Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

That's just wrong! The un-Tiki thread:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 524 replies

I bet there are plenty of people here who don't know who bigbrotiki is, and a "who's who" would probably be helpful!

Maybe I'm a kiss ass sycophant, but when I found out he was here at Tiki Central posting among us, I got as giddy as a school girl.

I don't think there are many "scenes" where you can pick the brains of the real movers and shakers quite as easily as we can here.

I also don't think any one should be surprised or annoyed that the guy who wrote the book might tend to be a purist. It's the extremists who set the bar for everyone else. The very fact that he is here discussing it with us means his purism is a blessing, not a curse.

Did I express myself well in this post or did it just come off as ass kissy? :)

At the risk of further pushing this thread to places it was not meant, I'd like to know everyone's opinion of taking a non-tiki new item, like some we've seen here (mainly I speak of Party City/Target type items) and using them as raw materials for your own tiki creativity. For instance, I can't afford real Granite Tikis for my lounge, so I bought cheap plastic and resin tikis, and faux granite spray painted them.

J
JTD posted on Sat, Aug 5, 2006 2:27 PM

Thanks for bringing up the TiPSY scale, Bigbro. I think we do need to think in terms of a scale of "tikiness" for some of these items. Yes, there may be elements of tiki, but the other elements water them down - and for some, totally overpower them.

When I see the backyard party shack, for example, I don't get bothered because I'm a tiki traditionalist (which I am). I could have a great time there and I have had LOTS of fun at places just like it. However, I rate it pretty low on a tiki scale though, maybe a 2 on a scale of ten. Or, as my dad sometimes told me, "It's a good start" - meaning its got a way to go, tiki-wise.

I hope TC members can give and take that kind feedback without getting riled up.

JTD

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore - removed off-topic post - 2006-08-05 16:16 ]

TD

A

I know that humor can lighten up a serious topic to keep it from getting out of hand, but I decided to remove the string of off-topic posts here because I do feel that this is an important topic that needs further (level-headed) discussion and shouldn't be sidetracked.

I don't want it to devolve into bashing, but I also don't want it to devolve into an off-topic discussion. Let's keep it civil!

]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2006-08-05 16:45 ]

M

On 2006-08-05 14:11, Humuhumu wrote:
It's a bit like showing up at a basketball court where a game is in play, and diving in trying to play football.

Although I hate sports metaphors with a passion (blame my 20+ years of corporate monkeydom), I think this is an apt analogy. I would never sign up on a punk forum and start bleating about how much I love Michael Bolton (not unless I wanted a virtual super-wedgie, anyway). Jimmy Boo-fay and Caribbean party culture is fine, but when I come here, I want to read about Polynesiana as seen through a mid-century American set of filters.

That being said, I see nothing wrong with a bit of genre mixing. The art collection in my home bar includes Polynesian, Mayan, Korean, Chinese, and African. As long as the combined effect says "Tiki" to me, I'm cool with it.

On the other hand, some things are just obvious cash-ins, and that's what I think Sven is going after.

P
pablus posted on Sat, Aug 5, 2006 4:44 PM

At least we were replaced with Ozzy.
I would have been mortified if it had been Brittany Spears or Shakira...

...or those jerks, The Mai Kai Gents.

:wink:

I now see the wrong doings I was guilty of. Will work much harder on making my place true to the Tiki scene. Thanks to everyone who showed me the difference. I really enjoy this site and the long time members. Looking forward to learning more and more as I go along.

drslingshot

Z

So no more shopping at 'Magenta Tikis R Us" for me!

It seems to me that some designs, while admirable in their own right, look too new and glossy and clean to be considered by many TC members as tiki. The color scheme has to be just so.

We can only refine our perception by seeing examples, as in any decorative style. Having some rules does make it more than "just" fun, it makes our lives richer through understanding.

I was just wondering what the "Flat Earth Trading" company would think of this thread. I was actually fairly surprised to see their products very rarely fit my definition of tiki.

On 2006-08-05 14:15, RevBambooBen wrote:

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore - removed off-topic post - 2006-08-05 18:17 ]

The devil made me do it!

http://www.anchorbrewing.com/

T

On 2006-08-05 14:11, Humuhumu wrote:

It's a bit like showing up at a basketball court where a game is in play, and diving in trying to play football. The folks there are playing basketball, they enjoy basketball. There's nothing wrong with your wanting to play football, but that's just not the place for it. Telling the folks who are trying to play basketball "I thought we were just trying to play a game and have fun!" is missing the point.

Really great analogy, Humu - I couldn't have said it better....

Hanford,

I'm glad that you added the new Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian pop link below the "Tiki Central - Open 24 Hours" graphic at the top of the page. This lets the newbies know right up front what the site is all about. Maybe its just me, but I'd hate to see lots of thread excerpts getting put up here as an example of "what not to post" after the fact.

A-A

T

Did anyone else see the party city neon tiki mask hanging behind the bar at Hala Kahiki? Kinda frosted my tiki weenie.

Here's an example of how this site has fine tuned my interest in Polynesian Pop.

When we first moved into our new house (going on two years now) and were trying to fill the walls, we found this mounted poster (it really looked like a painting though wasn't) and we loved it, still do.

But we had it hanging in the Tiki Lounge, I knew it wasn't Tiki, because Cuba is not Tiki, but the tropical look, and especially the sea plane made me think enough of the movie Tiara Tahiti to justify hanging it in the lounge. As time went by, and the more I learned from the experts here, the more I would cringe when I'd look at it up on the wall. Then when it came time to officially open the Tiki Lounge to friends, I had to take it down. I love it, but it's not Tiki! We moved it to the bathroom.

On 2006-08-05 14:23, The Granite Tiki wrote:

I don't think there are many "scenes" where you can pick the brains of the real movers and shakers quite as easily as we can here.

Thank you. And in turn I have say that I see it as a privilege that I can have such a direct link to a community where I can witness what my book has inspired (or in this case caused to go awry) and be up to date on all the little facets, future happenings and past finds. It is very rewarding, thank you all.

At the risk of further pushing this thread to places it was not meant, I'd like to know everyone's opinion of taking a non-tiki new item, like some we've seen here (mainly I speak of Party City/Target type items) and using them as raw materials for your own tiki creativity. For instance, I can't afford real Granite Tikis for my lounge, so I bought cheap plastic and resin tikis, and faux granite spray painted them.

I think that is a good point, but as you said, this thread, by its title, should be more about the gross transgressions and garish commercial exploitation than the borderline products and situations, or it'll turn into nit-picking.

But I want to answer your question because I understand that many TCers are struggling with basic Tiki un-availability (QUALITY Tiki that is) in their region.

It might wrongly appear that the Southern California Polynesiacs (Hoity-Toities ?) are sitting on their high horse here, next to OA, and are discriminating against the Party City dependents in the other more remote states or countries. OR, even worse, that those with deep pockets are snubbing the Tikiphiles with a lower budget.

This is not the case, and certainly not the objective of this thread. Like the Target Tikis, there are currently mass-produced items out there that are perfectly acceptable (even if not mind-bogglingly original) and that can be, like you suggested, used creatively as building blocks for a fine home hideaway or yard.

Unfortunately I can't remember, but quite awhile ago someone showed me an item made with those plastic party store Tikis string lights cut in half and painted brown, and it actually looked good. If the Granite Tikis you are talking about are gracing the opening page of your photo link, GT, you sure got me, I actually took them for real, thinking "Cool, I wonder where he got those, out there."

Maybe (since image posting is so easy now!) in Creating Tiki someone can start a "Tiki-on-a-budget" thread that shows creative ways of utilizing and improving on contemporary cheap plastic Tikis, much like the book "PAD" hinted at.

And believe me, you non Tiki state folks out there, Southern California is now generally picked clean of affordable vintage Tiki, and if it comes to Witco, there never was that much here, you outlanders have a much better chance of finding it in the wild in your neighborhood. Keep up the good work, your home Tiki bars are the MISSIONS of Tiki in the desert!

Now back to "THIS IS JUST WRONG!" visuals...

G
GROG posted on Sun, Aug 6, 2006 2:17 AM

Maybe (since image posting is so easy now!) in Creating Tiki someone can start a "Tiki-on-a-budget" thread that shows creative ways of utilizing and improving on contemporary cheap plastic Tikis, much like the book "PAD" hinted at.

Coming soon from GROG. Gotta get a digital camera, though.
(and some time to document it)

[ Edited by: GROG 2006-08-06 02:19 ]

UB

I think a lot of us had shitty Tiki bars our first time around.
Mine was, and you guys were cool and I learned from ya. Artists' too.
I’m still havin fun Damn It!

K

On 2006-08-05 14:23, The Granite Tiki wrote:
I also don't think any one should be surprised or annoyed that the guy who wrote the book might tend to be a purist. It's the extremists who set the bar for everyone else. The very fact that he is here discussing it with us means his purism is a blessing, not a curse.

Mmmkay.. as long as we are on this subject..

Here's the problem: by all accounts, Sven is a nice guy. Everybody that I know who knows him tells me so. I wouldn't know because I've never met him.

Granite, if I address this to Sven directly now it will make more sense.

The problem Sven, is not that you wrote the book. It is the near constant reminders here and the fact that it always reads as if tiki started with you penning the BOT. Many of us really love your book, and we bought it as soon as we could lay hands on a copy. But many of us grew up with tiki. We have been around it our entire lives. I've had a CocoJoes and HIP collection since I was about 5. So everytime you come on and tell us how you defined it as a style, it smacks of ownership.

That is why DAVID hounds you. That is why Rodeo has his jockeys twisted, and I frankly get bored of reading it again and again.

So back to Granite... I am glad Sven is such a purist. I really like his book. But I know (and have known) a shitty plywood parrothead bar from a Kahiki without a book to refer to or an author to ask.

And TC is inundated by that sort of un-tiki because it has been mod-ed to death, the cheerleaders who "love all" rule, U-Mod is for fretful people who should stay off the internet, PC has become the rule here, there has been too much segregation (Cali-centric forums, Grand membership, the bilge being moved mess, and endless etceteras) and it has run off maybe 75% of its knowledgable and content providing users.

When TC decides to begin catering to those who can and do provide solid content, and becomes about those users and not the Pockytiki's of the world, then it may come back to "the old days".

So, in the spirit of Feelin' Zombified's effort, there's a bunch of what I happen to know a lot of folks would like to post here, but choose not to for fear of making waves.

Ahu

-edited for typos and nothing else-

[ Edited by: KuKuAhu 2006-08-06 23:16 ]

Ahu, you nailed it perfectly.

TS

Maybe this reply/post could be slightly off the topic, but I think alot of people here are failing to see that tiki lifestyle is your own interpertation of paradise in some exotic far off place. This thread shouldn't stab at people's attempts to build tiki bars, but in fact,show the ugly side of merchandise out there being sold off as tiki. There are even Grand Members on here praising the fact that Target, Big Lots, and such are carrying tikis and the like in other threads, and I personally feel that it is all just "made in china" mass produced garbage! I am not a purist by any means, and I think that the term "tiki purist" is a term used too loosely here on TC. I mean if you want to get technical about tiki, there would only be a handful or so of true tiki idols/designs that would have any religious signifigances in the true aspect of the culture. Point being when "tiki" went mainland successfully in the latter 50's in areas such as Downey,Rosemead,Lakewood and such cities in So Cal, it was done by the creativity of mostly white non-islander artists who incorporated "their own idea" of what tropical paradise meant to them and thats what I think the tiki lifestyle is all about...Artistic interpretation of paradise. If there is any such thing as a tiki purist,then in their world would be void of Shags,Boskos, Crazy Als,and Bamboo Bens. I for one would never throw a "Party City" tiki party, but if you live in the midwest and that is all you know tiki to be, then enjoy your party and cheers to you for having tiki spirit while you learn the curve of poly pop when reading TC topics!
I also have to agree with BBT that there should be a topic started that deals with "Tiki on a Budget"
Correction- I meant Grog about tiki on a budget

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2006-08-07 01:26 ]

On 2006-08-06 20:46, KuKuAhu wrote:
So every time you come on and tell us how you defined it as a style, it smacks of ownership.
That is why DAVID hounds you. That is why Rodeo has his jockeys twisted, and I frankly get bored of reading it again and again.

Reading it AGAIN AND AGAIN...I am really sorry, all, I truly thought I had not done that THAT much. I really can't tell if I DID, or if some just FEEL I did.

I know that I like adding information to posts where, when I find subject matter or images here that are also in the BOT, I refer to the page number where it can be found for reference, but that was because a.) I feel I know the book better than anybody, and b.) it was an easy way around image posting, which previously gave me such a hard time. Is that what you refer to? Others have done that too, and they don't seem to claim ownership.

I recoil in horror at the thought that EACH time I did that I came across as a Know-it-all, been-there-done-that hoity-toity. For me it was just the joy of having found a related item and being able to add to the information.

What I know I AM guilty off, as I said earlier, is being too involved, engaged, and passionate about Tiki, which leads to being opinionated sometimes, but which should be understandable considering I wrote the book (there, I said it again!). For some, my posts might seem to have the tone of "I wrote the book" hovering over them, even if I don't say it outright, I apologize if they do. But it might just be the knowledge that I did that taints them in the mind of reader.

And really don't think I stated I OWN the subject either, I think I made it clear repeatedly that I don't mind if people use imagery from the book. On the contrary, I am THRILLED to see images from it used in so many ways! But then, should I refrain from noting that, and instead deny it by saying "...oh they must have gotten it from some other place.."?

The problem Sven, is not that you wrote the book. It is the near constant reminders here and the fact that it always reads as if tiki started with you penning the BOT.

I know there is a fair number of old time, pre-BOT Tiki aficionados and collectors on this board, and I think it might be frustrating for them sometimes to have been in on it way ahead of the pack and not having a way of getting acknowledged for that. And it might feel unfair that I come along and seemingly get all the glory of discovery.

But the fact simply is that, on a scale where it matters in contemporary pop culture, and to more people than not here, Tiki DID not exist until the BOT came out. Not only had it been completely forgotten (other than by the aforementioned aficionados), it simply never had been recognized and defined in its own heyday! That was done by the BOT only. Many might feel that this is outrageous, Napoleon-esque self-aggrandizement on my part, but it is what it is.

I don't know what to do about that other than take my book back, and never mention it again. Which I can't, physically...both! It is too late, arrrgh, it's in my blood...! But I hope my un-humble self will be able to refrain from those NEAR CONSTANT REMINDERS!

Sigh, what was this post about again?

KuKuAhu, it just seems to me that this thread, and Hanford's new introduction to the site link are great steps toward maintaining the civility that is necessary to not scare off new members, while avoiding the PC stuff that bring about posts that praise un-tiki or watered down things.

This thread (if we'd stop derailing it with conversation about BigBro's credentials :wink: ) and the "Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop" page, can be the start of a better future for the site.
Am I too optimistic?

A quick word on pockeytiki, HE WAS A HIGHSCHOOL STUDENT!! A KID!!! A young guy wanting to dive headfirst into Tiki because he was excited. Sure, maybe some of us were too patient, and maybe some of us were not patient enough, but do you really see his time here as some sort of benchmark?

Sven, I'm sorry I helped derail this thread.
Hanford, I'm sorry if you need to take the time to erase all this.

I'll try to legitimize it all by throwing in this:

It's a "tiki" beer keg cooler.

[ Edited by: The Granite Tiki 2006-08-07 08:02 ]

[ Edited by: The Granite Tiki 2006-08-07 08:04 ]

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2006-08-07 08:45 ]

G
GROG posted on Mon, Aug 7, 2006 8:55 AM

GROG, being the cartoonist who draws the Bamboo Ben comic, can relate to Sven's frustrarion, and agrees with Granite about getting this back on topic, so GROG (Bamboo Ben cartoonist) thinks this qualifies as tiki atrocity and submit this:

This is a Bamboo Ben tiki bar sold to GROG (Bamboo Ben cartoonist) for $1950. It was $2000, but Ben mark it down $50 for GROG (Bamboo Ben cartoonist) since GROG (Bamboo Ben cartoonist) draws the Bamboo Ben comic.

Sven, you should change your screen name to " Sven-Book of Tiki Author", then you won't have to explain that you wrote the Book of Tiki (for all the newbies who don't know who bigbrotiki really is),so you don't come across as a self-agrandizing know-it-all, been-there-done-that-hoity-toity. By the way, for all you newbies, Sven Kirsten is just his nom de plum, Sven's real name is Jon Schmidt which is just German for John Smith. He changed his name to be more eye- catching like Thor Heyerdahl ( whose real name IS John Smith)

GROG (Bamboo Ben cartoonist) would like to apologize to TC for making humorous jab at Bamboo Ben ( and Sven, too).GROG (Bamboo Ben cartoonist) feels that GROG (Bamboo Ben cartoonist), being the cartoonist who draws the Bamboo Ben comic has the qualification to make fun of Ben since GROG (Bamboo Ben cartoonist) does that in his comic strip in Tiki Magazine. GROG (Bamboo Ben cartoonist), being Ben's gay -lover (GROG only one-of-many, and not have exclusivity in that department) feels that GROG (Bamboo Ben cartoonist) is a bit of a "Bamboo Ben purist" and knows Ben well enough to make humorous jab at Ben. So, GROG (Bamboo Ben cartoonist) would like to apologize to TC as coming across as a Bamboo Ben know-it-all and and is the only one qualified to poke fun at Bamboo Ben.

P.S. Love ya Ben. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ Edited by: GROG 2006-08-07 22:10 ]

I'm speechless!!!

LOL!!!

Classic!

TS

When Tiki goes to the shitter...

I could see this sitting in someones backyard in "Fontucky", but actually towing it around....?????

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2006-08-07 11:20 ]

G

revulsion n. A sudden strong change or reaction in feeling, especially a feeling of violent disgust or loathing.

We already have the TiPSY factor. Now I think we need ShiPS or Shivers Per Second (kinda lame, I know) because pictures like that just... make me... shiver in revulsion. Bamboo Ben, sheez, your standards are dropping.

I apologize to whoever owns that bar. But since we're all being honest here...

EDIT: I was referring to GROG's picture, not Tom Slick's.

[ Edited by: GatorRob 2006-08-07 11:49 ]

We could be destroying our credibility here, but what the hell...... there is a certain je ne sai quoi in that Mad Max mobile tiki bar that the cheeky half's really like. If it is considered a disgrace to the tiki community at large it should be donated to us. We will take on the responsibility of keeping and caring for the beast here in Tucson thereby protecting others from having to see it (unless you come to our house.)

cheeky half

S

Reading a whole novel between the lines seems to be a hobby around here.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Aug 7, 2006 12:52 PM

That Tiki/VW van probably does qualify here for this thread,
but GROG actually applaud the humor and creativity (plus the
labor, and $) that went into creating it.One of the fun characteristics of tiki is the cheeky/kitsch factor, and this was definitely created in that spirit.

It looks like something Bamboo Ben would build and drive. Either that, or a Mercedes Benz with a bamboo paintjob. It would be the "Bamboo Benz".

P.S. Love ya Ben. Arrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

[ Edited by: GROG 2006-08-07 12:53 ]

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Aug 7, 2006 1:16 PM

I am also rather bothered by the fact that the Party City tiki has become the new definition. I am also amused by the fact that many of the popular images of tikis are actually images of tiki mugs. The mug is what survives the era somehow.

I also am glad to hear it said that tiki is not "just a fun time." Most of us here spend way more time searching for, reading about and creating tiki, than enjoying a Mai Tai. I am really sick of "relax and have a Mai Tai." If that's all it is, why bother going to the Mai Kai or building my tiki bar? Hell, I could be having a Mai Tai out of a Party City mug instead!

No. This is a refined style and taste. We should be glad of that. And we should be able to say "thanks for the thought, but this is an African mask. Not Polynesian. Here, let me show you some examples in the BoT." Or, "that's a great start on a bar, but, it's more Jimmy Buffet Carribean and Florida than anything tiki. Here are some tiki bars in BoT to look at..." Or, "that's a nice piece of art, but it's really more of just a face on a piece of wood. It's not much like a tiki mask or any poly pop style. Here are some tiki masks you might get some ideas from."

I have seen plastic stuff from Spencers used to great effect right next to a BK carving or a Bosko or what ever. But some stuff is too far gone from what we call tiki.

I am glad to see what Target has put out under the name tiki. Actual tikis that re not horrible and not rip offs of any of our friends, plus furniture that many of us own and use in our tiki environs.

It's also not neccisary to make everyone comfortable here. Just the ones who are actually into what we are into.

And on topic, check out this great luau! You can tell it's a luau by the cheap scratchy leis! Only $10 a ticket!

T

These masks have always vexed me. I still say... not tiki!

T

On 2006-08-07 01:23, Tom Slick wrote:
There are even Grand Members on here praising the fact that Target, Big Lots, and such are carrying tikis and the like in other threads, and I personally feel that it is all just "made in china" mass produced garbage!
[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2006-08-07 01:26 ]

I'm just curious as to why a Grand Member's opinion would hold any more weight than a Tiki Centralite's would?

It's not a criticism or anything. Just a question.

that van/bar looks like something cheech and chong would drive around california in, trying to ply teenage girls with alcohol.....

...or something one of the contestants in the cannonball run movies would have driven.....

..now that i think of it, we need to do a tiki version of the "gumball rally"....contestants have to tikify their vehicles and race from east to west coast...making it to certain tiki establishment checkpoints throughout the race..first one to arrive at the bali hai within a predetermined amount of time wins!!!!

..anyone up for the "mai tai 500"???

We called the MMMTB first! We are going to tart up the roof and give it a bit of a mosaic-ing. I believe an old, scruffy, three legged dog would be a great accessory as well. Anyone have an extra one of those laying around?

On 2006-08-07 14:43, cheeky half wrote:
We called the MMMTB first! We are going to tart up the roof and give it a bit of a mosaic-ing. I believe an old, scruffy, three legged dog would be a great accessory as well. Anyone have an extra one of those laying around?

How about a 2-legged cat?

T

[ Edited by: Tangaroa 2008-07-11 05:26 ]

The fact is, A Cubic Zirconia is the Hope Diamond not. A Yugo is a Yugo. A Ferrari is a Ferrari. A lot of the crap/concepts on the market being referred to as Tiki just aren't. It's quality over quantity in this world for the best of life. The whole flower-power concept "Aww, man, who is anybody to judge somebody if that's what they dig and wanna call what they're into 'tiki'?, after all, man, it's about inclusiveness, and the love, right?". No. It's about inclusiveness only if you're w i l l i n g to be included...I.E. if you're willing to embrace an understanding about why the first few hundred folks came together around this site in the first place, long before it became the first couple of thousand.. This site was founded as a forum pertaining to and celebrating and preserving Mid-Century Tiki Culture, it's Polynesian origins, and it's re-creation in modern times. Period. End of story. Zip. Finis`. The bits and pieces of the genre laid out long ago, and already there for all to enjoy. Owning The Book Of Tiki (by far your best buy to self-educate) and as many other references to the genre, vintage or otherwise, as one could get their hands on was almost a prerequisite for being here; nobody thought twice about 90 percent of it because everybody had a clear picture of what Tiki is. Everybody was hungry to dig and learn. Everyboy was on the same sheet of hapa-haole music. Then, alas, (getting figurative here) said the lion tamer to to the ringmaster "Have you noticed a lot more clowns in the circus lately?" Somebody yelled "PARTY" and along came the club culture/spring breaker/frat boy goofballs, the "Ah don't know Tiki fer art but ah know what ah like, dood...Polernisian is kewl but ah monna live what ah like ta live/do what I like to do and stamp it tiki anyway, ya know?" crowd, the Buffetteers, the Jeff Spicoli/Bill and Ted crowd, the (shutter) corporate cash-in creeps, and the usual crop of back-patters, ass-kissers and "everything is beautiful" dooh-dahs that follow all of the above ilk around tossing ladles of milk and honey on the turdfield. None of whom care to dig any deeper or explore a lick about what vintage Polynesian Pop culture, Polynesian art and the American Idealistic visions of South Pacific island life that spawned Tiki. Learning something (or really caring about it) might interrupt the boob show, and what self-respecting mouth-breather would want that? Hence a lot of the more true believers became rather invisible due to frustration. Sad. It really is a cool place if you get beneath the layers of sludge to the pure water. Fact is: This isn't a mass-acceptance, open door PC party for every type of counter-culture and art that wants to creep in and mooch all of our expensive liquor. This is a Tiki site. This is, in fact a private club. The password is: tradervicbergeronstevencranebobandjackthorntonleroyschmaltzelihedleydannybalszdonnbeachedcrissmanmilanguankowilliamwestenhavermichaeltsaomarvinchinraybuhenkenkimesetcetcetc. Learn it. Learn not only it, but all about it. Alas..The door slides open, you are greeted by the maitre-de, a lovely girl places a lei around your neck, and you are seated for the Polynesian floor show, and your first drink arrives..a Zombie...nice. Perfect color, fresh mint...Ahhhh...Yep...That's Donn's Recipe alright! Crab Rangoon and Rumaki with white glove service. A light hint of an Augie Colon bird call dancing in your ear "Man...this REALLY IS better than Tiki Bob's Cantina!"

I

Here is a recent item I found at the Dollar Tree - a tiki night light, which cost - you guessed it - one dollar.

The worst part of this is the fringe on the bottom. No, it is not meant to replicate a grass skirt. That is blue thread, not green, and it is fancily looped, like some tabletop doily a Victorian grandmother might knit for her tea table.

This MIGHT be acceptable if you had a small child, who did not want to be frightened of the dark, as that is one of the few situations where a smiling Party store-like tiki might be welcome. But as an adult Tiki-Central male, I would rather stumble around in the dark, than wake up in a half-slumber mode and have the first thing I see be this triple-clown-faced monstrosity.

I should of bought a dollars worth of candy instead.

Vern

Like it or not, in 20 years, the next generation of retro-seeking hipsters are going to see this as legitimate Tiki and disparage Spencer Gifts' summer 2027 offerings as inauthentic.

On 2006-08-07 18:31, ikitnrev wrote:
Here is a recent item I found at the Dollar Tree - a tiki night light, which cost - you guessed it - one dollar.

The worst part of this is the fringe on the bottom. No, it is not meant to replicate a grass skirt. That is blue thread, not green, and it is fancily looped, like some tabletop doily a Victorian grandmother might knit for her tea table.

This MIGHT be acceptable if you had a small child, who did not want to be frightened of the dark, as that is one of the few situations where a smiling Party store-like tiki might be welcome. But as an adult Tiki-Central male, I would rather stumble around in the dark, than wake up in a half-slumber mode and have the first thing I see be this triple-clown-faced monstrosity.

I should of bought a dollars worth of candy instead.

Vern

Uh oh, somebody gave BK a truth serum. I can vividly imagine a discussion round of several people, arguing and shouting about the authenticity of Tiki style for hours, and him sitting quietly in the background. Then he gets up, steps forward, and blurts all that out in one continuous sentence, leaving everybody speechless, open mouthed, and he leaves.

I am glad you got that of your chest, BK, and hope you feel better now. Don't leave though, and keep believing.

And now, for some more visual Tiki crimes. That night lite is funny bad, I kinda...oh well, I have been waiting for one to come out, but a better one, like a resin Tiki. That one Party City Tiki design is sure multiplying like small pox!

V
virani posted on Tue, Aug 8, 2006 3:31 AM

Well, I like that VW, would change maybe a few things on it, but would love to have it.

P
pablus posted on Tue, Aug 8, 2006 6:08 AM

Basement Kahuna... that was sweet.
I usually don't do "attaboy" posts but that was just too good not to applaud.

BTW, why aren't you working at the Mai Kai on those rotting Tikis?
Why o why?

Are you skeered fer yer liver?

Quick post to say, I'd kill to own that VW!!!!

I have to get back to memorizing Basement Kahuna's password...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 524 replies