Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

The Lurid low-brow Tiki-Art of Brad (tiki-shark) Parker

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4,327 replies

K
Kahu posted on Mon, Jun 30, 2008 9:17 AM

On 2008-06-30 09:05, tikiracer wrote:

On 2008-06-30 06:04, Kahu wrote:
But, something about the "cig" in his mouth, for some reason to my eyes, looks off or maybe just out of place? Sorry if it sounds like I am being a nit-picker.

I know what you mean.

I'm not a smoker and in the uk we have a ban on smoking in offices, pubs and bars, so it's something you don't see so much these days. But this is noir and it fits the genre.

Not sure if I really made my mind up there...

It is not the smoking thing, or, even the idea of, does it fit with the noir thing.

For some reason, it just looks, odd. I wish I could explain better. I put my finger to the screen to cover the cig, and it looked better. I think it is just that for some reason that it looks out of place within the scene.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jun 30, 2008 9:22 AM

GROG know what you mean. The cigarette changes the emotion of the guy. GROG like it better without the cigarette, too.

T

Would it help to know that it's just a candy cigarette?

goneannas~ Very cool! From that wall it's hanging on, looks like the prints up in a tiki bar. Ah, THAT really makes my day!
Tikiracer~ Thanks! I re-drew the girl about ten times...
Kahu~ Glad u dig the owl. We got owls here on the Big Island. A Hawaiian lady I know told me the Owl was her family's aumakua. She said sometimes Owls show up and protect her and her family - but they are usually spirits in owl form.

Okay, so here's my weird Hawaiian owl story: Once, over on the wet side of the island, me and a couple friends were driving home late after a party we went to in the jungle near the small town of Puna. As we bounced down this dark country road. (the "red road" for those of you who know the BI) we were laughing and making jokes about Madame Pele. Suddenly, this GIANT freaking owl swoops down the middle of the rain slicked road - caught in the head lights - coming right at us. It got so close to the wind shield, I remember seeing it's out stretched claws above the hood. Really, it seemed it's wing span was about the width of the road. Yes, the red road in that area is sort of a one lane road, but, no owl is that big. No normal owl.

So.... we all screamed. My friend nearly drove off the road trying to avoid hitting the thing. He slows the truck way down, and we look out the windows, but it's gone. We looked at each other and agreed, "Okay, no more Pele jokes."

Tiki Racer ~ Okay, so, like... no cig? Yeah, we have a no smoking law here too. Which, by the way, makes no sense as we are living on a SMOKING Volcano! We breath VOG all day, but, we're not allowed to smoke? What the? Anyways, the cigarette is there as a Noir element. But, I'll think about if it really needs to be there.....
GROG~ Or I could call it SIR SPITS, but that would be giving it away.
KAHU~ Maybe I need to redraw it in a better position?
TEAKEY~ Who loves ya' baby!

I had a feeling this "cigarette thing" would come up. So I drew a back up.

RH

I love the woodcut series, and the owl story! There's some wild and different stuff going on in the owl woodcut - I can't wait to see it completed.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jul 1, 2008 9:42 AM

Howabout "Spirited Away"?

Brad-good call on the carrot!
:lol:

Aloha~
Rob ~ Thanks, there's lots going on in this one. The big challenge is to somehow ink it in a fashion that creates a focus, and not just a big mish-mass of black and white lines... How I ink, is I put in all the detail I can, then start inking over stuff that's distracting. I know, that's crazy, but that's what I do. I've already inked over some clouds and stars.
GROG ~ Hmm, nice. But, I might go with Jungle Witch or VooDoo Dreams. (I think using exotica song titles ties the images back into the Tiki Culture. And I'm too lazy to think up good ones on my own.)
LLT ~ Thought you'd dig that.

Much more complicated than the first two. I have to be aware of positive and negative space to make this work.

Mahalo~

B
BigToe posted on Tue, Jul 1, 2008 1:32 PM

Looks KILLER so far, Brad!

even more after hearing the pele-owl story!

that story is great and totally gives me chills!

oh and if ur taking out the cig, i vote for one-a those swisher sweets with the little plastic tip.

B
BigToe posted on Tue, Jul 1, 2008 1:38 PM

dang...just got a gander at the last one...and i have to agree with ol' LLT.

That amazing painting combines your trademark attention to detail with a delicious looseness in the background atmosphere that conveys a ton of great vibe...there-by conjuring a monster-sized green-eyed monster in the bellies of your peers.

You have clearly sold your soul to some nefarious island GOD in exchange for this quantum jump in skillz!

Aloha~
Thank you, for the very kind words.

I think it's finished.
Mahalo~

J

Beautimous!

SHA-ZAYAM!
You nailed it Brad!
And in Record time!
This one looks simple on the surface...
but there's a lot going on!
Keep it up!
You're on a MAJOR ROLL!

Aloha
Jentiki~ Thank you so much.
LLT~ Big Mahalo, glad you like it, I know I've been enjoying your work sooooo much.

"Tiki of the Blue Pool"
12" x 30"
acrylic on canvas

Being the obsessive artist I am, I got a slightly better shot, and had to post it. And decided on the title.
Have a GREAT 4th fellow tiki tribe!

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Jul 3, 2008 5:00 PM

I love the slightly hazy, VOGgy feel of the background too. A nice simple composition with plenty of mood. Rock on Brad! When are you gonna treat us to a Tiki Shark VELVET, hmm?

T
Tabu posted on Fri, Jul 4, 2008 6:54 PM

Just got "Midnight Tiki" in the post today. It's really nice in the flesh. I will be frame shopping tomorrow. I like the mystical element to the new one too. Personally I like the cigarette. I don't smoke em' though. But that guy looks like he would. Cheers.

GROG~ Oh, "Spirited Away". Like he's sneaking off with the tiki. And she's all in a trance in another world. I get it. Now I get it. Yeah that is a good title. Lemme think about it.
Paipo~ Yes, a god in the vog. I almost called it that, but went with my original focus. The mystic blue flame. There's local legends about roaming fire balls here on the BI, and I wanted it to be a little bit about that.
But, speaking of VOG, actually, I just came back from the barber. Barber's a great place for local news in a small town like Kona. He said his business was about 20 - 30 % down. Folks are leaving town. The heavy VOG is scaring people off from living here.
That, plus tourism is off. There used to be a cruise ship in the bay at least 3 times a week, sometimes more. At times there'd be two (or even three) ships in the bay at once. And the sea-side area of town would be crawling with tourists. Loud shirts, Bermuda shorts. Sunburns. And fat wallets. Now, we get one ship a week. I don't think that's because of the vog - I think that's cause of the high fuel prices. A cruise around the Hawaiian islands is getting expensive I guess.
But heck, Things will bounce back. Always do.
And, the volcano can't spew VOG forever. Pele will simmer down. Sometime. I hope.
Tabu~ So glad u dig the print! Warms my heart to know you're shopping for a cool frame! U like the weird mystical twist, great! You'll dig this one too! So, now I gotta put the cigarette back? I just drew it out last night! Hmmmm.... Take a look, lemme know what you think.

almost all inked... I keep thinking of that song by Les Baxter "Go Chango" as the sound track to this one.

Here is a close up of the Tiki Hut in the VOG, from "Tiki of the Blue Pool" as requested by Jentiki.

Aloha from the Big Island!

J

Thanks for the close-up! I like the looseness of this one very much.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jul 5, 2008 5:19 PM

....and the alcohol is gone as evidenced by the bottle on the ground. (the spirits are away). And, he LOST his AMERCAN SPIRIT cigarette. :) (GROG like it better without the cigarette.)

GROG agree with Jentiki.
That GROG favorite part of the new painting, too. And, GROG like the looseness of it as well.

[ Edited by: GROG 2008-07-05 17:22 ]

K
Kahu posted on Sat, Jul 5, 2008 6:01 PM

Looks great TS!

And, sorry for stirring up such a issue with the cig, though, I have to admit, it does look better to me without it.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jul 6, 2008 11:14 AM

So, she is dying, as shown by the last drops leaving the bottle. The owl is coming to take her spirit away to heaven, but the man has taken it. Is he the devil in disguise, or is he her lover trying to save save her life and protect her spirit so that it can't be taken away? Deep stuff you're drawing here.

(Hate you.)

What happened to the carrot? :lol:

closeup of the hut and the reflection-rad!
nailed the VOG!
Inking is making the new proto-print pop sooooo nicely!
Go Brad Go!

K
Kahu posted on Sun, Jul 6, 2008 2:29 PM

On 2008-07-06 11:14, GROG wrote:
So, she is dying, as shown by the last drops leaving the bottle. The owl is coming to take her spirit away to heaven, but the man has taken it. Is he the devil in disguise, or is he her lover trying to save her life and protect her spirit so that it can't be taken away? Deep stuff you're drawing here.

(Hate you.)

GROG funny.

Though, I do like your thoughts about the back story.

T
Tabu posted on Sun, Jul 6, 2008 5:03 PM

It's strange but the guys intent really seems to change without the cigarette. Before he seemed more carefree like a thief but now he seems to be on a mission. Not sure if he's a good guy or a goon. Looking great inked.
Love the way the background on the new painting is so hazy. It adds allot of mood to the piece.

Aloha~
The vog blew away today! Glorious blue skies!
Thanks tiki tribe for the deep thoughts on this piece. Is she dying, or summoning her spirit servant? Or having a rum soaked vision? I'm reluctant to mention too much, as the image seems to be weaving a spell all it's own... and I'm not sure I could add anything more profound and mysterious than what GROG came up with. It's strange how the character's intent seems to alter with the removal of the smoke.
Earl liked that the guy (or goon?) gets center stage in this one.

I think it's finished... I'll give it a day or so and look at it again.

Mahalo for the intriguing interpretations!

Wow!
Another solid graphic GORGEOUS piece!
that tiki needs to be carved!
you're too good for this world.....
What does the "R-P-I-S-T-I-S" mean?
Is it an anagram?
Does it have something to do with the empty bottle of Robitussin DM at her feet?
And is that an owl....or the Mothman?
Stay safe my friend! Heard the volcano's been waking up a bit!

Mental good - the overall darker vibe makes the tiki just pop. Fab for just one color and will appear even better once wood cut and printed.

What's next????

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jul 14, 2008 9:08 AM

Turned out AWESOME! (Damn you.)

K
Kahu posted on Tue, Jul 15, 2008 9:38 AM

WOW Brad!

I think this is your best so far of the woodies!

Just stunning!

tikiracer ~ Thanks. I may hand tint some, see how they look when they print. Earl thinks they'll be best in b & W. What's next? Well, what came next was me getting total art block on my next painting. I'm still working through it. Got some books from the library and soaking up inspiration.
GROG - Mahalo~ and thanks for the Title Idea, I'm gonna use it. "Spirited Away".
KAHU ~ I think it's my most developed. I pushed harder to make it complex. Perhaps it's too complicated, and lacks the clear strenght of #3. But They all go to tell one long story, So I'm okay that they are different.

What else is going on? Well.....
You know I design beach towels for a day job. And, I'm always trying to get a TIKI into a towel design.
Well, I proved that the image sells with last year's Body Glove Tiki Towel. This year, we opened up a new lines of "Printed Towels" with Body Glove, and I got six designs to the finished stage. And THREE of them( I am glad to say) have tikis in them!
They will be part if our "Body Glove" line. The Body Glove folks are the BEST at getting to embrace the tiki idea. They're great beachy surfer kinds of folks who enjoy a good mai tai. And the owner has a vacation house named the Tiki Shack.
Here's the sneak peak at the towels finished art...

"Gothic Tropic Tiki"
30" x 60" printed towel.

Swirl Pool
30" x 60" printed towel

Lady of the Lava
30" x 60" printed towel

They are not done, but right now, prototype samples are being made. So, many things could still go wrong. I'll let you know how they develop.
Mahalo~

J

Wow! That is so cool! It'll be great to be able to take a piece of Parker art to the beach or poolside! Congrats!

Beyond state-of-the-art as always Brad. Real knock 'em dead stuff.

Thanks Jen, let's hope they make it all the way to production... with out mishaps!
Thanks Robb ~ I heard that very impressive mention of you in the latest "Quiet Village" pod cast. Nice. You're a big time swanky tiki artist now! Sorry I wasn't there to gawk at the beautiful original. Can't wait to hear your up coming interview.

So, it is done. "Spirited Away"
(thanks GROG)

So, as I was laying on one last coat of ink to give it a really nice black black blackness, I pulled the brush too quickly out of the ink bottle. The bottle, which was sitting directly to the left of the illustration, tipped. For a split second, I thought it was going to go over and dump it's contents across the drawing. URK! I spasticly jerked the brush back and righted the bottle. Then, I pull the brush out, and it hits the board. Nice.

Close one!

Anyways, could have been worse...LOTS worse.

Now it's been sold, so the next time you see this it will be as a wood cut print.

Mahalo~

K
Kahu posted on Tue, Jul 22, 2008 4:57 AM

I think someone was watching over it! wink wink

i think your work is the essence of modern tiki art "just awesome"

So I duck out for a few weeks and get all kinds of stuff done.

I'm impressed.

I love them all. Nice work dude.

Aloha Tiki Tribe~
Kahu~ Could be.
kroozzn62~ Wow, Thanks! I may have to quote you on that. (... I may make tee shirts that say that!) Big Mahalo! (I'm blushing)
Flat Black ~ I'm glad your diggin' the work! Mahalo~

WHATCHA MAKIN THERE BRAD?
i didn't realize you stood while at your easel...
What a Pro! :)
So...whatcha painting there?
are you gonna tease us like this the whole painting?

LLT~

Hey Dood! Love dem ink wave studies U r doing! So I hear u, me and squiddy R all gonna be in da same issue of Tiki Magazine. Very very very very nifty! What M eye workey on? Well, it's da painting dat will go in That issue. So, least the image gets to be old news, eye don't think I'll show it on any detail till after that issue is out. That ways, when da tiki tribe sees it in da mag, it'll be a nice freswh new pice of tiki art. but, sos no ones thinks I fell off da earth, I thought I'd post.

Aloha!

Thanks for the teaser Brad!
YAY!
tis an honor to be in the same upcoming issue with you and Squids and Hassan!
Can't wait to see what you've come up with for that!
One last question: When did you get the hearing aid?
I knew you were old,but not that old! :lol:

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jul 29, 2008 7:46 PM

Good to see you knocked off that painters block mate :D

That black and white eye zazz is looking super clean and mega sharp Braddah Shark. Always looking forward to the next set of progress shots.

K
Kahu posted on Tue, Jul 29, 2008 9:02 PM

On 2008-07-29 10:52, Tiki Shark Art wrote:

Not only does he tease us with these pics.

Then I have to look at his masterpiece hanging on the wall!

Which I still want as a print! LOL

Nice stuff Brad.

J

Congratulations on 100 pages, Brad! Yayyyy!!! :D

Aloha Tiki Tribe~
LLT ~ Eh? What's that? Speak up sonny! Old man's Parker's hearing aint what it used to be. Squid refereed to the up coming Issue of Tiki Mag that had you, me, and him in it as the "Three Stooges Special"! I'm stoked!
Hewey ~ Yeah, I was going through all these ideas, sketching stuff up. Nothing was working. Then, I was digging through some old sketches, and one of them clicked.
Chongolio ~ Hey Braddah Monkeyman! Howzit over on your island? Thanks for the kudos on the inks. I got an idea for #5. Should be posting some sketches in the next few days.
Kahu ~ Yeah, I know I'm way behind getting prints out. Like three paintings behind! I gotta get them up to the printers, fer scanning. First I oughta call and see if my printer is even on island. He goes on these photographic trips. He's wife's a photographer of sea life and such.
Jen ~ 100 pages? Yikes, that's a heck of a thread to go through! Is there a limit to these things? Should I start a new one and put this one out of it's misery?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4327 replies