Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

The Lurid low-brow Tiki-Art of Brad (tiki-shark) Parker

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4,327 replies

u rock Bruddah

Awesome

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2014-12-20 08:29 ]

hang10tiki - Thnax! I'm working on it…

Working on the painting again, letting my producer look at all my tiki designs and waiting for feed back.
So "A Black Cat Crosses the Path of the Night Marchers" is back up being painted on.

Here's the sketch of the basic lay-out of the endless MC Esher stairs and the tree.
I decided to change the tree to be more palm-tree-like .
I think I also need to make the rocks of the stairs look like Lava Rocks.
That way they will look like all the stone-walls, half built structures, and other unfinished things made of Lava-Rock laying around the island.
These are the things they say the "Menehunes" made; but if they cannot finish a project in one night, they let it go and never finish it.

Mele kelikimaka Tiki Tribe,
Just got back from (urgh!) Yoga class. As an artist gets older you start to really feel things like lower back problems effecting your work. The many hours , days, years of hunched over drawing with a pen,pencil,brush, or mouse, has done a job on these ol' bones. So, back to the gym. Except now, my work outs are what used to be what I would have called a light warm up when I was younger. Oh well, gotta do what ya' gotta do. And I gotta make da' Art - no matter what.

Here a quick re-sketch of the lay-out with the palm tree.
also….
I have to show you tonight's sunset…what a beauty!

...and, speaking of ART and Beauty check out the Christmas Gift we ( Tiki-Shark Inc) got from Body Glove this year! HA!

Awesome! It came with a matching Night Light!!

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2014-12-23 00:28 ]

Mele Kalikimaka Tiki-Tribe!

A beautiful sunset this Christmas Eve in Kona…

Had a nice Christmas Party with some of my Big Island Ohana.

Had all the important Christmas things. Like a cute little dog dressed in a Santa suit.

A little kid getting Christmas Presents, (my adopted god-son )
He got cool stuff an 11 year old should get like a Limited edition Comicon Explosion Godzilla and a mini-surf board with some swank Tiki-Art on it.

It's always magical seeing Christmas through the eyes of a little kid.

Even had new swanky Tiki-Swag from Tiki-Shark ; like these. ( Watch http://www.tikishark.com for info. )

Later I took my sleigh through the snowy Hawaiian night to my art studio and worked on some Tiki-Art.

I re-worked some of my "A black Cat Crosses the Path of the Night Marchers" painting idea.
Even put brush to canvas.
A good Christmas eve!

ALOHA Tiki Tribe!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Getting ready for an art show this sunday night here in Kona. "The Spirit of Christmas Past" - Dec 28th, Sunday.

If you are in town, feel free to drop in!

I will reveal my latest painting - Well since it's SOLD, I'll have there #1 giclee on Canvas full size.
"Scardy Cat Meets the Ghost of Exotica"

I'm also gonna' have some new tiki-swag. Mini-Surf boards. I'll be hand retouching them up for sale in the Kona Oceanfront Gallery

Some fun stuff, much of it so new this will be the first time anyone's seen it for sale.

In my studio, I had a little help from a baby gecko who seemed to want nothing more than ride on my brush had while I was working. Funny little thing, so freaking tame!

I'm also working on another canvas: "A black Cat Crosses the Path of the Night Marchers"…. here it is so far…

More laters!

It's a good morning when I can log on and catch up on your artwork and activities.
I'm glad that we could see the rest of the words on the headline, I just don't see
you selling out. The tiki world couldn't stand that! Kids do make Christmas special
we had two at our celebration. I've been doing physical therapy because I too slouch
when doing my art work. In fact I do that when typing and I just had to remind myself
to sit up. Heath is important. I have a niece who teaches yoga, good choice.

Happy Holidays and thank you for the posts for us to enjoy, Wendy

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
THANKS Danlovestiki!
U RAWK!
https://www.facebook.com/events/1581341942097668/

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Hope you are having a good week-end, and a good after-Christmas-vacation. I gotta' Art show tomorrow (Sunday) .. always a tad nervous before an Art Show.
Even little shows put on by the Kona Oceanfront Gallery.
I'm the third night in a 3 man/3 night post X-mas art-event. Sunday, Dec 28th : "The Spirit of Christmas Past".

I'm Diggin' my "Diga Diga Doo" Coffee Mug that I get to show off for the first time at da' show.

Dig the Hand painted extra's I'm slapping' on ten Mini-surf boards for The "Spirit of Christmas Past" Art Show. -
Once in a while you getta' go way "Low-Brow" and "Kitschy" and pull out da' Glitter for a piece like the "Moon of Manakoora"!

…and I'll show off a full size Giclee on Canvas of my most recent painting (original is SOLD)

"Scardy Cat Meets the Ghost of Exotica"
24" x 30" acrylic on canvas.

Hope to see you tomorrow night if you're on da' island!
ALOHA!

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2014-12-27 20:45 ]

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

A really great show tonight in Kona, at my home town gallery. "The Spirit of Christmas Past" was a huge success. Much better than I was hoping for. Even had some heavy hitter local Art Patrons come in before the doors open to pick out a few choice original pieces - (which is the first time that happened to me at this gallery) - then when we opened, a crowded house all nigh, lots of signing
9even got too sign and doodle on a ukulele someone brought in - another first for me!), lots of photos, and many happy tiki-people. Thank you everyone who came out to the show. Big thanx to the Tiki-Tribe folks who told me how much my art meant to them at certain points in their lives - wow, really an honor to hear stories like that. And, of course, a huge mahalo to the great, wonderful folks who slapped down frog-skins and bought Art. From Calendars to originals, it's nice to have enough of a range of product to get something to match just about everyone's budget. Have 'em leaving the gallery with Tiki-Art in their hands and a smile on their face.

Here's a nice go pro shot of the calm before the storm.
BIG ALOHA!

All I have to say today is that it sure must be fun to be you! Congratulations on all the wonderful products that showcase your interesting and terrific tiki art. Wendy

Thank you again! U R so sweet, and always a great support…nice to hear monday morning…
check this out…I made the local news again, but in a good way,…
http://damontucker.com/2014/12/29/tiki-shark-packs-the-house/

Thanx again Brad!

your welcome Kona Kevin!
Aloha Tiki-Tribe!
The first Aloha Friday Night of 2015 - thought I'd spend it doing what I love most…makin' da' Tiki-Art!

Sorry for the mess my studio is in… but just had a art show in Kona, and am still putting things back in place… and…well my studio looks like this most the time to be honest! ( EEK! )

hang10tiki was at The Tiki's in Oahu yesterday. He posted photos on my thread here and then I saw your photos at the same place on fb. I wish you two had met up. He also went to La Mariana. He is with his wife Janelle. I really enjoy everyone's photos so much. Between fb and Tiki Central there's something fun every day. One other note: it was fun to see your photo minus the sun glasses. Cheers, Wendy

Wendy, so sorry to have missed out!
I was on Oahu 1 day only. 4 business meetings - whew! But any day in Waikiki is GREAT!
Best part was lunch with local ukulele wonder Aidan James. I got him booked to play at an event I have on the big Island in March.

Aloha

aloha Tiki Tribe!
working on a remark…

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Still working on a special re-mark….

Becoming an painting all it's own…

reworking many things that needed it…

This fully painting a giclee gave me an idea for a future art show.

Not in 2016. Too many pieces are already called out a& have requested material.
However, perhaps... if all goes well, and if "La Luz de Jesus Gallery" asks me back yet again. Two years after that I would do 13 more paintings.
But they would be different.
#1 would be a canvas 24" x 30" painted my usual way acrylic , 1 to 2 months.
Then, I'd have it photographed and made into a full sized giclee on canvas.
Then I'd paint on that Giclee for "Tiki Painting #2" for 1 to 2 months.
Then, photograph that and make another giclee on canvas, full size (24" x 30"), and I'd paint on that for 1 to 2 months to become "Tiki Painting #3"
…and so on until 13 Tiki paintings were done…and each would be ever evolving and be a more complex image created step by step, till by the end, 2 full years of work are on one 24" x 30" canvas (printed and painted).
Interesting, huh?
Maybe I'd call it "Thirteen Tikis".

I have to ask The curator of "La Luz" about it.

BUT... first, of course I gotta' paint the 2016 Tiki-Art show…. which I think will include my 5 new Token Tiki toy designs being created for K C Hawaii Inc. - drawings to finished factory made and then hand painted by me, Tiki figurines!

Wow Brad great idea on 1 painting with different variations! And as Robin would say "Holy Smokes" Brad! Your practically repainting a complete "Sea Witch" piece, AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU RAWK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Kona Kevin… I just think it might have an INSANE amount of detail by the time I get to version 10, like something out of H.P. Lovecraft, you'd loose your grip on reality when you look at Art THAT intense and detailed…. I hope…. Hmmmm just thinking about it...….or it could be a total mess… I dunno… Anyone care to throw out dibs on weather you would buy a Giclee on canvas that was painted on for a couple of months and if you'd feel you bought an original work of art or just a art print with more paint on it….

Is there a stage at this process where an artist' re-marque stops being a remarque and becomes an whole new piece of art?
If so, what is it?

Anyways….Here is a very elaborate remarque of Sea witch... SEA WITCH the remarque or the new version? hmmmmm….

You are up late. Oh so am I. Must be all the good looking art keeping us up. Thank you for sharing all your great news. Wendy

Thank you Wendy… I'm working on a painting of the "Night Marchers" and I find painting them during the witching hour helps get me in the mood!

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2015-01-14 02:50 ]

Happy Aloha Friday Tiki Tribe!

Tiki Cat Agrees!

Still working out the exact perspective of M.C. Esher's unending stairs.

I think the stairs are looking fairly good…I may still take out a few in the front.

More laters….

"You have not appropriated the Culture of Hawaii, the Culture of Hawaii has appropriated you."
K. Angel Pilago (Hawaiian Elder & my personal Yoda)
http://www.tikishark.com

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2015-01-18 20:32 ]

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Did a drawing of the light sources on the Night Marchers.

I thought it might be neat to have lava glowing at the bottom of the stone well-temple-thing the stairs are build on.
So we have
1.) the Sunset.
2.) the lava glow.
3.) I'm thinking that each night marcher will have some sort of item that will emit a light - like a torch, or a glowing torch-flower, flaming skull.etc…
all these light sources could be complex. So I gotta give this a little thought.

ALOHA!

Aloha tiki tribe, here's abetter pic of da study.

Awesome Brad! Love this especially!

On 2015-01-16 16:32, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
Happy Aloha Friday Tiki Tribe!

Tiki Cat Agrees!

Just a twist of that back foot to have it disappear and you would have looked as off kilter at the stairs. That's a wonderful photo as is the start of your painting.

Wendy

Aloha and thank you Tiki Tribe!
Doing some sunday morning painting on "A black cat crosses the Path of the Night Marchers".

Just getting the farthest back p[art of the sky in. I want to lay in some clouds over this after I blend it out to be less contest-y. While it's drying, ... now to work on the stone-work in the glowing "lava-pit" in the center of the mysterious stone structure with the "unending stairs" on top of it. This strange stone structure was built in one night by Menehuenes no doubt. There are sone structures strew across the big Island, most unfinished ruins…. the myth is the Menehuenes start to work on these things, and if they cannot finish in one night before the sunrises, they abandon it and never finish it. thus, explains all the old ruins!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
OK…now we start shading the stones..

I'm doing the Dar-to-light style of shading, and always trying to keep in mind the light sources.
Now there are two.
1 - the Sunset,
2 - the lava at the bottom to the mysterious structure build no doubt my Menehunes, yet designed by M.C. Escher.

More laters!

Wonderful step by steps. This is a really strange and wonderful painting. Wendy

AW YEAH Brad!
Tackling the masters and giving it a lil dose of Paradise!
This one's gonna be reeeeeeal good....

Been doing some subtle experiments around the concept of anamorphism
here's a link to a video about it by the Brothers Quay...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqsiLNxi4Sw&index=15&list=PLXwHgjVohS3h93FmcAZUW-osU0ezqDIwR
WHOOP!

Keep the mana flowing,Brother!

Aloha Tiki tribe!
Back from LA. Had a great trip!
Being in the big city got me all energized with dat big city-down-n-gritty RAWKin' art Scene vibe!

LA Mart showroom 504 showed my Tiki-Shark Swag…

Hung out with Billy Meistrell the owner of Body Glove, and saw the statue dedicated to his father & uncle - (the inventors of the neoprene-surfer wet-suit, plus were a couple of the first life guards in sol cal, and many, many, other dive and surfing hall of fame award thing-a-ma-bobs and such…

Bought stuff at the original DIVE N SURF store in Redondo beach, that's just been refurbished, turned into the BG world HQ (up stairs) …
but they have kept all the cool old memorabilia…

Think I got 'em to take on a TIKI tee-shirt design! more on dat later!

plus lots of swanky art.

Great shop - ya' gotta check it out! Da' Greatest Surf-Shop in da' USA! (I'm a-thinking' )
Anyways, saw my lea LA Sunset….

Now headed back to da' Volcanic island I call my digs!
Can't wait to catch up on some TIKI Art!
Be it ever erupting…there's no place like home.

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

Ah…. my first sunset back on da' Island!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Oh almost forgot the coolest part of my trip to the big city…. I went to the Don the Beach Combers in Huntington Beach, and at the Marketplace I gotta' see some Cool Cats and Kittens, and I totally SCORED on some awesome Tiki Swag!

Dig this "Lo Pan" (aka actor extraordinaire James Hong) Tiki Mug by the awesome "BOO-TIKI". I was so pleased to place it in a spot of great honor and respect, (guarded by dragons no less) on a shelf in my art studio - yep dats' an autographed photo of Mista' Hong in the Background…. (...and yes, I am a total film-nerd-fan-boy for the movie "Big Trouble in Little China". )
Sweet INDEED!!!!!
Big Mahalo to my Art Agent for nabbing that treasure, "Mahalo-Tiki" for telling him I had my eye on it, and to "Boo-Tiki" for creating it's awesomeness!!

Laters!!

Brad (Tiki-Shark) Parker
http://www.tikishark.com
"You have not appropriated the Culture of Hawaii, the Culture of Hawaii has appropriated you."
K. Angel Pilago (Hawaiian Elder & my personal Yoda)

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2015-01-27 21:13 ]

I'm behind and catching up on your fabulous life. I was sorry to miss you at Don's, at least I was lucky that one time.
How's the stairway painting coming? Designing a T-shirt sounds fun and I look forward to the final project. What a beautiful sunset.

Well I better get back to work/play, Wendy

Thanx Dan Loves Tikis - lots going on. The trip to L.A. was good. N' Don the Beach Comber was a hoot - that place is ALWAYS fun!
When I got back to da' island, I had a 3 day design and building EXPO here in Kona on the big Island and sold a bunch of Tiki Art. Seems like lots of local folks now know who I am , and I even got interviewed by the local radio station, and talked about TIKI ART.
Here's that interview:
https://soundcloud.com/keithvachon/feb_07_2015-001

I sold lots of TIKI ART, but had some cool hand re-touched up (highlighted ) prints left over. Check out da' Market place if you like stuff like that and have a need of such in your home Tiki Bar!

On the back is a swanky Certificate of Authenticity.

Talks about where I got the title "The Moon of Manakoora" - the flick from 1937 & Dorothy Lamour.
I tried working on the NIGHT MARCHERS / BLACK CAT painting at the EXPO, but spent most of the time talking to folks, and not really painting.

Laters, though we took a drive by the local K-MART and we saw they were selling my TIKI CAT Towels!
Wow, that's so freaky seeing my art out i the main stream … don't know if I'll EVER get used to that!!

Big Aloha!
B Parker~

I like to watch Shark Tank. When your art/product makes it to Wallmart you've really got it going. Congratulations. This is so much fun to watch you work and move out from the island to the mainstream. Very cool. Wendy

PS that photo rocks

Thanks Wendy!
It's all still very new and …ah…strange. Ya never know how things will work out till the stores RE-order. That's always important, as long as things sell, and they want more. But,
that's a year away or so, till we see all that paper work and like that, so we shall see. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for this season, and hope things go well, and maybe I can make a couple of bucks. Anyways…….

Aloha Tiki Tribe!!

The Beach Towels and stuff helps pay the rent while I work on REAL Tiki-Art for my next art show at La Luz... in 2016.
Here's how that is coming along…

"A Black Cat Crosses the Path of the Night Marchers" - acrylic on canvas - I'm working the shading on the Rock structure that the Menehunes no doubt for the Night Marchers, and trying to get a nice shading effect.

I'd like to also get a "Lava Rock" texture going…so lots more work to do.

More Laters!
ALOHA!

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!
Working on my newest...
"A BLACK CAT CROSSES THE PATH OF THE NIGHT MARCHERS"
Boy that's a heck of a long title, I know. There a big 'ol story behind it. let me give you the shortest version I can: a friends told me her house sits on a "path" of the night Marchers "ancient Hawaiian Ghosts that march across the islands - dangerous if you get caught up in their march, kind of like the wild hunt in England and Ireland."
We talk-story at her house, long after dinner, telling "chicken skin stories ( or ghost stories) a major past time here in Hawaii.
I went home and had a dream about Night-Marchers, and woke up wondering what would happen if a Black Cat crossed their path?
I knew I had to make a painting out of it, so I drew several sketches. Then started a canvas.

Right now I'm deciding on sources of light. 1 - the sunset. 2 - the lava tube which must be below the stone structure the very M.C. Escher "endless path-way" is on.

Right now I'm really getting into the texture of the rocks, maybe make some more "lava-rock" like, maybe have some with prehistoric glyphs itched into them.
Right now it's enough work to make them look like rocks, with a light source coming from one direction.
Since the sunset is red, and the lava is also warm those lights are "WARM" light, making all the shadow "COOL" in color/tone.
If the light source had been a Moon, that would make a "cool" light and I'd make the shadows "Warm" - always the light and the shadows are the opposite of each other.
I learned all that from Saint Tim Hildebrandt and his wonderful book on painting.

~more laters!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Hope you all had a great HAPPY ALOHA FRIDAY!

That was from my evening walk last night…

in da' studio:
Black Cat and the Night Marchers STILL being worked out.
I know , rocks rocks and rocks! My agent is dumb founded as to how long I am working on getting the rocks just right. But, I say, everything has to be perfect, or it won't …"work". I know, it's hard to explain. I seem to paint by my gut feelings.

Here's a closer look, I'm getting happy with it.

The glow-from-below will highlight a night marcher figure.
Here's a sketch for that one…

and a closer look

each Night marcher seems to be evolving on it's own swell.

This is gonna take a while to finish.
So, I don't burn pout, or go off on a wrong direction, I'm starting a few other pieces,.
A Commission.
My most popular piece seems to be Tiki Cat. so I finally am doing a mate piece "Tiki Dog"
here's a sketch:

This is a real dog, his name is "Kahu"… I had a dog like this when I was a kid. I think she was my first "love".
so this should be a great painting to work on. for many reasons, now to see if I can make it as iconic and as
perfect as "Tiki CAT"!

Also...
Working on a few new studies for some other new paintings.
Patrons got so excited about Tiki -Dog, but were unhappy there was going to be only one original , so I thought about this...
This is "TIKI PUPPY" or "TIKI-PUP"
pencil study #1

that's all for now…laters!!!

Aloha tiki tribe!
Working on the night marchers…this is gonna be a LOT of work to get right.

Sketch…

sketch…

first laying down of acrylic on da' endless stairs… I see all the things that need adjusting and fixing…like..EVERYTHING right now! sheesh!
Think I will HAVE TO jump around on a few paintings to make sure I don't get too stuck in this monster too deep to see what I'm doing and just waste time & spin my wheels.
This will be a 6 month project EASY with other paintings like "Tiki Dog" being done at the same time.
That should keep me from being over come by the dark magic's o' da' Night Marchers - and get them down on canvas with all the feeling and respect they require…

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2015-02-22 12:43 ]

Seeing how you do it is really impressive. I watch your posts on fb and sometimes forget to check here. Tiki Central is so much better with all the posts connected. This is the strangest creation ever and I mean that in a good way. Wendy

Seeing how well you're progressing thru this piece is quite impressive,old chum!
All of the technical,lighting,and textural challenges are gonna seem daunting,
but your brains and skills and heart will jump hurdles over them all...
and when it's finished,you'll have all those skills stored in the ol noggin!
No wonder you had to sidetrack into pups for a few!
And mahalo for sharing your sketches
Always a treat to peek into the processes of fellow art brothers!
Such excellence here!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Thanks Kenny! Yeah, this is a really cool painting, and it's gonna take a really cool amount of time and effort to get just-right!
I still feel great about it, but I had been distracted putting together this big "Book signing event" and "Free Concert" here on Kona!
This painting was a vision that came to me in a dream… recently a giant stone tiki head whispered another great idea to me….

"THE MYSTERY OF THE GIANT WHISPERING STONE TIKI HEAD!"

Yeah, thats me and Teen Musician Sensation Aidan James climbing over the breakfast buffet at Don the Beachcombers in Kailua-Kona to hear it's whispering secrets!

The TIKI said work with mystery author S.P. Grogan and make a Tiki-Noir adventure novel with lots of your art in it… limited edition Hard cover.

Then, when the book comes out, invite the whole island, (and just about everyone else) to come to Kona for a big Book signing event!

Then, hire that 13 year old ukulele player and singer you met at the Small Business Expo in Washington DC last year….

Have the bar make a special drink" "The Atomic Zombie"!
and sell bunches of Tiki Swag at the resort and at the Kona Oceanfront Art Gallery!

That, of course, leads to getting in the News paper (because this is an island in the middle of no-where , and nothing ever happens here…)

IT actually made the Front page! ...of the ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT section!
Yipee ! Tiki is front page news!
http://westhawaiitoday.com/news/local-features/teen-sensation-aidan-james-makes-kona-debut-book-signing

Lots of fun this week end!
Then…back to making da' tiki art next week!

I don't think anyone has more fun than you! Keep on creating. Wendy

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
It's TIKI-TUESDAY!
That being That - here's a tantalizing look at some Low-Brow Tiki-Art:

a color study of "Scardy Cat" from my mystic Tiki painting # 67:

"Scardy Cat Meets the Ghost of Exotica".

Have a good one!

ALOHA!

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2015-03-10 04:48 ]

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Whew!
That was a LOT of freakin' work! I may be getting too old for this stuff! Oh well, it was fun! And …I just had a really cool dream about a new Tiki Painting! (maybe the tiki gods were pleased and sent me a reward?!)
…anyways I made the local news again! Check it out.
http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2015/03/12/video-atomic-dreams-at-the-red-tiki-lounge-book-signing/

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2015-03-14 15:23 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4327 replies