Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

The Lurid low-brow Tiki-Art of Brad (tiki-shark) Parker

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4,327 replies

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Thanks!

ONE step away from being done... I think.

Aloha!

Mahalo!

(still not done)

T

SSIIICCCKKKKK!!!!!

tikigodz-Thanks!

Creeping towards completion.

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
There is a book signing coming up Feb 20th at the Royal Kona Resort here in Kailua-Kona.
The book "Captain Cooked" will be signed by the author S.G. Grogan and me (I did the cover art.)
4PM till Sunset in the beautiful open air lobby of the Royal Kona - next to the Don the Beachcombers Mai Tai Bar.
More info here:
http://www.captaincooked.com/

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
It's done!

"Cat O' Nine Cocktails"
Acrylic on canvas 24" x 30"

Close up

close up

The 38 Chevy.

Mahalo for watching the paint dry!

T

23"30" Looks like that size cant even hold the amount of eye candy you put in there brother!!!! The sky alone can be a great piece. One day Ill have an original. You dont need any words of motivation ,or ass kissing But your post are greatly appreciated. MAHALO!!!

speechless!
Well worth the time and trouble!
You are a robot programmed to paint
and i will expose you someday!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now that i'm done being awed.....
what's next on your wish list,old chum?

G
GROG posted on Sat, Feb 5, 2011 3:35 PM

Look at all dem sharks! Dis paintings got some bite! Good job Shark Boy!!

M
mp posted on Sun, Feb 6, 2011 12:40 AM

Beautiful Brad! I can feel the long hours put into this one.
I am drunk as i am writing this but its a crazy place where one goes when
long hours go by painstakingly putting down paint getting it just right.
Getting enough sleep or putting off your list or whatever you "need to do"
in life can be put off just a little bit further when a project grabs you
and wont let go until you get it right for yourself. Super job my friend!

Big Mahalao nui loa, Tiki tribe!

I feel your love. And I hold it ,and squeeze it, tight to my heart. You, my fellow tiki tribe members give my life purpose.
Again, BIG mahalo nui Loa!

This last painting was a strange journey. It took a L O N G TIME and it felt like it was sucking the life force from my soul. Most of it was created in a fever-ish state from this darned X-mas flu-bug that came and went , and came back, and left to go pick up a quart of rum at the Safe way and then..., and then came back and tried to kill me.

I would lay on the floor of my studio wracked with chronic lower back pain (because back pain is made not good by not getting out and walking - which you can't do much when you have the flu).

So, like I was saying I contemplated much of the painting from a drug haze of pain cold/flu medication, and Doctor's pain killers, and red bull, and mountain dew. This all tuned into a near lethal combo that caused my agent .manager.guardian angel , Abbas, to drag me to the Doctor/kahuna, where he rattled the bones, thumped the empty skulls, and talked to a wise old local tiger shark aumakua that hangs out in Kona bay. He sang me his prescription while strumming a ukulele -
"get better rest, eat better, and NO MORE RED BULL OR MOUNTAIN DEW. U DUMB HAOLE!" (!) I've lived on mostly Mountain dew and not much else my entire life.

From now on it's water or green tea, (with no sweetener).
I feel a bit more better, I finished one painting and started another. This one is small. 14" x 11" Sized to fit the La Luz de Jesus group show. It's another installment in my rogues gallery of "Villains On Vacation.
So far there...
is 1) Dracula Drinks a ...Mai Tai.
2) The Were Wolf Of Waikiki
3) Frankenstein goes Hawaiian
and ... The Kreature From Kona.
Problem was the gallery in Lahina Maui said kids came in, and pointed , jumping up and down, and screeching out the names of "Dracula""Wolf man" Frankenstein" ... BUT... children do not know who the Kreature From Kona is, How sad.

Thus, The next villain to go on vacation will be the Modern day, well known to the current generation, NINJA portrayed in a popular video.computer game named Mortal Kombat. I know these villains because I worked on such video games in the 80's & 90's.
How's this for a title: "Subzero ...sucks 'em up!"
What do ya think?
More Laters...

[ Edited by: tiki shark art 2011-02-06 12:16 ]

[ Edited by: tiki shark art 2011-02-06 15:51 ]

RH

Wicked piece. The sky full of creatures reminds me of some of the setting in the "Culture" stories of Iaian M Banks.

I super-dig the cat head.

Thanks Robb - means more coming from a talent like you! Warm and squishy aloha.
So.... Villains on vacation....

"Da' Hawaiian Ninja" or "Sub Zero takes a gig as a Mixologist"
ALOHA!

Brad (Tiki Shark) Parker

[email protected]
http://www.tikishark.com
http://www.myspace.com/Lotus_Land
http://www.cocktailnation.net
http://www.sargentsfineart.com/artist/parker.php

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2011-02-06 13:09 ]

Nice work as usual Brad! And hey, who doesn't go through rough patches? Can't wait to see the Ninja develop!

Aloha Tiki Tribe,
zerostreetThanks, many cups of green tea later I'm mending.

Here's "Hawaiian Ninja, or Sub Zero Takes a gig as Mixologist"
Mahalo

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Feb 8, 2011 2:08 PM

I know its your Dracula in hiding for this new painting. I can't be fooled.

teaKEY~ Hmmm could be!

Heree's more underpainting and the start of the BG.
ALOHA!

Mortal Kombaaat!!
(que crazy techno music)

looks wicked !

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!
It's not TIKI, but the cover art I did for the "Gene Simmons" issue of Fangoria came out.

Aloha tiki tribe!

here's "Sub Zero Chills" so far...

T

SubZero likes it HOT.

Are you thinking of making that mug extra FROSTY?

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!
TeaKEY~ Yes indeed, extra frosty. Right now it looks likes he's standing on a bead of hot coals, but it will be sand by the time I'm done. Sub Zero will be all cool blue tones to stand out from the warm Hawaiian sunset. I've painted tiki mugs dripping (like in the villains on vacation piece "Dracula Drinks... a Mai Tai) but I've never tried to paint Icicles on a mug, so that will be fun.

Here's a bit more ... more smoothed out sky (layers and layers of semi transparent brush strokes to get a smoother transition from lite yellow to black.), and the wave is shaping up some more.
Soon to the fun part - the NINJA!

Mahalo for watching the paint dry!

T

TeaKEY~ Yes indeed, extra frosty. Right now it looks likes he's standing on a bead of hot coals

Thought the same thing

I've never tried to paint Icicles on a mug, so that will be fun.

:)

Smoothed out sky (layers and layers of semi transparent brush strokes to get a smoother transition from lite yellow to black.), and the wave is shaping up some more.

** It will be incredible to see where you will be at the end of your painting life. **

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

Working up the hands and feet... slowly getting the cool tones in. Lots More 2 com...

T

The Fangoria cover is fantastic and a fine tribute to Basil Gogos.

"Cat O' Nine Cocktails" is splendid and has a stunning surreal quality with images hidden in images hidden in images.

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!
Tikifool, good to hear from you my friend! There are many many things that found their way into "Cat O' Nine Cocktail". The prolonged fight I had with a flu caused long delays, and many ideas from a fevered mind on cold medicine made their way onto the canvas. It's really a strange thing to look at now, and seeing things I forgot even painting on the thing! Thank you for noticing!
Anyways, let's look at the ninja:

Still working on his flesh. His eyes are not quite there...need to be shadowy, but not sleepy.
More laters!

Looking great Brad!

Love this series, Dracula is just too cool!

Swamp Fire - Thanks man!

Here's the ninja thus far... getting to his "aloha" pattern ninja suit. Then the mug, and the "freeze power" hitting the mug. It might end up looking like the pin stripe energy used by the alien brain in "Forbidden Island".

Cant wsait for him to suck the juice out of that mug! looks wicked, brad. the tiki patterns really make it interesting!

i like the cool tones. the progess shots help so much

Tiki Duddy _ Thanks!

Working out the Hawaiian ninja suit, touching up the hands, almost to the mug.... more to come.
Brad,

Aw man, the hands look killer. I still remember trying to figure out the best way to draw hands back in art school....geez. Lookin good. A+

Do I detect a subtle change of technique?

A use of GRISAILLE?

If you've always used a grisaille, then I seriously need a HEAD-FLICK!

full thing

detail

detail

PockyTiki - THANKS for the A+! U Made y day! (now I gotta try for a gold star!)
Robb Hamel ~ GRISAILLE? Well , I had done a monotone under painting, and very slowly lay in the colors. This one even less than usual. I know my stuff have bee super bright "comic book colors" in the past, but this one went a more subtle route. Well, yeah... it is nearly all gray monochromatic shades. I was going to do a bright garish Aloha print on the ninja suit, but it soooooo didn't "read" as a ninja anymore, so I kept subduing the ninja to a cool blue/gray tones... I set his skin tones also go to a very cool hue. I think this is an avenging undead "Sub Zero", so I wanted a deathly pale to his continence.

ALOHA tiki Tribe!

Heres the start of a new painting.

Nice Brad!

zerostreet - THANX!

Here's the Island ninja with a last few touches - (palm trees)

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!

Here's the "Tiki of the Tide Pool" on da' canvas, with some roughing in of shapes and shadows.

Quality visual confectionary. Luscious to look at.

Island Ninja is a stunner!
and BAM!
you're zooming out the gates with this Tiki of the Tide Pool!
Awesome Brad! Keep that Stride!

LLT~ THANX! Yes, best to keep moving.

slapping in a night sky - or at least the first layer or two of it....
ALOHA!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

Here's the tiki now... I added in a jock-o-lantern. Don't ask why. Something about the connection between Irish ancient culture and Hawaiian ancient culture. Living on islands. Stones altars. Nature spirits. I dunno, just seemed like they matched somehow.
more to come...

sweeeeeEEEEEEET!

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!
ErkNoLikeFire~ THAAAAANKS
News: I was Just invited to be a part of the "La Luz de Jesus" 25th anniversary show - and book of pieces in the show.
Since the book needs to be ready for the show, we are finishing up the painting and text now, for the show is Sept /Oct.
Beyond me being honored to be asked in, I am also darned lucky I had already started a piece - it saved me days and days of sketching and throwing them all away and not thinking anything would be good enough to be in the show!
So,here's da' plan: the current painting is the piece I will present to the show. I think I got a nice roughed out composition, now I just got to focus and render the HECK outa it - and make it the best painting I've never done!!!!!!!!

HEY - "TIKI SIGHTING"!

Television show sighting...
Riddle me this?! "Where do Batman's enemies hang out?

Answer:" Why, the Tiki Tavern of Course!"
This was on the new animated cartoon "Batman: The Brave and the Bold"

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!

Here's where the da' tiki painting is so far...

G
GROG posted on Tue, Mar 8, 2011 2:24 PM

Looks good. Sign it. It's done.

Looking great Brad!

Beautiful work Brad, love that moon and that pun'kin!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4327 replies