Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Denver Tiki - General info, events, etc.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 698 replies

Fink- the show starts a little after midnight. I usually get to the theater about 5 to 10 minutes beforehand. We can meet for drinks some place before hand?

[ Edited by: Matterhorn1959 2008-04-10 20:23 ]

Shoot- I am a week ahead. Blade Runner is not showing until Saturday night the 19th! Sorry all- anyone up for joining me on Saturday the 19th or is Friday the 18th better?

H
Helz posted on Sat, Apr 12, 2008 9:24 PM

I'm trying to talk Rita into it...I'll keep ya posted.

TF

Do it Helz. Life is truly better in one of our off world colonies!

Yes Helz, speak to her. How can she resist Harrison Ford in his prime? And Fink you are great with the quotes from the film!

Hey guys - sounds like fun, I love that movie, but I'll be in LA next weekend for a quick little tiki research trip.

Zulu

Hey Mike- Have a great trip to Los Angeles. Good luck with the search and research.

Helz and Mr. Fink- Friday is a slightly better night for me, but I am open to either night!

Matterhorn

The decision has been made. Saturday night it is, meeting up around 10:45 PM for some drinks at Mel's just down the street.

Any of you Denver Tiki folks planning on going to Tiki Oasis in August??

Burlesque As It Was is performing there- and hosting a party suite! We have a suite on the 7th floor plus a poolside room(day bar). The themes for TO this year are Voodoo and Zombies, so in that spirit, we've named the suite Marie Laveau's Cabaret and the poolside room will follow that theme too! We'll have a little stage in the corner for burlesque and any other performance that needs a stage.

So far we've assembled a crew of burlesque performers and Denver tiki enthusiasts and have started planning out some of the decor (snakes, skeletons, fog, spanish moss etc), and how we'll run the rooms. We're currently looking for a rum sponsor if anyone has connections! We're also making crafts to sell to help offset some of the cost for the bar.

If you'd like to be a part of the swankiest suite at Tiki Oasis, send me an email and I'll give you all the info!! ms_burleyque at yahoo dot com

TF

I have yet to make all the rezzies but we are defintiely in!!

TF

Just a little shout out to HELZ. I am building a real Pro - fessional and functional Tiki bar and thanks to the heroism of Helz, there will be beer on tap! I will be posting updated pics and stuff on creating tiki sos yallz can check it out. When it's done we will have a little practice Luau in the form of Tiki Fink Grindhouse.

THANKS HELZ!!!!! YOU ROCK!!!!!

T.F.

Whaaa??????

Fink - Is this your backyard or something else????

BTW - How was Bladerunner last weekend?

TF

Yes my back patio. I am building a full on permanent bar. It was just Matterhorn and myself at the flick. Big fun though.

Zulu- the movie was great and it was a grand time with Fink and his buddy Chris. How was the archeological expedition in Southern California?

Fink- great news on the bar...did you get a Primo tap handle?

I am looking at a carved Suffering Bastard tap handle on Ebay.
Now I just need to find a Keg of Suffering Bastard.

T.F.

TF

I know that several people have expressed an interest in the Denver Cruisers bike ride on Wednesday nights. The ride officially starts on May 14. And I will be there for sure!!This will continue on until mid October so there are plenty of opportunities to ride.

Info at: http://www.denvercruisers.com/links.html

The main reason for this post is to offer this idea as food for thought.

The New Belgium TOUR DE FAT is coming to Denver on Saturday, September 13th and I assume it will be held in City Park as it was last year. The event begins with a gigantic bike parade and continues with some pretty great entertainment.

We have eight cruisers in our quiver and I would love to have all of them on the street for this thing.

I plan to invite participants from the Denver Cruisers and all of the Denver Tribe to gather at Tiki Fink's shack and ride together to the park. When the gig winds down, we would return to the shack and hold a BICYcLUAU to wind up the day.

A great way to put some miles on my new bar.

Watcha think???

T.F.

Info at: http://www.followyourfolly.com/folly_tour_de_fat.html

[ Edited by: Tiki Fink 2008-05-01 08:21 ]

Hey Fink- I am up for a ride. Let me know time and place to meet you (and bring a bike from the quiver so I can ride.) It sounds fun....

T

Figured I would introduce myself. I live in North Thornton, and have been lurking around here a long time. Have built a bar, done a few carvings, a few paintings, and finally decided to start posting. 1st post shows a couple tikis I did, http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=28235&forum=7&4
Will post more pics soon of 3rd tiki, and will start posting the bar. I have pics from beginning of construction to end, so will post them to show progress.

Have had some interaction with Zulu via email regarding his excellent bar.

Looks like there are some other people here in Denver a little like me, a bit obsessed. (my wife tolerates it, but doesn't really get it. I wonder if that's a common thread). Anyhow thought I would jump into your thread and say hi. Need to link up sometime and toss back some cocktails. . . .

Welcome Tiki Tim! Hope we see you at an event soon!

T.F.

T

Fink, is it true you work at TB? If so, I should probably talk to you about some "scarce" cocktail ingredients. Recently I bought the grog-log and am wondering how far I will need to go to get some of these oddities. . .

M

There's a great feature on Sven Kirsten in the current issue of Atomic Ranch magazine (Spring 08). Several pages with some really good pictures of his home/collection. Worth checking out.
MoaiMan

TF

OK.. Tiki Oasis 8. Sounds like there is a pretty good Denver group going to San Diego. I propose a little TO8 warm up Luau at Tiki Fink's Shack. It would be pretty cool to get everyone together to meet and greet before hand. You regulars.. you know who you are, simply must attend. Possible dates.... Sundays are best for me as I run a wine shop and I have to work on Saturdays. Thinking July 20, 27 or Aug, 3. Pot luck food. Any suggestions for entertainment?
Theme? Voodoo and Zombies of course!! This will probably be my summer Luau..

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated! Post here PM me or Email [email protected].

Mahalo!
T.F.

[ Edited by: Tiki Fink 2008-06-03 15:47 ]

TF

NIGHT OF THE LIVING TIKI FINKS.. Sunday 8/03/2008

T.F.

[ Edited by: Tiki Fink 2008-06-06 08:02 ]

Just a little bump and reminder about some Denver fun in the works. Night of the Living Tiki Finks. A pre Oasis / Pre Modernism Tiki Fest Warmup!!

This is going to be pot luck this year, so think about something fun to bring. I am sorting through some entertainment ideas. Open to suggestions at this point.

If you see this, do chime in. The ol' Denver thread is sinking low.

T.F.

Hey, Tiki Fink!

See... you are all about ALL of my favorite things... Tikis, Zombies, Finks... (I'm sitting next to my autographed Big Daddy Roth Rat Fink print as we speak....I brought him to Denver for a show I ran in 1993....)

I will definitely try to make the Tiki bash, even though for me it won't be pre-Oasis, it'll be pre- Denver Modernism Show TIKI LOUNGE!

Since I am new I'll need to email you to get directions I reckon... But - HECK yes, count me IN!

luv,
Dana
http://www.denvermodernism.com
http://www.myspace.com/tikiboyds

Of course you can count Alissa and myself in. Can't wait, Fink and Randi host awesome backyard luaus! I'll talk Alissa into making some more undecended twinkes to bring for Helz.

Zulu

Joyce and I will be there as well. Probably will make some fruit kabobs for all the vegeterians and vegans in the crowd.

Let us know as soon as the pre-party date is set! There's about 20 of us going to TO from the Burlesque As It Was crowd and I'm sure most of them will want to get their tiki on in anticipation of the main event!!

Also wanted to put out to the list- I'm putting together a big end of summer tiki-luau burlesqu show at the Oriental September 27. I'm going to put up an art show in the lobby, so any artists interested in showing, please contact me! ms_burleyque at yahoo dot com

Plus, I'd like to add some live music, so if you all know of anyone locally doing tiki lounge music, or vintage Hawaiiana, let me know!

Michelle
"Vivienne VaVoom"

On 2008-06-05 19:17, Tiki Fink wrote:

T.F.

Fink- your bar is looking great. Can't wait for the Night of the Tiki Fink Zombies!

TF

Just recieved this email from Dazzle ( formerly the much more exotic Fuji En )

9th and Lincoln. Anyone interested in this?

A Tiki Christmas in July; Benefit for Volunteers of America

A TIKI CHRISTMAS IN JULY:

Benefit for Volunteers of America

July 14th-19th

4-6:30pm

Valued Guests,

Join us for a week of fun and help those in need. Bring a non-perishable food item and receive a complementary Polynesian food buffet! Benefits Volunteers of America.

Hula Wars!

Join us for a week long Tiki Christmas in July

We will have Island inspired competitions daily where you can win prizes from local businesses worth $25-$50

Prizes will also be given for best Hawaiian attire, so make sure to wear Hawaiian shirts and skirts.

Santa has some other gifts in his bag...

Your first Kona beer is the price of the temperature outside!

96 degrees = 96 cents!

Rum and Kahlua Tastings

Happy Hour Specials

Great Hawaiian Music

Complimentary Leis

Complimentary Polynesian

Food Buffet

For those who bring non-perishable food item

Regularly $5

TIKITIKITIKITIKITIKITIKITIKITIKITIKITIKITIKITIKITIKI

Come and play in the island sun with us!

July 14th - 19th

4-6:30 pm

l.

Hi everyone!

I realize it's been a really, really long time since I've talked to you all. Nevertheless, just wanted to let you guys know that our 5th annual Tiki Fest is this Saturday! I realize that this is totally late notice, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

Please go to the following link for more info and to RSVP:
http://www.tiki-fest.com

It'd be great to see you guys there! Hope you're having a fantazgreat summer!

• tikibeeyatch
TF

Tiki Torch, a NEW "Tiki Bar", GRAND OPENING AUGUST 2ND SATURDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Denver's ONE and ONLY tiki bar and restaurant will have our grand opening on Saturday Auguest 2nd...

Come experience tiki drinks you have NEVER tasted before because I made them up! Hells yeah, baby!

We also have awesome food: burgers, fish tacos, fish and chips, sandwiches, veggie items, and a lot more!

We are located in Edgewater at 5280 W 25th Avenue (basically on 25th and Ames, right next door to Edgewater Inn)

We will have specials EVERY DAY for our customers who show up on motorcycles and scooters.

Trivia, movie nights, bands, and other special events coming soon!

Come check it out! We also have a patio!
Quoted from their My Space Blog

Also a reminder..

Night of the Living Tiki Finks. Sunday Aug 3rd 4:00pm

Interested? PM me!

TF

On 2008-06-27 10:22, Tiki Fink wrote:

On 2008-06-05 19:17, Tiki Fink wrote:

T.F.

H
Helz posted on Mon, Aug 11, 2008 2:09 PM

So where's the updates!?!?! And the pics? I have a valid excuse for no pictures...but the rest of ya all are slackers.

Seriously though, it was awesome to hang with so many good friends and make so many new ones. Long live the Night of the Tiki Finks...(and Hello Denver Modernism!!!)

Seems like we have been swimmin' in different waters lately. Well.. here's some pics!!

Hey Zulu:

Just wanted to let you know we really enjoyed your slideshow at the Denver Modernism Show this past weekend!

We were looking for you afterward to say hi, but couldn't find you.

We saw some of you other Denver Tikiphiles there as well, but were a little aprehensive as to whether or not you'd remember us! Anyway, hope everyone is having a great summer.

How was the modernism show's tiki stuff?? I'm really sorry I missed it, but Tiki Oasis was a blast!!

Michelle
"Vivienne VaVoom"

TF

Tiki Fink Theatre. Yup.....

Erin - We were all commenting during the weekend wondering if you and Mike were going to show up, we were looking for you guys.

Michelle - Sounds like the Denver group really had a great time at Oasis last weekend. We also had a great time here at the Modernism Show and plan on doing it again next year. Here are a few shots courtesy of Helz.

Deadbolt. The scariest band in the world, will play 9/27/2008 at Larimer Lounge with Denver's very best surf band, Get Three Coffins Ready. Be there? I will!

O and Tiki Fink GRINDHOUSE... you can pm me for details if you dare.

T.F.

V

Aloha!

I am going to boldly post this on two threads - Tiki Travel and Denver Tiki - hope that I am not breaking any kapu in doing so!

Here's the scoop: Ms. VanTiki and I are off to Denver for a business trip on Sept. 2nd. We've got two days of work (the 3rd and 4th), then are spending 5 glorious days driving around colorado scouting out ghost towns and geocaches (we are planning a multi-day loop from denver to Cripple Creek to Rocky Mountain park and back to Denver). Imagine my surprise when I find this Denver Tiki thread chock full of amazing carvers and tikiphiles! Are there any Tiki hot-spots that are a must see in colorado? I am bringing a slew of tiki tiles and clay tiki coins to leave in geocaches:

so if you are a tiki lover and a geocacher you may have a very lucky find! :)

Can't wait to get on that plane - last time I was in Colorado I was 13 years old!

Mahalo,
Henrik "VanTiki"

OK stay tuned.. I am hosting an after wine tasting BBQ on the 7th. I wasn't going to bother anyone about this but if you are are around, it might be interesting. This is non Tiki in a very Tiki place.

Just throwing it out there. PM me.

Other than that, still PM me as we can still hang out prior to your adventures.

Hey Van- Not many commercial tiki places in Colorado. If you are heading south, there is the Castaways in Manitou Springs. The theme has changed to pirates, but the decor is still great 1960s era tiki and far away adventure. There is also the new tiki place the Tiki Torch in Edgewater. Tiki Fink has been there more recently than I have and may have a better description of the place.

One place you will have to go for the atmosphere and not so much for the food is Casa Bonita. Just google it to see the wonder of the place.

PM me if you want to find out about any more tourist attractions and museums.

[ Edited by: Matterhorn1959 2008-08-31 06:41 ]

V

Mahalo!

Tiki-FInk - I'm afraid we will have left Denver by the 7th, but thank you so much for the invite! We are leaving tomorrow night (Hawaii time) and will be in denver for only a few days (to do some actual work). We'd love to get together, but I have a sinking feeling that we will be obligated to attend "Dinner Meetings" for the two nights we have in Denver. We will be returning to Denver for 1 night at the end of the trip - perhaps we can meet then?
Matterhorn - Good grief! Is that Casa Bonita place for real? Escaped gorillas? I am speechless! Do you need reservations to attend? I am guessing that the food is terrible, but the ambiance is bizarre/fantastic. No prices were listed - is it really $$? We will be swinging by Manitou Springs, and will be sure to take a peek at the Castaways.

A huge Mahalo for the Tips and Aloha!

Henrik

TF

Next week..

Another weekend of Tiki in Denver.

Sat. 9/13/08 Tiki Fink Grindhouse! ( Movies under the stars )
Sun . 9/14/08 Luau Night at the Tiki Torch, Hosted by Helz and Tiki Fink. This is the shakedown cruise! Don't miss it. 25th and Sheridan in Edgewater.

Need info?

PM me!

BIG SHOW SEPTEMBER 27th!

It's my birthday..and the Burlesque As It Was End of Summer Luau show!
Tiki art show, tiki crafts and costumes for sale! Also a very special tiki history and Denver tiki slide show by Tiki Mike- on the Oriental's big screen! Doors open at 6pm for the art show, slide show at 7 and burlesque at 8:30!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 698 replies