Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

The Lurid low-brow Tiki-Art of Brad (tiki-shark) Parker

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4,327 replies

I just noticed the wood grain of the floor was actually tikis, and the skull/hands coming out of the green BUBBLES! Wow! You know how to be patient and leave nothing untouched by a clever idea painted in talented strokes. You the man!

Him am the man.

true dat!

T

Earl did a tremendous job on the 2nd wood cut. (That Parker guy did okay, too.)

A thought: what if you hand-tinted just the eyes of the mystery woman, either red or green, I'm wondering.

I suggest this because the ink and paper used for the wood cut do not have the sharp contrast of your original pen-and-ink. In that, the eyes popped on their own.

Aloha~
SneakytikiNo, no, YOU'RE the man!
Robb ~ No, really, YOU'RE the man!
LLT
Dat's so nice. And .... you are the MAN.
Tikifool~ Cool Idea. I'll think about it when the prints arrive.

Mahalo~

K
Kahu posted on Sun, Jun 1, 2008 4:12 PM

Is it done TS???

Or are you just teasing again?

Can I pre-order right now? LOL

I really want my first tiki shark print to be this one, I may have to take a third job to frame it the way it deserves but it will be soooooooo worth it!

[ Edited by: Kahu 2008-06-01 16:13 ]

aloha tiki shark what a master piece keep up the good work my friend

Aloha TC~
Kahu~ Well, with all respect to sneakytiki, it very well may be finished. I'll live with it a while on my studio wall, and see if it needs anything else as sneaky suggested.
Marcus- Thanks so much!
I'm in the middle of a week long business seminar with Body Glove right now, so I have not been able to get to TC and post, opr do any Tiki art. Good news is they held this seminar a block from my house at the ( way tiki-fied) Royal Kona hotel, with a hosted bar opening night! Yeah, I think Body Glove is a fun company to work with (we make their beach towels) - and one of the owners is into tiki. He's got a place in AZ on the river where thy do a lot of wake boarding for the pro team they sponsor. The place is totally tiki-fied, and is called "The Tiki Hut".

ER,,, okay I wasn't paying attention. Billy calls it "The Tiki Shack". Obviously!

This is off their web site.

Yesterday was fun, even though ti was raining here, we ran around with the Body glove folks looking for cool Tiki swag to continue decorating the Tiki Shack. I kept suggesting nice cool stuff, like a complete redo by Bamboo Ben. But Billy said I had to remember that a bunch of surfers and wake boarders usually hang there, and anything too nice always ends up broken or ruined.

Soooooo, we hit Walmart, K mart and Hilo Hatties.

Tiki Shark

http://www.tikishark.com
http://www.myspace.com/Lotus_Land

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2008-06-06 17:59 ]

Aloha~

Got the second wood cut in!
Gonna be signing and numbering it this week end.

Mahalo~

Aloha from the rainy Big Island. We had a HUGE storm the other night. Lightning strikes off the coast, some so close you could hear the voltage sizzle in the air over head. Window rattling thunder. We watched it from the Lanai. We usually don't get storms like that. That's more a Florida thing I think. Seemed like the tiki gods were out walking about.
Was sunny this morning, but now the clouds and vog are creeping back down the mountain.

Last touch on the stars.

It's done.
"The Proprietor"

Next....
Thanks for watching.
~have a great weekend.

Incredible stuff, always!

YAY!
It's finished...
and PERFECT!
See you've already kept the rhythm flowing with " the Proprietor"!
Right on!
And the 2nd print looks SHAZAYAM!
Keep up the high caliber of work,buddy
and stay out of dem lightning Storms!

That's a simply beautiful piece Brad. You could cut that into multiple pieces and STILL have multiple masterpieces there. Don't dare do that though! :)

RH

The piece is excellent. I have to say I really got into your description of the storm. I'm a mood fanatic, and I could feel the charge in the air, and the presence of the storm.

Aloha~
Tiki Duddy~ Big Thanks!
LLT~ Yay is right! That took forever. I figured I'd best be like Ken and move as fast as I can into the next one.
Sam~ Thanks so much.
RobThanks, it rained again last night. So I stayed up, put on some Martin Denny and painted. Talk about mood!

Mahalo

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Jun 8, 2008 2:26 PM

Going back to the roots - mystic tiki old school styles! Nice! Congrats on finally nailing "The Zombie"! I hope you're gonna take him to Oasis?

K
Kahu posted on Sun, Jun 8, 2008 2:42 PM

On 2008-06-07 12:26, Tiki Shark Art wrote:

It's done.
"The Proprietor"

It actually felt weird to read that it was done. Brad, please let me know when the prints come available, mahalo. Now, I will go back to staring at it again.

MR

Good stuff. The shirt turned out cool. Another fantastic piece. It did seem weird to hear it was done.
Cheers.

T

Fab job - abd a real journey to get there too.

Thanks for sharing ALL the stages, specially the tweaks and reworks. It's great to understand how it all came together.

The noir print looks fab - ordered mine today.

Aloha!
Kahu~ Yes, Weird is a good word to describe this one! Prints. Give me a week or so to get caught up on some stuff in the office, and I'll be contacting my printer up north about just that.
Now, the mystery of the tiki aloha shirt will be revealed. All you have to do is this....you must stare closer....closer... CLOSER... wait, not that close.
Matt Reese ~ Thanks! It's weird fer sure. Maybe the weirdest tiki painting I've done.
Tikiracer~Thanks Tikiracer! I'm getting the next batch of mailing ready in a few days, your print will be in it.

I got the print run signed and numbered last week end. 183, in all. It looks really cool next to print number 1. I'm excited to get a "series" feeling going.

Here's last night's paint splatterings...

Mahalo!

K
Kahu posted on Tue, Jun 10, 2008 8:17 PM

I'm excited to get a "series" feeling going.

I am sure I am not alone in saying this, so are we!

That noir wood block print is really something else, Brad. What a great medium to work with.... It turned out great!

KahuThanks very much. Yes, I am rethinking in adding color to any of the wood cut prints right now. I don't want to disrupt the look of the first series. I may introduce color after the first "Tiki Noir" series is done.
SAM
Thanks! Oh I see that some lucky art patron is going to get to buy the SWAMI painting at the Hookie Dookie. Bet is gets snatched up fast! Sam, but, if you don't hurry up and do a Zombie Village related image, I might do one in the Tiki Noir wood cuts....

Last night~

Oh, and HAPPY KING KAMEHAMEHA DAY everyone!
Aloha~

Aloha~

Just roughing in the blue shade. Working dark to light, so here's the dark base.

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Jun 12, 2008 3:07 PM

Wow, you're cracking along with this one. How about some bigger pics?
Zombie Village! Zombie Village! ZOMBIE VILLAGE!

Sharky,

this one is developing nicely! I dig the textured/organic look of the sky you are doing. Looks like you are taking your next level sh*& to yet another level. It's gonna be another cool ride watching this one unfold!

Sniz

B

another one going right outa the park...i am sweating just looking at the killer volcano background!

love the lava tube sacrifice pit too!

Hey Brad- You have such a knack for great colors and lighting effects! This piece is beautiful like all of the others.

Just got 'Midnight Tiki' in the mail.

The pictures do no justice to the actual print. Simply awesome!!

Aloha~
Paipo~ Thanks, yes I got Zombie Village on my mind. It may take a while to simmer into something and make it down to my hands and out onto a canvas...
SneakytikiThank you, I'm trying a more energetic feel to this one. I wanted to see some roughness to parts.
BigToe
Thanks, Yeah, I kinda had the VOG (volcanic fog we get here in Kona) in mind when I did the background. I... er, that's going to be a pool of water in front. guess it needs more work. Well, it anit done yet.... but the idea of a lava tube is a really neat one.
Sam Gambino~ Mahalo, I'm a nut about lighting souses. And I can never get enough of an under lit Tiki.
blindy the pirate ~ Thanks so much! I agree. A wood cut print is something really special when you hold one. It's got an unusual texture, you can smell the printing ink... I just love it. Oops, guess it's not good form to go on and on about one's own art, is it? Sorry. I jut meant that wood cuts are cool. And Thanks again Blindy.

Here's the latest. Have not touched the "water" again yet.... but that's coming.
Malaho~

Aloha from the Big Island~

Here's what I did last night. Still haven't got to the water yet, or the mystic flame, or finished the background. But I did sneak out to a matinee of Kung Fu Panda. Sweet.
Okay... water reflections... Maybe tonight...

Mahalo!

K
Kahu posted on Sun, Jun 22, 2008 6:25 AM

I bow to you o' master of the tiki art, and say, I am not worthy.

LOL great stuff TS! As always. :D

This new one's shaping up! The battle between the hots and the cools just creates this magnificent tension and drama!
really like the looseness goin on in the background..between these recent paintings and the prints..
you deserve a Tiki Artist of the year award!
So glad that time to paint and create is opening up for you!
:)

Aloha TC,
KAHU~ "Mahalo plenty!" (as they say around here)
LLT~"magnificent tension and drama!" - wow, I like that. Thanks! I owe it all to our "mutual inspiration pact!"*

*Note, said "inspiration" not being derived from Silver age tiki revival sourses alone, but drawing from Golden age and Original tiki sourses as much as possible, as dictated in "Proper Tiki Art Guide Lines" by GROG.

Funny, I know I painted on this thing for 1 and 1/2 hours last night, but can't really tell I did anything from this shot. I laid in some near transparent layers of red onto the warm lighted areas of the tiki. Smoothing it out, creating a more graduated change in tones. Easier to see in the actual piece. Hmmmm, still gotta' get to that water.
Let's see if I can actually make it look different today.

Mahalo~

Aloha...
Tiki racer told me Hanford is working on TC. I won't post some the pics from Sunday till it seems stable.
Later Gater!

Aloha~

roughed in the pool. Needs to be smoooothed out some more.

Mahalo~

K
Kahu posted on Mon, Jun 23, 2008 9:35 PM

Dude! You are killing me! :wink: In a good way of course. Wow Brad, that piece is looking nice.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jun 23, 2008 10:01 PM

Hate you.

KahuThanks, I'll take that as a big 'ol compliment.
GROG
Wha? You don't like the new "Poly Trop" direction of my work?

Smoothed out the water a little. Made the back ground lights a tad brighter.

Might be done? Maybe more work on the water? More red in the reflected sky? I gotta start the next one soon, as it's got a dead line on it. So I might just hang this one up and live with it a while.

Aloha~

Looks Great to me. Everything is expertly done. Very Very Very cool!

Wow, man. the colors are so vivid and effective!
always a treat to see this stuff!

I'm beginning to hate you too,Brad...
There's something about this one that
indicates a "jump"
a stylistic leap in talent
that sometimes just "pops" into place!
This one is givin me the real good Heebie-Jeebies!
and the background has the perfect atmosphere....
wow!
Also, got my Midnight Tiki print in the mail
In-freakin-credible....
embossing...:)

Aloha!
A Voggy Sunday morning here on the volcanic Big Island.
Jeremysart004~ Thank you very very very much!
Tiki Duddy~ Thanks, I went for only two basic colors. A hot environment with a cool under light. I read where usually it's opposite. A cool blue light from the blue sky, and a warm reflected light from the (usually) brown ground. I think I was considering the hot red Vog spewing out of the volcano when I did this one.
little lost tiki~ Good! You've been pissing me off for months! You and your unending fire hose of super creative ultra dynamic cranked out zipfizzed fueled tiki art! Dude slow down, you're making me look like that turtle in King Fu Panda! No, no, go art bunny go! Your 100 pieces to my one is just fine. We all have our own pace. (But I did just buy a case of red bull and zip fizz.)

This is the next piece in the "Tiki Noir" series.
The pencil for wood cut number four.
No title yet.

Now, I did not put an OWL in this tiki illustration just for Bigbrotiki's eye brow raised consideration.
...Or did I?

Mahalo form the voggy

Wow, the next wood cut looks amazing. Here is a picture of Tiki Midnight with a frame I made today. The matting did not turn out the way I wanted so I think I will have to make a new one. The wood cut print is simply stunning in person.

The new noir pencil is great, real narrative coming along. Love the girl's pose.

Your new painting is fab, the soft lighting has a great touch to it.

Thanks again for sharing all the wip pics.

K
Kahu posted on Mon, Jun 30, 2008 6:04 AM

TS! The painting looks sweet man! I love the warm colors of the background.

The new woodcut looks to be amazing!

But, something about the "cig" in his mouth, for some reason to my eyes, looks off or maybe just out of place? Sorry if it sounds like I am being a nit-picker.

I do love the owl! That should be something sweet in the final print!

On 2008-06-30 06:04, Kahu wrote:
But, something about the "cig" in his mouth, for some reason to my eyes, looks off or maybe just out of place? Sorry if it sounds like I am being a nit-picker.

I know what you mean.

I'm not a smoker and in the uk we have a ban on smoking in offices, pubs and bars, so it's something you don't see so much these days. But this is noir and it fits the genre.

Not sure if I really made my mind up there...

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jun 30, 2008 9:15 AM

Why don't you title it "SPIRITS"?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4327 replies