Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

The Lurid low-brow Tiki-Art of Brad (tiki-shark) Parker

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4,327 replies

zerostreet - The painting is at the printers now...prints soon!
little lost tiki - Thanks Ken! Yeah, that lightning helped break up the space and add some movement.
tyger jymmy - Big Mahalo! I'm going over to Maui n a week, and hope to see this hot rod in person.
tobunga - Thanks Eric! No no....U inspired me with your non stop tiki art energy!
HB TIKI - Thanks! Yeah, I'll be over on Maui on May 14 and 15th, to show off the new prints at Sargent's Fine Arts in Lahaina.
leleliz - Big Big Mahalo!
hiltiki - I'm blushing! Thanks!

Working on getting the "Monsters on Vacation" post cards ready for production!

Big Aloha!
B~

Brad (Tiki Shark) Parker

http://www.tikishark.com
http://www.myspace.com/Lotus_Land
http://www.cocktailnation.net
http://www.sargentsfineart.com/artist/parker.php

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2010-05-12 13:25 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2010-05-12 13:26 ]

Brad, they say the devil is in the details - if that's true this painting needs an EXORCISM!!!

The smoke from the rear wheels and I love the lava tsunami. How would you like to hang ten on that puppy!!?? :o

T

Hey B were can we order some of those monster prints?

MadDogMike - Thanks!
Tikigodz ~ Big Mahalo, check the Tiki Central Market Place under my thread there for the first of the "Monsters on Vacation" limited edition prints. Monster #1 is up for sale now!

Aloha!
Brad~

On 2010-05-07 16:35, tikigodz wrote:
Hey B were can we order some of those monster prints?

The Monsters on Vacation art prints are on sale now!
Check over in the Tiki Central Market Place under my thread there.

"The Were Wolf of Waikiki"
just went up today.
Big Mahalo!
Brad~

Brad are you planning on doing prints of these guys?

I really love them.

Y E S !
Prints of the "Monsters On Vacation" are available... right now!
Today's Terrifying Tropical tripping treat...

"The Kreature From Kona"

Stroll over to Tiki Central's "Market Place" and look under my listing titled:
"Brad"Tiki Shark" Parker Art - Kreature from Kona for SALE-pg 22"

Big Aloha!

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!
Getting ready to hop over to Maui for Friday night - "ART NIGHT in Lahina"!
I'll be strolling around Sargent's Fine Art Gallery, helping hand out free glasses of wine, trying to look like an "artist", watching the sun set into the pacific right across the street, listening to the live music coming outa "A Cheese Burger in Paradise" ( I know, music that's more Parrot-head not Stone-head, sigh), and talking up folks on vacation seeing if I can get 'em to take home some real hawaiian pop art!
See, I'm showing off my new art prints there.

"Monsters on Vacation"

"Faster Than Disaster" and "The Magician"

Should be a good time!

big Aloha!
Brad~

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

Want to get your creepy claws on the ultra swanky exotica versions of the classic monsters in Hawaii, but are low on
cadaverous coconuts?
No Worries my Zombie Glugging Fiend!
Here's a chance to grab the fearsome four on vacation all in one supernaturally swell priced print:

Check the Tiki Central Market Place for more details...

Mahalo~
Brad "beastly" Parker~

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE~
Okay, obsessive artist factoid #49:
When receiving a painting back from showing in a gallery way over on the other side of the world, and looking at it again after a few months.... I think I progressed in my poly-pulp visual language, that I was compelled to repaint parts of it:

Mister Mai Tai
Just going to finish up the straw. Then it's done. ... again.

mahalo
B~

That's the last straw,Brad!!!
:lol:

couldn't help meself on that one....

LLT - Absolutely!

Mister Mai Tai
24" x 18"
Acrylic on canvas

Shiny Happy Detail

ALOHA!
B~

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
painting # 30...

"Beyond the Reef" ...step 1.

On 2010-05-20 23:12, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
Aloha Tiki Tribe!
painting # 30...

"Beyond the Reef" ...step 1.

Can't wait!

i didn't even know that
putting the canvas
on the easel
WAS a step!
Hurry! Hurry!
a little over a month for this one!
Attack that canvas with the fury of
a Kava-amped Warrior!

CanNOT wait to see what is born of this!

step 2-the hardest part...
the concept!
:)

LLT ~ Yeah, everything is a big step for me. Let's see..
Remembering I'm supposed to be doing art... that's step #1.
Finding my butt with both hands...that's step #2.
Draining a bottle of "Thor's Rum Flavored Brush Cleaner" #3.
Stare at the blank canvas, go into a day dream about hot rods and stuff.... step #4
Then repeat.

Think I like #3, but 4's kinda nice.

Still wondering what should be more important, the treasure or the tiger shark?

Want colorful coral in the back ground and the fore ground. Lots of depth

and car toony fishes. I think I'll make the tiki a solid gold tiki idol.
Aloha!
Brad~

T

TikiShark needs more sharks :D I know this next painting will be great already

I think I like #5 better for overall layout, but it does need the fishys from the next one.

(remember I didn't get my way with 'Faster' ) :wink:

H

I love the last sketch, the fish with the mouth open, the large size of the treasure chest and the tiki on the side..

Still wondering what should be more important, the treasure or the tiger shark?

Don't know which should be more important, but I think it would be cool if the treasure chest in some way kinda mirrors the sharks open mouth.

Can't wait to see the process on this one. And thanks again for the compliments and encouraging words about painting over in my thread! I've been thinking about it all weekend!

On 2010-05-02 17:59, zerostreet wrote:
Excellent! Prints anytime soon? :)

Please check over in the Tiki Central Market..

Faster Than disaster

Ultra swank giclees on canvas AND beautiful giclee on paper (for those of us who are watching our coconuts)
(Hey, didn't take too long that time, huh? Maybe I'm getting better at this original art-into-print thing finally!)

ALOHA!
Brad

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE
Thanks everyone for the feed back. It'a all so important to hear at this stage.
teaKEY - More sharks.... this next piece is a commission, and the patron just 'suggested" there not be a shark in it. Which, is okay, cause I was having a hard time balancing out the tiki the treasure and the tiger shark all at once....the tiger shark is such a big idea it need more of a painting all it's own.
Badd Tiki - I think you're right...
hiltiki - thanks...that ones not bad...
zerostreet - oh....that's a very cool idea! Me like.

Me am taking short break from commission sketching and working on SECRET ART PROJECT and listening to Brian Setzer's new album (real loud)....

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

Secret Project done.

"Tales from the Tiki Lounge, issue #1"

In my on going obsession with the pulp culture of the myth of Hawaii from the 1950's, I created my last painting into a cover of a non existent comic book. (it's just the cover, there is no book. sorry.) Question is, what to do with it now? Was it just for me to see what it would look like? My ultimate tiki-fan pulp magazine? Or, do I make it into an "art print" and sell it ? If it becomes a print, do I print them at "comic book" size (10" x 7"), so the illusion of this being a collectible is intact? Or, do I enlarge it a little, say around 14" x 11", just so it's a more respectable sized print?

However, this whole exercise in obsession might be about recreating the illusion of an nonexistent piece of collectible pulp, so original size might be the way to go. What do you think?

Aloha!
Brad~

Mister mai tai Very kool Man .

Nice Brad! I like it alot! I don't know if you have seen the faux magazine cover Illustration I did. Similar in concept to your idea. You can find it over in the gallery section of the forum. I gave mine a wrinkled effect and was going to add staples on the side but decided not to at the last moment.

I think large and comic sized prints would be cool!

Comic Book Size Print, Brad! It needs to be on my wall, now!
Just fantasmorgoririffic work!

tyger jymmy ~ Thanks. Mister Mai Tai is going back to the printer tomorrow to get scanned in all over again now that I've repainted all that shiny ness on him.
zerostreet - Well, so much for me thinking I was the coolest kid with the coolest new idea. I like yours! How'd u age it? You print it out and muss it up, then re-photograph it and print it again? I was wondering how to make it look like it was on aged paper. I've been looking at the "Legends of America" vintage comic auction books as ref. I guess the whole "gorilla art piece" would be to make it really look aged, affix it over the cover of an old comic, and seal it up in a plastic slip case, and then secret it into a bin at the San Diego Comic Con. Then wander around their booth all day waiting to see if someone buys it.

Atomic Tiki Punk - I'm heading north tomorrow to see my printer and have him print out of few. Comic book sized: 10" x 7" and larger like 14" x ..er what ever the width would be.

Brad (Tiki Shark) Parker

[email protected]

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2010-05-26 01:47 ]

zerostreet - Well, so much for me thinking I was the coolest kid with the coolest new idea. I like yours! How'd u age it? You print it out and muss it up, then re-photograph it and print it again? I was wondering how to make it look like it was on aged paper. I've been looking at the "Legends of America" vintage comic auction books as ref. I guess the whole "gorilla art piece" would be to make it really look aged, affix it over the cover of an old comic, and seal it up in a plastic slip case, and then secret it into a bin at the San Diego Comic Con. Then wander around their booth all day waiting to see if someone buys it.

Hey Brad,

My piece was, with the exception of the initial pencil drawing, was all done in photoshop. I like to use my own pictures for textures, and for this piece I just wrinkled a piece of paper, tore it a bit, then scanned it in and overlayed it in photoshop. I desaturated the whole thing as well and did my best to make it appear a bit sunfaded too.

I think yours, being that it is modeled a bit after an EC comic, would look great with tarnished staples on the side and some wrinkles throughout, especially on the spine. Maybe even a bit missing on a corner.

I'm a big comic book lover too, so I really like what you did here!

The cover says 13¢

I'll take 100 please!

Great idea and vibe on that lil project!
Comic book size! Comic book size!

A small limited run on those
and then bigger versions w/o the cover type and stuff!

It looks totally authentic in that plastic cover!

Hey! I got a few distress layers and textures here at work
that might help with "aging the piece if'n you need them....

if that sounds like something you'd wanna play with
PM me pal!

Now quit dilly-dallying around
and get back to BEYOND THE REEF!

zerostreet - Thanks! you nailed it. EC comics! Thanks for the lesson. cool iodeads!
LLT ~ Dig it!

Wow its very nice you realy nailed the chrome effect that stuffs a bit on the hard side to paint but you got it . the rod painting is outta site realy kool alot goin on and just very rad . Love your work .

Aloha!
I have my printer printing out some of the "TAles from the Tiki Lounge" on his giclee machine.
This should look 100% better.
I also have some kool new filters to make it looked aged that I'm playing with (thank you Mr. Wizard aka LLT)
Thanks tigerjimmy!

Here is the sketch changed to fit the mood and feel we (the art patron and myself) are going for.

T

Maybe a printed matting that can have the extra artwork that extends would be Kick ass.

teaKEY - food for thought. I think all the fishes will fit on thwe canvas. Got some good start on the cavas last night I'll post pics later today. Yipee, feels VERY good to start the new one.

Oh, I just discovered the GALLERY area of Tiki Central. Took me forever. Well, I posted my stuff up, so now you can look through wit out all the step by steps.

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Starting getting something down on the canvas...

Roughed out tiki and shipwreck and treasure chest...

a little more...

More to come...
B~

wooooo I think I'm gonna love this one!!

Tiki Baï - Thanks! This is a fun mix of many things... - sort of a cross of a few pulp-cultures: of "Tiki culture", and the "Disney Pirates of the Caribbean ride", and the ever popular "underwater-Wyland/Lassen-tourist-kitsch-art" that has reigned as king of the art galleries in tourist destinations like Florida, California and Hawaii since the 1980's.

Speaking of pulp...

"Tales from the Tiki Lounge - issue #1"
Textured, and aged ( many thanks to help in that department from LLT!) to nice vintage patina.
Could be ready to be made into an art print now.
What do ya' think?

Aloha,
B~

Bitch'in Daddy-O

"Tales from the Tiki Lounge - issue #1"
Textured, and aged ( many thanks to help in that department from LLT!) to nice vintage patina.
Could be ready to be made into an art print now.
What do ya' think?

Aloha,
B~

Love it!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Atomic Tiki Punk - I dig ya! Thanks! I picture in my mind what comic book would Brian Setzer read between sets?
zerostreet - so I'll take that as one vote for art prints of "Tales #1" as same size( 10"x 7") and vintage.

Here's what I did late Friday Night. I really wanted to get every inch of canvas covered. I often work from dark to light, so "Paint it all black" is the first step. This time, I'm going for more blue hues. I want this piece to be a shade lighter than "The Sunken Tiki" painting.

Big Aloha,
Brad~

Brad (Tiki Shark) Parker

[email protected]

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2010-05-29 17:54 ]

zerostreet - so I'll take that as one vote for art prints of "Tales #1" as same size( 10"x 7") and vintage.

I would say so! That size would be a nice compliment to the larger print.

And as to the new painting...I love the feel of it already...is that a hint of skull I see on the sunken ship?

My tiki art:
Tiki Tower
http://www.tikitower.com

...and my other art:
Zerostreet Illustrations
http://www.zerostreet.com

[ Edited by: zerostreet 2010-05-29 18:20 ]

On 2010-05-28 18:22, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Bitch'in Daddy-O

Swank prints of "Tales from the Tki Lounge" issue #1 "Faster Than Disaster" are now on sale. Check out the Tiki Central Market Place.
Aloha!
B~

G
GROG posted on Sun, May 30, 2010 12:25 PM

Ooooo! GROG liking your palette for this one already. Nice.

Dude your Shark is so Electrifiying Fliippin Bossanova .

This is looking awesome Brad! I love the giant Nautilus lurking in the wreck...

Those filters turned out great,Brad!
We weather and distress and beat-up
tee designs day-in and day-out....
Totally looks authentic!
Now all you gotta do
is make the comic to fill that cover!

I'm with GROUT
the palette on this one is
gonna have a great mysterious air about it!
Master of moods you are!

Hustle!

GROG - Thanks. color is tricky, but I'm being careful and looking at ref from many cool underwater scenes.
LLT - Big Mahalo to you Kenny for all your help. The vintage process would have been a lot harder to create with out your invaluable help!
tyger jymmy - Big Mahalo Dude!
hodadhank ~ Yeah, he's what I'd always want in my ultimate aquarium... which is sort of what this painting is.

Here's some more work on the back ground

It's raining out side, so I had to photo the painting inside, throws the colors off. But you can see the more of the work that was done on the sea in the far distance.

more to come...
B~

Aloha!

Here's the latest...more to come...

Mahalo~

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4327 replies