Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

The Lurid low-brow Tiki-Art of Brad (tiki-shark) Parker

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4,327 replies

So....what Todd Schorr is saying is that an artist doesn't have to be well-read and literate in history and myth and literature,because the viewer ain't never gonna "get it" on that level...Is that what I'm hearing? True, the viewer always creates their own narrative,but the artist should take that and his knowledge and make a painting that appeals to both aspects of them... I think too many artists use mystery and cryptic symbols to confuse the narrative of a painting,because they themselves don't often know what they paint,only what appeals to them and is "cool".Art should be able to be digested by the masses,but should also have some solid reference for the continuation of an intelligent artistic interpretation....its place in Art History...Mystery is good,but you've been failing to tell us the REAL STORY behind this masterwork....Why are you all "Bush Administration" with the scoop?
Sorry...I felt like a Monday Morning rant...Any thoughts? :)

G
GROG posted on Mon, Apr 2, 2007 10:24 AM

Blah, blah, blah, blah. You missed Todd and Brad's point completely. D-

What were we talking about?
What was the point? :)

First off, I was told, by someone whom I've forgotten, that everything an artist draws or paints is actually a self portrait. So, I guess this is a painting of me. Beyond that, I know that all artist's are greatly effected by their surroundings. After I've moved here to the BI I've gotten a much better look at tropical plants. ( OK my palms trees need work, I know) And, obviously, the cruise ship is from looking out my window: four days out of the week one or another Cruise ship is anchored off Kona Bay. The puppy is a reference to the pet that the lady who commissioned the piece owns. She's an older lady and her life is all about that cute little dog, that barely ever touches the ground, cause she carries it everywhere. Even when she takes it for a walk. I guess, it's actually taking her for a walk then. The painting is called "The Tourist". It was meant as a double meaning. The first meaning is that the puppy is the tourist. It was brought to this tropical paradise by the cruise ship, visited a local exotic place, attended a luau, and it just chowed down in a major way. Everything a "tourist" wants on a vacation. The second meaning is more like "find the tourist in this picture" Well, there's the ship that brought the tourist, there's the exotic local the tourist visited, there's the tourist's dog, and... looks like the locals just had a big cook out of some sort and have all retired to the hut, while their local god watches the puppy clean up the scraps. Hmmm... that bone, looks a bit large for pig. Perhaps "Long Pig"? Well, where is that tourist? That is a mystery! ( and actually, now, I like Professor Grog's explanation better! ) Sorry Ken, I guess there is always gonna be different ways to interpret a painting, but that's the ideas that started the work. I can't actually say they are what it's about now that I've finished it (almost) . BUT, what Todd Schorr said made me think about the tikis and symbols in my paintings. I'm not painting traditional carved Hawaiian Ti'i. Not even close, nor do I want to try. I'm painting symbols from MY understood mythology - Americanized tikis that I saw growing up in the Midwest and California, and much later, the more traditional looking ones I saw in Hawaii. It takes a lot of pressure off me, I thought I had to be part historian on Hawaiian anthropology. Not really, I just have to interpret Hawaiian culture and the world as it sifts through the filter that is my brain, and down out my paint slingers. So the only thing I really have to do is keep slinging paint. Anyways, Let's just hope I can finish it today.......
Thanks for looking!

Hooray!
Finally a rational explanation for that piece!
Your take on the Tiki is totally valid! Polynesian Pop is what drew most of us mainlanders into Oceania! You nail that feeling and more in this piece! And you're totally spot on about some of the personal meanings placed onto objects in the paintings,and how they change and evolve as the piece progresses....Wouldn't mind seeing you tackle a scene/derive inspiration from an Island myth! Your ghost shark made an appearance in one of your earlier Mystic Tiki paintings,would be cool to continue that story! Hope you finish that one today! Then you can bask and relax for a few days while formulating the next eye-popper! :)

G
GROG posted on Mon, Apr 2, 2007 2:15 PM

GROG liked that the mystery to GROG was whether the little dog ate the tourist or whether the dog was the tourist's dog and the dog is staying with the bone, which is the last remnant of the tourist. Or the dog could even be just a local cute doggy that discovered the remnants of the tourist. Or the dog could BE the tourist and just came upon the remains of the pig/long pig from the luau that just finished. But, to GROG that puppy is just trying to be TOO DAMNED CUTE, so it is obviously trying to appear cute and innocent to hide something. Thus making the evil little dog the obvious killer of the poor tourist whose bone we see, which the dog has not yet disposed of. Any way you look at it, it's damned funny painting and well executed. As Bamboo Ben says, " BRAD ROCKS!!!".

Blah! Blah! Blah! GROG liked the mystery...Blah! Blah!
The real mystery is why hasn't anyone executed Ernie.... :lol:
Maybe the dog is gonna eat Ernie for his way-too-long diatribes!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Apr 2, 2007 2:26 PM

Way too long diatribes? This from a man who writes half a book on his own thread before he posts pictures of his artwork!!

Oh ya?
Well your momma!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Apr 2, 2007 2:33 PM

YOUR momma!!

:lol:

K

see, I thought the dog came upon the bone and realized that she was the next course for dinner!(with that look on her face~wide eyed and all)... that was the narrative as I see it anyway...
:lol:
K.

don't talk about my momma that way!

K

On 2007-04-02 14:33, GROG wrote:
YOUR momma!!

oh and GROG, don't be sayin' your momma, that's just not right....

it's "yo' momma!" (you sound too white bread the way you were doing it!)
K.

I guess sumbuddies momma is a bitc@!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Apr 2, 2007 3:05 PM

See, now Sneakytiki read right into the narrative suggested by the art without it having to be explained. Sneakytiki--A+

Looks like Sneakytiki is the Teacher's Pet!
here's an actual pic of School Marm GROG!

J

But where are the bubbles?

H
hewey posted on Mon, Apr 2, 2007 8:55 PM

First off, I was told, by someone whom I've forgotten, that everything an artist draws or paints is actually a self portrait. So, I guess this is a painting of me.

that puppy is just trying to be TOO DAMNED CUTE, so it is obviously trying to appear cute and innocent to hide something. Thus making the evil little dog the obvious killer of the poor tourist whose bone we see, which the dog has not yet disposed of.

hmmmm... so mate, what happened to those house guests?

:lol: :D

The coolest tiki art is not bought on ebay, it comes personally from my fellow artists on TC

[ Edited by: hewey 2007-04-02 20:57 ]

House guests? (urp!) er, What house guests?
Okay, enough of this, and now for a nice painting of a tribal big foot dude wearing a very large tiki hat...

Aloha!

Aloha TC~
Mystic tiki #10: "The Tourist"

finished.
Thanks for watching.
Aloha,

BRAVO!!!!
Thanks for taking us along on this journey! Great Painting! The patron who gets this is soooooooo fortunate! May you get as many commissions as years you live! Can't wait to see what pops up on this thread next!

TK

Your work really glows. You really got a thing going with lighting!
Awesome stuff!
Cheers!
T.K.

Very cool painting Mr. Shark, I'm going to have to watch for prints of this one.
I really loved the tiki when I first saw it, and I love it more as I attempt to
created a basswood version of it! It's been a fun challenge.

J

Fantastic work! I think I too might just need a print of this one! I love the creepy puppy and the lighting on the water and clouds! Keep 'em coming!

Hello TC,
Thanks everyone. It's really nice to read stuff like that. Makes it all worth it.
Prints? Of this one? With the evil puppy? I thought you all hated the evil puppy!

K
kooche posted on Thu, Apr 5, 2007 2:25 PM

glow baby glow - just awesome how much patience you have for your process...the result is miraculous i on the other hand need it NOW!

thanks for sharing!

TSA,

Patiently creating masterpieces out of crazy Hawaiian colors and crazy technique pays off for you again.
Nice finish!

ST

Kooche-thanks! Yeah it was a miracle I finished it! Hope to get my next one done a bit quicker.
Sneakytiki~again, Thanks! Crazy, that's me! Painting for hours and hours slowly, with a tiny brush, drool coming outa a corner of my mouth....

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Apr 6, 2007 2:25 AM

Chalk up another victim for that damned dog. I don't know how someone is going to be able to live with that in their house! (no disrespect intended as to its artistic and technical merit...)*

I'm really digging all these sketches you're posting Brad - there's something nice about seeing raw ideas or characters that have yet to reach their full potential. Plus the fact I have always loved pencil and pen & ink stuff, it was all I was interested in for years before I started carving. Who needs colour anyway? Apart from Ken - I think he'd be dead within a couple of weeks in a black and white world!
These skull tikis would make pretty sweet mugs too....Holden, are you reading this?

• having just scanned the thread again, are you saying the recipient/commissioner actually owns dog the in the painting?

PPS are you a Bernie Wrightson fan by any chance?

On 2007-04-06 01:53, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
... drool coming outa a corner of my mouth....

LOL! I meant crazy like crazee stoopid techniques an' skillz yo! Dat dawg is my Dawg dude, u feel me?

Hey TC, Happy Easter,
PaipoYep, that's the patrons little dog in #10. She's REALLY excited about it, I hear. Which is cool. I aim to make the art patrons happy. Ken, I guess got all up and hot about your black and white comment, so take a look at all the cool mono-colored stuff he posted on his thread! That guys responds! Instant Karma! Pencils are fun. And yeah I'm a big Berni Wrightson fan! I have all his Swamp Thing issues, and have had the great joy of meeting him a few times. Great guy! Amazing artist!
Sneaky
Now you're calling me stoopid? What the... huh? Oh, yeah, I get it. I'm all hip with the lingo the kids are using. Ah... Ah... and stuff. Dawg. :)
Okeedokeee (now that's hip lingo) Here's a Pencil sketch for painting #11 (nifty pencil sketch huh, Paipo? I posted this for you!)

Mystic Tiki #11: Cave of the sea god. (or maybe it should be called RAVE of the sea god?)
I was going to try something small and simple after the last one. But I had this vision of this mysterious wahine and I wanted to explore that sketch I did the the sea god tiki, so it ending up like this. The canvas is 30" x 24". Bigger than the last one. So much for smaller and simpler. So, like about three months from now we'll be looking at it finished! That gives us plenty of time to discuss all the hidden meaning of this one! And look, no puppies! :)
Thanks for looking,
Big Aloha from the Big Island!

M
McTiki posted on Sun, Apr 8, 2007 7:16 PM

Mine! Please?

Hey Brad!
Hooray! this one is gonna be way cool! Love the little face on the big tiki's chin!i bet you'll get this one done in a jiffy 'cause it's bubbling up from your heart and soul,not some patron's vision. Can't wait to see you create another Masterwork!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Apr 8, 2007 9:06 PM

Looks neat. Is the drawing the same size as the painting wiil be?

McTikiOh, well since you asked so nice.. perhaps we can arrange $omthing? Ah... are you talking about the sketch or the painting? (if your kidding no worries)
LLT
Thanks Jedi Tiki Master. And check out the u know whats!

I put em in just for you Kenny!
Groggy, no, the sketch is about 7"x9", just in my sketch book. I actually thought If I kept the sketch small I wouldn't make the composition too complicated to paint. Not sure that idea worked.
Mahalo from the volcano!

M
McTiki posted on Mon, Apr 9, 2007 5:55 AM

Seriously! PM'd ya !

awesome piece, TS. the composition, everything.love the creature mug. and how the lobster is involved in the offering process. gonna be great.

LOVE the creature mug!

Bernie Wrightson is awesome! I want a copy of his Frankenstein, the Mary Shelley one that he illustrated, but I've only found those for about $200+

your work is so amazing, your compositions keep astounding me, always great compositions! I can't wait to see this with color

I would kill to have your understanding of light and shadow

[ Edited by: hala_kahiki 2007-04-09 17:44 ]

Oh yeah, the mug is... The Creature from the Black Lagoon!

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Apr 10, 2007 1:27 AM

On 2007-04-09 17:38, hala_kahiki wrote:

Bernie Wrightson is awesome! I want a copy of his Frankenstein, the Mary Shelley one that he illustrated, but I've only found those for about $200+

[ Edited by: hala_kahiki 2007-04-09 17:44 ]

Whoa!(Keanu Reeves style) You're joking? The Marvel paperback one? Pretty sure I've still got mine kicking around somewhere - one of handful/boxful of things I kept after quitting collecting in the late 80s.

I can definitely see the comics (and horror) influence in your work TSA, it's one of the reasons I dig it so much. I've said this a couple of times already, but this one is gonna be the best so far, even though you haven't even painted it yet! Having the wahine as a major focus along with the tiki (and with the tiki itself being much more dominant than in the others), bumatay fish-face tikis and mugs, shell lamp, skulls, a starfish with an eye, strange pagan firelit rituals...it's got it all! The composition on this one really stands apart. Bring it on!

I really like the creature from the black lagoon type mug. As far as putting bubbles in there, you covered up the "u know what" bubbles I wanted to see. Loosen that lei girl! Really nice drawing and great closeup composition. It's kind of a departure from your other pieces in the closeup aspect and including a human figure.

I've been painting about 2 years or so. Counting breaks that lasted mo's I've been painting just over a yr. Some series pieces I like doing but at the same time get kinda bored with.
Maybe you can answer some questions for me TSA. When you start a series of paintings like this (I think you said you'd do about 12) does it usually just gradually evolve into another series the way this latest piece of yours seems to be pushing, or do you finish up a coherent series and start on a really different idea? I imagine this is different from painter to painter.

How long have you been painting?

And finally if you have a bunch of other past paintings, where can we see pix of them, don't be holdin' out on us, Tiki or no teaky.

PS
I used tah collect comix too, what a bunch uh creating geekies.

Peace and Aloha
ST

Hey TSA,

Love the latest sketch, that’s going to be one great painting. Will you be using the same technique as you did for your last painting?

G
GROG posted on Tue, Apr 10, 2007 9:51 AM

Yes, GROG agree. This is a really nice composition. Now don't f&*k it up.

Greentikipat- Thanks! The lobster... what lobster? Oh, the "lobster" is offering? Or is he? (Sorry, I'm just making trouble)
Tikifool- Thanks so much! I really wanted a bit more of a dynamic composition on this one. Thanks for noticing. I learned everything from a book called Dynamic Light and Shadow, by some guy named Hogarth. (my other black and white art hero!) If anyone can find his Tarzan work- It's awesome!
Paipo- I've been searching for a book about Bernie Wrightson called "A Look Back". It's a big retrospective of his work. so far never found it. Oh, yeah, it's a Creature from the Black Lagoon mug! And, if any of you Creature from the Black Lagoon fans have not yet, I greatly encourage you to go visit Ben Chapman's web site. He is the guy who was in the Creature suit in the original film! He is the last Universal Movie monster still alive! He's a real nifty guy, living over on Oahu. He's got a cool web site! He even talks about the upcoming "remake" (choke!). http://www.the-reelgillman.com/
Insider news: My Hollywood producer buddy has read the new script, and unfortunately didn't have the best things to say about it. Oh no!
sneakytiki-I started painting last July or August, I think. How many paintings? Well, this one will be #11. I got all the other 9 up on my website. Later this month I should get ten up there, (so we can all enjoy the Puppy again and again!), along with some new eye candy. (yum!) I don't know about the whole "painting series" thing. I think you're right, it differs from artist to artist. I'm just going with the flow. Seeing where the Big Island mana leads me. Right now, I don't think there's an end in sight to my Mystic Tiki series. I'm having a lot of fun with it! And, of course, I GOTTA do something really cool for the up coming "Lucky number 13"!
Jungalero-I'm gonna give the same technique a go. I'm still learning alot about it, and I want to get it down. (I'm still not totally sure if I'm getting a inner glow)
Grog- Oh, he's so cranky! Let's hope they get that pesky yellow cartoon people movie finished and Grog can get some sleep!
Okay, one more revealing of how much of a geeky Creature From the Black Lagoon Fan I am. Here's my prize possession residing above my tiki mugs...

And look closer...

Ben signed it "Aloha!" How cool is that!

Tiki Shark

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2007-04-10 17:45 ]

Brad,

that autographed pic is really sweet. Are you gonna send him a lil' pic of the creature mug painting? I remember the old black and white Tarzan art, very cool. I always thought the Conan B and W art was tops too. Thanks for answering my fan mail questions.

Laters,
S T

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4327 replies