Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Denver Tiki - General info, events, etc.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 698 replies

Bummer.
We were all set to go to this, and the wife came home with a massive cold... maybe even flu... all I know is she's sick as hell and I'm practicing voodoo in the backyard in hopes that I will not contract the virus.
MORE RUM!

MD

It was really nice........very relaxing.
Mango must know a 1000 Hawaiian songs and maybe it was his family that was there....but they danced all night.

Hope to see you all at the Twin Dragon if'n me and the kids work it out.

We'll definitely be at the Dragon... even if she has to wear a surgical mask.

Hey members of the FOM,

Thanks for the fun time at Twin Dragon!
We were bummed we had to leave early – we enjoyed ourselves nonetheless.

Stay warm everyone!

A big thanks to everyone that made it out to the Dragon!!!!
It was another great time for sure and thanks to all those that remembered tp bring towels!!!!

MD

I don't have everybody's address or number so here ya go high plains....official invite to my house for a pre-mardi Gras party Saturday night the 26th........anyone on here is sure welcome.

Mr. D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsUXo0L4bMg

H
Helz posted on Fri, Feb 25, 2011 12:40 PM

Dale,

We're gonna try to be there....Last year was a blast!

And Thanks again to everyone that made it to the Twin Dragon for Chinese New Year! I can only hope you all had a much fun as I did!

MD

Thanks to everyone that made it Sat. night. Was quite the strange, happy and enchanting night that Mardi Gras parties should be. clothes on.....well for most of the night.

Congrats again to Troy and Amy Bacher on winning the mounted Pirahna., and amazing Denver artist, Melody Sealman on winning the large tiki.

The Ace of hearts was the winning card both times.......gotta be some meaning to it but we don't know what yet.

Eight hours of cleanup was well worth it.

[ Edited by: Mr. Dale 2011-02-28 16:28 ]

TF

Wow.. I should check in on TC more often.

Argh - Dale - I only just saw this post!! Dammit!
Wish I could've participated in the Mardi Gras menagerie.

On another note: I am debating about whether to go to The Hukilau this year or Tiki Oasis. I've never been to either. Is one better than the other? Anyone else going?

Mahalo!

The Hukilau
Smaller, less folks so its easier to meet people. Plus you get to go to the Mai-Kai and the event is across the street from the beach.

Tiki Oasis
MUCH larger ALOT more people and ALOT more vendors. NO Mai-Kai and its a drive to the beach.
A plus is the bands all play in the center courtyard of the hotel.

If I was going to just one this year it would be the Hukilau to get to see Tikiyaki play at the Mai-Kai.

I agree with Scott on the differences between the events.

If you have to choose one, the experience of visiting the Mai Kai swings the vote to Hukilau.

Zulu

Thanks guys - this definitely helps.
Plus Michelle told me it's the 10th anniversary - that kind of makes it a little more awesome, too. :wink:

Mahalo!

Hey all -

Just wanted to give everyone a heads-up for our 8th Annual Tiki Fest party,
happening July 30th. More info and full website to come. In the meantime, save the date!

Mahalo!

I may be in Colorado on the 30th! I will keep an eye out for your event. Aloha

MD

Art walkers....look for one of my earlier Moai if front of Id Gallery on 8th and Sante Fe.

They own it now.... and I guess its gonna stay out front until it decides to walk off. And Maoi do walk.....strange damn things they are.

TF

Aloha!

Just a note to let you know that Lemon Hart 151 will be in stock at The Winejester starting
4/08/11. In addition to this we also carry Velvet Falernum and Allspice Dram ( Pimento Liquor )

Oh, we will carry Eldorado Rum as well!

Come on in, it's your one stop alcho-tiki connection.

4340 Tennyson Street
Denver, CO 80212

H
Helz posted on Wed, Apr 6, 2011 8:26 PM

Finally a place to get El Dorado within 45 minutes...hope you guys will have the 5 yr...

G

Awesome on the Lemon Hart. I'm two hours away but I come up for work often enough.

gabbahey

TF

We should have it all, including Eldorado 5 this afternoon!

G

Btw Winejesters is awesome. Good price on the Lemon Hart and the El Dorado. I talked to some friends and it has a good reputation with the wine crowd.

Gabbahey

Ooh, yeah, I gotta stop by and get me some LH151 this weekend.

TS

Ok...short of sounding like a mooch...where in CO is Tiki happening over the weekend of April 30-May 1 and/or May 7-8? I will be in Boulder for a couple of weeks (dates pending approval) and would sincerely like some entertainment over the weekends while I am not working.I think I am going to the Cruise Night in Golden on Saturday the 7th but after that, it is sort of anticlimactic. Thanks for the help.
Mahalos,
TS...

TS

So ah...nothing huh? Gee. Too bad for me. Guess I'll have to keep hunting.
TS

Yeah- sorry it's a bit of a desert here in Denver tiki wise- most of the stuff happening is created by people on this list, and there's nothing I know of this or next weekend. I'm having my peepsbq on the 8th if that's of interest and my basement tiki bar will be open! Open invite to you all! http://peepsbq.com/ http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=166488580073464

Here's a list of tiki and cocktail stuff in Denver I posed in the past:
Not much Tiki beyond a few Chinese places that serve exotic drinks in the mugs- The best decor, drinks and food is at Twin Dragon- http://www.twindragonrestaurant.com/- but we've got a few great craft cocktail places poppin up. .

The Cruise Room is a vintage dream serving okay vintage coctails with mostly fresh juices. Their cocktail menu is very fru-fru, but you can skip it and just have them make you any cocktail you can think of http://www.theoxfordhotel.com/dining/cruise-room.php. They're attached to a McCormick's restaurant, with great seafood.

South Broadway has some great vintage clothes and bookstores, plus the amazing Mayan Theatre and Beatrice and Woodsley's http://www.beatriceandwoodsley.com/(more great coctails, incredible design, local and super interesting/delicious food and their happy hour features half price drinks). They have a sister bar downtown called Double Daughters, not far from the cruise room that's worth a look http://doubledaughters.com/

Root Down http://www.rootdowndenver.com/in Denver's Highland neighborhood and Colt and Grey http://www.coltandgray.com/on the west side of downtown both have incredible food, and amazing craft cocktails.

Also in the highlands A Cote, a quaint french absinthe bar with a full shelf of different absinthes. They have wonderful cocktails and light french fare- and next door is Z cuisine, a full (and terrific) french restaurant. http://www.zcuisineonline.com/

There's some really cool mid-century modern neighborhoods. They're outside of central Denver, but well worth the taxi fare http://www.milehimodern.com/modernTour.php

Also on west Colfax is one of my favorite places, Casa Bonita- a fake Mexican wonderland/restaurant. The food's not great (they make it palatable to kids, so lots of velveeta) but the 2 story waterfall, volcanic rocks, silly shows and mariachi make the 8 bucks (for dinner, or you can just pay that entry fee) well worth it. They do make a decent if candy-like Pina Colada. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casa_Bonita

MD

Gotta love Michelle.....she's like our very own Denver cruise director. We could never get bored with her around...always a hoot and man....she's awful nice to look at.

Denver Tiki Tribe:

Please join us for our 8th Annual Tiki Fest (Cha-Cha-Cha)!

Yeah, we kinda ripped off this year's Tiki Oasis idea, except we want to celebrate all things Latin, not just Mexico.
And what goes better with a delicious tiki drink than some great Mambo?

Visit the website for more deets and to RSVP.
Hula Moon will be bartending, of course. :wink:

http://www.tiki-fest.com

Hope to see you there!

[ Edited by: tikibeeyatch 2011-04-29 10:59 ]

Sounds fun... count me and the missus in.

Here's some other Denver stuff for Tiki Slob not touched on yet:

8 Rivers near 15th and Blake: Not tiki at all no way no how, BUT, the finest rum collection in town. They do rum flights and have some decent hand-made cocktails. Sadly, and strangely, no Mai-Tai, though.

Green Russell: I haven't been there yet, but I'm told it's THE place for craft cocktails in town at the moment. It's "hidden" behind a bakery, speakeasy style.

Euclid Hall: Excellent cocktail list, wonderful small plate foods (3 kinds of "gourmet" poutine), and a pretty killer little beer list.

Which... brings me to beer... you're in Colorado, so go with the flow and shoot for what we do best.

You'll be in Boulder, so make sure you get to Avery Brewing's tasting room. You can even take the bus from downtown to avoid those pesky driving issues when visiting such a place. They'll have mindblowing stuff on tap that they don't bottle, and they do tours as well.

In Denver... well, hell... in Denver just throw a bottle cap and you'll hit a great beer place.
•Great Divide at 22nd and Arapahoe is pretty damn fantastic. Their tasting room is pretty small, so avoid it at rush hour.
•Falling Rock near 20th and Blake is world class, with something like 64 taps of beers from all over the world, and then more in bottles in the cooler.
•Freshcraft near 15th and Blake is making a lot of waves with their excellent Colorado-centric tap selection and killer food.
•Rackhouse on Kalamath near Alameda has a treasure trove of Colorado beers, and has an excellent whiskey selection, including the euphoric Stranahans CO Whiskey that's distilled and bottled in the back.
•Hops & Pie is a great little taproom/pizza place on Tennyson that carries California and Colorado beers on tap and makes a fantastic pizza.
•Cheeky Monk on Colfax has mostly Belgian ales on tap... easily the finest selection I've seen other than Lucky Baldwin's in Pasadena. Their burger is great, and they have several styles of mussels, as well.

Anyways, there really is no tiki here... but there're plenty of other excellent options for hanging out and hoisting a few.

TS

OKEHHHHY. Now we're talkin'. Much mahalos to burleyque for that awesome list of Denver things to do. I am not a facebook person but many things are leading to my joining just to see the things that so many folks are always saying to go there for. I will think about the 8th and get back to you on that. Thanks for that. It turns out as I have asked around here in Boulder and on a couple of car forums over the last week that I will be pretty busy on the 7th. In Golden there is a cruise night on the 7th...meaning cars and bikes and stuff...I am for sure going to that being the Kustom Kar guy that I am. But before that, I hear there is a huge antique mall called the Brass Armadillo (?).

Mr. Dale...thanks for chiming in.

CucamongaChango...Thank you for that supplement to burleyque's dissertation. I feel like I now have a savory menu from which to choose some delectable places to keep me occupied. Yes...I have been coming to Boulder for 18 months almost every week and have frequented Avery quite often since I have been working at Ball Aerospace during those months. I have been to New Belgium and Odels too...gotta love that 90 Schilling.

You guys have really helped a guy out. Over the past months coming to Boulder I have been to the Denver Roller Dolls Championship bout at the 1st Bank Center in Broomfield. Toured multiple breweries, gotten tattooed here in town, met some fantastic locals that have turned me on to antique shops, places to drive (peak-to-peak drive from Nederlans both north and south to Black Hawk), Estes Park, cruise nights in Golden and now some great places to see in Denver. I even got a chance to play the drums with a fantastic guitar player (Kieth Spargo) and his buddies from a death metal band called Silencer. I also heard that there was some kind of Frank Sinatra martini place on a walk street mall kind of place in Denver too. Where might that be?
Mahalo hana hoe!
TS

Hi again everyone!

Hula Moon will be serving up some fresh, delicious mocktails and gourmet ice pops
at the Horseshoe Market this Saturday, 9 am - 4 pm. We're also going to have a little
tiki lounge set up and will be playing some tasty tunes.

AND, Food Network is going to be there from noon - 4 pm, filming for their hit
TV show "The Great Food Truck Race!" Exciting!

Attached is a flyer for your informational perusal. Hope you all can
come down and throw back a couple Mai Tai mocktails.

Mahalo!

TS

I would like to have made that one tikibeeyatch. Thanks so much for the info. I headed to Golden for the hot rod cruise night. I had a blast. I also found Tiki of my own in Denver. Please see this post,http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=34343&forum=2&start=last&12
Mata iru shiromisu,
Tiki Slob

Just wanted to send out a big thank you to the cats who showed up to the Hula Moon tent at the Horseshoe Market last weekend. You guys rock!!

It was truly a great day - we did really well. The tiki gods were smiling upon us.

:wink: tb

TF

Saturday, July 9 · 7:00pm - 11:00pm

THE KAHANUI CHAPTER OF THE FRATERNAL ORDER OF MOAI
The 5th Annual Denver / Colorado Area FOM Summer Luau / Meet & Greet

A Tiki themed event taking polynesian popular culture back to it's roots in the officer's clubs in the South Pacific of 1942.

Suggested donation of $10.00 per person goes to help the furry ones at Denver Dumb Friends League.

To RSVP PM me here or email to [email protected]. ... I will respond with directions for those who need em.

Scratch my last post... space/time continuum flux or what-have-you.

[ Edited by: cucamongachango 2011-06-09 23:56 ]

Just a little bump to remind everyone about FOM Squadron 1942. July 9th 7:00pm

BE THERE!!!!!!!

RSVP tp [email protected] or PM me here!!

Information also on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=145278892202213

TF

On 2011-05-19 18:03, Tiki Fink wrote:

Saturday, July 9 · 7:00pm - 11:00pm

THE KAHANUI CHAPTER OF THE FRATERNAL ORDER OF MOAI
The 5th Annual Denver / Colorado Area FOM Summer Luau / Meet & Greet

A Tiki themed event taking polynesian popular culture back to it's roots in the officer's clubs in the South Pacific of 1942.

COMING SOON! SATURDAY 7/09/11

Suggested donation of $10.00 per person goes to help the furry ones at Denver Dumb Friends League.

To RSVP PM me here or email to [email protected]. ... I will respond with directions for those who need em.

Hey Denver tiki tribe:

This Saturday is the 8th Annual Tiki Fest!

Hope you can make it for some tasty cocktails and food, good music,
kiddie pools, and more. Plus our annual limbo contest!
This year the winner takes home a custom tshirt, tiki mug
AND a bottle of El Dorado Demerara rum.

Info & deets here: http://www.tiki-fest.com

Email me for directions: [email protected]

See you Saturday!

Saturday! Star Bar is hosting a Tiki Party featuring me, your favorite Hula Moon girl/Montanya Brand Ambassador, fabulous tiki drinks featuring rum from Montanya Distillers and music from awesome surf band The Royal Aces! No Cover 8pm-2am

Party hop from Erin's to Star Bar!

MD

What the hell ladies......expect us to have to get all our tiki fun in one night? Can't spread it out over a couple of weekends huh?

So...first my house.....then Erin's tiki fest cha cha cha....then Star Bar and Michelle....then to Dana's amazing fair til it closes.....back to Star bar...... and then Erin's again.

Man..........I am so gonna need a driver.

(Seems the ladies are running this town.....and doing it properly BTW.)

Ps. Mauka tiki is supossed to open soon on Broadway....good luck to 'em. Hopefully it'll fly nicely....still need a new home base bar.....RIP high street speakeasy.

G

I am so bummed to miss all the tiki action up north this weekend.

gabbahey

Apologies for the craziness - but hey, it's a good kind of crazy.

When it rains it pours. (cue fake lightening and rain from ceiling)

:wink:

MD

Many Mahalo to Erin and Mike for thier fantastic tiki fest last weekend......always nicely done. Your handmade drinks, tiki bar and monster collection is still one of my favorite visits,

And Miss Michelle.....very amazing tiki night at star bar. To actually have perfect tiki drinks served up anywhere near LoDo is a feat unto itself. Thanks to your Lupec girls, Montanya Rum (sp?), your decorations and the great surf band....The Royal Aces. They were really good.

Any chance this could become a regular thing there? Like weekly or monthly? I'd be there every time I could.

Anyone know a local source for Clement Creole Shrubb?

M

Burleyque,
Don't know about the Creole Shrubb (wasn't looking for it), but I picked up a bottle of Clement VSOP at Argonaut a couple of weeks ago. Yum! Maybe they can order it if they don't carry it...

Hey any help needed setting up the tiki lounge this week? Lemme know if you guys need a hand!

MD

Traveling Moai alert.....Tall Grumpy boy will be glooming his way through the entire surreal performance of Cirque Voltaire this Friday at the Oriental Theatre......lots of dark surreal art, dancers and acts along with Denver's best Zombie Polka band....the amazing Widow's Bane.

G

Folks that are going to the Denver Modernism Show:

Is it worth it to get VIP passes if I'm only going Friday and Saturday or should I just buy the two single tickets. Is the big tiki action on Friday?

gabbahey

H
Helz posted on Wed, Aug 24, 2011 9:46 PM

I wouldn't say that all the big Tiki action is on Friday night...I'd like to think that we 'bring it' for the full show!

But that being said, Friday night is definitely more of a party atmosphere, and the FOM Kahanui Chapter (Proud Sponsor and Host of the Tiki Lounge http://www.denvermodernism.com/tikilounge.html) will be there in full force with the aloha.

Sorry we didn't get a chance chat at the luau, looking forward to meeting ya!

[ Edited by: Helz 2011-08-24 21:48 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 698 replies