Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Which car is the most tikish?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 265 replies

A recent pic... Plans are to swap out the wheels and tires and put the skirts back on. Then, a metallic green panel job over a metallic cream. Roof will be that cream also. I'll bag it too....as soon as someone gives me four grand to make that happen....

K

Seen this one around Austin a few times, but don't know whose it is. Anyone want to claim it?

Crash's car

One she worked on

Sweet rides all!

My friends splitscreen at VFW 2008 best rat look i talked him into going tiki inside too compliment the rat look outside

my old volkswagen tiki bus now sold

me and the new ride at bristol volks fest 2008

UK Bay window at santapod raceway woodie or what haha love it

[ Edited by: tonmawrtiki 2008-08-28 16:09 ]

Another friends vw

[ Edited by: tonmawrtiki 2008-08-28 15:46 ]

German Vw t25 Pick Up nearly Bought this Twice!! Now on Air from Whuppertal nw germany

Sons tiki ride check the patina!!

Kim Un Gars Vw T4 Tiki Ride Uk

[ Edited by: tonmawrtiki 2008-10-10 14:39 ]

I just picked up this postcard of the Big Daddy Roth Surfite Car. This is the one in the BOT.

DC

Don't forget 'er Parking Space... :wink:

SOK,

Thanks for that post, the Surfite car is not complete without the parking spot!

DC

My pleasure, DC!

Always happy to give "Big Daddy" a shout-out.

('Wonder if anyone would like to start a "Show us your Big Daddy Roth Model Kit build" thread? "Weird-O's" should also be included, of course -- I did a boss custom bash-up of "Freddie Flame-Out" -- looked just like the box painting -- but the last earthquake did the little guy in... If I can find the pics I took maybe I'll start that thread in Bilge... But if I can't -- maybe someone else will...?)

S :wink: K

M

Hands down: the Ford Flex.

um tasty tiki

uk Vw tiki

wheely nice tiki

the Ford Flex? The Foose one is better I'm not a massive fan of fosse

[ Edited by: tonmawrtiki 2008-11-19 12:48 ]

(socalcarculture/grand national roadster show/pomona, california)

TS

A few tiki themed rides showed at the Grand National Roadster Show.

To see about a hundred more pics of the different non-tiki themed cars there:
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=3428880&albumId=2979121

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2009-01-26 16:13 ]

(http://www.flickr.com/photos/chipandandy/3054180256/sizes/l/in/pool-437149@N22/ )

which years did the fantastic "mai-kai-bus" drive ?
does it still exist somewhere ?
what car is it ?

On 2009-01-29 15:47, icebaer69 wrote:
which years did the fantastic "mai-kai-bus" drive ?
does it still exist somewhere ?
what car is it ?

A tiki bus full of Mai Kai Islander girls - that has got to be one of the top 3 contenders of all time!

icebaer69 Where did this picture come from, it is awesome.

DC

Some pics from this old thread:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=13508&forum=1

Thankfully the archaic photo links are still working. Some of the nicest Tiki Delivery vehicles I've ever seen:

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2009-01-29 17:32 ]

Here is another blast from the past, the Rickshaw Taxi Bus from the Hawaiian Village in Tampa.

DC

This kool kar belongs to a friend of a friend of mine. It started out life as a cut up, bright yellow Baja Bug. I figured you all might get a kick out of it....

I don't know if it's legal to have your brake lights re-done as torches, but it sure is a neat-o idea!

H

On 2009-01-30 23:50, Tiki Lee's wrote:

Nice brake lights! How does having the wheels angled in affect their wear? I see it all the time on certain VW Bugs and other vehicles. I don't know the third or fourth thing about it but the angle on the tires makes me think "fast tire wear, low tire life". So maybe some of you experts can provide some illumination, yes? So what's the scoop? Do you have to rotate tires twice as much? Is this a case of Form over Function? Or is it the other way around? Either way, I am hesitant to like what I see until my quandry can be clarified. Nevertheless it still looks cool!

The angled wheels are a side effect of lowering a car with independent rear suspension. It can't be good for the tires. Simply put, on a car with IRS each rear wheel pivots up and down separately from a fixed point at the center of the vehicle, so that's the - probably unintended - look you get when you lower it. I could go into more detail but that's probably too off topic.

BTW, that bug is waay cool!

Great Bug! I was admiring the small pic above of the similar Bug

I thought I'd seen it all in Bug mods but I like the open wheel look. The torch brake lights would be legal (California) as long as red light didn't show from the front but I'm not sure if the open wheel (no fenders) is legal

EDIT - here's the ruling on that, pre 1971 is OK as long as the curb weight is under 1500 lbs. That's where the gray area comes in; are they talking about original unladen weight (1672 lbs for a 1966 Beetle) or the modified weight after you have stripped off the fenders?

California Vehicle Code 27600. No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with
fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or
unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate
protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or
mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or
attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread.
This section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from
registration, trailers and semitrailers having an unladen weight of
under 1,500 pounds, or any vehicles manufactured and first registered
prior to January 1, 1971, having an unladen weight of under 1,500
pounds.

Blurring the fine line between art and crap.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2009-01-31 14:37 ]

T

Here's my tiki ride! In az

slot mags rule

H
hombre posted on Tue, Apr 7, 2009 7:03 PM

That van is awesome!

M

My 64 Ford Country Sedan, this will be getting the Tiki/Surf treatment over the next month:

http://img15.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dsc3339.jpg

And these will also get the same treatment as the summer rolls along and I collect up enough items to get them done:

This one even has the face of a Tiki without even trying:

Mooney

How about the 1936 Stout Scarab?

It even features a bar/table (and check out the rattan ceiling)

K

Wow! How cool is that car?! It looks like an aircraft interior. Wonder if it was planned that way. Even the exterior looks a little like an airplane. Right up my alley, er runway?

Hey! Econoline... I just got one of those too... Mine needs work, but super tiki for sure...

The Scarab and chopped Econoline are fantastic.

On 2009-04-20 10:08, Koitiki wrote:
Wow! How cool is that car?! It looks like an aircraft interior. Wonder if it was planned that way. Even the exterior looks a little like an airplane. Right up my alley, er runway?

You're right- the scarab was designed by the engineer that designed by William B. Stout who was an aeronautics engineer and designed the Ford Tri Moter. Pat yourself on the back.

What I drive:

With the fish riding shotgun

After surf sandwich stop

Secret spot, Baja.

Big Bear. That might be a Charles Manson sticker on the dash. :D

T

The perfect vehicle for climbing steep volcano slopes, trudging through thick jungle growth, traversing wild undiscovered rivers, or sliding through snow drifts in Columbus Ohio.

From the Kahiki Blog Spot

It's not Tiki, but I love it - and what more can you want than a sixties big-block convertible? This is my 64 Catalina..

T

There's always the MiniMoke:
http://www.minimokeusa.com/moke-history.htm

or

Buckminster Fuller's Dymaxion car:
http://www.weirduniverse.net/blog/comments/2783/

B

I like the Dymaxiom - the original mini van? LOL Is it fueled by Bucky balls?

K

On 2009-04-29 21:16, Urban Tiki wrote:

On 2009-04-20 10:08, Koitiki wrote:

You're right- the scarab was designed by the engineer that designed by William B. Stout who was an aeronautics engineer and designed the Ford Tri Moter. Pat yourself on the back.

Ha! Just saw this. I used to work in luxury aircraft interiors, but if I still deserve a pat on the back I'll take it!

License plate and frame on my otherwise boring Subaru Forester wagon:

My car itself might not be tiki, but I can sure imagine it visited many cool original tiki lounges back in the early sixties. I imagine pulling up to the valet at the Luau in Beverly Hills with a buxom raven haired beauty in the passenger seat (hey, it's my dream right)...

On 2009-07-07 11:00, tiki-riviera wrote:
...with a buxom raven haired beauty in the passenger seat...

Reminds me of a Meatloaf song;
:music: "There was a beauty living on the edge of town
She always put the top up and the hammer down
And she taught me everything I'll ever know
About the mystery and the muscle of love.
The stars would glimmer and the moon would glow
I'm in the back seat with my Julie like a Romeo
And the signs along the highway all said
Caution! Kids at play!" :music:

What about the '65 Dodge Deora? It's for sale!

As is Road Agent from Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!

L

On 2009-07-07 11:00, tiki-riviera wrote:
I imagine pulling up to the valet at the Luau in Beverly Hills with a buxom raven haired beauty in the passenger seat (hey, it's my dream right)...

hey I am buxom and raven haired (well I am!)..I will gladly ride shotgun! Damn beautiful paint job!

BK

Tiki-Riviera that car is sweet! Watch out for Liz. She's dark-haired & buxom alright, but she left out femme fatale!

W

My car isn't TIKI-per se, but it does have bamboo and such and I'm planning on adding a tiki mask to the grill :)

Honey, the Falconstein rocks! Can we see more pictures of it?

it's sweet, except for the fact the tail lights don't work, no seat belts and it doesn't go much faster than 30;) We just cruise it around our little town on weekends--it's fun--I wish I could bring it to Tiki Oasis, but I don't think it fits the criteria :(

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 265 replies