Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Denver Tiki - General info, events, etc.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 698 replies

Also, if you want to enter anything in the art show:

H
Helz posted on Mon, Sep 8, 2008 6:59 PM

BQ,

Looks like an awesome time, we hope to make it!

H
Helz posted on Mon, Sep 8, 2008 7:04 PM

...and

Announcing the "warm up/soft opening" of the Night of Tiki at the Tiki Torch in Edgewater!!

The Tiki Torch as been gracious enough to extend an invitation to the local Ohana to do some guest bartending, with a special drink menu and general spreading of the Aloha!! And if all goes well, we hope to make this a regular event!!

So all you Denver folks, come on out to the Torch this Sunday (September 14th) and tip one back with your fellow Tikiphiles!!!

Since I'm in charge of providing the entertainment for the upcoming Tiki Fink Theatre this weekend, I thought I would share this most excellent movie we will be watching Saturday Night......Forbidden Island (1959). As with both of our previous versions of Tiki Fink Theatre, this film will not disappoint. The cheese factor is very high, lots of bad acting and was filmed on location on the island of Kauai, Hawaii. The movie opens on location inside of the Trader Vic's in Waikiki with Martin Denny playing Forbidden Island on the piano, then it all goes downhill from there. As an added bonus, I found a psychedelic Pink Panther cartoon as a warm up. See everyone on Saturday.

Zulu

Then of course, join the FOM at the Tiki Torch on Sunday for our inaugural monthly 'Night of Tiki' event. This will be a tiki filled fun weekend.

hi. me and my cousin are here in denver and would love to know what is going on in town.we love all things tiki . thanks

MD

Hey ya all.....this has been a long time coming but I wanted to Thank ya all for letting me show with you at the Modernism show. It was a hoot and I made some $. It was good. So thanks Helz, Zulu, Fink, Matterhorn, Pop tiki and all your lovely wahinis.

But just for a couple of notes, I'm trying to get into the Retro cocktail show tiki show in Lawrence Kansas on Nov. 1st. I love kansas....one of the few that do.

And Jan 3oth my buddy and hopefully my wife are going to Rev. Horton Heat at the Gothic. But first we are going to hold down the bar side of the twin dragon for drinks and munchies. Anybody that wants to join us, it might be a rare occasion my wife and I get to go out! Whooooya.

Luv you and your bad livers.

Mr. Dale

MD

Aloha fest, October 12th in Longmont.

http://www.coloradoalohafest.com

Aloha, Fellow Tikiphiles.

Kitchmas is right around the corner, so once again we will be hosting the Merry Kitchmas Holiday Cocktail Party. Last year we had a fantastic turnout and are expecting the same again. Yes, there will be another Astro Weenie Tree, Herb Alpert/The Ventures/Dean Martin and Esquivel playing christmas music and another new round of Kitchmas cocktails. The event takes place in the Kona Luanii, my personal tiki bar. The party is Saturday, December 6, 2008 and starts at 7:30. Everyone is encouraged to wear their retro attire and bring a appropriate hors d'oeuvres or finger food, we had some really great stuff show up last year. If you think you might make it, please RSVP via PM so we can get an idea of how many guests to expect this year I can can get you directions.

Here are some photos from last year's party.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=21061&forum=4&start=270

Zulu

I simply can't wait!

Aloha, Friends.

Sorry to be the Grinch here, but I have canceled the party this year. Maybe next year.

Zulu

MD

May not be the proper forum for this but I gotta vent. Not a lot...just a little.
I love Amici's pizza, 52nd and sheridan, good food, good service. And they have a great business because of it. Started running out of room. Needed something bigger, better location.
So they bought the old Gemini that we only piped dreamed of buying. And according to the Wheat Ridge city council have put over a million dollars getting it in shape.
And yes they sell Italian food. Good Italian food. But man, they killed the A-frame roof in the name of Pizza.
40 years ago they would have made it their trademark, put it on the to go boxes and the menus, Everyone would have known Amici's pizza by the very restraunt it was in.

But now its just another building. Although the food will be very good.

Another slice of American flavor chewed down by bland tastebuds.

So.....blah.

[ Edited by: Mr. Dale 2008-11-29 09:32 ]

I was driving down Wadsworth a few weeks ago and noticed the construction acitivity at the Gemini. The A-frame was still in place, sorry to see it go.

Wow- I will have to go take a drive and check it out. Sad to see an A-frame or any other unique building go to a box!

MD

Hey ya all....just a posting of tikis you haven't seen. The last Moais you saw were at the Modernism show but I've made four more since then....all in the same style, but all so very unique. Like different members of the same tribe.

Plus some pictures of the Waitiki show in Lawrence Kansas. Not Denver but I-70 hooks us together, well that and no ocean for miles!

Living in Thornton.

Decorating my yard.

Moved to Tulsa Okla.

Went to West Arvada.

Waitiki. Awesome Band.

Table of Happy Kansas Drunks and me! Nice People!

Kansas City tiki Central members. Names escape me at the moment.
Avril64 and Brother Jack Musick.......Thats them!

Lets drink More!

[ Edited by: Mr. Dale 2008-12-12 10:52 ]

[ Edited by: Mr. Dale 2008-12-12 14:35 ]

Great work on the moais Dale!

M

Man I miss living around the corner where it was easy to come by and see these things in progress. Good stuff, Dale!

MD

Thanks Zulu! Hope things are good with the floor of the tiki bar.

Moai man.......I was just wondering about you and the family. Hows the new house? Are you still painting? Any more tiki themed ones.

For anyone in Denver reading this...Moai man here is quite the artist. A VERY good artist. Maybe we can bully him into posting some pictures here. Eh?

Chris - We'd love to see your work, this is the place to show it!

Phase II of the Kona Luanii is taking shape....

White walls, white carpet, white ceiling, ughhhhh, so I started painting (with a little help from the girls)

and started with the laminate flooring in the far back room....

It doesn't look much different from this right now, hence no Kitchmas Party. But it will be back and bigger than ever. I've got a killer suprise I'm building into Phase II.

TF

Go Zulu GO!!!!!!!

M

Here are a couple of things I've done. The first pic is my basement - I've managed to secure one corner in our new house for myself and some of my few tiki things. The wood paneling was there, so I had a pretty good head start. You'll recognize the mai tai sign from the Book of Tiki. I loved it so much I painted one to hang on my outdoor patio. Painted on cedar boards, it should look great after it weathers for a few more years outside.

The two Hawaiian figures are my most recent. I did the pair to fill those sweet frames I found at the Salvation Army several years ago. 17" x 14", acrylic on masonite.

This last pic isn't tiki, but probably the best example of some things I've done previously. This was a series I did of my brother and three friends. Each is 20" x 20", acrylic on canvas.

I've got a few ideas for new things - I'll post them as I finish them. Let me know what you all think.
MoaiMan

Excellent paintings Moai! I love the orange backgrounds on the tikis.

The wood paneling in your basement works, it looks very nice.

Zulu

Very nice basement and fantastic paintings! I hope you can expand the bar a little at a time!! The wood paneling looks fantastic and the Mai Tai sign is beautiful!

MD

Great work Moai and Zulu......I feel the tiki love spilling all over this town.

I guess I gotta start diggin' a basement.

[ Edited by: Mr. Dale 2008-12-30 07:26 ]

MD

Hawaiian style Jam at the D-Note........Hula night....Friday Jan 16th. 6-8 pm.

MD

We're showing a tiki at the D-note in Olde town Arvada this Friday night. Hawaiian Jam. A pizza, my family, and a bunch of Ukuleles. Should be fun.

And sadly the Continental Club closed on New Years eve. Its said that they will re-open under new management in a few weeks. But I wonder if the Tiki Boyds menu will still be there. I had a blue hawaiian there a couple of weeks ago and danced my butt off to a hill-billy punk band. Where else could that happen?

Mahalo.....Mr. Dale

[ Edited by: Mr. Dale 2009-01-15 11:23 ]

My Pals at Jonesy's are throwing an inaguration night luau:

Inauguration Night Luau!
(seem's appropriate, considering where our new Prez grew up!)

Jonesy's EatBar
January 20, 2009
Jonesy's: Corner of 20th & Logan
400 East 20th Avenue
Denver, CO

[email protected]

Celebrate Barack Obama's Inauguration at Jonesy's!

Food specials...think pig on a spit...Drink specials...kinda like Obama Mamas!

Celebrate HISTORY!!

TF

Sounds like a good time! I will try to make it.

T.F.

I was reading Sabu the Coconut Boy's excellent post today about tiki inspired college yearbooksback in the day (excellent post!!)

Whoa and behold, look who I found. None other than our own Mr. Dale.

Seen here in 1955 making a lovely hat.

And then again here in 2006 at the Twin Dragon restaurant.

Dale, what's your secret to keeping your looks and girlish figure? It must be the mositurizing cream infused with sawdust and shavings from your tiki carvings!

Zulu

TF

Speaking of the Twin Dragon.... Do we want to say something here?

Sure . . .

Everyone welcome!!!

With the holidays over and our schedules getting back to normal, Chinese New Year is right around the corner. Last year we started an annual tiki celebration for the Chinese New Year (really it is just another opportunity for us to get together, share tiki drinks and fun) and we are doing it again this year.

This year we will be visiting one of our favorite tiki places in here in town, the Twin Dragon Restaurantin Englewood.

Stop by Saturday evening, January 24th (7:00) for exotic tiki drinks, fun and fellowship. We will be in the lounge wearing the aloha shirts, you can't miss us! The Twin Dragon has some of the best Chinese food in Denver, they also serve flaming pu pu platter appetizers and flaming tiki drinks. The Twin Dragon is located at 3021 South Broadway in downtown Englewood (a few blocks north of the intersection of Hampden and South Broadway).

Flamming Pu Pu Platter...delicious

Scorpion Bowl for two...but I know several of you out there who drink this one by yourself (myself included)

The Zombie....can't go wrong with this one!

The next issue of the Rocky Mountain Tiki Newsletter will be finished by then and I will be handing out copies. Aloha, we'll see you all there.

If you are new to the group, come out and say hi, this is a really nice, fun group of friends.

Zulu

CJ

On 2009-01-17 10:35, ZuluMagoo wrote:
Sure . . .

Everyone welcome!!!

With the holidays over and our schedules getting back to normal, Chinese New Year is right around the corner. Last year we started an annual tiki celebration for the Chinese New Year (really it is just another opportunity for us to get together, share tiki drinks and fun) and we are doing it again this year.

This year we will be visiting one of our favorite tiki places in here in town, the Twin Dragon Restaurantin Englewood.

Stop by Saturday evening, January 24th (7:00) for exotic tiki drinks, fun and fellowship. We will be in the lounge wearing the aloha shirts, you can't miss us! The Twin Dragon has some of the best Chinese food in Denver, they also serve flaming pu pu platter appetizers and flaming tiki drinks. The Twin Dragon is located at 3021 South Broadway in downtown Englewood (a few blocks north of the intersection of Hampden and South Broadway).

I'm there! I've been talking about going to Twin Dragons for weeks now. See you there!

CJ

damn! I thought it was the twin dragons in Los Angeles http://www.picotwindragon.com/

Well I'm going still but not the one in Denver.

TF

Come on down!!!!!! It will be great!

MD

Damn....Zulu...those pictures are Funny. I still look the same don't I? Well.....less hair. I knew it was gonna happen....thats why I was making all those scratchy hats!
We sure are gonna try and make the 24th. I gotta see you crazy Fez wearin' cats. Always a good time.

A bunch of us are also raiding the Twin Dragon on the 30th. Get all happy faced with Tiki drinks before stumbling down the street and into the Rev. Horton Heat show at the Gothic, tickets are only $9.33. You guys sure are welcome to come along and watch me get stupid.

I took Amy and the babies up to the D-note for the Hawaiian Jam. It was amazing how many Hawaiians we have in Denver and well they keep their music and dances alive. The hula ladies were terrific. We'll have bring all these groups together someday for a Castaways Christmas Islands blowout.

And my last Moai is gonna be staying at the D-note for a month or two showing off its huge chin.. so drop by, get pizza and a beer and say Aloha to a tiki.

Mr. Dale

MD

Fink...I'm still giggling about your Corinthian leather joke....good stuff brother.

TF

I sincerely hope to see as many of you as possible at our gathering on Saturday. It should be a classic good time!!!

Till then.

T.F.

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 03:49:18 ]

Just a heads up to any Vinyl collectors in Denver.

Twist and Shout on Colfax has a Martin Denny "Quiet Village" and "Hypnotique" also a Arthur Lyman "Taboo" all in decent shape. I have them already or would have grabed them.

Good times for our Meet and Greet at the venerable Twin D to celebrate the year of the OX!!

It was super cool to meet so many new people! Thanks to everyone who made it!!!!
HAPPY OX YEAR!!

[ Edited by: Tiki Fink 2009-01-27 11:02 ]

Man I'm kinda bummed the wife and I got there late 8:45 and when I didn't see anyone at the bar I figured we missed you all.

Oh well next time I guess...
Looking forward to meeting some like minded folk.

Scott - We were all still there in back, but the TD closes kind of early (9:00) and we were the last party to leave. Seems like we are always the ones to close them down the nights we visit there.

Keep your ears open here for future happenings.

Zulu

M

Hi there mountain people,

Thought you might enjoy this upcoming event in Boulder:

http://www.bouldercuba.org/

It's a fundraiser with rum, food and cocktails, and featuring a talk with rum guru Ed Hamilton, who I know doesn't get to Colorado too often.

Check it out & aloha!

Greetings to those of you where the air is thin.

The wife and I just caught the Sweet Hollywaiians from Osaka at Forbidden Island and it was very enjoyable. You might have seen the thread.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=30997&forum=17

The musicianship is impressive and we found them to be very self-effacing and pleasant during the breaks. (Heads up: they don't speak much English - but that's not an issue for me since I used to live in Japan.)

Anyway, according to their myspace page they'll be at the Denver Ukulele Festival @ Swallow Hill
Feb. 07, 2009
10:00 at 71 East Yale Avenue, Denver, Colorado CO 80210
http://www.myspace.com/sweethollywaiians

Do a search for them on YouTube and you'll get an idea what their music is like.

The more you know...

• SV

I have my tickets to see them already, Swallow Hill is where I took my Ukulele lessons... Cant wait for the UkeFest!!!

TF

Help me Im' sinking.........

TF

Announcing the Denver Area Meet & Greet and Summer Luau!
7/11/09 7:00pm

Stay tuned for more details!

H
Helz posted on Wed, May 27, 2009 8:36 PM

FINK!!!!

I can't wait! I'm going to start training now, so that I'm in prime condition come July!!

MD

Mr. Dale is there! Me and my Bad Liver.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 698 replies