Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

The Lurid low-brow Tiki-Art of Brad (tiki-shark) Parker

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4,327 replies

I was beginning to wonder if you had washed some yellow on there. Now the B&W guys need to figure out whether they like the true B&W or the Sepia tone-like version, haHA!

Lookin' good!

B

I'm Really loving this large tiki, he has been haunting me and begging to be put to wood. Should I ever get around to it, would you mind? He is really awesome, as his lady and come to think of it, the whole picture!

G
GROG posted on Sat, May 12, 2007 12:34 PM

Damn Brad! Your art is inspiring other artists left and right. What an honor that must be. In fact, looking at all the talent and effort going into your painting inspire GROG to go have a beer and watch TV.

When working late into the night I prefer insert "art helper" here to keep me going! Looking incredible!

Well I know I'm sure as hell Inspired by all this art here in this thread. This latest one of yours is truly inspirational. Wish to God I had 1/4 the talent you have with the paint brush. But alas, the Pencil and quill are my weapons of choice.

Thanks so much everyone! Really nice! Let's hope I can deliver the goods, and get this one done!
I got some canvas time in tonight. (yipee!) I was working on the Mug, and I realized something. So there is a plastic sword stuck through a cherry, right? But what else is it stuck in? A slice of Pineapple, maybe? BUT, I forgot to put it in! right now it looks like it's balancing on the edge of the mug somehow. So I gotta put in a pineapple slice, or paint out the sword and cherry!

Aloha!

F

More Please!!

H

WOOOOOW! Looks like you could just walk right into that piece and keep on truckin'. I kinda liked the 'sepia' version of it too--kind of a 'vanilla sky' effect. SSWWWEEEEEEET!!!

G
GROG posted on Thu, May 17, 2007 9:10 AM

You can leave in the sword and cherry without the pineapple slice if you want. It's called " a cheat" and we do it in art all the time. Nobody would've noticed if you hadn't said anything anyways. If you add the pineapple, it's going to get really busy on top of the mug and you start running into Ruzic territory where you just overwhelm the viewer with a whole bunch of eye-candy. :lol: GROG like the rendering on the mug. Good job.

[ Edited by: GROG 2007-05-17 09:15 ]

P
Paipo posted on Thu, May 17, 2007 1:50 PM

What's to say there isn't a chunk of pineapple further down the sword inside the mug where we can't see it? GROG's right, just paint it as it appears now and to hell with the consequences! It's tiki magic!
PS put me on the list for a creature mug!

I'll take a Creature/Bumatay tiki mug as well!

J

Is this the line for the mug? Put me on the list for 2 please!!!

:wink:

Aloha Tiki Central,
Thanks again for all the kind words! It's the encouragement that keeps ya going sometimes. (that and the bills!) I'm just getting to the mysterious wahine...Here's the first pass...

Thanks for watching the paint dry!
Aloha from the volcano!

G
GROG posted on Sat, May 19, 2007 9:02 AM

Dude, you lost your cherry! Looks good without it. Good call. You can always put it back in later after you've added the color to the piece if you decide you want a little spot of red there. Awesome piece.

"you lost your cherry!"
teehee! :)
Pineapples Smineapples!
Do what your inners tell ya!
She's lookin fabbo brad!
Can't wait to see the details in the eyes!
put me down for a mug too!

Aloha Tiki Central!

Grog - Lost my cherry! HA! Finally! Actually, I think I'm gonna move my cherry over to look like it's stuck into the orange slice.
LLT - You see, now the bubbles look lonely, and that Cherry really helped link them to the mug. That would be a nifty mug to have! Don't think I have not snooped around about the cost of creating it in the real world. Still not decided though.

"Kapapa Tiki" 8.5" x 12" pencil on paper

Aloha from the volcano!

The "Mysterious Wahine" is great Shark.

V

Oh man!

I TOTALLY wanna sculpt a fishman mug like that for my shelf! Fantastic design!

Henrik "VanTiki"

Aloha Tiki Central!
Unga BungaThanks, it's scary as heck doing a "human figure" for the first time in a painting. Not that she's a realistic human figure. My original Idea is that she may or may not be human. That's why I leaned towards giving her such huge eyes and nymph like looks.
VanTiki
It could be cool! I'm glad you are digging it! Thanks, that's quite a complement!
Here's tonight's work...

A bit more on the mysterious wahine. As I get closer to it, I'm dreading the flowers around her head, and in her lei - they're so many, and they are complicated!

Have a great weekend!
Aloha from the volcano!

Tiki Shark

http://www.myspace.com/Lotus_Land

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2007-05-20 02:35 ]

Brad!
Looking FAZAMALAMBIMBAM!
the wahine is that perfect Tahitian Maiden meets Brian Froud!
The lei should be a snap! Here's an idea...why don't you step outside
and go buy a lei or a lei book, set it on the table and stare at it!
You have a knack for stylizing things just TIKISHARKILY, so don't sweat it!
You done good,boy!
Can't wait til 2008 when you start adding color to this! :)

J

On 2007-05-20 18:27, little lost tiki wrote:
Can't wait til 2008 when you start adding color to this! :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I confess I miss the cherry and spear. I'm used to a rum grog having lots of fruit.

Your pencil and paper sketches of Tikis are purely eye-popping.

I fancy that you're drawing them on a grocery bag in the back seat of a dune buggy... I mean doom buggy.

[ Edited by: TikiFool 2007-05-21 00:29 ]

Tikifool, you'll be happy to know I got my cherry back. (?!) I moved it over towards the orange slice so the sword can stick it there.
LLT, You're right! I went out this morning to the farmer's market and got a lei. It REALLY helped me figure out he flowers. And Guess what? GROG was right too! a normal lei is gonna reveal a bit more of the sea nymph!

Here's the lei roughed in...

That's all fer tonight. I'm bushed!
Goodnite from the Big Island!

Rockin!
you do good art!
keep it up artistic soul brother!
and who would've thought that GROG and I could actually
BOTH be correct on the same thread? :lol:

F

I think the world may be in for some trouble if LLT and Grog are both right at the same time. I'm gonna have to get a lot of rum when I get home after work. Is it bad that I'm thinking ot Rum at 10:30 in the morning? Do I have a problem?

J

On 2007-05-21 08:22, little lost tiki wrote:
and who would've thought that GROG and I could actually
BOTH be correct on the same thread? :lol:

• :music: It's the end of the world as we know it! :music: *

Hey TC,

Here's a nice blurry shot. Almost as blurry as my eyes feel. Must be time for bed. Anyway, tonight's work was on the Lei around her head mostly.
Aloha!

Aloha TC!
Here's a better shot of the whole thing thus far.

And here's a closer shot of the Lei.

Thanks for watching...
Aloha from the Big Island!

Looking real nice. I love how much "movement" is in the flowers of the lei, and what's peeking out from underneath it is, well, titillating (muuhoohawhawhehe!)

dude that's hot!! any plans to sell it??

That painting is really lookin' intriguing Tiki Shark. Who is that wahine with the otherworldly look? What foreboding cocktail lurks in that strange sea monster vessel? What diabaolical ancient rituals await once the noxious potion kicks in and has rendered the unfortunate victim senseless? And what the heck kinda music comin from that crazy lobsters conch. That painting has me up at nights sleepin' with the light on.

Chongolio

Hey TC!
Big Hodad-dy ReidThanks for noticing all the work I put into that Lei, Sheesh! it's really alot of understanding the shapes of flowers and how light looks on them. I think I'll even get closer to their look on the second color pass. (that's the plan at least) So, the poor Lei I used as a model is now all dried up and hanging around a tiki mug in my studio, but will live forever fresh in the painting. :) As for what's beneath, I'm still hoping it's all not too 'in your face'. I was trying for a subtle otherworldly nymph-of-the-sea look. So I held back on giving her larger endowments. Still pondering it.
Tipsy Mcstagger
Hey, they are all for sale, baby! I'm of the mind that these tiki paintings should all go out into the world, along with their prints, and been seen and enjoyed by as many folks as possible. Hopefully in some one's home made tiki bar! With this piece, I was PM'd early, on back when it was a sketch, by someone who was interested in buying it. Depending on how it looks when done, they will decide on purchasing it. Send me a message when it's almost done and I'll let you know if the sale is going ahead or not.
Chongolio~Hey island neighbor! You're living on Kauai now, right? That's an amazing island! Beautiful! Hope you are enjoying living in Hawaii as much as I am. I may be traveling over to Kauai in a few months, let's hook up. So... What's in the mysterious drink? What is the midnight island ritual all about? What does the mysterious wahine want? Well, now that you are on the exotic island of Kauai, just wander down to the beach next full moon. Follow the music to the gathering around the fires on the beach. Explore that old sea cave near by... and you'll find out. Oh yes, you'll find out! (hahahaahahah!)
I gotta make a run over to Hilo. So I'll be out of the studio for the next few days.
Big aloha from the Big Island!

Chongolio~ What music is coming out of the weird shell the lobster is holding? That's the greatest question I've ever been asked about this painting! I dig the way your mind works! Answer: An unearthly version of the old exotic standard, "The Moon Of Manakoora".

I'd say her "endowments" are just right. And the amount you show is just enough for prims and pervs I think (well, most pervs, but you don't necessarily want to shrink your audience by satisfying them, haHA!).

just thought I'd throw in my "Holy crap! That is looking incredible!"

Very cool painting as always! I like the mysterious look in her eyes too. She has a slight "Vampira" look about her which works great.

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2007-05-31 21:34 ]

Big Hodaddy reid - Thanks for that titillating analysis! :)
Suburbanpagan - Thanks, ALOT!
Sam - Exactly! I was thinking along those lines as I was drawing her. A slight hungry look, yeah? Hungry for what?
Here's tonight's work. It's been raining a lot here today, and it's great to paint with the windows open, you can hear, and smell, the rain. Amazing!

Just a bit on the flower behind her ear.
Aloha!

TSA, this painting is looking fantastic. Ditto what someone said about the dancing figures echoing the old menu cover. Who needs the genie when you've got the Creature...
Glad you got your cherry back, I went to a church meeting where they told me I could be a born again cherry too...
Painting with the rain and Hawaiian breeze floating in the window sounds magical. JEALOUS!!

S
T

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-06-03 14:57 ]

Hey TSA! Looking incredible! So am I correct in guessing that you will be laying the local color on in glazes? Humbly yours,

SP

Brad!
Happy Birthday! Besides eating Bacon...Just a whole day to paint would be the Ultimate way to spend the day! Smelling rain...sigh! Our rain smells like ocean,tears,and acetone! This painting is just Rockin along in a Heavy Mental fashion! You're Rad! :lol:
Have you seen Paipo's new Creature pendant?
It would make a great baby brother to your Creature Mug!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2007-06-03 14:36 ]

SneakytikiThanks, yeah, that old menu for Zombie Village is very high on the hip scale. I'm still trying to get over that someone was cool enough to name a restaurant/bar "Zombie Village"! There must be tribute Tee Shirts done or something!
Suburbanpagan
Yep, color glazes is coming next. Actually I found out that I had to alter the Girl's face a tad to match the sketch: move the peak of the eye brow mostly. And I had to make her ear look ....like an ear! But when I went in with Raw Umber and white, I got a whole new weird "Simpsons yellow" color to her! Might this weird yellow be good for adding an under layer of glow to her final glaze layer? (I hope!) I do think I'm getting the look I want the more I glaze over certain objects. My first pass is always off somehow. And speaking of yellow cartoon people, Isn't Grog supposed to be like art directing this painting for me or something? How come Grog didn't catch how off the eye brow was, or the ear thing? He must be reeeaally busy with that movie thing! (poor Grog!)
LTT~Well, thanks so much for the Happy Birthday wishes! Your phone message really brought a smile to my face! And yes, I was taking lunch break, but I was painting! So here it is...

Weird yellow color glazes and all!
So for my B-day I got an IPOD! Wow, I'm finally in the year 2007 now! I almost instantly filled it with pod casts of Coconut wired and Vegas Vics Tiki Lounge! I'm trying desperately not to get paint on it while I work!! (let's just see how long that lasts!)

Aloha!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jun 3, 2007 8:09 PM

oooh - colour :D Coming along nice mate!

Those eyes are gonna GLOW!
(not a reference to GLOW-Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling)

Okay, LLT was post number 666 on this thread! Not sure the real significance of that other than an obscure relation to an old kick @ss Iron Maiden Album and Kenny's kick @ss talent!

Here's a last shot of the night. Studio lights causing all the yellow/orange color. Well, most of it, not all I guess.
Anyways,
Aloha from the Big Island!

666! hahaha! I noticed that both you and LLT had that same number last night! Even more creepy! Of course, I wanted to post that, but then it would have changed the number so I just enjoyed the creepiness of the moment!
I love how we are trying to figure out each other's method! Do you do the underpainting in acrlyic and do an oil glaze? Or oil on oils? Since Grog is indisposed at the moment, I have been dying to throw an idea at you! What if there is a hint that she is, indeed, not quite human represented by a slight hint of scales or an eel like skin revealing itself on her hip? Just my sick fantasy I suppose! Of course, I will always bow down to the master's ultimate decision but I was too excited about it not to let it out! hahaha! Looking incredible!

TSA,

I HAD noticed the eyebrow was off the sketch, giving her a slightly less evil/non-human look, but with all the nit-picking we were engaged in over the tiki's eye I felt sheepish pointing up any more "improvements" to the paint-master's work. You know what they say, those that can't do critique....

That said, excellent catch on your part and it's definitely better now, not that it wasn't superb even when it deviated from the OG sketch. It's funny how it's so hard to capture the original energy and power of a first version when you'd think it would be easier the second time around... I think you nailed it though and the sketch on the board is every bit as great as the original, but I'll bet it took you 3 x as long!

Keep up the flawless work on the Creature feature!
ST

It's funny how it's so hard to capture the original energy and power of a first version when you'd think it would be easier the second time around...

Opaque projector Kiddies!
Like most artists,we're good for about 3-4 "scales" for our work-the hand-eye thing gets messed up when the size is altered...For reeeeeeeeal big piece I just simply blow up the original sketch with the OP and pencil it on the canvas,and can rework it (if possible) from there...They cost betwixt 100-200 bucks these days,unless you get a job at an Art Supply store and carry it out the back (uh...like a friend of mine did years ago!) Just a little FYI....666 out! :)

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jun 4, 2007 2:52 PM

*On 2007-06-03 19:49, Tiki Shark Art wrote:*objects. My first pass is always off somehow. And speaking of yellow cartoon people, Isn't Grog supposed to be like art directing this painting for me or something? How come Grog didn't catch how off the eye brow was, or the ear thing? He must be reeeaally busy with that movie thing! (poor Grog!)

If you want GROG to get nit-picky, then GROG suggest watching out for TANGENTS, lines that seem to run into each other at a point. Personally, they not bother GROG too much unless they REALLY stand out. This is one of the BIG things they have us watch out for on The Simpsons (and other productions as well). GROG know BRAD know what GROG talking about, but since your thread is also a good TEACHING thread, GROG figured this is good time to help out other artists and art enthusiasts as well. Some art is designed to have tangents so that lines flow into lines, and some tangents are done on purpose to lead a viewers eyes to a certain point.
An example of tangents in a drawing:

Elements moved a bit to get rid of tangents:

The tangents in your painting don't really stand out too much and are fine if you want to leave them as they are. The painting's looking awesome. Keep up the good work (you bastard).

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4327 replies