Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

The Lurid low-brow Tiki-Art of Brad (tiki-shark) Parker

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4,327 replies

Okay, I know, it's getting slow going. I got all into making the tiki look like wood, then realized that real palm trees don't actually have that heavy wood grain look, but what the heck... it's looking like some kind of wood at least. Here's the latest...

and a detail of the woody part...

Thanks fer waiting, and watching...

H
hewey posted on Wed, Oct 25, 2006 5:18 AM

Man Im loving these posts :)

Thanks man

Ya missed a spot, that white bit up front though...

LOOOOOKIN GOOD Brad! Don't fret about the palm! As long as it "fits" into your world and style of painting,then 'ave a go at it! Like the gecko guy too! Of course, you are a BIG tease when it comes to the skull! C'mon man! Do the skull! Nice pumpkin jester for your friend BTW! Looks like an Albrecht Durer on overload!Keep chuggin away,my friend! The show'll be here soon!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Oct 25, 2006 12:15 PM

Hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you, hate you,.
(Nice painting, bastard)

Oh GROG, I'm feelin' the love! Thanks everyone. I didn't get much time at all today to paint. Hardly any at all...

Thanks for looking, sorry there wasn't too much new stuff to look at. Tomorrow, however, I'll finish it!

...tease.

I'd like to say ditto to GROG's post. That thing is amazing.

PAINT THAT SKULL!

G
GROG posted on Thu, Oct 26, 2006 6:38 PM

P.S. Hate you.

finished! Tomorrow in sunlight, I'll get a better photo.

30 days later! Whew! Thanks for watching.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Oct 27, 2006 1:11 AM

Very cool man! Love it, love it very much :) Doesnt seem like 30 days though

Hate to be a pain, but should the bottom of the lei be a bit more shadow-ey?

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Oct 27, 2006 1:50 AM

On 2006-10-27 00:11, Tiki Shark Art wrote:

30 days later! Whew! Thanks for watching.

Haha, believe me, I know how you feel! Great painting - again! What's next - how about finishing those tiki cards so I can buy some?

NICE! TSA! If that painting was all I did for 30 days straight I'd be thrilled it. It was worth the wait. These last couplah' paintings coming up on Halloween seem quite apropo.
Since this painting is pointing at some sort of narrative, I'm curious, is the skull a head hunter's trophy or a revered ancestor, or is that part of the mystery?

ST

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-10-27 06:37 ]

H
Heath posted on Fri, Oct 27, 2006 7:35 AM

wow.
You painter types make it look so easy.

Don't let GROG see it.
He'll be impossible to deal with this week-end.

Hey TC,
Here's a better photo in better light.

Yeah, I could shad down the Lei, even tint it purple like the cool shadows. I also see about 20 other things I'd love to work on, but for now I think I should move on to the next one. Then look again at this one in a week with a fresh eye.
Thanks for watching the paint dry!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Oct 27, 2006 10:09 AM

Damn you!!!!

H

I said DON'T let GROG see it!

Sneakytiki,
Goood question. Is that the head hunters trophy, or a revered ancestor, or an supernatural alien artifact? I think everyone has the chance to see what ever story they want to in this kind of "illustrative" thing. That's one of the best things about it!

Bravo Brad!
Another beautiful painting!Those glyphs on the skull remind me of some of the frames and decorative elements of Joe Coleman (Don't check him out until after your show as his work is great,but disturbing....) Reaaally like the ptera-er... gecko in the foreground...and as usual,the colors and mood are amazing! It's purt-near perfect! Of course, being an artist, you will find those miniscule details missed by the commoners,and you will paint details and lighting tricks that only the most acute could detect! A month is too long...You gotta work faster! Coffee, vitamins, Jolt Cola and No-Doz can help you to add add 3-8 new pieces a show! Three weeks away! I expect, no, demand at least 2 more,maybe 3 more paintings for the show! You can do it! Whenever a show is looming, it's always good to have an inner Drill-Instructor.Strike when the iron is hot, go for broke, get when the gettin's good.You are on fire right now,so paint! paint! You can post 'em when they're done! Excellent work,very humbling to us other artists!
And remember,the more paintings you paint,the madder GROG will become! Indubitedly!

H

On 2006-10-27 23:41, little lost tiki wrote:
...Strike when the iron is hot, go for broke, get when the gettin's good.You are on fire right now,so paint! paint! You can post 'em when they're done!...

You forgot "Paint one for the Gipper"

C

Aloha! Congrats on this painting, it's great!!!!

[ Edited by: Clarita 2006-11-13 10:21 ]

C

Yea! That one came out really really cool. Those colors are very moody and give the whole deal a wonderfuly mysterious vibe to it. Good stuff!

Chongolio

Thanks! Really, that last piece was a lesson in color, or something... but now I'm on to another lesson. I'm seriously working my color sense, so this one is rougher and faster, so I can get the whole color thing down faster.

I gotta get to a dinner w/some folks saying good bye to me, (I'm moving to Kona at the end of the month). Hope I'll be back to work on this one some more tonight.

Right on Brad! That red/purple/with teal pops looks splendid! And you got a bridge! I love bridges,the rickety ones are the best! Is that some Shaman's hut? Those two tiki totem/ torch holders at the beginning of the bridge are gonna be cool! Man! You should JUST paint! You could get two of these done a month-that's 24 killer paintings a year! And enough art to produce 2 calendars! This one is gonna be tight! Well worth the wait! Nice double shaka on the guy in the foreground ! Now finish this up....for the Gipper!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2006-11-04 19:22 ]

Hey TC!
Thanks LLT. I really liked the post of the full Pele piece on your thread! Wow, that's great! I got back, and did a bit more on the hut.

More Sunday. Thanks for watching the paint dry TC!

S
squid posted on Sun, Nov 5, 2006 12:40 AM

Can't wait for da show to see these babies in person!!!!!

Whatchoo talkin' 'bout Brad? Moving to Kona?
Alas Tiki Shark, I hardly knew ye...

Nice painting, TikiShark. I saw this while searching the site for a local artist who might be interested in doing a large piece for my tiki lounge. It's a work in progress, but is almost done and I'm not finding the time to get the sign done myself. It's about 48" high by 76" wide. I met someone at a Harvest Festival show last year, but lost his card. Do you know of anyone who might be interested in doing this kind of project? It's a home bar and entertainment room. It can be done here or can be removed from the wall to be done offsite.

Hey Hey TC,
Squid, I'm moving, but I'm not moving out of your life! I'll be back for Tiki Oasis, and Tikis and Terrors, and I'll be staying on your couch... (kidding sort of!) And heck, I'll be here on TC every time I paint. I'll just be telling about how great the last sunset off Kona was.
Califorinalife - sorry, bad timing huh? I'm heading out of state, or I'd might do it. However, there's several local artist's - and always my good buddy and inspiration, Ken Ruzic... look at Little Lost Tiki's thread. He works BIG like dat. You know It all depends on what kind of Tiki art style turns you on.
And speaking of painting... here's more of Mystic Tiki number 6.

Boy, the colors came out all wonky on these shots! It's a pink mysticy sunset, with a blue elements, and a teal light in the hut and beneath the tiki. Tomorrow morning I'll drag the canvas out side and get a shot. Then, tomorrow afternoon I'm off to Kona fer a few days getting the new digs settled.
Thanks for all the nice support - I may be moving to the island, but I always be here. On TC!

Tiki Shark

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2006-11-05 18:56 ]

H
hewey posted on Sun, Nov 5, 2006 11:17 PM

Even the quickies look tops :)

Where's the light source for the tiki coming from?

Hey Hewey,
Hmm good question... You mean I have to have a logical light source? Damn! :) Well, the idea is that there is some sort of mystic-green-fire behind the rocks stacked at the base of the tiki.

Tiki Shark

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2006-11-05 23:22 ]

Hey Tiki Shark,
Bummer for us that you're moving, but I suspect great for you! Your work is awesome and I look forward to seeing more in the future. Keep 'em coming! Thanks for getting back to me.

Here, in the morning sunlight this shot a more of the canvas's true colors. Except... still not quite. Oh well, not an exact science I guess.

Beautiful Brad,simply Beautiful! And the painting ain't too bad either! :D
Thanks for reviving the teal,it looks BOMBZ! Sad to say we won't see any progress for about a week! Make sure to draw a lot and suck up all the inspiration during your journey! You got a good strategy,leave 'em wanting more! Have a safe trip!

Hey ken, thanks! I like the teal also. This one is very "California" - it's heavy on the black light lounge colors. I wanted to do one where you'd hear a re-verb twang surf guitar just by looking at it.
Yeah I got a special super-heavy-thick-natural-colored-card-stock like sketch book to draw cool "Big Island" inspired sketches in while I'm on my trip. Off to the Volcano!

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Nov 6, 2006 1:11 PM

Looking great as always TSA - the mouth detail looks kinda like an "x-ray cannibal" effect - like the little guy has just been eaten, and you can see him inside the big guy's mouth before he goes down his gullet. I'm digging the palette on this one too.

Hey Paipo, thanks! That x-ray idea is really cool. Glad you dig the new tiki so far. It's amazing how many different takes there can be on "tiki", and after seeing such great art by so many other tiki artist's it seems as endless as endless as the imagination.

Anyways, so here I am in Kona Hawaii, and I HAVE to share this awesome sight I just saw with you great folks on TC. It's a full moon, or close to it. Kona is at the sea shore on the west side of the island. Looking up the enormous sweeping expanse of the volcano to the east, I see the moon just rising over it's rim. It's dazzling in it's brightness as there are no enormous amounts of city lights to subdue it's brilliance, as in LA. The moon is causing the "Vog", (volcanic fog) that wreaths the higher areas of the volcano above the coast, to luminous with this ghostly blue/white color. It's glowing fog - like in that old horror movie "the Fog". As I look up the vog is sweeping out long tentacles across the sky. Very eerie and very beautiful! By the time I went inside and got my camera, the moon had risen further and the effect is gone. Just another mystic tropical night in Hawaii.
Laters~

G
GROG posted on Wed, Nov 8, 2006 9:27 AM

You've got more talent than one man deserves, and now you're posting from Hawaii about beautiful sights you've seen!!!! The only way that you can make GROG hate you any more than GROG does now, is to say you are there with Brooke Burke.

Bastard.

Grog,
Brooke says "Hi"!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Nov 8, 2006 5:38 PM

On 2006-11-08 00:02, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
Looking up the enormous sweeping expanse of the volcano to the east, I see the moon just rising over it's rim. It's dazzling in it's brightness as there are no enormous amounts of city lights to subdue it's brilliance, as in LA. The moon is causing the "Vog", (volcanic fog) that wreaths the higher areas of the volcano above the coast, to luminous with this ghostly blue/white color. It's glowing fog - like in that old horror movie "the Fog". As I look up the vog is sweeping out long tentacles across the sky.

Cant wait to see the painting with a tiki in the foreground :)

G
GROG posted on Wed, Nov 8, 2006 6:12 PM

You know, it is fire season right now with the Santa Anas blowing. It would be a shame if you came back and a fire wiped out all your artwork while you were in Hawaii.

Say, do Mai Tais really taste better in Hawaii watching the sunset?

GROG forgives you Brooke, who can turn down a trip to Hawaii?
Tiki-Shark on the other hand..........

tiki shark your art is awesome keep it up

Thanks Hewy, tiki Beat and LLT....and , uh, Grog. Yeah, it's another day in Hawaii, and (I kid you not) as I was having morning breakfast I could watch spinner dolphins jumping in the bay a mere 100 yards away. (sheesh! I thought they only did that in the ocean parks) Back in burbank late tonight!

Welcome back to the Mainland,Brad! Hope to see you at the TongaHut on Saturday Night! Yowza!

your art is insane tiki shark!! i'm in love with it.

Thanks Hala Kahiki! It's always great to get feed back from someone, especially if they say such nice things! Got back early this morning form the Big Island, red eye flight. Jet lagged, but I came into the studio anyways - cause I was excited to get back to this painting - I knew I was about to fill in the details on the two torch holding tikis. Now, I'll sleep walk over to the Tonga Hut to see Tiki Tony's latest painting and get inspired!

Schweeeeeeeet Torch Holders Brad!
And those sky colors are bedazzling! Maybe you could carve up a pair on the islands to flank your new hut! Great seeing your face last night at the Tonga Hut! Tiki Tony's art really is inspiring enough, but in person....wowza! Man! You are gonna be missed! Hopefully you can still exhibit with us Haoles on the mainland.And just because you're on the islands doesn't mean you can stop posting your incredible paintings!!! Please do some smaller pieces so we can actually afford the painting and shipping in the future! But don't be afraid to go big as well! You'll find the impact even more powerful! One of these pieces at 6 foot plus would blow the tops right off the volcanoes! See you on Sunday at your show!

Thanks LLT! I had a great time at the Tonga Hut. All the art was really great, even Grogs! Very inspirational!
I finished number 6. I was so jazzed after the Tonga Hut show, and had to get it done by tonight. I'll get a better photo in sunlight tomorrow.

Here's Mystic Tiki Painting #6 taken in morning light. Better colors.

Hmmm, let's see if I can get one more painted before the big art show this week end!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 4327 replies