Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Denver Tiki - General info, events, etc.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 698 replies

On 2007-12-09 16:12, Suffering Bastard in Maine wrote:
there's a couple of us goth tiki crossovers in New England. I am much much less goth than I once was, but there's still some in me. And Rain is a crossover person.

But it makes some sense, as there is a link between goth and rockabilly, and there is a link between tiki and rockabilly/hotrods.

are there any cultural anthropologists in the house who want to analyze this?

..sb

Only of the amateur variety. I have dallied with the raggle-taggle Gothies, O, with great enjoyment. Have even written for Gothic Beauty under a different moniker. Hmmm, yes, the tiki/goth connection is worthy of its own thread...

MD

T.F. Where is this place you speak of? O tell us brother.....is there a rescue on the horizon?

The Gemini. Naturally we would turn it into The Royal Kahanamoku Outrigger Club. Otherwise known as "The Royal".

T.F.

H
Helz posted on Wed, Dec 12, 2007 1:38 PM

On 2007-12-12 10:32, Tiki Fink wrote:
Naturally we would turn it into The Royal Kahanamoku Outrigger Club. Otherwise known as "The Royal".

Naturally.

So interesting...I haven't checked in on this thread in a while, and now that I do - surprise - I see that a place I grew up going to (Gemini) is seriously being considered being turned into a tiki bar by this great group, and learn that there is a goth/tiki crossover (I'm more into the gothier side). I'm a graphic designer, so I could design flyers/other promotions for the ex-gemini tiki bar if needed.

When I first joined this group, I dreamed in my head the possibility of a goth/tiki event blending both styles, with live bands, fire dancers, etc. Sometimes living in my head aint so bad.

MD

Hey ya all......the number for the Gemini and the future Royal is 303-534-5005.
They are asking $995,000! Its a lot of money for a rag tag group like us.
But we can bring them down over time.

H
Helz posted on Thu, Dec 13, 2007 9:22 AM

My appologies in advance for the incredibly crappy picture (But what do you expect from a shot at twilight, through a dirty windsheild at 70+mph?)

Another option. I know it's kinda out of the way, but it's a bit smaller, a bit taller, and would have a lot more visual presence.

I'm assuming all you native folk know where this is.

The I-76 A-frame at 88th Avenue.

I don't want to rain on everyone's parade, but take a look at the existing tiki bars (non-restaurants)that can survive, ex. The Tiki Ti (LA), Forbidden Island (Bay Area), The Tonga Hut (LA), etc. These places all have one thing in common, they are all SMALL, VERY SMALL. The idea is great, but I think the scale is way too big.

I guess I'm the guy who walks into a great party and tells everyone it's time to go home. LOL

Zulu

TF

Dreamin' is free! It is good to get the juice flowing with regard to having our own place in Denver. Whatever it takes, we should work toward this goal large or small.

T.F.

This is a little short notice, but we are going to hit the Twin Dragon (3021 S. Broadway) this evening for some flamming pupus and tiki drinks then head over to the Skylark Lounge to catch The Beloved Invaders (insturmental surf) holiday show (Alameda/S. Broadway). Anyone else interested?

Zulu

Aloha All!

NEW JOINT ALERT!!

The place, The Continental at 5th and Santa Fe Blvd. I have been by this location untold thousands of times and lamented the fact that the bar there was not really fit for the art community that has thrived on Santa Fe for nearly a decade. Good riddance to the old and open arms for the new!

There was a soft opening there last night and I was too under the weather to attend.
The grand opening is Friday night. I will certainly be there if I can.

T.F.

TF

Mele Kalikimaka Denver Tribe!

Hope all is well with you and I wish you a WONDERFUL huladay!

T.F.

TF

SNOAI ALERT!!!!!

Sunday at the Shack. If the conditions are right. We can build it. We have the technology. We know the odds.

Anyone interested in building a collosal SNOAI???

Let me know!!!!!

T.F.

I'm in! I'll bring the machettes for carving and a snow shovel. The 6.5' footer we did last time was child's play, I'm thinking a twelve footer this time around.

Zulu

TF

Anyone else want to come play in the snow?

On 2007-12-27 06:52, Tiki Fink wrote:
SNOAI ALERT!!!!!

Sunday at the Shack. If the conditions are right. We can build it. We have the technology. We know the odds.

Anyone interested in building a collosal SNOAI???

Let me know!!!!!

T.F.

La Verandah requests an interpreter...

TF

Last year Zulu and I made a big moai after the constant snow storms.

The pics of this are on this thread if you jump back to page 4.

Soooo. With some luck, we will attempt to make a larger Snoai as we were constrained by time during our last attempt.

T.F.

[ Edited by: Tiki Fink 2007-12-27 18:15 ]

Fink and Zulu- sorry can't make it on Sunday. I have tickets to the Bronco's game.

TF

Regarding Operation SNOAI, let's see how the weather treats us. It needs to be at least a bit sunny and above freezing for the snow to stick. Let's coordinate here or you can email me & stuff. I will keep an eye on the weather and post Sunday morning. If you are in I will PM you my home # and we can do go / no go that way. I have a feeling we will get some building done on Sunday!

T.F.

WooHoo! I can't wait to see this years pics :)

On 2007-12-27 18:09, Tiki Fink wrote:
Last year Zulu and I made a big moai after the constant snow storms.

The pics of this are on this thread if you jump back to page 4.

Soooo. With some luck, we will attempt to make a larger Snoai as we were constrained by time during our last attempt.

T.F.

[ Edited by: Tiki Fink 2007-12-27 18:15 ]

Ah, thus a "Snoai"! La Verandah applauds!

Unfortunately, I have a deadline Monday and will not be able to assist in this illustrious adventure. Hope all gives swell -- given the rising temp and blowin' wind. May the tiki gods smile upon you...

TF

Okay the Snoai did not happen yet... By the time the snow was right there was not enough to go big with.

Here is another tidbit for all of you.

Deadbolt. The scariest band in the world is coming yet again to our fair city. Friday 2/15/08 at the Bluebird. http://www.bluebirdtheater.net/eventdetails.php?eventid=16318
WHO WANTS TO GO??

Always a good time!!
T.F.

M

Tiki Fink -
I'll probably go. I always try to see Deadbolt whenever possible. I was looking back through the old posts and saw that some of you were at their show at Bender's. That was right before I joined this thread, otherwise we could have met up there. I saw the Friday show.

This time I'll join you guys for beers down front...

MoaiMan

MD

Maoi Man!!!!! Are you moving? I saw a very distressful sign in your yard the other day......Ya know you can move out of the Arvada ghetto but the Arvada Ghetto will always be with you. Good luck to you and Piper and John if ya are.

And I can't do Deadbolt again.....my hearing is still srcrewed from the last time.....besides I'm using my night out for the Rev. Horton Heat and Nashville Pussy (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Plus a stop at the Continental Club before hand to get all happy and proper like.
So if anyone wants to join in....you're more than welcome here too. Jan 13th.

Happy Days Ya all......Mr. Dale

[ Edited by: Mr. Dale 2008-01-08 11:18 ]

Tiki Fink:
Deadbolt sounds great! I think I might try to go to the show. Also, Quentin Tarentino needs to hear them!

TF

Good to hear that there are some folks who are ready for a Vodooriffic evening! Perhaps we can meet for a preshow cocktail at PS Lounge.

T.F.

Helz. You in?

T.F.

MD

So after a LOT of Schlitz at the Sputnik Sunday night we finally hit up the Continental Club and found a few people holding down the bar. Loren from Tiki boyds was there and a handful of drinking Burlesque girls.

BUT....the point of this whole drunken mess is that they still have the Tiki Boyds menu if you ask for it and will gladly make any drink on it. So we a plowed away a few. Brought back the short lived happy days of east Colfax.

I forsee a night of a Denver tiki drinks crawl coming up this summer. The double dragon, Continental Club and many more. I have my bus license......Just find me a bus and I'll drive you happy campers anywhere you want to go.

H
Helz posted on Wed, Jan 16, 2008 3:22 PM

On 2008-01-12 11:21, Tiki Fink wrote:
Helz. You in?

T.F.

Finkus,

Sorry man. I haven't been out here in a while. We ended up busy that night, but need to get together soon.

TF

On 2008-01-07 18:46, Tiki Fink wrote:
Okay the Snoai did not happen yet... By the time the snow was right there was not enough to go big with.

Here is another tidbit for all of you.

Deadbolt. The scariest band in the world is coming yet again to our fair city. Friday 2/15/08 at the Bluebird. http://www.bluebirdtheater.net/eventdetails.php?eventid=16318
WHO WANTS TO GO??

Always a good time!!
T.F.

There is much time to plan for this. The more the merrier!

T.F.

TF

CALLING ALL TWANG ZOMBIES.......

WHO WANTS TO GO??

Thinking about pre - gameing it at The Continental ( 5th and Santa Fe ) followed by some fine dining at El Taco De Mexico, then off to the show or perhaps a quick shot of fine cactus wine at Mezcal ( across from the Bluebird ) and finally off to the show.

Who the hell is Mrs. Valdez?

T.F.

M

Tiki Fink,
I'm not going to be able to make it to Deadbolt tonight. I was planning on going, but something came up. Sorry - I look forward to getting together soon.
MoaiMan

I'm heading to Denver for a few days of work this week, any sugestions for a "must visit" spot?

-adrian

Casa Bonita!!! There is not much Tiki in Denver as far as bars or restaurants go. The Twin Dragon does some mighty good Tropical drinks and Chinese Food. If you have time, maybe the Castaways in Manitou Springs in Colorado Springs. But I understand it is now Pirate themed....aargggghhh!

I second Matterhorn's recommendation. Casa Bonita should be at the very top of your list if nothing else.

Zulu

On 2008-02-18 14:59, Matterhorn1959 wrote:
Casa Bonita!!! There is not much Tiki in Denver as far as bars or restaurants go. The Twin Dragon does some mighty good Tropical drinks and Chinese Food. If you have time, maybe the Castaways in Manitou Springs in Colorado Springs. But I understand it is now Pirate themed....aargggghhh!

I figured that was a kids place, you're saying it's adult fun too? Anyone up for a get together?

-adrian

TF

Get together? When??

Casa Bonita is interesting if you haven't seen it. There are some other fun exotic things here like Domo Japanese.

T.F.

On 2008-02-21 19:13, Tiki Fink wrote:
Get together? When??

Casa Bonita is interesting if you haven't seen it. There are some other fun exotic things here like Domo Japanese.

T.F.

Trip extended until this coming Friday... any particular night good for you? I've been to Domo, good times.

-adrian

MD

Man....its been real quiet around here lately....so maybe the thought of my runnin' chainsaw and a slew of western swing blastin' out of my garage will wake this back up.

I just finished this 6' Moai and I hope ya dig it. Its beetle kill pine and is stained almost completely black.

I love makin' these grumpy faced old bastards and could just make them over and over for the rest of my happy life and be totally content.
We'll turn Denver into the Easter'n' Island.

Happy St. Patricks day ya all.

Mr. Dale

Great to see you carvin' dale! I love your style - that moai is great! Have fun in beautiful Colorado!!!!

sweet - that thing is the COOLEST..where do you live in CO cuz i spent my formative years in Fort Collins where our COWBOY population would probably try to TIP those over!!

Dale- great carving. I love the color of the stain and the size of him. I hope all is well with you and the kids.

MD

Thanks ya all.

Its just a big strange world we live in to be able to carve polynesian style tikis while livin' in Colorado and I can put them here, and BOOM they go ALL OVER THE WORLD.
It just blows my mind.

Poly.....Good to hear from you.....haven't heard any good fart jokes in a while.

Moondog....I live in Arvada. And the rednecks / Skaters here have also tried to walk off / tip them over a few times. A big chain around a buried cinder block makes sure they stay home. But Fort Collins is a great town.

Thanks Matterhorn....The Kids are great! My Little heart thief of a daughter could say "tiki" at a year old. She goes out and pats them. And my son started makin' his own tikis out of wood chips and water.....its just cool.

Have a great day ya all.

MD

So.....I don't know what ya all did last Saturday night. But my lovely wife and I spent it in Beverly Hills, California. And if you are gonna be in Beverly Hills ya might just as well spend it in the Beverly Hilton at TRADER VICS!

Good times.....good times.

And I don't know whats with the New Rich hip crowd but man....are they rude.
And the bartenders gave it right back to 'em in weak drinks and slow service. But Amy and I soon made great friends with the bartenders and the manager Chai. We had lots of smiles, strong drinks and lots of freebies to take home including a menu.

So yeah...what was meant to be just one Mai Tai soon became a night well over $100 in drinks and a lot of memories.

Happy hangover day after St. Patricks ya all.

MD

Hope you had a huge hangover there on Sunday Zulu.....ya earned it. Thanks to yer lovely wife for settin' up the twin dragon...it was real nice. Good to see everybody.
Happy birthday brother.

I know this is outside the realm of Tiki, but the Midnight movies at the Esquire on 6th Avenue will be showing the final and definitive cut of Blade Runner this week. I am planning to attend the showing on Saturday Night April 12. Any one who wants to join, just let me know.

MD

Oh man.....great movie.......Killer robots and sexy ones at that. I want to go but man.....It ain't gonna happen. Enjoy man.

TF

If you don't go all of this fun will be lost like tears in the rain.

Can't let that happen.

I am in! Are you kidding? Do androids dream of electric sheep?What time you getting there Matterhorn?

TF

[ Edited by: Tiki Fink 2008-04-10 07:56 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Fink 2008-04-10 07:57 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 698 replies