Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

The Lurid low-brow Tiki-Art of Brad (tiki-shark) Parker

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4,327 replies

More cough syrup for hewey!:lol:
Is that Marquesan/shark/raft?tropical drink gem
gonna be a painting?
Hope soooooooo!
Lovin the juicy colors of the aloha kitty!
See you SOON! :)

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!
Hewey~ Cold medicine and tiki day dreams... niiice. Too bad you're at work. The sharks, are more than just sharks. In the dream there were sharks and all other kinds of big fish...with teeth. They were all going in one direction. Swimming towards an island? Swimming away from a storm? It's all foggy now. I think the dream was influenced by what I've been re-reading: "Kon Tiki".
LLC~ It sure could become a painting, I'm really digging it right now.

Did some details on the tiki.

Here's an over-view of the under-brush.
Mahalo~
B~

love the detail in the background tiki! awsome awsome work
and progress pics are killer, Brad!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
TDThanks thanks, nice to read such encouraging words first thing in the morning.

Here's da Cat. worked on the lei.
Mahalo

B~

Fresh stuff, my man.

Makes me wonder if you've got a larger project in the works????

Like taking over the world?
Or you mean larger, like a larger canvas? I got a few really cool and elaborate ideas for bigger canvas', but basicly I don't think I've got the painting chops to tackel them yet. But, I'll get to them, sooner or later. I hope.
B~

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

Working out lighting. Gotta design the mug soon. And the pattern for the shirt.
Mahalo

T

Your finest piece yet. And there is a good reason for that. Everything in this painting you are groovy at painting.

teaKey~ thanks. Really! Well, it is true about practice helping. It's not the first time I've tried painting a sunset and wave. Each one I try to step up to a better level. Yet, when I see it all is see is the mistakes right now!
and I was just pondering, I have no idea how I'm gonna paint the cat to look like he's actually furry. Never rendered fur before! Any hints?

I applied some washes to the pencil study of "Kon Tiki dream #1".
Still thinking it might turn into a swanky painting one day.
Aloha Tiki Tribe~
B~

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2009-03-19 20:29 ]

Mornin, B!
The lighting update on the Cat is a Huge difference! that right there makes the fur look outstanding!
i like the mug progress shots too- it helps to watch the creation of the lime through the different shades you use.
and the Dream Piece!! : very Very cool. just curious, but what kind of paper are you sketching that on that holds the wash like that?

seriously, lookin forward to seeing the next updates on these two!!

Kon-Tiki dream #1 just KICKS it with the wash and all...
Beautiful as is..
If it becomes a painting...great
if not-you've accomplished communicating it thru art
to all of us...A little peek inside your brain!
remind me to show you the Upside-down lion head dream sketch
when you visit the studio!
as for the cat fur... google cat and just look..
find the light source in the picture
and look at the fur and how it reacts...
reminds me of Da Vinci making plaster molds of fabric
to study how light plays on it ...
or just look at a cat in reals life
you got enough deeply-stored mental/art files
to observe and record it for later...
Great sunset and waves...practice always helps
like a re-aquaintance...
if you paint that thing,i envy you having to figger out light as if pierces the waves
and disperses here and there on the sharks,travelling downward,but losing it's intensity
as it submerges....What FUN that is gonna be!
A worthy challenge for a fellow who is ready for it!
TODD SCHORR!!!
:) :) :) :)

TD ~ Thanks!
LLT~ Big Mahalo! Only a week from TODD SCHORR!

Here's a sketch for the mug next to the cat.

ALOHA!~

Aloha~

Mahalo~

wicked mug design, Brad

Aloha Tiki Tribe~
TD~ Oh, so sorry you liked the design, cause I completely changed it. I dunno, it just wasn't doing it for me. I rifled through several old books, did a few more sketches, none of which sparked me with any real interest. Then, finally I found a great shot, of a great old design, with (praise the tiki gods!)

...the correct lighting!

Painted out the old design. New one going in tomorow... (if I can squeeze a few hours of "Tiki Art" time in, that is!)
Mahalo from the Big Island~
B~

Damn - even your mug sketch reeks of masterpieceness!

On 2009-03-24 06:01, Robb Hamel wrote:
Damn - even your mug sketch reeks of masterpieceness!

Robb Hamel says my art "reeks"!
If there's ever an article written about my art I want to use that as a quote. :)

Here's the mug roughed in.

Aloha~

T

Hey Brad!

I was looking at the first mug design thinking Wow! Brad should really do some tiki mugs! Then I saw the progress of the new version and I'm thinking WOW! BRAD SHOULD REALLY REALLY DO SOME TIKI MUGS!!!

So start slinging some clay, my friend!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

Tobunga, Thanks! Funny you should say that. I've finally started working with Holden at Tiki Farm on 3 designs! Yippee! Can't wait to see how my 2-D stuff translate into 3-D!

Just got back from the north side of the Island, where I get my giclee prints done. Here's a side by side shot of how the giclee of "Diga Diga Doo" looks next to the original. Perfect! I'm really happy with my art print guy. He always get's it exact! Really made my day to see the new prints.

Big Aloha from a very happy me!

Damn that is such an awesome print Brad. I need one to go along with the Woodcut print you sent me that I still ahven't gotten framed yet.

Aloha!

TiKiMaN77 ~ Well, yes, you should have a whole set that could sit around waiting to be framed!
However, may I suggest purchasing the original painting. If you look, I painted the sides of the canvas black. That way I have it hanging on the wall and it looks fine, no need for spending money on an expensive frame! (heh, an old starving artist trick don't ya' know!)

Some work on the mug... and thinking about how to paint fur... and that dead bird that's gonna go in ...

B~

Yes its so nice and the combination is fine...I think you can convert into modern art by adding some 3d effects. Try it and show us!!! People who are interested in Art Paintings and Drawings services can post their request on Mineeds.com and provider will post their bids on people's need.

Seattle Art Painting & Drawing | Oil Painting | Watercolor and More - Get Bids & Save | MiNeeds

Aloha!

Worked on some of the cat's fur last night. The VOG rolled in today, so the photo is a bit dark.
I'm off island for a few days. Gonna pay LLT and BigToe a visit!
Aloha for now.
B~

Another Tiki Shark Masterpiece! Beautiful, and coming from someone who's allergic to cats....

Thanks Sam!

I'm off island right now and in LA. (OMG does everyone drive 90 miles an hour here or what?!!) Last night I went to the opening night of Todd Schorr's art show "The World we live in" at the Merry Karnowsky Gallery in Hollywood. It was awesome meeting Todd. And he didn't seem to mind when I gave him a big "aloha" hug.

The show features four new paintings, plus sketches and color comps for those same pieces. And then, lots of beautiful giclcee prints from his past work. He said he did the four paintings in 6 months - most of the time went onto the big main piece "The Ape Allegory". I told him I guess I should paint faster, he said, "The trick is just to use bigger brushes!"

Google Todd Schorr or Merry Karnowsky to check out the show.

Well, I'm kicking around so cal for the next few days, seeing family and friends - I see Ken Ruzic later today!

Big aloha from Thousand Oaks!
B~

Tiki Shark

http://www.tikishark.com
http://www.myspace.com/Lotus_Land

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2009-03-29 12:23 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2009-03-29 12:25 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2009-03-29 12:27 ]

Thousand Oaks? I was born next door in Simi Valley and currently reside in Moorpark! Welcome to the VC!

Oh man, and here I am in the Valley, and the Shark is just north of me.

Enjoy the cool weather here while you can Brad. It ain't gonna last.....

Hey Brad!
Thanks for going to the Todd Schorr Show without us...
Love, Kinny and Big Toe!
:lol:

great seeing you yesterday,my friend! it's great just to chill with the Ohana away from all the noise and chaos...

Oasis!

Love that new painting Brad.
Any plans for doing prints of it down the road?

I second Doug!

Loooooooove that Tiki Cat, Brad!

You continue to amaze and delight!

Cheers! :drink: :tiki:

Aloha tiki Tribe,
LLT~ Sorry about seeing the show without u guys, but it was great seeing you at the Little Lost Tiki Hut!
Swampfire~ Thanks, if this cat comes out right I think prints will happen.
Kreepytiki~ Big mahalo, lets see if I can bring this puppy er..pussy home now and finish it up right.

Ok, I totally f-ed it up!
I'm still discovering how to paint fur,
and just what the heck the shape of this puss's face is.
And then, gotta finish the mug. And then... figure out what the gound is gonna be. And then... the aloha shirt. And then ...the pants.

Happy Aloha Friday from the steaming volcano.
B~

Tiki Shark

http://www.tikishark.com
http://www.myspace.com/Lotus_Land

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2009-04-03 10:08 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2009-04-03 10:09 ]

Aloha Tiki Tribe~
I finally received back here on da' island the remaining paintings that didn't sell on their last tour of the So Cal tiki art shows.
It was nice to see them make it back with no damage. However, I instantly brushed on another coat of varnish to each of them for extra protection.

Even better news, the neighbor's cat left a little present for me on my back lani this morning: a small dead bird. Perfect! I was looking for exactly that to add to the foreground of the Tiki Cat painting.
Photo shoot to ensue.

B~

Aloha Tiki Tribe~

I made a few color changes. The cat's aloha shirt to blue, the ground to a grey-ish purple. Added in some green into the turquoise of the tiki. Very subtle green highlights to the leaves of the cartoon palm trees. Started the base color for Tiki Cat's weird green eyes.

Hope to get more painting in today.
B~

T
teaKEY posted on Sun, Apr 5, 2009 2:15 PM

Is this goin to be a grey kitten. Thats the color of mine.

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Urgh... Monday. My head!... wha happened?
teaKey~ Glad you dig it. Yeah, this cat's sorta gray, but I think some blue's gonna creep back in before it's done. My most recent cat I was around was a Russian blue. (my partners cat)
Before that I had a black cat named "Bandersnatch". She was so beautiful... but she was evil. When someone new would come over, she sit in front of them, looking all fluffy. Even though I'd warn them not to, they'd reach over and pet her. Once. Twice. Then on the third time, she'd turn with a lightning claw bite combo. Evil cat. I could pet her all day long, just not anyone else. Anyways...

Did some work on his shirt - getting it shaped out before I put in an aloha pattern on it. Did some work on da pants. And then lots of other things still like.. eyes, mug, uke, ground...

Oh hey, check out http://cocktailnation.podomatic.com/
I'm a new sponsor. I'm going to figure out a way for free print give aways, or towels or something on Koop's podcast. I'm gonna talk to him later today and maybe see what we can do.

B~

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2009-04-06 12:34 ]

Aloha!

Mahalo!

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2009-04-07 10:40 ]

T

Love checkin in on this guy. Looking at the little differences and thinking would I have done that and the answer is no and that is why you keep getting better and why I will never be able to paint that good.

S

I have to say your work in incredible i really dig it.
I lurk at the other sections now and then, but have never
left a message tell now.

TeaKEY~ Big Mahalo, I needed to hear that today. Er... read that. Mahalo!
Seeksurf~ Thanks thanks. Please, lurk! Tiki Central is a great place to lurk! And hope you find your surf...

Sketch of how I wanna' lay out Tiki Cat's aloha shirt.

Aloha from the Big Island~
B~

T

Aloha Brad - you've done towels, got the be shirts next - right??

Tikiracer~ Thanks, aloha shirts sure does sound like it'd be fun to design. Who knows? Could happen?

And speaking of aloha shirts... here's how far I got on Tiki Cat's shirt last night.

Aloha from the active volcanic island!
B~

Pretty amazing detail and wonderful layer after layer after layer...

so rich.

STUNNING!
She's coming along perfectly,Brad!
Can't wait to see the dead bird...
Hope you put it in the freezer for when you're ready!
great print on Senor Don GAto,by the way!

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Apr 8, 2009 4:49 PM

Put me down for an early print of this one. My favorite of all your recent work. And the first thing I check out on TC each time. If you made a nice big shirt put me down for that too. Aloha Bye

Aloha tiki Tribe!
Little Lost Tiki~ Big Mahalo! That's nice to hear from an artistic master like you. I think my close study of all your color schemes is slowly paying off and I'm "getting it", a little more. Art by Osmosis!
Dead Bird is in a baggy in a drawer in my studio... Guess I should put it in the fridge next to that baggy of that other stuff I have in there. (wink wink)
teaKEY ~ OKAY! "Tiki Cat" will be a limited edition art print, like "Diga Diga Doo". Officially you have first dibbs on #1 of 113. Hows that?
Dunno about tee shirt yet, but could be.

I worked out more of how to paint fur so that it looks like fur. This is an on going lesson. Last night I added in other colors to the grey of his fur. Cool tones to the shadows and warm tones to the highlights. No whiskers yet... I'm Just about to tackle the mug for real.
Still wondering exactly what the paint the ground like. I've gone out and looked a the beach, and the ground near the beach. I don't know if I want to spend all the time it would take to render a million little pebbles. My goal is this painting should be done before months end.
The eyes are starting to get the weird cat/alien glow I'm seeking. It's going to be all about the reflective highlights I think.

Anyways, laters !
B~

Aloha Tiki Tribe from the rainy volcanic Big Island!
!
Like I said, it's raining. So, I can't take the painting out and get a nice bright shot in the early morning sunlight as it reflects off the condo - as a normally do. This one was taken in the studio, and the colors are all off a little. Tomorrow it'll be sunny I'm sure, ( I hope) and than I'll get a more "color-correct" shot.

Hypnotic Product.

I also discovered that those double seal lock baggies don't quite preserve or keep in the "freshness" smell of a dead bird as well as I think the T V commercials would have you believe.

Big Mahalo ... from the wet soggy volcano~
B!

Aloha!

Mahalo!

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2009-04-11 13:59 ]

Aloha back at ya, Brad! That painting's beautiful!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4327 replies