoai!

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, May 12, 2010 5:07 PM

On 2010-05-11 17:08, Pikeys Dog wrote:

On 2010-05-09 15:24, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

Any thoughts?

PTD

A Tiki Dog Bowl?

Maybe it belongs here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35333&forum=6&hilite=conquistador

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1611 replies