Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Denver Tiki - General info, events, etc.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 698 replies

MD

So......Damn near two months from today.....Me and the rest of the Denver Rats are headed to the beautiful black hills in search of steaks, beer, mayhem and mind clearing Zen moments.
I spent most of my childhood running around the Lead / Deadwood / Sturgis areas and am acting as drunken tour guide.
There are seven of us all headed up on piles of poop Jap bikes that no one spent over $1500 on. But thats half the fun....just getting there and back.
But I am sending this out in case any of ya all are gonna be up there for the Strugis Bike Rally or the Days of 76 rodeo.
Let me know and we'll all meet up. Perhaps try and drain the Bodega bar or the #10 Saloon of all its beer. Cause god know they have NO idea what goes in a blue hawaiian.

Mr. Dale Sawin......Vintage Ford mechanic, daiper changing Mac daddy, part time art snob, full time greasy knuckled Zen Master.
-Happy Skull-ptures---

[ Edited by: Mr. Dale 2007-05-24 09:25 ]

Howdy -

Not to mess up the posting flow here, but thought I'd throw this out to those interested in the whole Tiki Bar/membership thing.

There's a storefront available for lease on South Broadway. It's pretty small, but reasonably priced. I know at this point it's just a pipedream, but here's the info for those interested:

2435 S. Broadway, 800sf, $700/mo utils incl.

Found this listing on post-newsclassifieds.com.

Cheers!

TF

Interesting.

I am glad that there has been some thought on this matter. If there is enough interest, it would be cool to get together and meet as previously suggested, to talk about the prospects of a private tiki club. In the past I have been part of an art co-op that started in much the same way. If we had 15 or 20 people involved and dedicated to the project, there is no doubt that we could get this off the ground.

T.F.

MD

Isadore Gallery...35th and Walnut....

This Friday night is "Retroville".....Pin-ups....hot rods and TIKIS! I don't know who made them....they are styrofoam....but hell...they are tikis. Anybody here make 'em?
Plus its First Friday and all the galleries are open. Should be a good time.

I'm taking my whole family down....Eddie said he'd go as long as daddy didn't try and dress him up like Elvis again.
He looks good like Elvis. My poor kids.

TF

Im' in. I won't get there until around 8:00 or so but I will check it out for sure.

T.F.

TF

From Friday's Rocky Mountain News Spotlight:

Sounds pretty cool. An excuse for a Sunday mountain drive and cocktails with friends!
We should seriously consider checking this one out. Nudge Zulu.......
Considering that The Castaways has been suckin' of late and the long awaited Hut is MIA. LET'S GO!!!!! SOOOOON!!!!

T.F.

The Nest

Evergreen Golf Course, 29614 Upper Bear Creek Road, Evergreen; 303-674-6351

• Lay of the land: The Keys on the Green restaurant next to this challenging hilly course is a well-known, well-regarded eatery, but the secret ace is The Nest, an affable golfer's tiki hangout above the restaurant with great views of the course that highlight what's so attractive about mountain golf. And that's not to mention the enticing Friday Afternoon Club there - from 4 to 7 p.m., enjoy $5.95 apps (calamari, shrimp, wings, etc.), $3 well, $2 draughts and two-for-one martinis. "I espe- cially love (the patio) in the late summer or early fall when the elk head down the mountain in the afternoon," says Danielle Beck, 32, who considers this her favorite course in Colorado.

As some of you know, I have been working on my personal tiki room in my basement over the last year. Well, it is finished. You can see the progress at this link, or jump to page 4 for the final pictures. Now of course, the burning issue is when to host the grand opening party.....stay tuned.

Zulu

TF

Amazing pics Zulu!!! I love the step by step stuff. Can't wait to see it in person.

Dale,

Did you end up going to Retroville? I was there long enough to check out the art but I was not going to stand in line for an hour just for a cocktail, so I pretty much booked.

Finally....

There are some exciting new mugs from Tiki Farm at my store ( Total Beverage Westminster 93rd & Sheridan ).

Exotiki ( New and it will hold one hell of a big drink )
The Sqrewed-Up Squll ( Dive into a Zombie!! )
Triple Header ( Way Cool! )
NEW GLAZE! GOON
Tron the Beachcomber
Radar Vic Tiki Mug
Don Ho's Suck 'em Up Glass ( The PERFECT Mai Tai glass! )
NEW COLOR! "Drei Moai" Footed Tiki Mug

Can't beat the low prices with a free rewards card!!!

Hope you are all ready for a crazy cool and Tikiriffic summer.

T.F.

Fink- how was the art? I found out about the event on Sunday having just got back from New England on Saturday. Went to Kowloon and Tiki Island. Will share images soon.

Hey Zulu -

Awesome, awesome job! Your bar looks delicious. Hopefully you've had time to relax with a Mai Tai and take it all in.

MD

Great work Zulu!!!!! Very nice...Yer gonna need an ejection seat from a f-15 to get me outta there after a night of drinking! Didn't see one in the pictures...must have missed it.

Yeah Fink....we went to the show early, took my Galaxie and parked out front....left early.....have to with the babies. But it was really nice.
Talked to a guy Scott Burgess. He made the Tikis and the bar cases that he pinstriped. He also did the paintings on the sheetmetal. Only person I've ever met besides myself that paints on metal. So it was cool to talk to him.
Good show......tiki is everywhere.

Sorry we couldn't stay and meet ya finally.

Have a great day.....Mr. Dale

Z

Dale - Take a closer look at the pics for the Kona Luanii and you will notice that your tiki #4 has found a new home. He has been transplanted from Bill's apartment and now resides with me. He has also been renamed 'Big D' in recognition of the carver.

Zulu

MD

Oh thats great news Zulu.....My tikis seems to grow feet and move all over. That one always reminded me of my grandpa Guy in South Dakota....he was a gold miner in the Black Hills.
Had a stubborn sorta look even when smiling.
I'm glad ya have him.

How is Tiki Bill....still around? Is he o.k.? He was always a nice guy.

Hey- Now that the Hukilau is over, I think its time to start planning a trip to Casa Bonita.

Sounds good!

I can always make it on Sunday. Fri. Evenings are ok too.

T.F.

Matterhorn, I think that's a great idea. How about meeting up Sunday either July 8th or 15th at Casa Bonita (say 6:00). That will be fun. Afterwards, we could head over to Lakeside for a few rides on their classic attractions. Summer evenings at Lakeside can't be beat if you are a fan of classic amusement parks, the neon, the sounds, the popcorn the history and the rides! Lakeside has a few real classics left. I also love that you only pay $2.50 to get in and then pay as you go. The Cyclone ($2), the Wild Chipmunk ($1.50) and The Whip ($1.50). Which Sunday works best for everyone?

Also, anyone interested in a sneak peek over at the Kona Luanii? :wink: I could use some help with coming up with some house drinks.

H
Helz posted on Mon, Jun 25, 2007 7:09 PM

YES YES YES!!!

YES to Casa Bonita...whenever works for us.

YES to Lakeside...I like my rides with the actual potential for death!

and DOUBLE YES to working on a drink menu....I know ya got some names lined out and they sound perfect...now just to round out the flavors....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yujDy8v2tQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiRnwmYNBAE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh1owHa6R9c&mode=related&search=

and of course...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3clo3jmbug&mode=related&search=

[ Edited by: HelzTiki 2007-06-25 19:15 ]

All- July 8th works best for me. I will be in Anaheim on July 15th so I cannot make it. See you all on the 8th and I will bring your jacket Helz.

TF

We are talking about Casa Bonita on the 8th? Very good date for us. Details? Would anyone want to do Lakeside and Casa Bonita on the same day?

OK - Meet at Casa Bonita at 6:00 on Sunday July 8th. Open invitation to anyone who would like to attend. Afterwards, we will head over to Lakeside just as all of the the lights start to come on (that place has TONS more character at night).

Zulu

[ Edited by: ZuluMagoo 2007-06-28 21:33 ]

H
Helz posted on Thu, Jun 28, 2007 12:52 PM

Sounds fantastic! See all y'all there!

As Helztiki says- sounds fantastic. Look forward to seeing every one (and the Cliff Divers!)

Perfect. Nice pic Zulu!

T.F.

Aw, man - this sounds fun! Would've been the perfect scenario to finally meet members of the Denver tiki tribe. My birthday dinner is planned for that same night, so I can't make it. Really sucks too because we live right across I-70 from Lakeside! Anyway, have fun everyone and hopefully I'll hook up with you guys on another outing. Don't fall off the Wild Chipmunk!

TF

Happy birthday anyway! Too bad the timing is off for you.

Just to throw it out there, I think it is getting to be movie time soon at the Tiki Fink shack. Details to follow.

T.F.

H
Helz posted on Tue, Jul 3, 2007 12:12 PM

MOVIE NIGHT AT FINK'S....

EXCELENT.

Great to see all of you on Sunday night and enjoy the wonder of Casa Bonita and to finish off with Lakeside. Look forward to seeing you all at movie night at Finks.

MD

What the &%%#()&!!!!!!!

A guy goes to Oregon for a week and misses all the fun here!!!!!! AAARRRGGH!

I've never met half you people.....I don't believe you really exist. This is all just some crazy dream caused by old ford grease seeping into my pores and affecting my brain.

If you are real then riddle me this batman....which old Lakeside ticket booth would make the best free standing bar? I'm going with the Hurricane...its B a utiful!

I am partial to the Spider with the great spider web graphic. And think what the Auto Scooter would be as a bar! All that space....

Eight of us showed up last Sunday for a fun filled evening. Too bad you and Amy missed us Dale, but there are possibly three more events in the works for this summer.

We started with a drink or two at the Kona Luanii to break in my place, then off to Casa Bonita and Lakeside. We ended up getting to CB a little later than planned, we had a tough time leaving the Kona Luanii. Helz took quite a few pictures during the evening, any of them turn out and postable?

Thanks to Tiki Fink/Randi, Matterhorn/Joyce, and Helz/Rita, you are all are good friends and we enjoy hanging out with you guys. I'm glad we have a group of like-minded tikiphiles here in Denver.

Helz, lets do the FOM you spoke about. The KL is available as needed.

Zulu

Great evening! Thanks to everyone, we had a blast. I can't stop thinking about that damned drop tower. Wow (double-WOW goes for Mrs. Fink - I'm still tryng to shake my organs back into place!). And the Kona Luani. Truly spectacular!!!!!!!

TF

Tiki Fink Theatre.

We were talking about Sunday evening August 5th. How is that date for everyone? Like last time there is seating for 14 people so this is pretty limited. We will do light snacks and I swear that I will not forget the popcorn this time. If this date sounds good, I will coordinate with Zulu and we will make it official.

Your feedback on this is very much apreciated!

Mahalo!

T.F.

P.S.

If there are any fun pics of our last outing PLEASE post.

Thanks for hosting this again! Helz and I will be there...can't wait!

Alissa and I are good for the 5th.

Zulu

Joyce and I can make it on the 5th as well. Look forward to Popcorn and everything else. Any decision on the film we will see?

TF

She Gods of Shark Reef 8/5/07
Tiki Fink's Shack

Cocktails and snacks @ 7:00 PM

Movie @ sundown.

RSVP to [email protected], post here or PM me here with any questions. If you need directions Please email or PM me !

I am holding spots for everyone who has replied here. There are 8 spots left. I wish there were more but I only have so many chairs and what we discovered last time was that a smaller group worked out great. I want everyone to be able to see the movie.

8/5/07 is my b-day. Last year I spent it with the super cool folks who made it to Scottsdale / Valley Ho / New Trader Vic's.
Gotta keep it Tiki! Cant wait to see everyone!!!!

Hey there Mr. Fink -

Could you count me in as well for Tiki theatre night? Finally, a chance to meet all of you fellow Denver tiki-philes. I'm trying to get my hubby to go (not sure how many spaces are left) but he might have band practice that night. Do we need to bring anything - food or booze-wise?

TF

Glad you can make it! I will hold a spot for you two!

6 Spots left.

T.F.

[ Edited by: Tiki Fink 2007-07-25 07:59 ]

We're just back from a week+ vacation down near the Ozarks of boating and RVing and had a great time. When we downloaded our pictures tonight I found this shot that was taken a few weeks ago at the Kona Luanii Pre-Party. We didn't take our camera to Casa Bonita or Lakeside, so I don't have any more from that evening.

(Back - ZuluMagoo, Mr. & Mrs. Tiki Fink, Mr. & Mrs. Matterhorn1959)
(Front - Mr. & Mrs. HelzTiki)

We are looking forward to Tiki Fink Theater next Sunday. Fink - I'd be happy to put together the pre-show entertainment like last year if you like, let me know.

Zulu

Great picture....that Kona Luanii looks pretty awesome. :)

Shot taken last year at Tiki Fink Theater (back on pg.1 of this post)

TF

Zulu:

Another pre-show would be fantastic!

Just a reminder, we still have four spots left. We are just six days out.

Dale, what are you doin' Sunday?

[ Edited by: Tiki Fink 2007-07-30 09:35 ]

TF

I only have a couple of spots left. For TFT2

Just sowz ya knowz.

T.F.

TF

Just an update. I have recieved more RSVPs and we now have a full house. If you did RSVP and you don't think you can make it, let me know.

See you all Sunday!

T.F.

MD

Aloha ya all.......Sorry I didn't get this sooner.
We just got from 5 days of Motorcycle madness in the Black Hills and my under world still hurts. 1050 miles of Deadwood, Sturgis, Devils Tower, Mount Rushmore and many backwoods bars.
A good time was had by all.

But I'm so sorry Mister Fink....We just can't make it to your house as we have family coming from Cali. and Friends from Portland and we are all booked up. Thanks for the invite as well as keeping Denver on the tiki map.

Mahalo......Mr. Dale

H
Helz posted on Fri, Aug 3, 2007 3:36 PM

Definitely getting geared up for this one!!!

I know I've been remiss in posting pics from our last great adventure, but I will get on that shortly (Also, not to get hopes up, I only got like 2-3 decent ones, time to let Rita take the pictures!)

So, Fink, what can we bring?

TF

Helz:

We will have snacks, cocktails and popcorn. Anything you can think of that would be good for movie fun. I was also going to ask you if you would be willing to do a stint behind the bar.

I will have that dialed in so it is as easy as possible.

T.F.

H
Helz posted on Sat, Aug 4, 2007 4:55 PM

Would be my pleasure, Mr. Fink.

Can't wait to see you guys!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 698 replies