Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

The Lurid low-brow Tiki-Art of Brad (tiki-shark) Parker

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4,327 replies

Aloha Tikin Tribe!
Check out what may be my best "Tiki Mug" design yet!

The "Shark-Tiki" tiki mug!
2nd mug in the 3 mug set - big mug release party here in Kailua Kona This October 24th & 25th. HAWAII-WEEN II!
For mor info or if you want to pre-order a set, contact the WYLAND Kona Ocean Front Gallery, 75-5770n Alii Drive, Kailua-Kona , Hawaii, 96740 (8708) 334-0037 http://www.WylandBigIsland.com [email protected]
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=42660&forum=4&start=15

Aloha Eric October Fans, and Tiki Tribe!

The front window of the Wyland Kona Ocean front Gallery.

I hate my computer, sometimes it seems like a battle of good and evil is going on inside it.

research for the BG of "Two Tikis"

Bought a cool used book real cheap at the KONA USED BOOK STORE. Someday I should learn how to draw cars, I think I really want to put more cars & Hot rods into my "Polynesian-Pulp-Art"

Went to the dentist. Extracted 6 teet, included a wisdom tooth that thought it was wise to grow in sideways and knock all my other teeth out of line, yeah, 6 (six) rotten infected teeth... no more Mountain Dew addition for me. (sigh)

ALOHA

HA HA HA! Love your good and evil representation there! :D

GAH! Don't say that about the teeth! I have a sideways molar that's probably been needing taken care of for years and I am afraid its going knock everything out of whack if its taken out. I hate dentists I can feel your pain from here. :o

Great score on the book. I am not too good at drawing mechanical things either. :)

Your new painting is coming along swimmingly, can't wait to see how it turns out.

tigertail777 - thanks, ha ha ... funny. Space Godzilla IS evil. And...

But IS Godzilla a force of good or evil? Or a force of nature? ...hmmmm there is this proof that Godzilla is good:

But, If you live in Japan and Godzilla and Space Godzilla, and that giant Robot from "the Mysterions" named Moguera are all coming you DO NOT want to live in...

...a small town named "FUKU".
OK, glad we got that settled.

ART

Been working on the BG for "2 tikis" - on the left will be Waikiki/Gotham City
on the right will be a raw natural sunset, maybe Diamond head, a wave...flowers.

Here's a closer look at Waikiki/Gotham, you may notice...

The landmark of the "Aloha Tower"

So, here it is so far... lets see how much I can get done today...
ALOHA!

Brad (Tiki Shark) Parker
"Brad Parker creates lurid paintings that pull in influences from tiki, comics, and rock."

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2013-04-18 14:37 ]

T

I was just perusing Brad's thread and imagine my surprise when I came upon a discussion about me by two of my tiki mentors... Tiki Shark and Grog!

Thanks a bunch for the kind words! Yes, Brad is the Dr. Frankenstein to my Monster!

You forgot to mention that the discussion that planted the tiki seed in me happened at Bahooka... another reason that place was so dear to my heart! And see Brad, you are so endlessly creative and talented, inspiration bursts forth from you in glorious waves...

The Shark-Tiki mug is freaking awesome (and an appropriate creation for Tiki Shark!) The Body Glove 60th design was already blowin' me away... this one is cool beyond description!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

Still working on the "Two Tikis" painting. Here's a look back at the drawing as reference - Which I am seeking to catch the flavor of.... the fine art patrons who commissioned this piece like the sketch, and though my work can waiver off on strange tangents while I'm painting, I'm not on this one. However I am creating the "Waikiki/Gotham" That I always am trying to capture on the left.... it's proving a bit harder on the canvass but I'm getting there.... There is my own paint smugged finger prints on the sketch now though...oops!
ALOHA!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Apr 21, 2013 12:51 AM

Have you seen the BG's (backgrounds) my friend Rob Pratt has in his Superman cartoons? Might help with inspiration for your town. GROG know you like that Film Noir atmosphere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2WVlmNqMMs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSIlr2-mw-w

and if you have Red and blue glasses, you can watch it in stunnung 3-D:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_B8VXi2c3A

Beautiful! Ver very well done!

Grog - thanks again, some really great work there! Fantastic. Like the great classic Superman animation for the Max Fleischer Animated epics of the early 1940's. Love it! Of if only we'd get a full on animated serries done is such beautiful style!

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!
Here is the designs and the mock-up of the 3rd and final tiki mug in the Body Glove 60th Anniversary Sea Creature Mug Set!

Sea Creature pencils #1
Sea Creature Tiki Mug pencils #2

And the amazing computer mock up of the final mug from Tiki Farm!

To find out more about the big Body Glove Sea Creature "Tiki-Mug Release" Party go to the Tiki Central Events . Here's the link:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=42660&forum=4&start=15

Order your set now from the Wyland Kona Ocean Front Gallery!
The Wyland Kona Oceanfront Gallery
75-5770 Alii Dr
Kailua Kona, Hawaii 96740-1782
USA
Phone – (808) 334-0037
Toll Free – (888) 435-6612
Email - [email protected]
or
Email – [email protected]

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Here's the lastest on "Two Tikis" - almost done on the monochormatic underpaintings on Waikiki/Gotham City...

BP~

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Hey, check out this latest up date on the truly amazing "Body Glove /Sea Creature " Tiki-Mug set coming out thisb October - it's a like to the big mug release party on on Tiki Events!
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=42660&forum=4&start=30

If you can't make it to Kona for Hawaii-Ween, and the mug party, there's also info on getting your set of mugs PRE-ordered!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Here's today's PAINT SLAPPING ON DA' OLD' CANVAS...

Sunsets, always good to get a look at one while you're painting one.

Aloha!
BP~

Aloha Tiki Tribe,
I had a business appointment on Maui so was gone off island for a few days. Here's the travel log

Leaving the big island, this is the 4 seasons resort from above.

This is flying over the small island of Kahoolawe on the way to Maui.

Here's the coast of Maui. I'm flying in a ten seater plane - and it's a lot like being in an Indiana Jones Movie.

Oh Maui we stayed at the Royal Lahaina Resort, and were treated to one of the great full on facing the sea rooms - at a Kama'aina rate. Thanks Liz Bell!
More next...
ALOHA!
BP~

Aloha 'Tiki Tribe!
So, now I'm on Maui. Staying in Lahina. We took in some sights in that great sea side town - like Mc Fleetwoods. Food and drink and entertainment by wold class rock stars who just drop in...

Dig the live music - "Knocking on Heaven's Door" played live by ... well you wouldn't believe me.

The full moon was up - great night! One if my favorite things about Maui is all the old rock stars who live there - is Alice Cooper is a night DJ on KAOI 95.1 FM - he's funny, smart, and been there and done... well everything, so he's a total blast to listen to.

Here's a suger cane field being burned in the middle of the island. All part of the harvest there.

OK, now to work. Had a meeting with my agent, the owner of Body Glove, and the accountant for the Edgar Rice Burroughs estate ... on "Big Beach".

Work work work...

Work...

ALOHA more laters!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

After a long day of work on the beach we all went for a sunset cruise on the Ali'i Nui... the guy running the boat was named Captain Morgan!

Me and my agent, Abbas, working out business details...

We ended up on the "Ali'i Nui" sail boat because it's owned by Maui Dive Shop - who are clients of ours. Thanks Dan!

We pulled away from Maui, and the "Booze Cruise" started!

The "Ali'i Nui" is a huge catamaran - brand spanking new. We had some wind so...

They cut the engines and and raised sail.

Nothing like sailing and drinking rum!

L to R: Ronny (the Edgar Rice Burroughs Estate guy), Billy (the owner of Body Glove), Abbas (my agent), and me! Ahoy & Cheers!

Cool thing about a catamaran is laying on the big see through canvas things, see the sea rushing beneath you. Billy and Karen chillin'!

Of course an amazing sunset!

It's a huge boat , could fit 100, but about 40 that night made getting food and drinks so easy. Saw some hump backs late in the season, and even some "False Killer whales" which "I had never seen before - big!

Billy and I talked about the final Body Glove 60 Anniversary Tiki Mugs - he's coming out to Kona on Oct 24 & 25th for the mug release party to sign stuff! Great Guy!

Here's TIKI FARM's latest work on the tiki mug set!
ALOHA!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Still working on Maui...

Saturday morning went for a early walk on the beach. Water like glass. Beautiful weather. Nearly surreal.

Soaking up the creative mana for more art - back in the hotel room...

I could learn to deal with a view like this.

Business Meetings were over, hung out on the beach before checking out.

We climbed back in the 10 seater to fly back to our island.

The little planes really give you a chance to see the islands, and the water, so very clear.
![](https://tikicentral.com/uploads/5514/517ca6fd.jpg[/img
Flew past the top of Maui, it's still above us - we were at 9 thousand feet.
[img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/5514/517ca775.jpg)
40 minutes over the Pacific and we were coming down onto the Big Island. Here's a great beach from the air...

Alright, enough dry business meetings. Now, time to make some TIKI art!
Aloha!
BP~

Thanks for sharing your adventures, beautiful pics! Ahhhhh... Lahina... watching the sunset through the "back porch" of one of the seafood restaurants there is a memory I will take to my grave. I love that little town dearly. :)

tigertail777 - I so agree with you. After being all over that Island now, Lahina is the place I would want to live. Really... There is nothing else like it. I could set up shop under that big monkey Pod tree in the park and sell my art. ALOHA!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

Let me introduce my newest MEGA Tiki-Art Patron!

The TARGET'S in Hawaii have an area that sells Tourist Gifts. And I was kinda' shocked to see my stuff in so mainstream a venue.

They even carry the "Monsters in Hawaii" post cards! These were designed to be very "Low Brow" and a ultra-kitschy riff on traditional Hawaii Post Cards. I wonder, do they grock the Kitsch?

Do they grasp the irony in that I'm sort of turning the post card thing up side down?

Well, the Target buyer must like it, as this is the second TIKI Calendar of mine they have carried.

Well, I gotta tell you it's quite rewarding to see my art effecting American Pop Culture in this way. Sure maybe a small way, but just knowing people will come back from their Hawaiian vacations with some TIKI ART for their walls gives me a great sense of doing something good with my art.
So, yep yep yep, I get a warm-squishy-happy feeling seeing that in some little way I am getting TIKI Art to people who may never have seen it before, and that Tiki Culture in alive and well!
Big ALOHA!
B~

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2013-05-06 00:00 ]

just another day paradise :)

aloha tiki tribe!

Re painting the painting...

Finally got the door man tikis looking right...

The mysterious wahine in the tiki bar takes shape...

this painting was really fighting me, and not looking how I wanted, till late last night.
Now we're getting some wheres...
ALOHA!

Loved the photos. We plan to visit the Big Island next year. Thank you for all the photos, I studied them well, Wendy

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
I got stuck on my painting. Was too close and could not see what was wrong, and kept painting and it was getting worse!

So I took a break. Lounging in my work clothes in my favorite chair - my Elvis Jungle-room chair.

And when I sit in my tiger chair I can see the back yard.

Sometimes ya' gotta stop and soak in that big blue back yard goodness!

So what was wrong - it was the whole Tiki Lounge front. I painted out the whole thing. Made the tikis a little bit smaller, made the roof beams so they made sense a little more, and got to figure out my light source(s) better, and added in the all important mystery wahine!

Deep breath. Clear out all that chatter going on in the "monkey brain". And the muse of art will show up about sunset time, and let ya' know what needs to be fixed....
OK, it doesn't always work that easy, but (thank goodness) tonight it did!
BIG ALOHA!
B~

Aloha tiki Tribe!
Acrylic paint - underpainting.

I lay in a green boarder to create a darker edge to the composition to draw the viewer's eye to the center of the painting.

This green will hardly be seen as "green" when I'm done as It'll be covered with more semi-transparent red, then I thick some pointillism to mix the two opposing shades to create a nice blurry soft focus effect around the bright and detailed center.

And here's a look at one of the details in the center. The "mysterious Wahine" standing in the door way to the Tiki Lounge. I really like using the visual language or Tiki Culture and I think this is part of they modern mythology. She , of course won't be gray, this is just the monochromatic underpainting to work out the lights and darks. I think she will mostly be done in greens and purples when finished.
more to come...
ALOHA
BP~

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
I know I talk a lot aboutt Wylan Kona Water Front Gallery, and all the art of mone they carry... there is one other place on the Big Island that carries my "stuff". It's the Gift Shop in the lobby of the most Tiki-fied hotel in Kona - the Royal Kona Resort:"Lynn's Sundries"

It's right next to the Don's the Beach combers Bar and Grill and across from Don's Mai Tai Bar.

It's a very cool retro style hotel, and they keep it up, tikis and fish ponds and bridges and water fall...the whole 60's motif. So... if you happen to be there and wanta' do some shopping...

Stop in the gift shop, Lisa - the manager - is very sweet, and very easy on the eye.. strained weary tiki traveler.

And she keeps a darned well stocked shop with lots of TIKI swag. Not just another ABC Store clone, but a warm and really great store, well put together by some one who cares - filled with Aloha. I got a great vibe right from the first and knew I just had to have my stuff for sale there.

They always have a good supply, and even have the often hard to find Tiki Cat and Diga Diga Doo Stickers.
If you're not in Kona, you can personal message me to order some. I take pay pal.

My Company "Tiki Shark Art, Inc." also makes their beach towels. (did I mention all the Aloha?)
Big Aloha, and good shopping!
Brad Tiki-Shark Parker

"Lynn's Sundries" looks like a super cool shop full of Aloha! Awesome that they carry your stuff so prominently. :)

I want that tiger chair. I can see why its one of your favorite things. :D

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!

Thanks - yeah the gift shop in the Royal Kona Resort is Awesome...it's an amazing step back in time to a swanky 60's open air Lobby & Mai Tai Bar... Love the big tikis through-out the joint... most tiki-fied hotel in Kailua-Kona.

I'm sooooo happy to be a part of the whole special vibe of that place. They really treat me well, really "get" my art & Tiki-Culture.

(Lisa, the attractive manager rides a motorcycle - hot? Yes it is warm in Kona.) .

AND if you go over to the TIKI EVENTS ....you can find the DOUBLE-SPECIAL TIKI-SECRET TIKI-TRIBE "code word" that will get you great DISCOUNT room rates for the "Body Glove Tiki-Mug Release Party!" this Oct 24th & 25th! (first come first serve!)

We'll show the Body Glove Sea Creature Surf Movie that won all the awards.

And the painting based in the film.

Body Glove 60 Anniversary Tiki-Mug

"Shark-Tiki" Tiki -Mug

The Body Glove Sea Creature Tiki-Mug!

It's good to see you doing so well, Shark. That's good busy you got going on there.

C

I love the cat picture....awesome!

Cat? U mean Tiki Cat?
Hey look at this new glazes and such...

ALOHA!
B

Aloha Tiki Tribe
Here's the evolution of a Tiki-Mug. Pencil designs to picking out glazes.

This is "Shark-Tiki" the tiki-mug. It's part of the three mug set coming out from Body Glove this October. Check out this link over to the Tiki Event Blog here on Tiki Central for more detail.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=42660&forum=4&start=30&36
Big Aloha
B Tiki-shaRK P

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
So, I got the Tiki-mobile "officially" listed as a collectors model with the Corvette Museum. I think, or at least something official like that came in da' mail.Still waiting for my personalized plates...

Ok, so enough with the toys... on to da' art...
STILL fighting with this BG.... think I'm gonna paint in my palm tree and give the city a rest.

Once again, that layer of green will be much covered with another layer of semi-transparent paint and will end up looking more red than green, but darker....

It's... well... It's slowly getting there. I just have to keep in mind my light sources.
ALOHA
BP~

C

It is looking good! Looking forward to the final product!

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!
Well, to get away from my artistic block on the mega city Waikiki-Gotham and working out the problems my inner art-o-scope keeps telling me "hey there's something just not right with this yet..." I have moved over to paint the palm trees, and I hope, free up the blockage.

Here's the whole thing. Two trees to balance out the city-ness of the left side.

A closer look at the palm tree. I gotta tell ya' it really felt good to put something new on the canvas and get off that "every-brush-stroke-is-wrong" place I was at.
It's starting to look a little more like a balanced composition, and the BG is starting to take on interesting evening colors of tropical mystical-tude. Still a long way to go before my inner art-muse-0-meter tells me it looks good enough to pass on to the art patrons who have requested this piece, but, I'm makin' a little more progress! Yipee!
more laters!
BP~

Aloha tiki Tribe!
While I'm painting pal trees I was re-sketching some buildings , perhaps this will solve my artist-block.

Oh and I must pause here in my art tiki-central-blog-thingie and note with a sad sigh that a childhood hero has passed on. Ray Harryhausen, the greatest name in art direction and special effects when I was a kid, - and I think the ONLY art director ever to have his name added onto a movie to make it a bigger draw - he was a huge influence on me. I still have a bunch of his movies on DVD. There is something he could really catch in his stop-motion that no one else really could. It has a strange magical look and feel. I even think a darn sight better than some of the cheap CGI that is flooding the fantasy film s today.

Ray Harryhausen's "The Children of the Hydra's Teeth"

... from "Jason and the Argonauts" - one of the greatest action moments in fantasy film history.
Aloha Ray!
(I raise a Mai Tai, here's to you - hope you're in that big special effects shop in da' sky!)

Brad (Tiki Shark) Parker
"Brad Parker creates lurid paintings that pull in influences from tiki, comics, and rock."

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2013-05-22 02:24 ]

Aloha tiki Tribe!
Here's some more work on the painting... the pal trees are looking OK, and I'm getting an idea on the foreground... lots to go , but a nice sunset for inspiration!

Two Tikis - in progress

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Was dropping off a special request Giclee Art print at the local gallery here in Kailua-Kona that carries my art. The only gallery in all the islands that carries my art. It's one of my better ones...

"The Classic Monsters on Vacation"
Giclee on paper 16" x 20"
I usually only print one monster per one 16" x 20" sheet, but have done special requests becasue...

The people at the gallery can just about sweet talk me into anything!
If ya' ever get the chance, check 'em out.
Wyland Kona Oceanfront Gallery
75-5770 Alii Dr
Kailua Kona, HI 96740-1782
Phone – (808) 334-0037
Toll Free – (888) 435-6612
Email – jillW@Wyland BigIsland
ALOHA!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
OMG! Huge NEWS! I had a dream last night - you know one of these dreams where everything seemed MORE real than the real world? One of those! In this dream GOD was trying to talk to us, but we are imperfect creations and have such a bunch of "monkey brain" stuff going on in our minds all da' time we never get the message from GOD clearly. You know "Monkey Brain" is right? It's that never ending chatter of day to day junk we half to worry about- "...is my hair too long? Should I clean this tee-shirt or is that smell not too bad yet? Did I lock the front door? Is the garage door unlocked? Are we out of milk?" you know, that unending MIND-LESS CHATTERING filling your brain.
OK. So-far (ah, in the dream I had) the heaven sent message has BEEN CORRUPTED... and has come out as not information about God, but... about... Godzilla instead!

And, the real message was... er...let's see... I'm kinda forgetting it all now... gee.. I gotta start keeping a "dream diary" next to my bed again. Anyways, "Peace Love and Understanding?" No, that's Elvis Costello. OK, I forgot it. Nope, It's got something to do with watching All the Godzilla movies... in proper order... and then, the questions of the entire universe will all be answered to you!! All Knowledge will be yours! Cool? Huh? ...what? ....Well, gosh, it was just a dream.

(whew!) Great googly-moogily, that was a really long way to go for a really bad joke. I apologize, and I blame over work, and THOR - Thor told me rum was a great medium to clean your paint brushes.

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2013-05-24 16:16 ]

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
OK back to making Art...
I'm currently still working on the "Two Tikis" - acrylic on Canvas painting.

As you can see, I have a better idea about the sky and how it'll end up. The BG is starting to pull together well. Now on to the SEA, and the TIKIS!
Big Aloha!
BP

Brad (Tiki Shark) Parker

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2013-05-24 11:13 ]

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Music is a huge inspiration for me. Exotica. Rock-a-Billy. Rock. Metal. Classical.

...and then there's this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooouijhjcYg

Aloha Tiki Tribe,
Music is a huge inspiration to my work. This exotica song is one of my favorites. If I had unlimited time (and money) I'd animate it and just put it out on the net. Art for Art's sake.
This musical piece I am always seeking to capture on canvas is "Tiki" (this version is by Les Baxter I think) It's a very powerful piece. Reaching at moments the same emotional realm of Metal, and Classical, it's got a "big Band" feel too, all equal in emotional intensity in my mind. Exotica/Metal is the musical form of my Pulp Tiki Art, I guess. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF28Wz-z3NY

It'd be great to animate some of the great Exotica tunes... to this level of detail:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_Oa3f-WFps

Oh well, I'll have to settle to just creating the best acrylic paintings I can instead of animations!
ALOHA!
B~

Brad (Tiki Shark) Parker

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2013-05-29 22:33 ]

Happy ALOHA Friday Tiki Tribe!

Jungle Witch

Hula Baby

Put them together on a beautiful Wahine...

WOW!

That leg art is good enough to give us full size photos of each view. Wendy

I know! I think it's BETTER than my paintings!

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2013-06-02 21:45 ]

Very cool tattoo, love the vibrant colors!

Since no one else said it, happy birthday Brad! :wink:

Aloha Tiki Tribe,
Here's a cool look at the Body Glove Sea Creature Tiki-Mug from Pencil design to first glazed piece.

Pretty swanky!
Check out the Tiki Events or the Tiki Market place for more info about this Tiki-mug, and the whole set it belongs to!

And here's a gander at the "Godzilla" shelf in my art studio after a few additions from my Birthday - all reference material for future art projects and a study into pop culture, of course.
Aloha!
BP~

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2013-06-04 22:42 ]

aloha tiki tribe!

Here's where the painting is now... I dod a lot of work on the sky and now I'm working on the sea...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4327 replies