Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tik Crawl: 3/8/2003

Pages: 1 2 83 replies

Martin, as much fun as the bus sounds, its a little steep for me. Hula Hula, SugarCaddyDaddy and I talked and we're just gonna drive. Since SCD is a tiki-betic, he can be our designated driver (although he doesn't know that yet).

I have to say that I'm more than a little shocked that people are flying in all the way from the east coast for this. Perhaps I underestimate TC-er's herding and drinking insticts.

A

Martin, the limo bus is a nice idea, but Naomi and I will forego it as well. Sorry if it seemed like the suggestion went into a black hole.

Oh - it's looking more likely that the work obligation that was gonna drag me out of town that weekend will be moved to another time. So for anyone interested in stopping by my place in Belmont Sat afternoon, that'll probably work out after all. I'll post when I know for sure.

-Randy

T

TikiCutie (Laura):

I'll respond to your post to whatshakin yahoo group here since its regarding the crawl.

You want to get off BART at the Montgomery St. station (one station before the Powell St.). Head up (North) on Montgomery about 3 blocks to Pine. Go left (West) on Pine for 2 blocks to your hotel. If your luggage is heavy I would take a cab. They are plentiful along Market Street (where BART stations are).

Actually, the Tonga Room is a little closer to your hotel than the Bamboo Hut, but both are within walking distance (a bit more than 5 minutes though). It just seems real far to walk to the Tonga Room because its all uphill!

Friday is not finalized yet so I'm not sure the times but we are meeting at Trader Vic's in Emeryville. It's a beautiful restaurant on the bay with a small bar/lounge area. The decor is classic polynesian / nautical and quite classy. Many customers get dressed up to go there. I usually wear an aloha shirt and slacks. The food is fairly expensive and is polynesian and asian. The best dishes are from the wood-fired oven. Drinks are expensive at around $8-10 but are well-made (usually) and strong and served in approprate vessels. I don't know if we are having dinner there this time. We might just have drinks and pupus.

To get there take the Bay Bridge (80 East) across the bay. Stay on 80 East (leftmost lanes) and take the Powell Street exit (first exit) in Emeryville. Turn left at the bottom of the ramp, go straight on Powell past 2 lights and Trader Vic's is about a quarter-mile down on the right (you'll see the sign). Park in the street for free, or valet park in their lot, but don't park in the next lot past Vic's or you will be towed.

The legendary mrsmiley is known here on Tiki Central and around the world as the man with the largest smiley-face collection on the planet. His (and his companion Enid's) house "the Ugh house" is an amazing custom 50s house. See one of the best home tiki bars anywhere! Make a wish at the leaky tiki! See the volcano erupt! Marvel at the smiley face collection! It's a must see!

To get there from Vic's it is a bit complicated so perhaps mrsmiley can provide a printout and post the directions here. Last year some folks got lost and I ran out of gas!

See you soon!

M

Email Mr Smiley at a special email address for directions and info on the Friday 3-7-03 Ugh house event.
I may not reply immediately until closer to the date as plans are not set in stone yet.
I also plan to hand out directions at trader Viv's earlier Friday if Trader Vics is a go.

T

That's like your 5th. email address mrsmiley! What are trying to do, confuse all your friends?

"Trader Viv's"? What's that, some newfangled gurlz-only tiki lounge?? What are you up to, Mr. Smiley??

M

el Jab sez"That's like your 5th. email address mrsmiley! What are trying to do,
confuse all your friends"
Remember is for requests for information to the Ugh House party only on 3-7-03 during the Tiki Crwal weekend. Thanks

Hey all, Im interested in crawlin' with my GF and my roomie. We are collectively known around here as "Fun Island," the name of our house. It will be our 1st trip to the SF Tiki Bars, how exciting! We all go to UOP in Stockton. Keep me posted and let me know what I should bring...

-J

[ Edited by: DerKafer on 2003-02-15 00:47 ]

[ Edited by: DerKafer on 2003-02-15 00:47 ]

M
mig posted on Mon, Feb 17, 2003 6:08 PM

Re: Crawl (and Friday events specifically)

First of all, official Crawl announcement has just been posted in the Events forum, so head there.

Friday events: As part of the Crawl, we have kind of buddied up with a show going on that night in the East Bay. It's a ukelele show by Petty Booka-- coordinated with Otto (although it's not his show. Confused? Me too.)

Of course we could also do Mr. Smiley's house that night-- but I didn't add it to the official announcement because I wasn't sure how publicized it should be. (i.e., perhaps it should be unofficial/word of mouth, so as not to overstress the carrying capacity of the legendary house.)

Incidentally, Otto is working with Petty Booka to have them attend the crawl, and perhaps do a quick impromptu set at one of the Crawl stops. (http://www.petty-booka.com)

M

To Mig and others:
Mr.Smiley will be having his BYOB / Byo-snacks event at the World Famous Ugh House Tiki Bar, Volcano, and Smiley Museum Friday Night 3-7-03 at approximately 9 pm or so, depending on when people leave Trader Vics.
For more info including directions and my address, please email me by Thursday 3-6-03 at .
Please tell me how many people you plan on bringing. Thanks.
Mig, you may post any variation of this message that you like on the official web site and other links---thanks

W

I just looked at The Crawl page after noticing the li'l header thing at the top of the forum and again I praise the graphic stylings of Monsieur Lemoore (I am assuming it was he who designed it). The background, colors, flowers, number 3, and Fruit Stripe wave through the title all add up to a strong image that's fresh and lively for today's young moderns.

K

Is there a limit on how many people we can pack in a van?

[Insert all jokes here...]

If there are enough people signing-up, will we get a bigger van, or multiple vans, or a bus, or a bigger bus or mulltiple buses, or a, er, uh, duh....

What I'm really asking is: can I bring a bunch of friends?

Eloquently yours,

Slod (David)

K

If there are enough people signing-up, will we get a bigger van, or multiple vans, or a bus, or a bigger bus or mulltiple buses, or a, er, uh, duh....

Eloquently yours,

Slod (David)

K

Eloquently yours,

Slod (David)

K

Eloquently yours,

Slod (David)

K

Eloquently yours,

Slod (David)

K

Uhm, yes...we are experiencing a bit of a javascript error here. We'll advise you when it's safe to remove your seatbelt and move about the website.

Apologies.

M
mig posted on Tue, Feb 18, 2003 2:35 PM

JUST ADDED! THURSDAY NIGHT CRAWL WARM-UP EVENT.

Thursday, March 6. At the Odeon. As always: more details coming.

M

I haven't checked out the details, but I saw this on this weeks special on Travelzoo for sf hotels. $69 -- Downtown San Francisco Hotel, March Special
http://www.travelzoo.com/Top20.asp?id=10396330
Source: Holiday Inn

M

Watch this space today for a big posting about the bus. I've a got a fantastc deal lined up- you will want to be on board.

-martin

Martin, thanks for the heads up on the reservation. We canceled Americania and are going with the Cow Hollow inn, till later.

M

EVERYONE: Please see Tiki Bus thread over in the Tiki Events folder right away.

Exciting things are afoot!

Mahalo,

Martin

M

On 2003-02-18 14:26, kingslod wrote:

Eloquently yours,

Slod (David)

David- We will be very likely able to take your friends. Please see the Tiki Bus thread in Tiki Events.

Thanks,

Martin

K

Thanks for the taking (care of) the bus!

Yes, I'm just trying to bump this thread up to the top so people will sign-up for the luxuro-bus!

So, sign-up already! :)

Yours,

David

Aloha Martin! bump that count a little higher, just talked to mrsmiley and he says count him in too!

He's not sure about Enid yet, but will let you know!

see y'all soon--can't wait!

Lisa

p.s. any more of you SoCal folks planning on a visit? C'mon, join in!!!

M

Check out the new thread in Tiki Events about dinner at Trader Vic's on March 7th!

-martin

M

For those visiting the San Francisco Bay Area: The Long's Drugs at 5100 Broadway in Oakland, ca (510-654-3460). Has a good selection of cement tikis for sale. Most are between $30 and $100 each. They are outside in the Garden department. Look in BOTH sections of the garden dept. because some are usually hidden in the plants in addition to the official "tiki section". Both the store manager and the Garden manager (Marina) like the look of the tiki's so they are always re-ordering them when one is sold.
They are open from 6 am to midnight 7 days a week.

A
aquarj posted on Sun, Mar 2, 2003 4:32 PM

"You can't walk before you crawl"

..but what can you do before you crawl?

Well, along with the other events mentioned here for Sat night and others, at least a handful of people will visit my place in Belmont at around 4p on Sat afternoon before the crawl (my work conflict was eliminated). Anyone's invited - just email me at [email protected] to rsvp and get directions. No earlier than 4pm though - I won't be home yet!

Come see the Lanai tiki, and I'll give you directions to the site of the former Lanai and the Villa hotel.

Belmont is about 30 min south of San Francisco on the peninsula; maybe slightly longer than that to actually get to the Foggy Grotto for the next Saturday event.

-Randy

K

Those heading up from Southern Cal might want to check out the Mallard in Albany (town right next to Emeryville and Oakland).... it has two stories of outdoor tiki lounge. Really cool spot.

T

Is there anymore info forthcoming on the Thurs night Odeon thing? Should we just show up and look for familiar faces and hawaiian prints?

Is anyone going to the Mermen show at the Beach Chalet on Thursday night?

--cindy

M

Mr. Smiley and his golden vocal chords will be there about 9pm.

S

Oh shoot. The hubs and I just moved to Arizona. Dangit! I wanna go! lol...

C

There's someone else in AZ??? Phoenix area? Let's do our own! Ok, so it'd only be a stumble from Kona Grill to Drift. Still, Macadamia Nut Chicken followed by a round of Evil Bastards. Life could be worse.

M

SF Tiki Crawl Event Update

I just wanted to give everyone an update on the weekend.

After aquarj's open house on Saturday at 4:00, swing on up to my place, the Foggy Grotto for more drinks 'n' hijinks. The Crawl PreParty at my place starts at 5:00pm until 6:15, then we'll form a mob and all head to Trad'r Sam's.

We're located at:

447 Seventh Ave #2
San Francisco
415-387-0145

(between Geary and Anza and only 19 blocks from Sam's)
(Hanford: Please don't post this on the official website)

Sunday: Just to mention again that I propose a hair of the dog/war stories get together at the Mallard in Albany on Sunday afternoon at 2pm. Meet outside on their fantastic tiki patio.

check out http://www.clubmallard.com/ for all the info.

(Hanford: Please DO post this to the official website)

And for those among you looking to go hunting for tiki goodness, there is an antique fair in Marin on Saturday 10-6 and Sunday 10-5. It's at the Marin Civic Center, so even if you strike out on tiki stuff, you can see Frank Lloyd Wright's amazing Civic Center building.

More info: http://www.goldengateshows.com

See everyone very soon,
-martin

Pages: 1 2 83 replies