Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

The Lurid low-brow Tiki-Art of Brad (tiki-shark) Parker

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4,327 replies

Aloha tiki Tribe!
Here's the latest on the small 12" x 12" canvas / warm up piece I'm doing...

But now...

Aloha tiki Tribe!

Here's the local work I did on the small 12" x 12" canvas that I'm working on. I'm changing the shape of the tiki to better match the sketch I liked... colors are starting to move around in interesting ways... I gotta give a big aloha and thanks to the art patron who liked the looks of this enough already to put down dibs$ on it. ALOHA!
B~

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

HAPPY ALOHA FRIDAY!
Wow! There are few things as cool as Lawrence Santoro reading a review of my art by Jimmy Vargas !
BIG BIG thanks and Aloha! Which happens at the starting part of episode 61 of one of my fav pod-casts.

Hearing this today really made my "HAPPY ALOHA FRIDAY!'

Check it out... http://talestoterrify.com

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2013-03-15 18:55 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2013-03-15 18:57 ]

How did I miss this great page of sweet art and fun stuff
Way cool

Jon

hang10tiki- Aloha! Glad u dig it!
and ...
ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!
So, working on the 12" x 12" canvas last night I came to the place where Sven has said "is neo tiki design tiki or just big eyed robots with big teeth?" or something like that...I remember reading it on this thread. So no matter how much I like "Invader ZIM and his robot sidekick Grrr!, I was at a point where this just wasn't looking tiki enough for me any more.
so ...

I knew I had to change something thing...hie head was lopsided and weird and non tiki feeling...

So I hit the sketch pad and re-designed the tiki till he felt more "happy tiki" again.

So here's the first rough pass over the new tiki.
(He looks a tad surprised to be so different looking now!)
But, this is headed back towards Tiki-Art and feeling better...
more laters!
B~

You put on a wonderful show here and I love to see what you are up too. The gallery exhibit looks so fine, Wendy

Thanks danlovestikis!
ALOHA TIKI TRIBE! and "HAPPY PRINCE KUHIO Day"!! (really, it's a holiday here on da' big island, some business' are closed)
So here is the latest paint slappin' on the canvas....

I'm still working out the colors and such.... more to come!

ALOHA!

I still think he looks like he's begging for rum. He's a cute little fella, and I definitely like this newer version better. :)

Atomic Tiki Punk - Wow! That's the coolest "LIKE" I've ever gotten!
tigertail777 - Thanks, I was just looking at how much he changed from where he started... wow... really different, glad you like the new version better...

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Hey - guess what? Tomorrow morning I'm gonna barrow my buddy's Pick Up Truck and Drive up to the north side of the island - to the small port in Kawaiihae. There are some boxes of my 2014 calendars that just came in on a boat, waiting for me! Oh Boy!
They Should look like this...

Anybody lookin to buy a 2014 calendar yet?
ALOHA!

KK

You can put me down for a couple of these killer calenders!

[ Edited by: Kai Koa 2013-03-28 08:22 ]

[ Edited by: Kai Koa 2013-03-28 08:23 ]

T

I'll buy three.

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Hey thanks...I got the calendars. More on that later. Cause check out this sweet sun set into the Big Blue! I was drinking and painting and listening to an "old Vegas Vic's Tiki Lounge" Pod Cast, really feeling Lotus Land by Gene Rains, and I had to snap a shot. I was a minute late, enjoying it before I thought to grab the camera... but here it is... oh yeah... Lotus Land...

ALOHA!

What a beautiful shot! It really seems to bring something more out of your painting under that light. :)

KK

Nice!

Kool

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!
Well, I'm looking to finish up on this little guy today. Brought him back to where I wanted. Last lighting, washes and he should be all done!

Here he is right now...
ALOHA!

Oh, if you are looking for Calendars for 2014, go to the Tiki Central market-place please!
BP

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!
Well last night my buddy was in my studio, said "Wow, looks great! Your all done! Except... don't it need something in the front area? ...kinda blank lookin'."
Hmmm... you know, maybe He's right. So, I put in a nice green tropical palm leaf in to frame "Da' Tiki On Da' Beach".

ALOHA!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

On my evening walk tonight it is always fun to stroll past the Wyland Kona Oceanfront Gallery and check the front window... Well, thanks to the cool folks at the gallery, I still have a bunch of my art in the front window. (whew!)

I got a real nice hunk of wall space... I feel very lucky to have this rather well known main stream Tourist Gallery really support my "Pop Surreal" / "Tiki ART". It's not what they usually show... and has been a great experience for them and me, learning about each other's side to the art Scene.

What's even better, is they keep selling my art too! Big Mahalo to owner Mark Hanna, and all his staff.
You can find them here:
Wyland Kona Oceanfront Gallery
75-5770 Alii Dr
Kailua Kona, HI 96740-1782
Phone – (808) 334-0037
Toll Free – (888) 435-6612
Email – jillW@Wyland BigIsland

Ah... another beautiful sunset over Kona Bay...
Big ALOHA Tiki Tribe!

RH

That is one damned expensive section of wall!!

Robb Hamel, thanks... but, oh I dunno, I've seen a lot of art in this gallery, and others, going for a lot more $. I know my art is starting to rise in price as folks are starting to know my art from the calendars and post cards and all that... but, one Wyland original is worth about as much as my whole wall!

But, hey I'm not griping! I'm thrilled folks are supporting me and my art, at what ever price! Wyland has been a great way to show my art to a lot of tourist and folks who would never have seen tiki art anywhere else. And, what's even better, now "tiki tribe" folks show up knowing that my art is there... the gallery can always tell when Tiki people come in... I guess we don't look like your average tourists usually... oh, you know, matching aloha shirts and skirts, women with a Betty Page look, guys with a little rock -a-billy going on, or quite a few tattoos... sometimes extremes: Mohawks and spiked leather all the way to nice SHAG print shirts, and vintage hats and skirts. But always a certain style, ya' know. It's been a learning experience for the gallery, ...and for me. Good times.

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!
The little canvas is DONE!

"Tiki on da' Beach"
12" x 12"
acrylic on canvas

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

"Tiki on da' Beach"
12" x 12"
Acrylic on Canvas

So this little piece is finally done. Took a bit longer than I thought because my bestest buddy/partner was off on a business trip and I had to run the office & do all the day to day work, banking, shipping, etc... plus try to make art! (sheesh!)

My partner/agent was on a business trip on the other side of the world with the "Body Glove Team"!
They were opening water parks, and scuba diving, bringing Surf Culture to the Middle East, all that hard work kinda stuff! PLUS, They discovered the FIRST (EVER!) Body Glove sponsored Pro Surfer in the Middle East.

He's a really cool guy named "Mo Rahma". He's young, a great surfer, and is having quite an adventure breaking through many cultural barriers as he starts his pro surfing career in a place that has never seen that "surfing life style" before. (like he got a ticket for driving in his car with his shirt off! ERK!) A great guy, - you can find him on face book. http://www.facebook.com/mo.rahma
ALOHA!
BP~

Brad (Tiki Shark) Parker
"Brad Parker creates lurid paintings that pull in influences from tiki, comics, and rock."

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2013-04-01 20:28 ]

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!
OK.... I signed it, put on the final washes, the last bits of 1880's art style, ...and it's done.

"Tiki on da' Beach"

12" x 12"
Acrylic on canvas.
a little bit of Georges Seurat's pointillism, mixed in with my pop-surrealism.
It's pre-SOLD to a collector on the west coast.
Thanks for watching the paint dry!
ALOHA!

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!
Oh, here's a nice little sketch that was used in the re-design of the last painting.

"Tiki on da' Beach" sketch.
pencil, acrylic wash.

"Hey mom! There's a Trick or Treater in a Tiki mask at the door asking for rum!" :wink:

Nice sketch Sharky, love the washes.

tigertail777 - Ha! There is a delightful little kid look to this one. Maybe part of it's huge popularity. I have never had as many people ask to buy a painting as they did on this one. i guess folks just want a painting of a happy, eager little tiki.

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!
Well on to the next painting. This is a commission. "Two Tikis"
The request is for 2 tikis, a cat , and a skull.
Here's some sketches...

Here's the skulls and the cat (s).

I then went to thumb nail sketches to get a basic shape of the composition.

Now I have an idea started.... one tiki is more modern, one is more ancient. One side has a tiki bar in the Back ground, the other raw natural... ah, nature in the back ground.
Ideas still percolating.
More to come....
ALOHA
BP~

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2013-04-03 14:24 ]

Bue-Dee-Full !!!

Holler Waller - THANX!
ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!
Next commissioned painting: "Two Tikis": ideas, Skulls. Cats. One old style tiki. One modern style Tiki. Tiki bar in the BG. Hawaiian sunset in the BG.

Two Tikis so far.... lots to do.
Are you going on a vacation to Kailua-Kona on the Big Island? Stay at the mega-hip mid-century very "Tiki" styled Royal Kona Resort, 75-5358 Alii Drive, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii 96740 (808) 329-3111 http://www.facebook.com/royalkonaresort
In the open air lobby, looking out over the Kona bay you'll see spinner dolphins, inside, you'll find a gift shop: "Lynn's Sundries"- http://www.facebook.com/lynns.sundries.

They have a full "Brad (Tiki-Shark) Parker" section. Big BIG Mahalo to Royal Kona managers Jeff Ibister & Lisa Rothka, for all their Aloha and support of me and my art.

A short walk down the street along Kona Bay, you find "the Wyland Kona Oceanfront Gallery". They have original Parker paintings, original drawings, plus a huge selection of high quality giclees of my work. Gallery owner Mark Hanna, Gallery High Priestess Jill Weiss, and Sales Amazon Pamela Soteros have been huge supporters of my art and career, plus the whole Wyland team. I owe them so much for getting my "Tiki Art" out into the pop-culture of the Tourist rich Hawaii art scene. U can find them at:
The Wyland Kona Oceanfront Gallery
75-5770 Alii Dr
Kailua Kona, Hawaii 96740-1782
USA
Phone – (808) 334-0037
Email - [email protected]
All this happened through the wise guidence of my best buddy and Art Agent, Abbas. He has molded my career, and made it happen. Wait! What's that low rumble?! The ground is shaking! Is Madam Pele angry? Is the Volcano erupting?! Naw, Abbas purchased the "Bat-Mobile"... or, well, we call it the "Tiki-Mobile".

That deep roar is the Tiki-Mobile prowling along Ali'i drive as my Art Agent plays Batman.... and I get to be...ah... Robin?
Wha?
Look!
The Tiki Signal is lighting up the evening Vog!
Quick!
To the Tiki Lair!
Time to make TIKI ART!
ALOHA!!

Brad (Tiki Shark) Parker
"Brad Parker creates lurid paintings that pull in influences from tiki, comics, and rock."

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2013-04-05 00:36 ]

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

"Two Tikis"
working out the Back ground...
A nice tiki bar, a slinking cat, a skull (maybe golden?, n the sand, with some shadowy noir flavors mixed into the city shapes...and a bright Hawaiian sunset.
More to come!
ALOHA!

Aloha Tiki Tribe & HAPPY ALOHA FRIDAY!!

Here is a better lit (lighted) sketch of "Two Tikis"
Things I'm working on...

I think the cat has to be smaller.
I like the gold skull in the sand idea - cursed taboo/kapu treasure.
I like the TIKI LOUNGE in the back ground on the left vs the raw natrual pristine Hawaiian sunset on the right.
I like the TIKI LOUNGE in a Waikiki/Gotham City Honolulu-that-never-was noir place of gum shoe detectives & tikis & 'aumakuas.
I like a wave breaking on shore-that hypnotic magical ocean moment us humans never tire of watching.

Now to figure out colors. (grrr! the hard part!)
Twilight/sunset. Sunset is vog red and orange. There fore, the tiki in-front of that has to be cool, blue-greens.
Should I try to reverse it on the other tiki? Dare I? That's asking for some tricky lighting...

Make the Waikiki Tiki Lounge green and purple lights, with a warm yellow and orange (or Woody) toned tiki in front of it.
That should make some tricky color work! But the tiki will stand out from their respective back grounds, now, how to make that all look like it makes sense on some level of pop-surrealistic logic.

I know, "you should do some color comps!" I hate color comps. They never come out right, and I can never get them right again if I get them right once....

Oh! The Tiki Phone just rang! It was the Pele Volcanic HOT line! My Art Patron was on the line, had seen the sketches, and is requesting going back a step or two...

... to these Tikis that were leaning against each other, the ones with more emotional warmth between them. Ah, yes, I was just thinking I had lost something... that sweet ALOHA feeling. Good we are on the same brain wave lengths. I had the same feeling too and was hoping my patron would clear up that question. All else is good to go.
Perfect!
It's nice when you synch up with your art patron.
Mo' Latters!
ALOHA!
BP~

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2013-04-07 19:17 ]

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Hey, I found this on the net; A check list for a "good work space". - Here's my responses. Hope I did OK.

Here’s a personal checklist for creating a workspace that keeps you inspired, creative, and prolific.

1. Color = energy. - So splattered paint is good, right?

2. A daily fire library. - I have no idea what that means, other than fire one up every day?

3. Music that keeps you creative. - Martin Denny, Alice Cooper, Lex Baxter, KISS, Don Tiki, Lefthead, The Crazed Mugs, Ape, Judas Priest, Cumbustible Edison, Tikiyaki Orchestra, Brian Setzer Orchestra, Arthur Lyman, Gene Rains, Yma Sumac, Nine Inch Nails, The Ghastly Ones, Jimmy Vargas, The Aqua Velvets, and Clouseaux (lagoon is still one of the best exotica albums of all time, I think) and if that fails, I listen to the Quiet Village Pod Cast!

4. Let the light shine in. - I got two windows. and six lights.

5. Keep it clean. - Hmmmm... define "clean" please.

6. Map your flow. - What the...?

7. Keep your reasons why where you can see them. - My over due bills are taped on the wall above my desk.
    (Well, that and I also write across the top of each month of my calendar "No Matter What Happens Don't Stop Making Art!")

8. Get a good chair - sit in a chair, kneel, stand ...with a bad back, ya' gotta move around a bunch, but these old bones do start to ache. Then out comes the rum!

9. Do the basic ergonomics. -Gonna' guess that means I can see my computer, and my canvas, ...when I have my glasses on.

10. Create a space for scheming. - A Bottle of rum and a nice comfy rug on the floor in the corner.

11. Get the tools you need. - Well, I got some brushes from Ace Hardware. Had a sale!

12. Check the Feng Shui. - I got some "asian art" on my shelfs...

See?

13. Notebooks. - Got lots of sketch books, old comics, and some great old art books by folks like Frazetta and Robert Williams, and of course, the Book of Tiki!

14.Vision statement. - Hmmm, guess that's back to the shelfs of "Inspirational reference material"

There, that should do the trick. Godzilla is Feng Shui, right? Or maybe they want I should move my mug collection in my art studio? Naw, I'd get get paint on 'em!

OkeeDookee, done. Great! I think my studio's all set to be a "creative space"! Ready! Time to make "Tiki Art"!
ALOHA!

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2013-04-07 19:18 ]

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Hey, got some local press and made the cover of the Big Island Tourist Guide!

it's "Beyond the Reef".
SWEET!

Big aloha!
BP~

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Here is a redo at the request of my gracious art patron:

I went back to the happier, more intimate tikis (as they are to represent a couple)
I left in the Skull in the "male" tiki's head, and I added in the skulls in his eyes, cause I liked them too, and my patron digs the same.
I worked up the tiki bar, getting a nice balance of Waikiki/Gotham City now. Framing it with palms, and will bring in some tropical flowers in the foreground to finish that bit. Now to work in a cat or kitties...

I will mystically consult with my Feng Shui Godzilla collection for guidance in the feline frequency work in this sketch.

Big Aloha!
BP~

Consult away with your godzilla clan...they have never failed you before!
This one is is going to sweet and a lil dark,and a whole lot Awesome!

Rented some episodes from the Kikaida series of the 70's recently.
i guess they were REAL popular on the islands back in the day....
Check them out....
the monsters are the BEST!
KAIJU MADNESS that is RIGHT up your alley!

Totally, they still ARE! my friend has a Kikaida costume and makes mall appearances and small town parades!

These are my friends over on Oahu

and hanging out in Waikiki...

local tv commercials...
Hawaii is full of super heroes!

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2013-04-07 04:48 ]

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Here's the redone sketch for the painting, with the changes requested by my art patrons.

The tiki are happier, more attached to each other, with a cat (he need's a little work) , a gold skull in the sand of the beach, and the taller tiki has a few skulls in it's, eyes and it's third eye too, or it's brain pan...top of it's head we'll say.
More to come....
Waikiki/Gothom City with a tiki lounge, and a nice sunset.... yep, lot's more to come, like color and all dat!
Aloha!

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2013-04-07 19:17 ]

Beautiful sketch Brad! Interesting to see the changes requested.

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!
zerostreet - thank you!

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2013-04-07 23:40 ]

S

As someone who loves both skulls and cats i'm really looking forward to seeing this one finished. Will there be prints available of this one when it's done?

Yes! There will be prints... like there are prints of most of my work for sale right now. Best place to find them is to personal message me, or go to my home gallery The Wyland Kona Oceanfront Gallery
75-5770 Alii Dr
USA
Phone – (808) 334-0037
or
Email – [email protected]
Here's what I'm working on now:

Had a nice evening walk,
went past the gallery and met some folks who , not only liked my work, but knew all the titles of all my paintings! (I'm not even sure I do... at least that easily)

..and she knew all the old horror movies I love...

Wow! These are the cool kinda' people you want to own your art.

So, my best-est buddy and I wee taking our evening walk through town, and out to the end of the pier where we looked down and saw this!
Beautiful evening!
Big Aloha Tiki Tribe!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

It's time to start thinking about the 2nd annual "HAWAII-WEEN"!
October 24th, thursday - Royal Kona Resort, Kailua-Kona Hawaii.
October 25th Friday - The Wyland Kona Oceanfront Gallery". Kailua-Kona Hawaii.

It's "the Body Glove Kreature in Kona Halloween, and Tiki-Mug release Party!"

So, I designed a set of 3 Tiki-Mugs with Tiki Farm.

They feature Body glove's 60 year Anniversary!

I based the mugs on a painting I was making for Body Glove,

"Sea Creature"
Acrylic on canvas
24" x 30"

The painting was inspired by Body Glove's award winning short film "The Disappearance" - a 7 minute short surfer/monster movie.
Here's the fright flick: http://surf.transworld.net/1000151561/videos/imaginarium-body-gloves-the-disappearance/
After that you can change your surf-shorts, and watch the "making of..." here: http://surf.transworld.net/1000151677/videos/imaginarium-behind-the-scenes-with-body-glove/

Now my art agent, Abbas, is arranging a "Tiki-Mug Release Party", with the folks from Body Glove, and the Body Glove Sea Creature,
and I want to sell art prints of the painting, and make a limited edition "event poster", and some event tee-shirts, to sell along with the set of 3 Tiki-Mugs.
Plus maybe a red carpet full screening of the full lenght feature of "The Disappearance" that Todd Browning (surfer/director) & Body Glove is making right now.

We hope to have a screening of a full length feature of the surf/monster movie (which body Glove is making right now).

So it's a two night party, night one is thurs Oct 24th at the Royal Kona Resort - where we hope to have live music by Henry Kopono (he's big here),
Sell swag and you be able to get your posters and mugs signed by me and the owners of Body Glove, and get your photo taken with the SEA CREATURE!

THEN Friday Oct 25 at the "Wyland Kona Ocean Front Gallery",
...with the Body Glove folks & Sea Creature. We're gonna call it "the 2nd annual Hawaii-Ween party". Should be a blast.

Last year got kinda' wild.
If you guys ever were thinking of making it to the big island, Oct would be ideal. We'll get special low rates at the Royal Kona Resort... http://www.royalkona.com

There'll be more info here as time goes one.

The Wyland Kona Oceanfront Gallery
75-5770 Alii Dr
USA
Phone – (808) 334-0037
or
Email – [email protected]

Hope 2 C U There!
ALOHA!

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!
and "Happy Aloha Friday!"

TWO TIKIS got a lot done on the tiki on the left. Really tries to get that happy energy I had in the sketch, and my art patrons liked that a lot. So I did catch myself strangely drifting off the sketch, and I really studied the pieces to get him back to that "HAPPY ALOHA-ALOHA" look.
Now, the fun of the other tiki,
and ,my favorite part is the big Tiki Bar and the Waikiki/Gotham City in the Back ground.

And if you are interested in reading about my experiment in kitsch check out my post card thread in the Market place.

ALOHA!
BP~

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

Here's the latest paint slapping on canvas that I call Tiki Art coming outa' my studio...

Getting the "ALOHA -ALOHA" look of the tiki on the left just as mega-happy as he was in the sketch.
ALOHA~
BP

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

Here's where we are on Two Tikis right now...long way to go
Aloha

Aloha

more work done...more to come...

G
GROG posted on Mon, Apr 15, 2013 12:43 PM

You've been posting really often lately, but Eric October is kickin' your butt production-wise. Check out his latest Gallery post. I understand you're the one who encouraged him to get into tiki art and join Tiki Central. You've created a monster---in a good way.

GROG...
....I KNOW! I'm so proud of ERIC!
What happened was, We were at "Tikis & Terror's 2", had dinner, & were drinking from a scorpion bowl with two other folks, and I was telling Eric how he should paint tikis, that he'd be a natural... and with a name like "Eric October"! Sheesh, - this guys got talent, a really catchy name, a winning personality, - he's gonna be huge in the LA art scene... but, Eric was thinking that, well, it's not my culture... and, I think I said something like "What are you talking about? You love coming to Tiki Culture Art shows, and Tiki Restaurants, you love old monster movies, You LOVE the Disney Tiki Room, and Godzilla, - you thrive on pop-culture! I'm not telling you to paint "Historical Hawaiian Culture", of course that's not your area of interest or expertise, I'm asking you to paint YOUR vision of Tiki-Pop-Culture..."

...and luckily that was enough to plant a seed in his extremely fertile brain. Eric has always inspired ME! He can make anything. I'm so happy that I was able to inspire him back for once...and now he's expanded the limits of Tiki-culture! If I never did anything good in my life, at least I know that I helped Eric October discover Tiki Culture, and the rest is gonna' go down in pop-culture history! Hoo-Ray Eric! U RAWK!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4327 replies