Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

That's just wrong! The un-Tiki thread:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 524 replies

On 2008-03-01 20:07, 8FT Tiki wrote:
Invitations

OK, I swear I had nothing to do with these! I just work there.

Great for target practice. BLAM! BLAM! BLAM!

UB

On 2007-10-06 05:55, cheekytiki wrote:
How about spreading some Aloha spirit with this!
Its called the Tiki Ti, you can see the name etched on the barrel

Welcome to the last thing you see,. if you learn what's in a Ray's Mistake.

~ The Management ~

TS

On 2008-03-01 20:07, 8FT Tiki wrote:
Invitations

OK, I swear I had nothing to do with these! I just work there.

Uh...Ohhh...It looks like it may have been a ripoff of Tiki Diablos mask...Someone see if my hunch is right! Danny may have claim to rights against Hallmark if indeed this is his design(I'm pretty sure it is)...

On 2007-07-25 13:43, bigbrotiki wrote:
Saw this bamboo wind chime at the drug store today:

What's wrong with this picture? ....I wonder what other resin Tiki finery this summer will bring....

Besides the $100 dollar coladas...Why is the hut represented, made of logs and boards?
I can assure you i had NOTHING to do with it!... :lol:

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2008-03-01 23:00 ]

Hmmmm...no strings. :lol:

T

On 2008-03-03 21:05, VampiressRN wrote:
Hmmmm...no strings. :lol:

FAIL

...and on one of my fave shooping sites I spied these today... :o

Tiki Mask Metal Wall Sculpture Set

As the sun sets over the ocean, the sound of drumbeats lures you to a fire-lit luau. Mask Wall Sculptures are the island equivalent of the Greek drama mask pair. Delightful reminder of island celebrations will hang individually or as a set. Each metal wall sculpture is handcrafted and handpainted with vivid colors.

B

On 2008-03-15 17:15, VampiressRN wrote:
...and on one of my fave shooping sites I spied these today... :o

Tiki Mask Metal Wall Sculpture Set

As the sun sets over the ocean, the sound of drumbeats lures you to a fire-lit luau. Mask Wall Sculptures are the island equivalent of the Greek drama mask pair. Delightful reminder of island celebrations will hang individually or as a set. Each metal wall sculpture is handcrafted and handpainted with vivid colors.

I don't know...they kinda remind me of SHAG! LOL

J

I now believe the genre has devolved as far as it can go! (At least I hope it doesn't get any worse!)
Hannah Montana Tiki Playset

T

On 2008-04-07 12:33, JenTiki wrote:
I now believe the genre has devolved as far as it can go! (At least I hope it doesn't get any worse!)
Hannah Montana Tiki Playset

Umm, Jen. I'm sorry to tell you this. It does get worse.
Much worse...

J

Yeah, I'll give you that one Kate. Somehow I had managed to ignore that thread until you pointed it out. Thanks.

NOT!

T

On 2008-04-07 16:24, JenTiki wrote:
Somehow I had managed to ignore that thread until you pointed it out.

I'm so sorry. Are your eyes going to be okay?

J

On 2008-04-07 16:49, Tiki-Kate wrote:

On 2008-04-07 16:24, JenTiki wrote:
Somehow I had managed to ignore that thread until you pointed it out.

I'm so sorry. Are your eyes going to be okay?

As soon as I wipe up the blood! :o

BK

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I think I burned my retinas!!!!

Sadly, this one is mine. The FSU tiki.
What started off as an interesting idea turned into the abomination set before you now. The paint was really just for this picture. It ended in the woods behind my house with the other bad tikis I've done (someday, someone is going to discover the worst tiki garden of all time).

T

I think this counts as a prime example of un-tiki:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=27795&forum=12&3

If you have to have a plush tiki, this one ain't too bad:

It comes from this site.

Haha, this brings to mind the classic Devo song " :music: Mongoloid, he was a Mongoloid... :music: "

He is certainly better (in a Japanese designer toy sort of way) than that dreaded NEON TIKI TRIBE!!!

And I appreciate Blindy's guts, objective detachment and sense of humor about his own attempts at Tiki :) .

I really like these tiki napkins. They're actually pretty tasteful, especially considering they come from Archie McPhee!

Tiki Napkins

J

On 2008-04-17 11:25, JanetMermaid wrote:

What's so "un-tiki" about those? They have a pretty traditional tiki on them and some tapa design. They're not loud, garish, or brightly colored. Can anyone tell me why these would qualify as "un-tiki"? I hope not, because I have some in my bar. :)

S

On 2008-04-17 12:29, JenTiki wrote:

On 2008-04-17 11:25, JanetMermaid wrote:

What's so "un-tiki" about those? They have a pretty traditional tiki on them and some tapa design. They're not loud, garish, or brightly colored. Can anyone tell me why these would qualify as "un-tiki"? I hope not, because I have some in my bar. :)

Well, that design around the edge is clearly inspired by a Papua New Guinea mask... :wink:

G

Not at thing un-tiki about those napkins. But let's not judge as un-tiki anything that's "loud, garish, or brightly colored" or we will all have to toss out our shirt collections, okay? :)

Kids! Why confuse issues? It's not that hard to differentiate the different art forms, no?:

Primitive carvings: Look bad in garish colors

Graphics depicting primitive art: Mostly look bad in garish colors (but a talented artist, when making the right choices, might pull it off)

Aloha shirts: Are supposed to have garish colors, and look lame in muted monochromes

This is not according to "because I say so", but simply deducted from observing the evolution and history of Tiki style.

G

Yeah, I think we've got it, Sven. My comment was mostly tongue-in-cheek. I know what Jen meant. :)

I know and you know that you know, Rob, but I bet you some folks read your comment and say "Hey, yuh, he's right...Hawaiian shirts are loud and obnoxiuos, so why not Tikis!" I am just trying to fight confusion.

K

Actually, most Aloha shirts worn by the locals in the islands ARE very muted. They seem to consider the loud colorful shirts to be "a joke" not something they would wear. Even the hotels have adopted somewhat muted aloha designs for staff as they simply won't wear something garish. Sad, I think, but true. So, I think you are doing a bit of "because I say so" on that one.
Now, in my opinion, the loiuder the better. Reverse print aloha wear is a BLIGHT on the island landscape and all wearers of it should be burned at the stake. You need to see an approaching aloha shirt from a minimum of 3 blocks away.

On 2008-04-18 00:34, Kaiwaza wrote:
Actually, most Aloha shirts worn by the locals in the islands ARE very muted.

This simply is more proof of Polynesian pop being a genre of the MAINLAND. Loud shirts are considered bad taste in the islands just like Tiki style. ...And I like your assessment of the "reverse print" look, and your three block rule.

This said, the bright vs muted shirt discussion has NOTHING to do with this thread, so lets not continue it to avoid confusing the issue, please.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-04-18 07:33 ]

Has this guy shown his pretty face around this thread before? Its an Adult Men's Fat Tiki Warrior Costume from Amazon, and there are only two left in stock, so hurry up.

On 2008-05-13 05:41, Kong-Tiki wrote:

Has this guy shown his pretty face around this thread before? Its an Adult Men's Fat Tiki Warrior Costume from Amazon, and there are only two left in stock, so hurry up.

Time for Pinata?

I ran across this joint while strolling along a lock and dam down by the Mississippi River near Trempealeau, Wisconsin last night. After looking inside and detecting not a single trace of anything even remotely PolyPop, I suggested they change their name to "Naught A Tiki".

Weblog: Eye of the Goof

[ Edited by: MrBaliHai 2008-06-21 18:34 ]

CAPTAIN AMAZING. I knew you couldn't change.

CASANOVA FRANKENSTEIN. I knew you'd know that.

AMAZING. Oh, I knew that--and I also knew you'd know that I'd know you knew.

CASANOVA. But I didn't know! I only knew that you'd know that I knew. ...Did you know that?

AMAZING. Of course.

So, am I being cast in the role of Casanova Frankenstein, or Captain Amazing, and why?

No reason...I just like doing things like that!

Ah, just a momentary whimsy is all.

Hmmm....this ain't the right thread to do that in though, too much blood spilled here, it's a "touchy" thread with a loose trigger finger.

On 2008-06-22 08:46, bigbrotiki wrote:
Hmmm....this ain't the right thread to do that in though, too much blood spilled here, it's a "touchy" thread with a loose trigger finger.

And derailing threads with off-topic replies is generally frowned upon as well.

whoops, sorry! didn't mean to unhinge anyone. Just being funny. The thread title seemed to encourage funniness.

I Like Pie!

Just a reminder..... taking things too seriously has been known to cause high-blood pressure and decreased enjoyment of adult beverages.

And then.....

I have to disagree with the Loud Shirt statement from earlier. Not entirely, just mostly.

Some of my 'best' shirts are simple prints in colors that are easy on the eye. Brown on Tan on Cream prints, Blue on Blue on White, etc.... Some of my 'other best' shirts can be seen from orbit and have been mistaken for geothermic anomalies from the Land-Sat satellite system.

I get more compliments when wearing the simple prints. I like compliments, it leads to conversation which leads to new ohana.

I get more 'comments' when wearing the loud shirts. I like comments, because it can lead to conversation which leads to new ohana.

'Comments' can also lead to me punching someone in the head, which leads to me being arrested, which leads to a major increase in the local rum stocks because I am behind bars and not drinking said rum.

The loud shirts do have an advantage in that they serve as pretty good ahole detectors as the people who comment the most or the loudest tend to be the biggest idiots/morons/aholes.

TT

On 2008-06-21 18:33, MrBaliHai wrote:
I ran across this joint while strolling along a lock and dam down by the Mississippi River near Trempealeau, Wisconsin last night.

I hope you ate at the Trempealeau Hotel?? A can't miss meal opportunity.

On 2008-06-22 13:24, ted tiki wrote:

That's where we stayed. I had the Walnut Burger for dinner. The "Tiki" bar was down the road about a half mile from the hotel.

[ Edited by: MrBaliHai 2008-06-22 14:00 ]

TT

I often will buy a box full of the walnut burgers--I'm addicted to them. The hotel is awesome. The camp site down the road isn't bad as well.

On 2008-06-22 13:59, MrBaliHai wrote:

On 2008-06-22 13:24, ted tiki wrote:

That's where we stayed. I had the Walnut Burger for dinner. The "Tiki" bar was down the road about a half mile from the hotel.

[ Edited by: MrBaliHai 2008-06-22 14:00 ]

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jun 24, 2008 8:16 AM

On 2008-06-22 08:58, MrBaliHai wrote:

On 2008-06-24 08:16, GROG wrote:

On 2008-06-22 08:58, MrBaliHai wrote:

Guilty as charged, occifer GROG. Put on the cuffs and take me away...:wink:

I work for the rail road. You do not want to see something get derailed. It gets real ugly and really really expensive really, really, really, fast

On 2008-06-24 10:49, TikiRick wrote:
I work for the rail road. You do not want to see something get derailed. It gets real ugly and really really expensive really, really, really, fast

picks please??

Jeff(bigtikidude)

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Gen-U-ine Tiki Bar Display

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

JGA

This is one of the most informative and hilarious threads ever. The pancake on the bunny pic made Diet Coke come out my nose.

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Jan 23, 2019 10:55 PM

Bump, because for some reason today, Amazon thought I'd be interested in this horrible thing:

Tiki Totem Costume

T

Lots of times that is based on things you have bought in the past.

Have you bought any loosely related tiki items, it could be a "tiki mug" something like that.

Ha! now that is funny.

Man, The Wife would get that for me in a heartbeat. Not because she's ignorant about the sins of clown tiki. On the contrary--she'd get it because it's so awful and feign ignorance as to why I suffered a sudden conniption!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 524 replies