Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

The Lurid low-brow Tiki-Art of Brad (tiki-shark) Parker

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4,327 replies

H
hewey posted on Fri, Apr 27, 2007 4:32 AM

Looking good my Hawaiian friend :D

I believe it's in Robert Williams Malicious Resplendence. Not completely positive, but fairly sure.

Happy ALOHA Friday Tiki Central!
Hope u all hada good one. Hey Thanks, I'm gonna have to look for that book!

G'nite!

Man! I could almost reach right in there! Good stuff.

Thanks Big Hodad-dy Reid! Let's see how it goes...
Hey Everyone I think I came up with a name for this painting.

Mystic Tiki #11: the Sea God, -or- "The Moon of Gill-Manakoora"! Ha! Get it? No? Okay, sorry that was an obscure reference for the sub sub genera of Exotica Music/Creature from the Black Lagoon fans. (I bet Hodadhank got it!)

Have a great weekend!

Here's to you Tiki Central!
Big Aloha from the Volcanic Tropical Island!

Aloha TC,
So... The "Gill-man" and "The Moon of Manakoora"... get it? Still no? Okay, okay, never mind, I'll stick to painting and forget the bad puns!

Figgering out the neked tribal rave fire-lighting some more...
Aloha from the Big Island!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Apr 29, 2007 3:10 AM

That new sketch is great - looks like an old menu cover :D Painting is coming along sweeeet

S

Brad-

Looking nice, the tribal dancing portion reminds me of the Zombie Village menu, one of my favorite vintage images.

keep painting.

Aloha Tiki Central~
Hewey, ~ Thanks, Yeah, I''m really diggin my "raw" paper sketch book. The color of the pages give every drawing a cool "aged" look.
Sirgin ~ Glad you like it so far! Zombie Village Menu?! You mean there was a restaurant named Zombie Village? Sounds really great! Where can I see a pic of this nifty menu?

Working up that sea shore. Not sure just how detailed to get in the under painting, since there is the strong possibility of me repainting the color layer on top... Like the sea back ground in the Sunken Tiki: basically instead of "color washing" it, I ending up completely painting over the BG.
Big Aloha from the Big Island!

J

On 2007-04-29 22:55, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
Zombie Village Menu?! You mean there was a restaurant named Zombie Village? Sounds really great! Where can I see a pic of this nifty menu?

You can see a pic of the menu on this thread.

Thanks Jen-tiki! That is soooo cool! What a great graphic! Gave me total tiki-zombie-fan shivers reading that thread!

Aloha TC,
Here's a bit more of the beach...

..all the way from the Zombie Village up to the rock lobster!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Apr 30, 2007 10:15 AM

GROG thought it was going to be much more colorful, but if monochromagnon is what you're going for, it looks good.

Nice depth on the background. a happy festive feeling in thing one. No demon puppies or Sn-Eels, makes me happy.

Hey tikishark-

What depth, and it's not even done yet! It looks like I can walk right into it. I like the sky in this one too - really "mystic" looking!

Aloha Tiki Central,
GrogMonosodiumgludamate colors are my specialty!
Frostiki
Glad you like it! Yeah, nothing too creepy in this one, except for the human skulls, and the mysterious webbed foot prints, and that star fish with the eye ball. Warm and fuzzy all around!
Sam - Thanks so much! I seem to have four light sources in this one! Three with in the picture! Sheesh! the mono under painting is helping me figure all this out. Hey, I wanted to ask you was your painting Hypontiki, a rif on the exotica song Hipnotic? (oh, yeah, and your art rocks dude!)

Big aloha from the Big Island!

P
Paipo posted on Tue, May 1, 2007 3:22 AM

Now it's taking shape it's definitely my favourite so far. I dig how the point of view is from the inside of the cave looking out so the viewer is placed firmly within the picture....perhaps awaiting their impending fate? Is that drink to get in the spirit of the dance, or does it serve some more sinister purpose...and are those webbed footprints I see in the wet sand? :o
I'd love some detail shots once you're done with the underpainting if you've got time.

On 2007-05-01 02:34, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
Sam - Thanks so much! I seem to have four light sources in this one! Three with in the picture! Sheesh! the mono under painting is helping me figure all this out. Hey, I wanted to ask you was your painting Hypontiki, a rif on the exotica song Hipnotic? (oh, yeah, and your art rocks dude!)

Thanks a bunch Tiki Shark! No, I really didn't take any tunes into account - I think I was listening to Zappa quite a bit when I painted that one! :)

F

Skulls aren't going to steal my soul like that puppy kept trying to. As for the starfish with the eye, I thought he was keeeping a loook out over everything.

Holy crap! I don't know what I respect more: your images in general or the discipline you have to create these masterpieces! Abso-freakin-lutely love your work! I feel like I'm reading step by step graphics with your postings too! I dig seeing your process! Awesome!

PaipoThank you! I'm really glad you're digging the sea cave POV, and the mystery of the scene. You're totally getting it! I'm getting sort of rough and loose with the underpainting. Just going for working out the lights and shadows for now. There will be detail shots coming, when the details get more interesting!
Sam
I'll always remember the day, long ago, when my friend dragged me into his art studio and made me listen to Zappa's "Joe's Garage" over and over all day. I think the experience altered my brain! Good stuff to make art by!
FrostikiPssst, the Starfish is Gawd!
Suburbanpagan
Thank you! YOU are the reason I'm getting loose with the under painting! I was so taken by your last piece "A momentary Lapse by the Fountain" that I started roughing in the lights and darks faster. Love your work! And, I may also use green as the light coming from the shell....
Here is tonight's work:

Hey Brad!
That is lookin TIGHT!
I noticed a difference in the shading color of the foreground and background...Are you one for the more extreme shadows in the background in front of the fire,and other shades
for the sky/foreground..or are you just layering on the underpainting,and then not having to do it as much on the color applications? Thanks for giving up some secrets! This one is gonna be your best yet!

G
GROG posted on Wed, May 2, 2007 9:23 AM

T

I really see the "Parker" in this one. The details are mythic!

LLtthanks! Well, I'm not really paying too much attention to a Finished overall look yet. I'm just working out the major lighting problems for now. The distance should actually have less contrast than the foreground, so I may have to take those dancers up a notch or two.
Grog
High Praise indeed! I am humbled!
Tikifool~golden words from the master of puzzles! Thanks so much! Everyone who loves puzzels should check tikifool's web site. He creates the BEST computer puzzle games. Maybe if we all bug him, his next game will have a TIKI theme!
AND........

Here's tonight's brushing...

A closer look at that cosmic messenger, the lobster.
Thanks for watching the paint dry!
Aloha!

Hey!
Here's a bit more work on the Sea God Tiki:

We have a guest coming in tonight. So that means I gotta clear outta my art studio, and it turns into the guest room for a few days. I Hope to be putting brush to canvas Sunday night.
Aloha from the Big Island!

holy mackeral! well, at least now I know which direction to pray each day! Incredible!

P
Paipo posted on Thu, May 3, 2007 7:22 PM

The B&W gives it the classic Universal Monsters vibe...it'll almost be a shame to cover it with all those pretty colours! The lighting is working very nicely, lots of mood and mystery.

F

Stop making me look lazier than I really am (and that is pretty lazy). I wish I could knock out a 10th of the stuff you are showing. And had a 10th of the talent too.

On 2007-05-03 19:22, Paipo wrote:
The B&W gives it the classic Universal Monsters vibe...it'll almost be a shame to cover it with all those pretty colours! The lighting is working very nicely, lots of mood and mystery.

I had the same thought. This piece kicks @$$ in B and W! I certainly wouldn't think it needed any color. It would be cool to see a TSA painting in black and white or monochromatic hue.

Brilliant work TSA!

S
T

Oh MAN! I hear what you guys are saying about the black and white, but it will be AWESOME in color! It won't need to be bright, but some purple, blues, and greens, not to mention flesh tone on the chick and maybe some eerie oranges, I don't know but I'm sure you'll find its proper mood. Ayayayaya, it will be tasty.

Maybe you could get it shot in its black and white and sell prints of each. Double the output for this one, and hopefully double your income on it.

B

Hey TS, I Really have to spend more time on this side of the creating thread, your stuff is really Amazing. Love all your layers of stuff.

T
Tabu posted on Sun, May 6, 2007 2:55 PM

This might be my favourite yet. There is so much depth to the scene and I love the creature mug. The Creature is my favourite universal character. You have managed to cram so many amazing little details into this picture that you could look at it for a long time. Can't wait to see it finished.

SuburbanpaganOkay, that's the coolest compliment I've ever gotten. I read it to my Muslim friend, and he busted up! Thank you!
Paipo
Well, The Creature was in Black and White. Maybe... naw. Really, the color will be better!
FrostikiThanks! Wasting time? Talk to me about it! I just wasted an hour surfing My Space! Yikes! That thing could put a dent in my painting time!
Sneakytiki
Mahalo, but, B & W only? Really? Naw, it'll be much better in color. Believe me! (fingers crossed)
Big Hodad-dy RiedYeah, what he said! Color good! Not sure what colors yet, but I like your ideas BHR.
Benzart
Thanks! You gotta great My Space page by the way!
Tabu~I can't wait either! Just hope I don't screw it up! So, let's see if I did yet...

Still working out the tiki's lighting.

Dig those glowing peepers!
Dat's all fer now. Thanks for watching.

Tiki Shark

http://www.myspace.com/Lotus_Land

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2007-05-08 11:25 ]

H
hewey posted on Tue, May 8, 2007 3:30 PM

It's funny each time he does an underpainting Im like the sepia is so cool, then he busts out the colour and the painting just gets better! :D

Keep up the good work mate

Thanks Hewey!
Here's tonight's painting...

Sheesh, the lighting came out really crappy in my studio! Sorry folks. I'll get a better shot for ya tomorrow.
Aloha!

:) :) :) :) :)

B
Babalu posted on Wed, May 9, 2007 9:21 AM

Tiki Shark

Just wanted to bounce in and mention that your work just blows me out of the water man!

Big fan here.

G
GROG posted on Wed, May 9, 2007 10:20 AM

Even without the color this painting already has alot of mood to it. Awesome piece, dude.

P
Paipo posted on Wed, May 9, 2007 2:33 PM

Yeah, I know the colours will be good, but I still dig the sepia! Looks like an old photo that could have been developed from some missing missionary's camera!
It's interesting seeing all (nearly all?) your Mystic Tikis on your myspace page and how your painting style has progressed...these have been developing exponentially over the last few paintings with details and composition, and are now approaching a critical mass of awesomeness. How many more have you got planned?

T

An infinite number, I imagine!

Hopefully a gazillion more! :)

L
Limey posted on Thu, May 10, 2007 2:53 PM

Hey TS, we truly are not worthy. Awesome skills bro. Luv the way you work up your underpainting to the enth. I kinda start with that, but cant cope and head for the colour. I was never very good at saving lollies either.
I'm frightened to ask, but have you every counted up the hours you would spend on a work like the Sea God Tiki.?

Aloha,
babalu~ I always remember that "magic" drawing thing the Capt did. I was greatly impressed with that. that, plus story time.
GrogThanks! Yeah, lots of mood, but LOTS more to do in this one too. I keep thinking, maybe I'll try a easier composition next, and then this happens!
Paipo
Thanks! As long as it doesn't reach critical MESS! I don't have set number to this series, I have roughs and ideas for 4 more, and I can sense more after that. I feel I still have not gotten to the final tiki painting doing everything I want it to do. And, maybe I never will.
Tiki Fool~ PI, actually!
LLT~ YEAH! I'm just a conduit for the Tiki Mojo coming out of the volcano baby! I'll stop when it stops erupting!
Limey~ Hey, as I was working out the light and shadow on the tiki, and it was getting really hard, I was using you as inspiration. I kept thinking of your paintings and all those amazing angles and shading on your tiki figures! So, right back at ya! I'm keeping a tally of hours on this one out of curiosity. I got about 4 1/2 full "painting" days in it thus far. My goal is not to go over full 30 days. A day being 8 hours.

OH, now that's like the worst pic I've taken! Sorry!
Well, we got guests coming in from the mainland again, so I may not get any canvas time this coming week! URK! I can feel the withdrawls starting already!

L
Limey posted on Fri, May 11, 2007 3:11 AM

Cheers TS. thought you would have to stike out a month, give or take for each one. I try for the same. Some just fall together while others,, well ive been painting lawn for the last week. AAAGGGHHHH. GIVE ME STRENGTH!! I find knocking the top off a cupla coldies goes a long way t' push'n me through. You must find it hard living on the hot end of the Earth. All that... distraction. Meanwhile down here in the south, bergs are sailing past and I chuck a few more cones on the fire. Envious,.. I could be.

Limey~ Yeah, the right tunes and a little "art helper", on those long hauls of shading late into the night. Bliss!

Here's a better shot.
Happy Aloha Friday!

J

:o I'm amazed at how much depth there is in this already! Absolutely awesome! :o

M

TS, I'm lovin the scetch! And at the same time, watchin the matriarch develop into what is destined for her.

Mahalo

McTiki

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4327 replies