Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Jimmy Lums Aloha Lounge & Restaurant , Flint, MI (restaurant)

Pages: 1 14 replies

C
Chub posted on Thu, Oct 5, 2006 12:59 PM

Name:Jimmy Lums Aloha Lounge & Restaurant
Type:restaurant
Street:429 S. Dort Hwy.
City:Flint
State:MI
Zip:48503-2846
Phone:(810) 233-7081

Description:

C
Chub posted on Thu, Oct 5, 2006 1:01 PM

M
Matiki posted on Fri, Oct 6, 2006 6:14 AM

Where you able to peer inside to see what remains of the place? Is it worth a drive from Detroit to check out?

C
Chub posted on Fri, Oct 6, 2006 8:59 PM

I went to Jimmy Lum's with a few friends (Freddy and Amy Fortune) for dinner and drinks, maybe five years ago. The front doors had cool handles in the shape of moais. Once inside, it was pretty obvious to us that the place had recently been badly "updated". No tikis anywhere to be seen, except for some more moai handles on the bathroom doors. There was a small dance floor and it looked like there could have been an area for a band at one time, but in it's place was one huge big screen TV. Cool ceiling beams and some thatch on the walls. The bar was in the middle of the restaurant. We ordered a Kava Bowl drink (very good!) and I ordered the Volcano Steak, which came to table totally on fire. After dinner we kinda peeked around and found some very cool pictures mounted on a wall of Jimmy Lum serving drinks to celerities like Milton Berle and others. Most of the pictures looked to be from the mid 60's. We talked to the bartender for a while and found out that she was Jimmy's widow. Apparently Jimmy had died earlier that year and Mrs. Lum was just plain tired of running the restaurant herself, and so it was up for sale. Good thing we got there when we did, because two weeks later the place was closed for good. I haven't been there since. Let us know if you go up there and see what's going on with it now.

C
Chub posted on Mon, Apr 6, 2009 9:17 PM

Trying to do a little history research on Jimmy Lum's, I came across this from 2002. Looks like they go caught serving the Kava Bowl to kids!

COMPLAINT NO:
VIOLATION DATE :
12/07/2002
D.B.A :
JIMMY LUM'S ALOHA LOUNGE
ADDRESS :
429 S DORT
FLINT MI 48503
03-19-2003 Hearing Held SWARTZ CREEK FLESSLAND-ASEVEDO-GIBSON NEGOTIATED SETTLEMENT
COST $11
03-20-2003 365 DAY IMMEDIATE SUSPENSION, SUSP WAIVED IF LICENSE IS PLACED IN ESCROW FOR
TRANSFER TO ENTITY APPROVED BY THE MLCC & ALL ALCOHOLIC LIQUOR ON THE LIC'D PREMISES SHALL
BE TAKEN INTO POSSESSION BY THE MLCC & REMOVED FROM THE LIC'D PREMISES UNTIL SAID SUSP IS
SERVED OR WAIVED OR FURTHER ORDER OF THE MLCC & 1)$300; 9)$500, SEC 801(2);
2)3)4)5)6)7)8)10)DISMISSED. FOR A TOTAL OF $800 OR 40 DAY SUSP. NEGOTIATED SETTLEMENT
LICENSEE(S) :
ALOHA LOUNGE, INC.
CRP
CHARGE :

1. PREMISES OCCUPIED AFTER THE LEGAL HOUR: 2) PERSONS CONSUMING AFTER THE LEGAL HOUR: 3)
    SALE TO MINOR-AMYU BARNETTE (20): 5) SALE TO MINOR-LINDSEY HOLMES (20): 7) SALE TO MINOR-
    HECTOR CARRERA-RODRIGUEZ (20): 9) SALE TO MINOR-VERONICA GATICA (20): 4)6)8)10) ALLOW
    MINORS TO CONSUME: (FLINT PD)
    INTEREST :
    COMM. ORDER :
    COUNTY:
    GENESEE

Anyone have any old pics, mugs, matches, or anything from this joint?

[ Edited by: chub 2009-04-07 12:01 ]

C
Chub posted on Tue, May 26, 2009 10:47 AM

Well, it appears this place is still open, but looks really bad judging from the pics on their myspace page. http://www.myspace.com/alohalounge

Hey Chub. I have been trying for a long time to dig up anything of value on this place with no luck. I found the same complaints listing that you posted but that was all. Something has got to turn up some where.

You got that right Uncle Trav

Here is a matchbook from Jimmy Lum's Aloha.

DC

Hey Chubs -

A little Flint, Mi info on Aloha Lounge. I took over remodeling the building in May of this year (2009), I nearly had it finished at the end of July. We painted the whole building, remodeled the bathrooms, cleaned EVERYTHING (it was disgusting) and we were in the process of getting the kitchen up and running again with intentions of honoring some of the original menu.

I left for my first weekend off during the last weekend in July and came back to a locked building and a newly booked Tuesday happy hour band standing outside. My boss shut the place down while I was gone and I still have not seen or heard from him to get my belongings out of the building.

I can tell you that I do believe I still have one of the old menus in my possession. In the building are all the old serving dishes, but I did not find any of the original glass wear. (It all may still be packed up in the back storage shed. The building itself is falling apart and it is very sad. The compressor for the walk-in has problems, the keggerators make squealing noises and it has four sub floors from Jimmy himself. The grease was released under the building.

All of the old photos of when the place was new and of all the celebrities who used to visit there are in the possession of a woman named Pam. She was the second owner, my boss was the third.

There is an original stainless steel prep fridge still there and it is beautiful. I did my best to revive the place. I am now in $4500 worth of debt and have a long court battle ahead of me. I truly hope the next owner takes better care of the place... and the people who work there.

If you have any other questions, feel free to email me... [email protected]

And that was 2010 that I took over, not 2009... 2009 is when my boss purchased the building from what I could tell.

What a horrible thing to have happen. As having something similar happen to me, this makes me very angry. I sincerely hope your legal issues are resolved quickly and you get everything you invested back.

C
Chub posted on Thu, Dec 2, 2010 10:05 AM

Here's a copy of the menu I picked up on my only visit to the restaurant; Probably around 1999 or 2000.

Here is another view of the place.

The Darth Vader of Fu joints?

Pages: 1 14 replies