Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Which car is the most tikish?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 265 replies

I'd drive that. I bet you can't get them in the US because I'm sure an import car that make 70 mpg creates more emissions than a US built SUV or truck that makes 12 mpg.

On 2011-01-29 04:06, Mongoloid wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_I4VGV24PE

Wow, that thing is crazy.

Ok, my 53 Chevy isn't the "tikiest" of cars, but the trunk is done up in purple velour snakeskin, so that must count for something, right?

UT

This is as Tiki as I can get in Michigan in the winter. Gets me to work when I have some and has hauled many a Tiki treasure.

Chris, nice mods on that Chevy - I think it needs a shark fin on the roof! :D

Here's the vehicle for the ultimate moving tiki bar!

T

How about this one ?

I call her "Big Bamboo" aka The Tikiyaki Orchestra Mystery Machine. Look for her at the Next Tikiyaki Orchestra Show.

WOW! I love the graphics!

The Big Bamboo rocks! Beautiful job, a ride befitting of the band. Is that coming to the Mojave Oasis?

DC

T

On 2011-02-14 18:40, Dustycajun wrote:
The Big Bamboo rocks! Beautiful job, a ride befitting of the band. Is that coming to the Mojave Oasis?

DC

You betcha.

:D :D :D :D :D

G

NICE!! Drive that sucker cross country to the Mai-Kai (I-10 all the way across and hang a right when you get to I-95) and I will personally buy a round of drinks for all the guys in the band. Gas is on you though. :D

T

Thanx Guys...just FYI, The tapa design is by Michael Uhlenkott, whom I believe is "Monitors" here on TC.

I found it on his Spoonflower account.You can buy his fabric print of it here...

http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/119697

Here it is. I altered it, as you can see. but the tapa shapes are all his. I really like the modernist/abstract take on tapa. Very cool !

TM

Outstanding, Jimmy!

Man, you are going to be in EVERY car show now!

Quite the sweet street machine! Yet, you've used some restraint, and not layered on too many design ideas... I like that about it too.

T

On 2011-02-17 02:29, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
Quite the sweet street machine! Yet, you've used some restraint, and not layered on too many design ideas... I like that about it too.

It ain't done yet :wink:

On 2011-02-13 16:36, MadDogMike wrote:
Chris, nice mods on that Chevy - I think it needs a shark fin on the roof! :D

Thanks...I think I'm finished building fins for a long time LOL

Big Bamboo is a hell of a van!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Feb 21, 2011 5:17 PM

I just returned from a week long holiday in Vanuatu, one of the days we hired a VW dune buggy and did a lap of the island – soooo much fun and definitely one of the highlights of the trip!

More pics over on my blog, but heres a couple as a sample http://kustomkultureaustralia.com/2011/02/21/now-this-is-a-hire-car/

I stumbled across photos of the 1966 Rambler Marlin, which I think exudes classic Tiki style. Not a bad name for a fisherman's choice either.

It came in a Tahiti edition that features a Hawaiian print-style interior fabric.

DC

I'd like to think my car is the tikiest as far as modes of transportation go.........I call it The METiki (get it? It's a Metropolitan!)

Keep your tiki mugs filled and be on the lookout for The Metiki Gal!

[ Edited by: metikigal 2011-05-26 18:11 ]

[ Edited by: metikigal 2011-05-26 18:12 ]

J

On 2011-09-19 15:29, drgoat456 wrote:
I don't know if this is recent, but here it is. Think it was this year.

http://gregoryallenpacheco.tumblr.com/post/6524676318/tiki-bar-best-car-of-ink-n-iron

Those beer cans diminish the Tiki-ness. :D

J

If JOHN-O and DustyCajun were Tiki cars. Which would be faster ??

Also Moderator, how about correcting this popular thread's title from "Which Car is the most Tikish" to "Which Car is the most Tiki" ??

"Tikish" is not a word.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-09-19 16:15 ]

It would be any car made before 1967

S

On 2011-09-19 15:53, JOHN-O wrote:

"Tikish" is not a word.

Have to agree with you there JOHN-O. It should be most "tiki'ish" or "tiki ish". Or preferably, "Which car is the most tiki like?".

C

Sampans

No, I dont know where this one is, otherwise it would be mine

[ Edited by: Choptop 2011-11-08 17:26 ]

Choptop,

Cool photo of the Sampan bus. Here are two other photos I found on the web.

And a link to an article on the Sampan bus with a nice history piece from 1959. Apparently there a 12 of these known to be in existence, and one is supposed to be in my home town of Santa Barbara - I have never seen it but I am going to start looking!

http://hahaha.hamakuasprings.com/2010/10/hilo-sampans-then-and-now.html

Now, how about this baby. A 1951 Kaiser-Frazer model that came with four interiors, including the South Seas model.

At the car show with the boys in the Aloha shirts.

Check out this interior, looks like lauhala and fish net.

Look at the mod fabric on the seats.

What a beauty.

There was also a Safari model that came with ...

You guessed it Zebra print fabric.

DC

The Travelocity Cheetah-print Manx

But if she leaves the highbeams on like that she'll run down the battery :wink:

TK

I don't know if these ever made it past the concept stage, but, more googie goodness from Kaiser Aluminum..

"The Pele"

"The Menehune"

"The Wiamea"

On 2012-05-23 13:08, Tiki King wrote:
I don't know if these ever made it past the concept stage, but, more googie goodness from Kaiser Aluminum..

Just check TIKI MODERN :) ..and for a photo of the Pele, the Book of Tiki.

Though the renderings I used are not as nice as these. Did you clip these from that Swedish car blog? I have been looking for the originals of these for ages...

It could be a rolling tiki bar.

The 2015 Dodge Challenger seems to have a thing going on...

There is one, and only one answer to this question. A 1955 - 1974 Citroen DS.

1969 Fiat Shellette Michelotti. Unsafe at any speed?

This is a friend's surf wagon. It's all tricked up with tail to hood artwork both sides and heaps of Hawaiiana decals on the rear windows. Its a very original 1971 Ford wagon complete with vintage longboard on top. It gets lots of attention when it ventures into town.

The Beachcomber Multi Purpose Vehicle, 1971.

DC

Time to bump this thread with a Tiki Tony Prius

The most Tiki car would be the Solomon Island Edition Nissan Xterra complete with a nguzunguzu hood ornament

The background is a quick Photoshop job but the hood ornament is real. Made out of black foam for an inflatable canoe a few years back. It had 2 strong magnets in the bottom so I stuck it on my car. Getting some funny looks as I drive down the road :lol:

I didn't look thru all 15 pages to make sure this hasn't been posted but this HAS to be the ultimate Tiki car from the Solomom Islands. It has a nzugunzugu for crying out loud!

I just realized the last post on this tread was mine a year and a half ago about a nguzunguzu :lol:

Unless someone already posted this, I WIN! :)

Just saw that someone beat me to it - Lukeulele in 2009. :)

Worth repeating though, still cracks me up.

:lol: :D :P :wink:

H

Bamboo Ben put these pictures up on Instagram. He is making this gulf cart into a tikmobile or a tikigolfcart. Check the brake lights for the back of the cart. he'll put more pictures up soon, I will try to post them here.

more to come

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2017-07-24 21:55 ]

Nice!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 265 replies