Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

The Lurid low-brow Tiki-Art of Brad (tiki-shark) Parker

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4,327 replies

ALOHA Tiki Tribe!

When the sun starts to drop into the Pacific I get a incredible double sun effect from the glare off the ocean. The double-sun hits my art studio with all that solar energy and heats up my tin roofed shack like an oven. Today it was so hot that my agent walked in and thought I had left the oven on or something. It was blazing inside, yet nice out side. More than usual… strange! So hot I couldn't work, or even think. A lot of places in Hawaii are built cheaply and have no insulation at all, like this joint for instance. I had to wait for the sun to dip into the water before the place cooled down.

So, great I start making some art… and because of all the thunder storms that have been sweeping over the islands, it's been extra wet, creating extra bug infestation. Now I'm being swarmed! AHHH!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Well, as requested I am posting more step by step process shots.
I am working on a huge epic piece - huge in scope, and idea, the canvas isn't THAT big. 30" by 40". (I usually work 24" x 30").
This painting came to me in a dream. I was over a friend's house for dinner. She told me her house was built on the path of the "Night Marchers".
The Night Marchers are a local Legend about a ghostly procession of ancient Hawaiian Spirits that march across the islands at night.
Much like the Wild Hunt in England and Ireland, you do not want to be caught in their path. It's considered Very Bad Luck. So, my friend told me she had to take
certain precautions to protect her from invading spirits.
The main part of this was a huge and striking portrait of the Volcano Goddess PELE in her entry way.
I asked about the painting, and that's what brought up the whole topic. Anyways, later I go home with this thought bouncing around my head and I have a dream about it.
I don't recall the whole dream, just pieces. Being in her house. Knowing, and hearing the Night Marchers coming.
THEN… in some weird Low-Brow twist the thought pops up "What happens if another form of Bad Luck intersects with the Night Marcher's path?
Like… a Black Cat Crossing your path, or in this case What would happen if "A Black Cat Crossed the Path of the Night Marchers"?
I wake up,
...and think, wow, that's one weird, Low-Brow idea!
Long ago, another friend who is a writer told me he keeps a pad next to his bed as most of his best and strangest story ideas come to him in dreams,
and he immediately writes them down before they disappear the way dreams do.
I grab my sketch book and scrawl down as much as I can recall.

I started painting this a while ago, but have had a lot of commercial work stop it's progress. However now is the time to focus and finish it.
The Night Marchers "path" is based on M.C. Esher's "Ascending and Descending" lithograph of the un-ending stairway.
I am seeking to make this structure look like it was built out of Lava rock by the Menehunes.
I got stuck for a while on just what the Night Marchers would look like. I choose a "Tiki-fied" skeleton.

But I think each Marcher will look slightly different. They carry glowing "Torch flowers" which grow in abundance here on the Big Island.

Now I'm working on placement of each Marcher on the stairs.

This one will be starting up the stars closest to the viewer. Looking down at the Black Cat crossing his path.
I'm starting them all as sketches of just Skeletons, and bringing in the "Tiki" as I go.

More Laters!

N

Hello . I love your thread. You have worked very hard to improve your skills. Lol! I think that is the correct way to describe your art.
People tell me often that i have talent. TALENT! I dont have talent i worked my ass off for many years. Some people are just born with talent. I diffinitley was not. I guess i do have a talent for surrounding my self with great artist. . So i guess i do have talent. I just wanted to let you know i appriciate your paintings drawings and sculpting mugs.. I am a carver but made a decision to start painting with acrylic. I have never painted yet but i want to start because carving every day is taking a tole on me. I cant wait to start. I am just behind on tiki carvings for my first art show. Thank you for sharing your craft on Tiki Central its very inspiring

K

nicework, I totally commiserate with your sentiment.

[ Edited by: komohana 2015-10-07 18:25 ]

N

thanks

[ Edited by: nicework 2015-10-07 06:57 ]

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!

nicework - Good Luck! I didn't start painting till about 8 years or so ago.

Varoom!

N

Tiki shark thank you for the hope!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

nicework, hey no worries! I think of Tiki Central like a big virtual Artist's Studio, where we can look over what our fellow artist's are working on. Like I always like watching Big Toe and Ken Ruzic and many others. Very inspirational! It's how I got started.

Here's a more finished study for the night marcher near the Black Cat.

Ghost Squids? Yep! Had this visual idea of floating glowing squids ringing a night Marcher.
What do ya think?
Still working on it, more to come…

R

Brad...the squids are cool but you would probably be committed to them. I think that they would have to either be in other parts of the painting or there would need to be similar floating "ghost" figures in other places in the painting to balance it out. The idea of the marchers walking on the never ending stairs with other "companion" spirits following...like some sort of surreal, never ending procession works with what you've done so far I would think....just threw it out here since you were asking.

RVICTOR ~ Excellent point. I will carefully consider these floating ghost squids. The sketch they came from is an entirely different composition. Is of a single figure floating in the ocean at an unknown death, surrounded by these floating glowing ghost-squids. A very different picture indeed. However, if each marcher, like you suggest, has a trailing minor minion spirit, or spirits, it might give the painting a more original and strange appeal.

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!

Happy October 11th…
in the spirit of the season I'm putting up a creature design I did for a friend who wrote and directed a low-budget horror film. Ryan, my friend is a great story teller by nature, and when he showed me a script he wrote for a small budget flick, I was thrilled by how down right scary it was. He had researched a real phenomenon, talked to people who had explored it and discovered some really weird stuff. Then, he wrote his story. It's about EVP - "ghost voices" you can actually record in empty rooms. People's voices appearing on an audio tape where no one should be.
In true Ryan fashion, he told me an absolutely hair-raising tale of something that happened to him during his research with a university professor who was exploring EVP but stopped all research when things got... too dangerous.

The film's called TRACE.
After I read his script, I offered to use all my official Hollywood Union (Local 790) "Senior Production Artist" skills and design him a creature... for free, and that would met his budget (which pretty much was nothing) or try to come as close as I could. Ryan was extremely happy with the design, and the studio he was working with loved it. In fact, it helped them decide to "Green Light" his film. Ryan got to make his movie, and after many harrowing months, it's about to be released to the public.

TRACE will be released this month exclusively for rent on RED BOX - which for someone's first film is pretty cool. Ryan's happy he got any official distribution at all, and he's also somewhat wiser about the job and life of a film maker.

I have not seen the finished film. I have no idea how the TRACE Demon will look in the final film. I think Ryan said they were so broke they could not get the horns right so he may just be bald. Wan-ta ' know? Get to a RED-BOX on October 27th and rent TRACE and find out. If it's even just the story I read in the script it will be a darned creepy ride, and a fun Halloween treat.

Here, submitted for your October Tiki-Tribe approval is the first concept art for the EVP TRACE Demon, (before anyone else gets to see it! Hey, Tiki Central does have it's perks!)

Oh Jeepers Creepers! THIS JUST IN! …., my friend Ryan, just sent me a link to the TRACE Trailer on you-tube! OKAY, TIKI-TRIBE… Give this "Chicken Skin Story" an Eye-Ball!! http://youtu.be/850X3mO3MtI

ALOHA!

Brad "Tiki-Shark" Parker

tikishark.com
ALOHA, RAWK ON, & Be MOST EXCELLENT to Each Other!

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2015-10-12 18:46 ]

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!

Well I went to bed a while ago, but awoke and could not go back to sleep. I was thinking about my current painting. Something was wrong… something was off and was bothering me to no end. And allowing me no sleep.

Here it is, still lots of work needed.
However, I had really focused and got the sunset just as I wanted, with it's funky squiggly clouds. This part feels right to me. No compromise I just worked on it till I got it right.
Not so, did I feel about the "Lava Rock Structure" the Night Marchers will be marching on.
It's all wonky. I thought a sort of warped twisted structure would be better and more looking like it was built by the Menehunes in one night. But, instead it just looked sloppy. Wrong.

I went back and studied the Lithograph by M.C. Escher: "Ascending and Descending". It is the unending stairs I wanted the Night Marchers to be marching on. M.C. Escher's is perfect not sloppy. It's geometry is perfect. It's perspective drawing is perfect.
It hit me.
To make this right, and to make it feel right & look right to me I was going to have to do a MAJOR re-paint of this structure.

"Confucamus!" I cursed - like MAD MAX in "Fury Road" - ( by the way the one curse word in "MADMAX Fury Road" is Latin. It roughly translates to "F¥@K all of this!" or "We are all so F¥©Ked!" )
There's No getting around this. It was going to have to be the HARD WAY, and a lot of work. I gotta' start from scratch- redraw the Lava Rock Stairs - and totally repaint them.
Leaving just the sky, the sunset, and Diamond head alone. No compromise.
With time ticking away, my Art show less then one year away, ( I got about 8 months to paint) I had to take a few steps backwards and correct this major painting. I felt slightly sick.

This is an epic piece about one of the best local legends, and it has to be done exactly right, with dignity, beauty, - as best as I can. As close to what I saw in my dream.
I started sketching in the middle of the night.

This drawing came out.
It's straighter.
Feels better.
I got the palm tree growing through the lava rock at a better angle, finally figured out.
Now I know where the palm leaves are going.
Plus, I added in four TIKIS - one at each corner.
Very good!
Now it's 4 AM.
More work tomorrow, wish me luck!

[ Edited by: tiki shark art 2015-10-12 17:27 ]

Aloha Tiki Tribe~

The new Stone Stairway with no end. AND Four New Tikis Added! ( Yipee!)

Re-paint started…

Tonight's sunset

Was very…

Beautiful …and purple!

More to come...

[ Edited by: tiki shark art 2015-10-13 18:50 ]

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!
Remember when I was telling you about my friend's low-budget horror movie called "TRACE". He showed me his script, hoping that I would design the "demon" creature as he knew I was trained as a "Senior Production Artist" in the Hollywood Union (local 790) as well as a story board artist - but he had no budget and was wishing I'd do it because we were friends, and I thought it was cool. Well, ... I did.

"TRACE" is the film's name.
He made his movie. It comes out exclusively through RED BOX rentals Oct 27th, (just in time for Halloween).

What I didn't know is Ryan had also made a short film to help get a studio interested in his project. He did that too. It's incredibly spooky, and you can watch it for FREE on line at this link. I would rate this short "R" for language but nothing else, so mind the little tiki goblins with big ears being around if you watch it. Ryan told me to "Watch it alone in the dark with head phones on".
I offer it too you as a Tiki Tribe Halloween Treat. It's on VIMEO- the place for Free art movies on-line.
https://vimeo.com/142438558
The short film is called "Case 127".

If you watch the short film, I bet you can tell exactly where my demon design is needed.

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2015-10-18 13:36 ]

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

12 Days till Halloween!

Been a busy month!
Just got back from Honolulu, did a photo shoot there with Hawaiian Musician Aidan James (he's playing at a "Sam Choy/Tiki Shark" Event in Nov & at opening night of my TIKI-Art show next July 2016 at "La Luz de Jesus Gallery")

...and Hawaiian Celebrity "Tiki-Chef" Sam Choy (he's been awarded the James Beard Foundation Award for the creation and world wide promotion of "Hawaiian Regional Cuisine" - basically the food served in all Tiki Restaurants!)

Here's Sam goofing around at my local Art Gallery in Kona. They always like to put up the Monsters in Hawaii Art prints this time o the year.
So I had a special limited edition set made up; Museum quality, giclee on canvas, 24" x 30". Very Swanky!!

Had a little time to keep up my work on the designs of the "night-marchers" for the current painting.

Hope to show you a lot more work on these guys soon!
And just got another "ART BOOK" in the mail.

Wow! Holy freakin' WOW! If all film projects were as well done as "MADMAX Fury Road" I'd still be a Hollywood Union (local 790) Senior production and Story-board Artist! Unfortunately, they are not. You gotta work on many many less exciting projects (like under arm deodorant commercials) between the highlights like a film this cool!

Big Aloha and Laters!

I read from top to bottom. What great entertainment for free!!!
Best wishes for your re-do. I love the addition of the tiki poles.
The movie creature is really creepy. I hope to never run into him.

Cheers, Wendy

Thanks Wendy !
Aloha Tiki Tribe!

O-boy…. the best part of this MONDAY….sunset!

On 2015-10-11 20:09, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
... He had researched a real phenomenon, talked to people who had explored it and discovered some really weird stuff. Then, he wrote his story. It's about EVP - "ghost voices" you can actually record in empty rooms. People's voices appearing on an audio tape where no one should be.
In true Ryan fashion, he told me an absolutely hair-raising tale of something that happened to him during his research with a university professor who was exploring EVP but stopped all research when things got... too dangerous.

Also known as Raudive Recordings! Fun stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konstant%C4%ABns_Raudive

I have a cd of EVP recordings.
http://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Ghost-Orchid-An-Introduction-To-EVP/master/172735

It's often considered a form of auditory pareidolia, nevertheless still fascinating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia

Please expound on what happened to your friend while he was doing EVP research!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

11 more days till Halloween!

"Please expound on what happened to your friend while he was doing EVP research!"
Hakalugi, I would be happy to.

The Scariest thing about this movie, TRACE, is it's based on a real phenomenon. The research Ryan ( the film maker) did led him to a terrifying night. Ryan is an old friend, and is always great for a "Talk Story" session. He told me all this one night as we sat on his front porch in Hollywood. Ryan said that while doing research for a new film project, he found a University professor who had been researching this EVP thing. Contacted him. He traveled to meet him, and was invited into his house. After much talk, the professor reluctantly took Ryan down into the basement, to an audio room with a safe that held the final audio tapes of the professor's research. The Professor told Ryan he wouldn't let anyone take the tapes, or duplicate them, and he was thinking about destroying them. However, if he wished, Ryan was welcome to listen to them, in the basement audio room, but the professor didn't ever want to hear them again and wouldn't stay. So…there Ryan was, in a rather dark basement, listening to a tape of "ghost voices" that had frightened the professor so badly it stopped him from continuing his research. The reason he stopped the research the Professor said, was that he believed he had contacted an intelligence, but it was very malevolent. That to continue would put himself, and his family, in personal danger. Because, after much back and forth Q & A's with what seemed to be the same "voice"…the voice started naming the Professor's family members. So he stopped.

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2015-10-20 15:48 ]

Aloha Tiki Tribe~
Too much going on! Working on my day job, can't work on the painting much right now, but gotta keep squeezing in time on it as I can.

A sketch of the on going creation of the "Night Marchers painting"

Sketch of another "Night Marcher" - I think there will seven.

Tonight's Sunset...

H

On 2015-10-20 15:43, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
... Because, after much back and forth Q & A's with what seemed to be the same "voice"…the voice started naming the Professor's family members. So he stopped.

Aaach! Sounds like a very good reason for him to stop! Thanks for sharing this.

R

Brad - just catching up with your work. I have to say i really was surprized with the new direction for the night marchers. Your redesign was almost immediately recognized as more settling composition my humble opinion. Your intuition is right on...the Esher parallel should be more true to form. Wow...I really like watching this evolve.

H

I still can't get over that "demon" creature, love it.

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!

Thank you for all the kind words!
Hakalugi, yes, if you watch the final film you will see how Ryan used exactly this spooky point in the film.
RVICTOR, Thank you so much! Yes, I am much happier with the more ESCHER-true version. It helps convey the optical illusion.

As a matter of fact I think I saw a need to move the left stairs a "schooch" to the right.
Yeah, looking at it again tonight, I have to take the stairs on the left and "schooch" them to the right, no photo-shop here . This is gotta' be done the hard way, blood, brush, & tears!

….many tears, falling like a tropical rain!
M.C. Escher knew what he was doing, that's for sure! A genius!

His comments on his unending stair case are a bit funny as he alludes how it's like "LIFE" people climbing one step at a time, for ever and ever, but really never getting any where at all! He claims it was such a depressing Piece! HA! We creative types are all nuts!
Wow, he missed his own marvelous optical skills of magical amazement it conveyed to flower children of the 60's who really made his work popular - much to his surprise! "Hippies are looking at, and enjoying my work! E-Gad!, not hippies!" I heard M.C. Escher was not a fan of the Love Generation.
hiltiki, Thanks! Yeah, it was a creepy creature, and a fun project. One I was happy to help my friend out with. I still am anxious to see how it came out in the final film. It you watch the short film "Case 127" you'll find out exactly where they would have the Demon appear. the full length feature is a more filled out story of that short film.

Well, 10 days till Halloween!
Here's Treat #10.) A new pencil study for the Night Marchers Painting.

This ones marching up the left stairs.

"A Black Cat Crosses the Path of the Night Marchers." is the working title. ( I know, WAY long!)

This is a study for the next night marcher to the left, coming up the stairs behind the Marcher who sees the Black Cat…

This Tiki Head is an idea of how I'd "Tiki-Fy" the Skull on this Night Marching skeleton. I think there will be room for seven Marchers.
If I can squeeze one more Night Marcher in, I'll have one Night Marcher for each of the (major) Islands in Hawaii…
hmmm… I guess that's just too good to not make happen, right!?

MEANWHILE, in the "Bat-Tiki-Cave"… I was shown some new tech for the next "Bat-Tiki X5!"

Speaking of seeing things in da' night… It was a demo of the next "Bat-Tiki X-5" new swanky ultra-cool-feature :

"TIKI-Ghost-o'-Vision!"
( or "Night-Vision" if ya' wanna' be proper n' Less Comic-book & Low-Brow about it, but who wants that? )
OK, I'm sold... (again) I''ll get another one, but it's gotta' be Tiki-Black ….It's on-order!

Tonight's pumpkin colored sunset!
Thanks and Mahalo!

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2015-10-23 03:59 ]

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!

Hey, you remember when I woke up in the middle of the night and had to run to my studio cause I suddenly knew what was wrong with my "A Black Cat Crosses the Path of the Night Marchers" painting? (yeah, that's just a working title I will have something shorter by the time it's done… I hope). WELL sir, it happened again! This time it was over this Skate board. I painted one miss printed board, it came out great …

Well I had another one. I had an Idea how to repaint it, but as soon as I started, I knew it just wasn't going to work. I hung it back up on my studio wall, and there it dangled. Unfinished. Then, early just as the morning sun was a glimmer over the Volcanic Peak of the island, I was suddenly wide awake I knew what I needed to do to that second Skate board.
It's another miss-print & is too dark. So, I had painted out everything but the tiki, which itself will be repainted.

It's going to be about a very brightly glowing skull at the tiki's feet. That will give the tiki a eerie under-lighting (that kind of lighting I LOVE on a tiki). I sort of knew this was what I wanted instead of what I had started. It was going to be a re-do of the "Glowing Skull" image that was lost. Explain? OK.

I painted a canvas , long ago with a tiki that had a glowing skull at it's feet. It sold to an Art collector who lived way over on the other side of the island, The wet side, below Pahoa Town, in the jungle close to where the lava flows - this guy got the old joint cheap (!)

This painting was like the 5th Acrylic painting I had ever done. It was stolen out of his house, never to be seen again. It was an early piece and had never been professionally photographed so there are no giclee art prints of it. I wanted to recreate this cool idea. But I didn't know what to do with the rest of the board. It's a very tall narrow space, too small for the big sunset of the "Glowing Skull Mystic Tiki #5 painting. I need something…with texture… I scrawled out this:

Skulls! This is about a magical mystical glowing skull, perhaps the tiki is in a whole cave of skulls on an remote mysterious island some-wheres?

"That's da' Ticket!"
Made sense to my inner "Low-Brow Art Muse", who looks exactly like Ron Perlman.
"Hey, I keep telling' da' kid: Paint Skulls, Hot-Rods & Tikis, they always work. But does he listen? Huh!"

I even grabbed a brush and started slapping some paint… Painted out what I had started.

Stared roughing in the first skull.

A very good Aloha Friday Morning!

Blown Away,Art-Brother!
Escher AND HArryhausen are smiling from the Great Beyond
as you have channelled them both in your night marchers piece!
Blood,Sweat,Tears,and Paint...
the Perfect Alchemical mixture for a Masterpiece!

The skull right above this post is DOIN IT!
it's got that ZING already!

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!

little lost tiki - Thanks so much! It's been exciting, fun, but also crazy! We've had a lot of rain, and at night My studio attracts swarms of gnats and teeny-tiny blood suckers! I have to fur up the fans to keep 'em "Blown away" but they are determined and crawl back to attack me! Only tie I ever had to spray insect repellent on me when I was indoors! Sheesh! Tropical Paradise!
Slapping a little more paint on the Skate board while I was having my blood taken by the little vampires!…

Rough in da' skulls…

Looks something lie this right now, I'm getting outa' here while still have a few pints left!

Here was tonight's sunset, when the vampires awoke!!!

EEEEK!!

Aloha TIKI Tribe!
So, Sunday's Paper came thumping on da' front lanai of the TIKI SHARK Studio, and in the center fold out Magazine called "at home" was a special feature on the ol' TIKI SHARK STUDIOS!

A photo on the table of Contents.

The feature's "creature"!

Da' Artist Making some Tiki Art about "Chef Sam Choy" - local Poke Hero.

Ha! I think this was photo number 138 or something, from the expression on my face!
"You get it? Can I put these down yet?"
It's me holding up the pro to types of some kitchen towels we are designing & making for "Chef Sam Choy's Hawaiian Kitchen Accessories" - the cool ones with the Honus and Tikis on them are not done yet, so couldn't show Those. Won't be out till Jan, but looks like they have a good chance of making it into a major store, like a Walmart, or a Target maybe, ...near you… fingers crossed!
No, it was great being in the local paper, again! One thing about liven' in a small town where not much happens, you can get in da' paper pretty easy!
And, they wrote a very nice article. Really glowing, and showing that "Tiki Culture" is alive and well and right here in a place that the tourist guide books call the " small sleepy fishing village of Kailua-Kona!"
Happy Halloween & ...ALOHA!

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2015-10-26 02:17 ]

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

I was looking at my sketch books, and started to put together my studies for the Night Marchers painting.
This is the epic painting I have been building up to doing…. ( I think! )
(… I hope! )

I made a special folder to put them in…

So many studies!

Some very rough, right out of a dream, scrawled in my sketch book.

Some more thought out, ...too thought out (?)

This marcher's look I keep coming back to as something I want to make all the way to the painted image…

Our new stairs, I feel much better about…

More..aquatic looking which is interesting…

That TIKI look and feel I really dig…

Tiki Marchers with glowing ghost squids, (that came from a mother dream)

An early stair - see, they WERE more straight. I knew I had gone off the rails.

This study of the sunset and clouds made me stop and really think about
how I was not getting all that I wanted, and re-think what I was doing.

Early study of how animated the Black Cat could be.

This was too busy!

Early and classic looking marcher study.

This made me think of my painting about the Menehunes
that only come out at night, and their description to me
by a Hawaiian friend, who's mother said she saw them when she was
a little girl, they were dancing round a fire on the beach.

A fast cat study… how do you walk nonchalantly?

This drawing on the right will be his head.

Here I wondered should they all carry only Torch Flowers? Maybe some could have
magical weapons - I was reading some tales of legends of such things.

A test of a tiki headed skeleton, with notes on what should
happen to his feet.
Night Marchers, or ghosts in Hawaii, are often are described as having no feet touching the ground.
But I need feet for the unending stairs to work,
...so should I use a translucent look, a blue color?

My most recent skeleton study.

A lot of work and thought into this one! Thanks for coming along the ride.
I've been distracted by many $ making projects, so want to focus and get more
organized on this wonderful painting that still gets me excited when I think about it.

big Mahalo and ALOHA!

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!

Wow, what a day!

I just spent a good part of the day with a photographer, named Jay from "Hana Hou! Magazine" ( the in-flight Magazine of Hawaiian Air-Lines).

Great guy! He really worked to get some swanky shots. One, he took, was extremely cool - a photo of me down at the beach... right at Sunset. He used a strobe to light a back-lighted subject.
Jeepers Creepers! I think it made me look as cool as "Tom Waits" ...in a Rolling Stone spread!
( SO, Yeah, ...It didn't look a thing like me! But really COOL! HA! )
Wow! I couldn't dream of better!
Boy, hope that one comes out n' da' Magazine!

LATERS!

Your posts are my Halloween candy! I love the glowing skull painting.
Another magazine, you must have a wall of articles printed by now. Very cool.
Wendy

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!
Bela Lugosi sez "The TIKI- Gods demand n' X-treme Halloween Special!!!"

Check out the TIKI Market Place for…

my Tiki-X-Treme HALLOWEEN SPECIAL!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN AND ALOHA!

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2015-10-31 02:21 ]

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE & HAPPY HALL-O-WEEN!
HOPE U HAD A GOOD HALLOWEEN!
I donated some Tiki-Art to the "Hawaii Island Humane Society": it might be part of a raffle, or it's the first place prize in the Doggie Halloween Costume Parade!!

Got an E-mail card form a ol' Movie director I made the film JEEPERS CREEPERS with!

Great fun! From Script writing to production design, story boards, props, creature design, and even shooting in the swamps of Florida on hot August!
It was like going to summer "Monster Movie Camp" - Huge Fun and the Worst ordeal I've ever been through all at once! Wow!

I watched a HORROR MOVIE my friend made ( his first film ever! ), it's called: "TRACE" - released on REDBOX. not bad exposure for his first film. Plus, the Movie Scared the Bee-Jesus outa' me! Sheesh! Good Job, Ryan!
Now making some Tiki-Art and watching DVDS on in the Background of my studio:
Here's my Halloween Movie List:
HALLOWEEN MOVIES:

1. Hall-o-ween - ( John Carpenter Classic )
  2. Hellboy - ( Halloween scenes & devils anti-hero vs Lovecraftian- Zombie Ninja-Nazi and other bad guys )
  3. Trick R' Treat - ( Halloween Tales from the Crypt)
  4. Hocus Pocus - ( Witch "Bette Midler" raises from the grave on Halloween )
  5. Sleepy Hallow - ( Halloween Scene)
  6. See you in Saint louie - ( Halloween Scene )
  7. Bell, Book, and Candle - ( 50's Hipster witches, the TV show "Bewitched" was based on movie )
  8. Pumpkin-head - ( Pumpkin-Patch Demon of Revenge / awesome "Stan Winston" Monster )
  9. Jeepers Creepers - ( hopefully with the deluxe "Behind the Peepers" making of…extras & me! )
    10.) The Crow - ( Takes place on Devil's Night )
  10. Season of the Witch - ( Medieval Knights vs the Black Witch )
  11. Seventh Son - ( Mystic Knights vs the Queen of Witches and her monstrous cohorts )
  12. Rocky Horror Picture Show - ( Of course! )
  13. Young Frankenstein - (funny Frankenstein fright-fest )
  14. Abbot & Costello Meet Frankenstein - (Best of the Best )
  15. The Evil Dead / Evil Dead Two - (demonic curse done with Sam Raimi action! )
  16. Brom Stoker's Dracula ( Awesome Count best movie portrayal )
  17. Drag me to Hell - (Witches curse done with Sam Raimi action! )
  18. Solomon Kane ( Swash Buckling Witch-Hunter Anti-Hero vs the armies of The Devil )
  19. I, Frankenstein - (The Frankenstein Monster as Action-Hero vs Demons & Gargoyles )

Did I miss any?
Oh, yeah, right now I put on

"Shadow Of the Vampire"
John Malkovich & Willem Defoe
A "What if.." story about the silent film "Nosferatu"
Except, now the Max Schreck is a REAL Vampire,
and he is in the film just to drink the blood of the leading lady, and the
director thinks he's making Great Art by filming a Real Vampire - which he must kill
in the final act before he kills the entire movie Cast & Crew!

All-In-All A GREAT Hall-O-Ween!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

A Hawaii-Ween Treat!
the traditional Water-Melon-O-Lantern!
ALOHA!

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!
I'm so happy with how the "Sam Choy Hawaiian Kitchen" Towels came out!

"The Choy of Towel Art!"
So, we showed these to Chef Sam Choy this morning at his restaurant. Sam just got in from Oahu, where he spent yesterday at the
Polynesian Cultural Center - they want him to open something there, and he told me he talked to them about my art. (Thanks Uncle Sam Choy!)
I could tell he was a little tired, but he was very happy with the towels - and he kept looking down at them during the meeting with our mainland
reps. and my agent Abbas (& me).

Sam knew what I was going for: that I was putting Tiki-Art & Polynesian Tattoo Art into Kitchen Accessories - which no one's ever tired before.
He liked it, the Reps liked it. So, next step is to get it in front of a bing chain buyer and see if THEY like it too. You might be able to go out to a
main-stream store near you (where ever you are) like a Targets, or a Macy's, ...or what ever, and buy these! ( One day… who knows?)

Remember the Ink drawing of Chef Sam Choy?

The Finished Ink Drawing of Chef Sam Choy cooking over the volcano, with the Tiki Bar in the foreground is now framed and in my local Gallery. It's got a custom St. Louis Burrell wood frame that looks like Lava. Now' it's at The Kona Oceanfront Gallery. Auction is this Friday. They are already talking bids. Partial proceeds will go to local charity. I hear it's
up to around 4.5 K! (wow!)

Big Mahalo to everyone who's helped on this project!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Well, only a day or so way for the big Chef Sam Choy ( the Tiki-Chef ) / Tiki-Shark event!

What ever happens, it's been a huge pleasure to work with such a great man. Chef Sam Choy is truly the Ambassador of Pacific Rim Cuisine ( and that includes being the Ambassador of ALOHA!) He's gotta' be one of the nicest guys I've ever met. It's been an honor to design for him.

I think we somehow created a great mix of Pacific Rim Cuisine and Tiki-Culture and it shows in the Hawaiian Kitchen Accessories.
I really hope this gets out into the world. It's another venue for folks to enjoy TIKI.

It's also great we are doing all this from this small town on this remote Island called Hawaii.… crazy fun stuff.

Big Aloha!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!~
We had da' big debut party of "The CHEF SAM CHOY HAWAIIAN KITCHEN" Accessories Line, has finally happened!

(Whew!) Glad that's over - it was FUN, but also a lot of WORK!
I hit a wall - could not SEE what I WANTED!

The ideas were not flowing…

My "Low-Brow Art Muse" was alluding me…

What was I missing?

The Mayor of the big Island, saw my first versions of designs, and said they did not say:
"SAM CHOY" or "the Island of HAWAII" or "Brad"Tiki-Shark" Parker"! I had to re-do them all!

Then I had my epiphany!

So then I decided to design them Not like Kitchen Towels, but like TATTOO ART!

My low brow - Tiki Tattoo designs started to work!

My crew of helper's and Ohana really made it happen. Could not have done it with out them!
We talked about it on the local morning radio with SAM CHOY, gallery owner MARK HANA and me.

Then, we did even MORE talking on MORE local radio with SAM, Ukulele playing singer Aidan James, and me.

Then Chef Sam Choy and me made it in the local NEWS PAPER at the same time!
Reps and buyers from all over the place - the islands, the state, the mainland, and over-seas, they all came to check it out!

Folks REALLY liked the "Tribal Tattoo" look of my designs.
Last I heard, the folks from the "ABC stores" in Hawaii, ...like it.
And, then I heard The K-MART buyers Really Liked the LINE, and, had bought the line FOR SURE! - and will sell it in K-MARTS all over!

Had a marketing meetings with my agent, and world champion Surfer Jamie O'brian, and me.

Things went really well after that! …

As the Sun Sinks into the Big Blue… you should be able to get them near you …ah …. soon!

All the fun continues with wonderful stories and photos. Thank you. Love the towels. I've always had a fondness for these tattoo styles. Good job, Wendy

ALOHA TIKI TRIBE!

Big Mahalo, Wendy.

Submitted for your approval...

T I K I - T O Y S
The prototypes for my new "Tiki Toys" fresh from the fine folks at KC HAWAII following my designs. The final products should reach the world about the time of my big TIKI ART show at La Luz de Jesus Gallery next July, 2016. There, I'll have for sale the original production sketches and drawings, as well as final product and limited editions hand painted by me.

BIG MAHALO!

R

The seal of approval for these fine products read "Awesome" and "Badass"...I'll take two of each.

R

The seal of approval for these fine products read "Awesome" and "Badass"...I'll take two of each.

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
thanks RVICTOR!

A group shot of the various TIKI-TOYS and the three sizes they will come in.
Things being worked on:
1.) spinning mechanism. Idea is you spin your "Lucky Tiki" and it whirls around and stops on one side or the other side. One side is "Pono" ( good) The other side is "Lolo" (crazy ) - this will be the toy's fortune telling feature. You luck today is gonna' be good, or …ah, not so good. Unpredictable we shall say.
2.) Paint. Green teeth? I think that's not right. Perhaps it seemed a good idea at the factory? Changing that to gold or light wood color. Not sure I really like that overly bright yellow either. I 'm gonna try to keep to a wood / tan and brown pallet.
3.) Spinning Mechanism - the tiki spins in the wrong place! It should be then top of the stand and the tiki that spins.

Well these things are all a part of getting anything manufactured. More on these little guys later.
I hope to have them ready for the world by next July, 2016. When I have an art show at La Luz de Jesus Gallery in LA. I'm showing / selling production art and designs - all the way through the creation process to finished product. Plus, a few sets of hand painted Tikis by me! I always wanted to show Toys as Art, now I finally get to do so.

Aloha Tiki Tribe!
Hope u had a great Turkey Day.

I was lucky and got some grub from my bud Tiki Chef Sam Choy.

Finished up some work for the local gallery.

Then Did a little Island Hopping to see family and Friends.

I've been working on an image in my head for a while - a Hawaiian Dragon. A Mo'o - of which there is a few myths, but no real description. Finally, while I was waiting in the lobby of a swanky hotel in Waikiki, it came to me!

I researched the Hawaiian Word for Dragon and found it applied to a few large beasties, one being a shark - so I mixed a dragon with a tiger shark.
This might work!

More laters!

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

HAPPY ALOHA FRIDAY!~

Paintin' a Skate Deck that was miss printed too dark. Is stead of wasting a beautiful maple deck, I chose to re-paint it with a new back ground, and I'm gonna re-paint the tiki with a new more "LURID" light scheme. This new paint job seems to have grabbed the public's interest as it got a record amount of "likes" in a short amount of time on places like FB and insta graham. Guess skulls are always popular with the counter culture crowd.

Aloha tiki Tribe!
Some sketches & studies for paintings for my big show next July 1st in LA…

Night Marcher.

Tiki vs Shark-Hydra

Tiger Shark Dragon Wrapped around a Tiki

Flying Tiger Shark Dragon

Bone Structure of a flying Tiger Shark Dragon

Aloha Tiki Tribe!

I have a Super-Special Tiki-Christmas wish…

That YOU find lots of Tiki-Shark SWAG under your Tree!

Don't jus sit there…go to the TIKI Marketplace and check out the swanky links I jus posted to get yer' tiki-Christmas SWAG!

Mele Kalikimaka!

Mele Kalikimaka Tiki Tribe!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4327 replies