Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

The Lurid low-brow Tiki-Art of Brad (tiki-shark) Parker

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4,327 replies

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jan 12, 2010 2:24 PM

That is too cute for words!!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jan 12, 2010 2:26 PM

Dammit! GROG bump it off page. here ya go:

On 2010-01-12 13:57, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
Aloha!
So, I got another canvas that's 14" x 11". Why not make a companion piece for "the Were wolf of Waikiki"? Like maybe...

The Kreature from Kona?

GROG

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-01-12 14:26 ]

NOW THAT's WHAT I'm TALKIN ABOUT!!!

Great job on the Waikiki Woofman,Brad!
man! That was FAST!

Soooo glad you're tackling the Creature!
you are the MAN!!!!!
i want a Creature Doll Mommy!!!!!

T

Brilliant! Looking forward to seeing this one.

My mind is still reeling from the werewolf project, now your trying to make me INSANE!

GROG~ THANKS! He looked pretty funny all googel eyed. So, I gave him eye lids.
LLT~ thanks KEN! He does sort of look like a doll. I've been approaching these two pieces like they are the box covers for old Arurora Monster Models.
tobor64Big Mahalo, I'll try!!
Atomic Tiki Punk
Mahalo, yes... the WereWolf came out OK, so it'll be a challenge to make the Kreature just as nice. I put them togther and drew the horizion line across to match both. That way they can look nice as a set.

"Kreature from Kona"
...needs lots of work. doing my usual, taking it down to the dark tones and bringing it back up.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jan 13, 2010 11:42 AM

GROG like the google-eyed better. Had more of the original creature vibe to it.

T

Brad -

Just offering up my 2 cents: I agree with Grog on the eyes...

Funny - the creature now reminds me of one of my old high school gym teachers - ouch!

Do I see a new Tiki Farm Mug designed by Brad here?

Heya,Brad!- wicked Wolf. looks like he bites..
cool Kona creature too! just curious.. what's he sippin' on? what do those guys drink?

Aloha!
You are right. I went back to the more opened fish eyed look.
Better?

Kreature from Kona

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jan 15, 2010 11:16 AM

Better, but this one had less white showing--bigger pupils. Gave him more of that "Crazed-creature" vibe.
His eyes are bit "serious" right now, but it's better than with the eyelids half closed. (Although that worked too, becasue he had a bit of attitude that you wouldn't expect from "the creature".)

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jan 15, 2010 11:22 AM

"Crazed-creature" vibe. Break out your 3D glasses! (For some reason, GROG' 3D glasses reversed. GROG have to wear them backwards to get the 3D to work.)

GROG
Just because it's Witco doesn't mean its cool.

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-01-15 11:25 ]

T

APPLAUSE!!!

Love the eyes...the detail of the hand and feet webbing...the violet tones in the sky...the aura like quality around his head.

Beautiful Brad, absolutely beautiful. Another tikishark progress post that influences me to achieve higher standards in my own work. I wish you could be present at my art jam/chop at my home next Saturday afternoon.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jan 15, 2010 11:41 AM

He's pretty creepy in person.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Jan 15, 2010 9:44 PM

Awooooooooooooooooooooooooooh! Rockabilly-tiki wherewolf!

Thanks Grog, for some reason I just happen to have a pair of 3D glasses handy, I also had to turn them upside down to get 3D effect.

GROG~ Is that your toy collection? Damn! I hear you, brother, but I'm not sure I could go back to the totally "Cookie Monster" eyes.
TikiG ~ Big Mahalo. Yeah, I'm having a lot of fun with this. I'm going in with another shade of green/yellow for some highlights. I was reading where the first Creature from the Black Lagoon suit was actually not green but a gold color - it's not widely know because the move was Black and White.
Atomic Tiki Punk ~ I lost my pair of KISS 3-D glasses in the move. Must be in a box here... somewhere...
Hewey~ Yes, He's got a very Setzer Pompadour, and I DID think of you when I was painting his Rock-a-Billy looks. (Aren't ALL were wolfs into Rock-a-Billy?)
Of course, I was also thinking of this line of lyrics...

"I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's,
and his hair was perfect.
Aaoooooo!
Werewolfs of London!"
Werewolfs of London by Warren Zevon

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jan 16, 2010 2:17 AM

Not GROG' toys.They belong to Bob Burns (an ex-fx artist) who has a huge collection of fx props used in movies. Super neat stuff to see and he has some great stories.

P.S. The Gort Helmet is at the actual height that they guy in the suit stood when he was wearing the helmet. I'm 5'8".

GROG
Just because it's Witco doesn't mean its cool.

[ Edited by: grog 2010-01-16 11:14 ]

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jan 16, 2010 2:23 AM

Oh yeah..... and speking of werewolves, GROG also get a picture of the werewolf from An American Werewolf in London.

Grog's pictures showed a head piece of Gort from "The Day the Earth stood Still"
Brad,how about your next work of art you use Gort as the creature feature?

Yea, what does Gort do when he's not policing the galaxy.

Grog ~ Oh Bob Burns! Wow! He's the king of Halloween house-decorating! I read in his book some of the amazing things he'd do... wish I had been trick or treating in his neighborhood when I was a kid!
Atomic Tiki Punk ~ Good idea!

Here's the latest. Hope to start on the shirt today...
Aloha!~

Brad, I agree with Grog on the eyes. The googly eyes are hilarious and add a story
element to the image. It looks as if the creech was taking some time off from creeching
and heading back to his pad with a fresh drink when he got caught in a spotlight. His
expression reads, "Oh Crud, my cover is blown!"

Of course, it'll come out cool no matter which way you end up doing it,
but the googly eyed version is my favorite. :)

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jan 16, 2010 11:19 AM

HA HA HA! He's wearing a fish hook pendant, that's hilarious! Nice touch. He's looking awesome.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jan 16, 2010 11:21 AM

P.S. Damn you and your talent! Hate you.

The color is working great! Brad, coming togeather in a big way.

I want to see Gort giving a lady a light with that glowing red eye!

Great work Brad!

Got GORT!

Artosaurous ~ I'm hearing ya brother, and the first rough has a very funny thing going on. Still, I'm leaning towards to the slightly more serious look he has now. It's still funny...
Grog ~ the magic fish hook of the demi-god Maui! Yes, it's very prevalent around here on da island, so I thought, yeah the Kreature might be sporting one... and it's funny.
Atomic Tiki Punk ~ Klaatu barada nikto, bra! I love gort too. It's amazing how badly they screwed up the re-make of "The Day the Earth Stood Still"

Mostly his shirt's done.

Here's a closer look at his Aloha shirt. Some Tiki, some Lovecraft, some 1930's cartoons.

On to finishing the sea, and then the drink...
gotta get it done soon. Mr. Kennedy is waiting...

Aloha!
B~

...and speaking of H. P. Lovecraft, go check this out...

OOPS!

Atomic Tki Punk sez there's avirus on that link to dat so... here's a better one to that animated short film "The Other Gods" - based on a short story by H P Lovecraft

http://maddogmovies.com/theothergods/

http://www.myspace.com/Lotus_Land  
http://www.cocktailnation.net

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art  2010-01-18 15:11 ]

Carefull everyone, the Lovecraft link has a "Fake Antivirus" virus download, infection.
I do not recommend clicking on it, Sorry Brad, if you see the page and popup saying you system is infected, close right away & run AntiSpyware software!

Brad the Kreature is looking great, I dig me the Lovecraft influence, which is why I really liked "The Temptress"
Yea,they really F**ked up the Day the Earth stood still remake.
keep rocking, buddy!

Atomic Tiki Punk - Opps, sorry! Here's a better link (and a virus free one I hope) to this very interesting animated short film based on a H.P. Lovecraft story:

http://maddogmovies.com/theothergods/

Aloha!
B

The new link is safe, I checked it out.

Thanks Atomic Tiki Punk!

Here's "The Kreature From Kona" ...almost done.

worked on the mug and the fish hook...

Tiki Duddy said: "cool Kona creature too! just curious.. what's he sippin' on? what do those guys drink?"
I'm thinking it's something with rum. And, of course, he drinks like ...a FISH! :)
(sorry)

Aloha
Brad~

always one of my favorite monsters.....kick ass!

That is crazy good, Brad.
Just Great! can't wait to see what's next?

B

amazing as always brad! looooooove the back-light, texures and kooky mood!!!!

ur the MAN!

Atomic Tiki Punk ~ Big Mahalo!
Clysdalle ~ Thanks, one of my favorite's also. I was watching the legacy DVD, and they have audio commentary on all three Creature films. GROG had mentioned Bob Burns in a previous post. Bob is part of the audio commentary - funny funny, and often times first hand accounts. Good stuff.
Big Toe ~ Thanks Buddy! Here it is all done... (I think)

"The Kreature from Kona"
14" x 11"
acrylic on canvas

ALOHA!

Too Cool, Brad!

Thanks... I sent the jpegs of the last two pieces for "consideration" to get into an art show in LA. I'm too nervous and superstitious to blab about which show or which gallery I'll let the tiki tribe know if any thing comes from it.

Hey, if you go here:
http://www.artandcultureonmaui.com/

I think you can ask them if they have any mags left with "the Moon of Manakoora" still on the cover. This was officially 2009's issue. The issue of "Art and Culture on Maui" had 4 different covers - mine was only one of them. Folks have asked me for some copies, but I ran out. However, the folks on Maui might still have some. If I end up at Tiki Oasis, I'd be happy to autograph 'em. Anyways, on to the next project...

BIG ALOHA!
Brad

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jan 22, 2010 12:31 AM

Best Kreature from Kona painting ever!

GROG like.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jan 22, 2010 11:00 AM

Are you going to do an Alien painting? They don't have eyes that you can make real big.

KREATURE FROM KONA IS THE SHIZZNAZZ
GETTIN ALL UP INTO THE MASTERPIECE BIZZNAZZ!

excellent Brad!
most excellent!

more!

GROG ~ Wow! if that's more of Bob's house, I wanna move in! Alien? Hmmm... I got a lot others to go through before I get that modern. I actually drove half way round the island today - to get to the ONLY art store remotely near me - to purchase two more 14" x 11" canvases. I think I gotta do a tiki lounge version of Frankenstein and Dracula to make the set an even 4.

They are too fun together! I futzed around with the Kreature a bit more.., yes in da' eyes! finally varnished it. Time to go on to the next one!
Kenny~ SHIZZNAZZ ME BRAZAZZ...er an like dat. U DA MANAZZAZ! ??

ALOHA!

OK one last pass on it and now it's done.

a few slight last changes...

Mostly a hue change to his eyes.

Aloha!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jan 25, 2010 12:16 AM

Do you still have GROG' address so you can send it to GROG?

"Kreature from Kona" hits me in my soft spot! I've always been drawn to the Webbed Menace of the Black Lagoon. What a great piece, and I love the theme you have going with the Universal Monsters. Let's not forget to add Lon Chaney's Phantom of the Opera to your list of subject matter, could be srt of interesting, along with the Invisible Man.

GROG ~ I do have your address. I'm waiting to hear if it's ending up at a group show at La Luz de Jesus gallery first. But if it gets in, and Don't sell, it can certainly be yours for a price that we'll all be smiling about.
TikiMango Thanks! Next one is "Dracula Drinks... a mai tai" (or a more cleaver title as I figure on out.

Here's a rough so far.

So there's a rumor that when I painted the "Jungle Witch" in homage to the tune by that same name by Clouseaux, it was well received by the band.
So, now it seems they may want to respond in kind. All rum-pie in the sky stuff now, but I'll let you know where it goes.

Brad (Tiki Shark) Parker

http://www.tikishark.com
http://www.myspace.com/Lotus_Land
http://www.cocktailnation.net

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2010-01-26 12:29 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4327 replies