Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

The Lurid low-brow Tiki-Art of Brad (tiki-shark) Parker

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4,327 replies

G
GROG posted on Sun, Sep 16, 2007 12:57 PM

MINE!

Aloha TC!
PaipoThanks ! Bought something at a thrift store as reference for a "Shark-Tiki"? (Hmmm, I'm picturing in my mind you lugging an entire full grown stuffed great white shark out of a thrift shop, and dragging it home!)
Suburbanpagan
Thank you! 60 thousand views? Yikes!
JPMartdog~Big Mahalo! I figured you'd be into the pirate stuff! "Moai Mountain"? - sounds like a water park ride!

Hey, that must be the log fume ride coming down next to the big head!

Aloha~

Aloha~

What it looks like now...

More on Moai Mountain.

Mahalo!

Be sure the safety bar is secured!

This painting is the funnest yet!
Nice Job Sharkey!

Yikes! That looks dangerous!

Roughed in the arch. gotta fill in the log flume!

Aloha~

G
GROG posted on Tue, Sep 18, 2007 1:09 AM

That's looking great so far. GROG hate you more and more.

Aloha TC~
Thanks GROG!!

I got the log flume ride finished on Moai Mountain.

Let's see if I can get some work done on the Pirates tonight!

Mahalo from Kona~

I don't believe I have thrown in my "Holy crap! That is fantastic work!" yet!
Spec-freakin-tacular Brad!

R

man, lookin through here is like going to tiki painting school. this is quite a peice!!!

Looking so Great so far,Brad! You got the Magic Paintbrush!

T
Tabu posted on Tue, Sep 18, 2007 2:26 PM

I really loved the last one-but this one is friggin' nuts. The electric blue waterfall is cool. You've mastered that Hildebrandt style of rendering rocks. Awesome.

M

E P I C !!!

Brad,

Sellin any scetches of this one? Please PM!

Mahalo!

McTiki

Wow, that waterfall is a nice touch.
It's alive, it's alive!

J

"Moai Mountain" sounds like it should be a ride at Disneyland! An "E" ticket of course!!!

I hope you don't mind that I'm using the sky in this piece as inspiration for a little project I'm working on.

Thanks for my puzzle prize!!! I could not have imagined it would be something so awesome! :wink: Thank you, thank you, thank you! :D :D :D

T

I knew there was a reason today that Jentiki thought TikiShark rocked "extra" hard today on Shout.

That waterfall and mountainside moai are beautiful. There's already so much going on in this painting - like it tells multiple stories at one time.

Ahoy, and happy "Talk like a Pirate Day" Tiki Centreal! RRRRRRRRR!

I thank ye all kindly fer your words of encouragement of my artistic endeavors! They bring me a warm glow to me inner being, just like a good shot of rum, rrrrr!
SurburbanpaganThank ye! A "holycrap" from an artistic scallywag of your caliber means a lot to me!
Rastiki
Thanks mate! Looking though the art threads on TC is kinda like a virtual "tiki" art class. I steal, er I mean get, alot of my ideas from TC.
LLTAYE Captain! The magic paint brush! The "Bright" magic paint brush it be. It's made all the difference in the world, just like the strange old sea hag at the ye' old art shoppe claimed it would. Now, I just have to learn how to finger paint using the monky's paw.
Tobu
Grand praise indeed! Thank you! Tim Hildebrandt is one of my artist patron saints I pray to each night!
McTikiThanks! Oh yes, I know ye be one who has a sharp enjoyment of art of a "original" nature. So, yes, I'll be a sellin' sketches darned soon. Best to keep watching me thread over in the Marketplace.
Swampfire
Thank ye! I had taken a helicopter ride up along the north part of the Big Island, and saw some really amazing tall water falls. I guess the experience sort of oozed into my art! Nothing says exotic tropical island like a super tall waterfall!
JentikiI think Disney Land is installing "Moai Mountain" next to the Magic Tiki room. And ye be welcome! Glad ye like yer prize!
Teakey
Aye! Strange how a super secret puzzle prize can brighten up yer whole day!
Sam Gambino~Thank ye, mate! There be alot of strange things all packed in ta this here painting. I like yer idea that it be full of stories! Aye, that I do! RRRRR!

This here be the most recent of me brushings on that there tiki painting, rrrrrr!

Cast yer eyes upon this here detail for a closer look-see, rrrrr! I be ready to paint the Treasure Chest, I see. It be a darned good day to do so, too, I be thinkin'! RRRRRR!

Aloha and Mahalo, ( ya' scurvy dawgs! )

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Sep 19, 2007 3:31 PM

Cripes, I gotta put up with two days of this stuff!(our ITLAPD was yesterday for you guys) The painting is looking epic (again) - like someone (mighta been GROG) commented about Kinny's work, a lot of the individual vignettes would stand as paintings on their own. Looks like you treat them as such too when painting each one. It makes for a pretty fun viewing process too!

Aloha TC!

Paipo~Thanks! Two glorious days of talkin' like a Pirate! RRRRRRRRsome!
Well, I never worked on a piece so horizontal, and with so much room for individual vignettes. The only way for me to get my head around the whole thing, is piece by piece. Of course, I once had an art teacher tell me that was the incorrect way to create a painting. Could be right. But, it's what my gut is telling' me to do right now. So, I'm going with it.

Here's da chest so far.

Mahaloz!

S

Brad-

The painting arrived and it looks great, the detail is amazing, we are happy to include it in our collection.

A lot of our paintings are off the walls right now because we are repainting, and I noticed we have a bit of a "creature" theme going,

Judge for yourself, and I apologize for the poor pics...

Here is your painting before it goes off to the framer

Above is "tiki Tako" by Miles "kooche" Thompson

Another painting by Miles from his "tell tale tiki" show

and here they are together.

Thanks again, and get back to work on the Tiki island peice.

TSA - Nice chest. New painting's looking great, as usual.

Sirginn - Great collection; the frame on the first Miles painting is really amazing.

Hey TSA
Your talent continues to stupefy me I (and that doesn't mean I am becoming more stupid every day!)

Here's da chest so far.

Like, has been said, your details in the background and smaller vignettes are amazing paintings in themselves. I gotta figure this little corner is no more than 3 or 4 inches wide, yet in a couple days time you've transported us to 'Shipwreck Beach below Moai Mountain'. The wood grain and metal bands on the chest are superb! Major Kudos, you big jerk! :)

Aloha TC!

Sirgin ~ WOW! You own 2 of the coolest paintings out of Miles' TELL TALE TIKI show! (U lucky freakin dog!!!) Fantastic! I am so honored to be hanging in such a cool tiki art collection! And it IS cool how u got this "creature" theme going! (Does that mean if I paint another creature in my next painting you're gonna have to buy it too?) I'd love to see how you are going to frame "the Moon of Manakoora"! Mahalo for sharing your amazing collection!
Jungalero~ Yes, it's always good to put a "nice chest" in a tiki painting. Thanks!
JPmartdog~ So, you claim it's not my paintings that are lowering your IQ? Hmmmm, wonder what it is? That barrel of Rum you down each week? :) Thanks so much for goovin on the ship wreck. That area of canvas is about... oh from the top of Moai mountain to the chest bottom is 18" and roughly 6 inches wide.

Gotta get painting...

Mahaloz!

R

Wow! This new piece looks like it'll be another masterpiece!
I loooove the details coming out on the shipwreck, treasure, and skull! (i love skulls!)

Can't wait to see more progress! Wee! :D

Aloha TC!

Here be the whole thing so far. I got the sandy (?) shore roughed in.

Ravenne~Here be the details of them thar piratey skulls ye be pleasuring ye eyeballs with! (Ohmigosh! I'm stuck talking like a pirate! HELP ME!)

Malahoz fer a gazin' at da' art, an I be a hopin' ye be havin' a fine weekend!

Tiki Shark

http://www.myspace.com/Lotus_Land

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2007-09-22 11:24 ]

G
GROG posted on Sat, Sep 22, 2007 11:29 AM

MINE! MINE! GET AWAY YOU BASTARDS! IT'S ALL MINE!!

[ Edited by: GROG 2007-09-22 11:31 ]

Yo Grog! don't you have other things to devote your interest and money to. How much is a Duff's at happy hour at Moe's?

Step away from the painting.... and don't spill your beer on it! Doh!

R

:o! TS!!!!! IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL!!! :o

I looooooooooooooooooooove the detail! :D
( :lol: pirate talk!)

On 2007-09-22 11:29, GROG wrote:
MINE! MINE! GET AWAY YOU BASTARDS! IT'S ALL MINE!!

GROG! I love you! :lol:
I heard you like this

Holy moley they have the clip too!
Ali Baba Bunny

I wish I were an Egg.

DON'T MAKE FUN OF MAH DREAMS!!!

[ Edited by: ravenne 2007-09-22 19:03 ]

T

I really love the light on the pirate chest.
The Moai mountain is awesome too.
Great job. Your style is definitively cool.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Sep 23, 2007 9:04 AM

Brad, GROG' birthday was September12th, so it's going to be a little late, but if you send this to GROG for GROG birthday gift, GROG still accept. :)

Aloha TC!
Jpmartdog ~ You know I hear that acrylic paint and alcohol don't mix. However, I believe that theory needs more testing.
Ravenne ~Thanks so much!
Tahitiki ~ Thanks so much, I'm working on the "Light" as a warm source from the sunset. And a cool light refected from the "night shade" of the sky.
Grog ~ You are so Daffy!

My weekend was busy with regular work. So, I only got a small amount of work done over the weekend.

Aloha!

P

On 2007-09-24 11:11, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
My weekend was busy with regular work. So, I only got a small amount of work done over the weekend.

Aloha!

Designing and making towels is work. This is pure pleasure baby!

Aloha TC!
Mahaloz Paipo! U da Man!
Hey I was gonna post my new painting pick....but looks like the pict up load machine is not up and working. So.... I'll check later today, and post.

Mahaloz!

R

bummer!

Well, at any rate, I can't wait to see what you did! :)

Aloha!

Hey Hey, looks like the pic loader is working again, hooray! Here's da pics from yesterday.

'bout half way...

That palm tree's done

The Chuthlu/Konaloa pagan Squid sea god

Mahaloz fer gawkin!

J

Hey! When did you sneak in that spaceship?! I didn't see that in the original sketch! Shades of Doug Horne's "Invasion of Planet Tiki". Look it up, it's a cool print.

After all this talk of "Cthulhu," I finally decided to look it up and see what the heck a cthulhu is. Sometimes the Google image search is a frightening thing! :o I like your version, 'cuz it's a bit creepy, but not too scary!

This is coming along beautifully! I guess I'll have to get myself down to San Diego to see it in person! :D

G
GROG posted on Fri, Sep 28, 2007 1:00 PM

Mine!!

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Sep 28, 2007 1:54 PM

On 2007-09-28 02:04, Paipo wrote:

V

I gotta say, that I find myself looking forward to your progress posts, your work is fantastic.

T

I don't know if its cause you are posting more finished work faster or cause you aren't wasting energy on non-colored painting but this stuff is amazing.

Aloha!
Jentiki~ Well, the space ship was in one of the later sketches. Actually I'm not happy with it yet. It will have to get better looking, or turn into a small cloud!
Groggy~ Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday Dear Gorggy! Happy Birthday to you!
Paipo~ U Funny! But you should be careful. I bet it's screw the art threads up if you accidentally summoned a Shogoth through Tiki Central!
VinmanMahaloz! I'm so glad your digging the step by step. I always enjoy watching other artist's post like this, so that's why I do it.
Teakey
It does seem much faster with out having to do a whole under painting. I think it looks pretty much as good as if it had one. guess I still have lots to learn about that whole under painting thing. I may go back to it somewhere in the future.

Here's the over all. Less white space is GOOD

It's sort of that same weird Tiki Hut I keep painting. I think it may be a compulsion! Of course I'm excited to be doing a neon sign on this one!

I got about 16 days left to finish this!

Big Malohoz from the Big Island!

G
GROG posted on Sat, Sep 29, 2007 11:39 AM

Don't lose the UFO! GROG love the spaceship in the painting.

This is looking awesome.

Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!
Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!
Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!Mine!

[ Edited by: GROG 2007-09-29 11:40 ]

Aloha TC!
Keep the UFO? OK, I'll work on it and see if I can make it look better.

Here's the whole thing.

Here's a closer look at the Tiki Hut. It's been a bit difficult working out the lighting on the Tikis. Sunset light vs neon sign light vs the light that might be coming through the door way. I guess that may be the thing I'll be working out today. And just what color should the light inside the Tiki Lounge be? Usually, you alter warm and cool light. So, If the sunset is warm, and the neon sign is cool, and the tiki lounge should be warm. But not the same color as the sunset. Perhaps a purple or pink light source?

Malahalo!

J

On 2007-09-30 11:31, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
And just what color should the light inside the Tiki Lounge be? Usually, you alter warm and cool light. So, If the sunset is warm, and the neon sign is cool, and the tiki lounge should be warm. But not the same color as the sunset. Perhaps a purple or pink light source?

Malahalo!

I vote Purple!! Or maybe a spooky red, like something evil is going on inside!

R

On 2007-09-30 11:31, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
And just what color should the light inside the Tiki Lounge be? Usually, you alter warm and cool light. So, If the sunset is warm, and the neon sign is cool, and the tiki lounge should be warm. But not the same color as the sunset. Perhaps a purple or pink light source?

Ooh I'd like to see a pink light source...I think that'd be rad!

I'm really diggin the Tiki Lounge! So sweet!

keep goin! :D

F

BRad, this is great, and I hate you for the greatness. Now I must go cry over my lack of ambition and mediocrity.

Aloha!

JentikiPurple/red?
Ravenne
pink/purple?
OK, It'll be a purple/reddish/pink like color!
Frostiki~Oh, sounds like some one has a case of the "Mondays"! Time for a mai tai!

Here's the wide shot.

And a better shot of the door to the Tiki Lounge. the lighting is starting to make sense. Sorta....

I got about 16 days left to finish it!

Mahaloz!

Tiki Shark

http://www.myspace.com/Lotus_Land

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2007-10-01 11:28 ]

Aloha!

OMG! I got 14 days left to finish!
Mahaloz!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4327 replies