Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

That damn Jimmy Buffett!!!!

Pages: 1 31 replies

J

Last night on the radio I heard Jimmy Buffett doing his rendition of Christmas Island (the Christmas song from the 1940's done by Bob Atcher and the Dinning Sisters) and realized he has bastardized this distinctly Hawaiian/South Pacific themed Christmas song by using friggin' steel drums instead of the usual steel guitars. It makes me want to puke!!! Not only does he blur the distinction between Caribbean/Hawaiian/Hillbilly throughout the year now he goes and ruins a perfectly fine distinctive Hawaiian Christmas tune!!

Happy Holidays!

:drink:

Just Cool!!
JohnTiki

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Lanai in exotic Bel Air Maryland!

[ Edited by: johntiki on 2002-12-22 16:08 ]

S

This has been out about 3 years now:

Christmas Island

He also covers Mele Kalikimaka

I hate that jerk.

I got to go with my family over Thanksgiving on a cruise, which made one stop on Cozumel. The cheap bastards at Carnival no longer automatically stop on the mainland so that you can get off and got to the Mayan ruins of Tulum, but instead you have to cross your fingers that 100 people want to go with you from the pier on the island of Cozumel. Well, given that the cruise director did NOT push the Tulum trip, but instead "Passion Island", a private beach owned by Carnival (naturally), I did not get to do the very reason I was on this cruise (four rolls of film, untouched).

So what did I do instead? There was a sail/snorkle/beach mini-trip, which my sister, her boys, and I all decided was the best second choice (we passed on the horseback ride through fake ruins - yes, fake ruins). We board the giant catamaran (pronounced caTAHmaran by the Canadian co-cruise director), and what are they playing?!? FREAKING BUFFET!!! Go ahead, rub salt into the wound!!! AAAaaugh! It was almost Wahine Overboard, but thank goodness they switched to some great latino pop, along with which all the Mexican crew were singing. Oh, free margaritas were included, which must've contained all of two drops of tequila per cup. Thank goodness again that I speak/teach Spanish, cuz the bartenders on the beach were more than happy to boost my drinks with their under-the-counter bottles!

Just had to vent...

A true canadian would say cat-EH-maran!

I know...that was pathetic...gotta go...time to start my Xmas shopping!!

:o

[ Edited by: fartsatune on 2002-12-23 11:12 ]

Man - does he suck or what...?

I have several friends who are into him & assume I am too because of the whole "tiki" thing. Arrrrggggh~!

Hahahahaha!! Even if he DID include steel guitars, all you Buffett-bashers wouldn't be able to hear them over the sound of your own whining. Change the station, hit the mute button, put your fingers in your ears.

L
laney posted on Mon, Dec 23, 2002 2:21 PM

Amen Juke! I love Buffet AND Tiki. To me- Latino Pop, Yuck! I wish you'd all stop beating a dead horse and agree to disagree.

[ Edited by: laney on 2002-12-23 14:24 ]

Laney, I agree. I'm not a Buffet fan myself, but I don't have a problem with those who are. So they like Buffet? So what? Why does that bother people so much? Doesn't seem like such a big deal to me...

You gotta point.
But I still hate that jerk.

Uh, is that supposed to be a Cheeseburger in Paradise? :roll:

T

On 2002-12-23 12:55, Tangaroa wrote:
Man - does he suck or what...?

I have several friends who are into him & assume I am too because of the whole "tiki" thing. Arrrrggggh~!

Hey Tangaroa! I didn't know you were into this whole "tiki" thing... me too!! :D

T

Ha!

Someone should send in a S.E.A.L team to "nuetralize" Jimmy Buffett AND Phish...

Even if he DID include steel guitars, all you Buffett-bashers wouldn't be able to hear them over the sound of your own whining.

That is not true, if he had included the steel guitars I wouldn't have even written the original post. If he had stuck with the stereotypical regional sound the song originally captured instead of diluting it with a Caribbean influence than I would have let it go. If there were an Easter Island in the Caribbean then the steel drums would have at least made sense but not when the song refers to a tropical island obviously near the South Pacific. (I say near because Christmas Island is really in the Indian Ocean) I realize it’s just a stupid Christmas song and in two days who’s going to care anyway but, it just emphasizes the reasons a lot of tiki purists don’t like Buffett – he bastardizes everything he touches.
Hey, I wouldn’t criticize or even think less of anyone that likes Jimmy Buffett – I just think the guy blows!!

Happy Holidays!

Ah PHISH! Actually, that's perfect that they are mentioned as well. Along with Jimmy Buffett, Dave Matthews and The Dead, Phish is a band that solely exists to create a scene for the trading of bad art and drugs (or in Buffet's case, overpriced tequila). Being into electronic dance music, people often assume I really like the whole 'rave' scene, but that's the same trap.

Oh well, to each his own I guess...

L

Actually, I looked into vacation plans for Christmas Island a couple of years ago. As a scuba diver it is a unique destination because, yearly, hundreds of thousands of crabs journey to the shore to drop eggs which hatch in the coastal waters. This brings large sea life, like whale sharks, in abundance. Then the tiny babies make a new journey to the highlands coating everything red. It is something that only happens on this island.
However, it is hard for me to call it a typical South Pacific Island as the only way I could find to get there was via Australia. Maybe he should have included didgeridoos. The island is very remote and probably has a sound all it's own, if you REALLY want to get technical. Buffets music is all about fun, not reproducing exactly what someone else has done. Lighten up!
I love that some people on this board get so pissed about Jimmy Buffet. It's funny how he makes Forbes list of entertainers every year and his music is not played on the radio. Hmmmmmm?

[ Edited by: Laney on 2002-12-24 13:53 ]

How unfortunate.

Kahuna, don't ask for too much, just be "grateful" that they took care of Jerry Garcia.

T

Hey Depeche Mode did a B side called Christmas Island. Hmmm I wonder if...........

In the Nov/Dec issue of Longboard Magazine. There is an article on the Margaritaville Longboard Surfing Series which is sponsered in part by Margaritaville Tequila. I am pretty sure that is one of Buffet's Companies. Anyways, I was looking through the list of all the supporting sponsers and Tiki Farm was listed. I dont wan't to fan the flames on the tiki/ Buffet debate, but that may be a legitamate link betwixt the two. I personally couldnt care less about his music nor am I to crazy about commercialized mob scenes on the beach. However, I do think the guy has lead a pretty interesting life and there are worse things than pro surfing that he could be supporting.
Chongolio

Kumai! Kumai! Ka nalu nou mai Kahiki mai, Alo poi pu! Ku mai ka pohuehue, Hue! Kaiko Loa.

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2002-12-28 15:47 ]

Here's the way I'm starting to look at it: just as we have taken polynesian tikis and turned them into our own, artificial, american, poly pop thing, Parrotheads have in turn taken the american, poly pop tiki and turned it into an artificial, carribean flavor that is meaningful for them. I'm not going to argue against their right to love tiki in their own way, because to do so would be to argue against our own way of loving tiki. It just muddies the waters, especially for Ordinarys who are trying to help connect us with tiki.

And luckily, they label most of their merch with things like "Margaritaville!" so we can easily stay clear.

Oh my gawd, look at what your favorite Floridian has written:

TIKI MUSIC

There's a quiet village in the jungle
Where Les Baxter is playin exotic music all day
It's a special kind of magic
it makes the islanders swing and sway

It's tiki music
the idols use it
to liven up their pagan way
It's tiki music
the idols use it
to excite their mystic play

Tropic birds are calling and cawing
Arthur Lyman's vibes are gentle and sweet
the haole's are getting Polynesian rhythm
at Henry K's Hawaiian Village retreat

It's tiki music
the idols use it
It's tiki music
the idols use it

Down at Donn Beach's, there's Martin Denny
exotica piano is packing them in
They're downing Mai-Tais, not Margaritas,
wanting Sandy Warner for a girlfriend.

It's tiki music
the idols use it
It's tiki music
the idols use it

Webley Edwards' feathered ipus are shakin'
his ukelele players have gone on strike
the hula girls are fleeing the Moana courtyard
Alfred Apaka has left the mic.

It's tiki music
the idols use it
It's tiki music
the idols use it

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2002-12-27 14:08 ]

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2002-12-27 14:18 ]

[ Edited by: kailuageoff on 2002-12-29 09:32 ]

J

How does it sound with Jimmy's twang???

Just Cool!!
JohnTiki

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Lanai in exotic Bel Air Maryland!

[ Edited by: johntiki on 2002-12-27 16:38 ]

Ya know, my feeling is that just because he might sing about it and be knowledgeable about it, doesn't mean that his music necessarily evokes the tiki feeling. If you like him, great, otherwise who cares. I for one still hate that jerk but to each is own right? This topic needs to be put to rest. Thank you and goodnight.

Well, actually I wrote the before mentioned ode to excotica. No music, just lyrics. I guess it was presumptuous to claim to be everyone's favorite Floridian (and a little misleading, too) :wink:

He may not have written that last ditty. But he is knowledgeable about the topic, he has been spotted at exotica shows.

He even did some birdcalls on one of his last songs and even "came up with the idea in the Tonga Room at the Fairmont Hotel"."Can't we all just get along."

WHY DONT YA''LL JSUT REALIZE THAT BUFFET KNOWS TIKI ?!?

YA''LL ALL ARE PRETY COOL SEPT FOR YOU CAIN'T STAND A GOOD OLD BOY DOING GOOD FOR HISSELF AND MAKIN GOOD MUSIC.

WHY YOU ALL WANT TO COME DWON SO HARD ON THE BUFFMEISTER? !?!

ROCK STEADY KEEP IT MELLOW,
BUFFETTIKI

Buffet or anyone else is free to contact me about securing the rights to record my little song. Strugggling artists could probably bribe me with a bottle of Appleton Gold, but in Buffet's case I'd settle for a ride in his seaplane with the Buffetmeister at the controls.

M

I can't believe this guy keeps coming up.

-martin

L

Yea, Don't you just LOVE it! Zazzzz! Ha Ha, all you Buffet haters keep posting about Jimmy Buffet! Admit it you CAN'T stop! Every Buffet thread is on fire! You all love him!
Love
Love
Love

Pages: 1 31 replies