Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Hukilau Pictures

Pages: 1 2 77 replies

T

I forgot to mention, the Mai-Kai photo exhibit was amazing! Mahalo to the Mai-Kai for sharing all those priceless photos from their archives.

Heres a few I took. I would have been happy driving 20 plus hours
just to meet Bungy! Every now and then you meet someone who you will
never forget, their zest for life changes you for the better.
Thanks for the dance Bungy!

O
Otto posted on Fri, Oct 13, 2006 11:42 PM

On 2006-10-12 09:17, bigbrotiki wrote:
The responsibility of being the Big Brother is not easy to handle sometimes. Those who know me in a small group, know me as an open person on a one to one basis, usually. And you might not think this, but I am constantly worried that me not remembering the names and faces of ALL the Tikiphiles I have met throughout the years will be interpreted as arrogance, and apparently it was in the above mentioned case.

And then all Saturday I was upstairs seeing all the lectures (I even had to get food brought up there to eat something)and do mine, and BAM it was time to head over to the Mai Kai...
[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2006-10-12 09:19 ]

I missed the original complaint here but I just have to throw my two cents in.
First off I have known Sven for a very long time and while he can be dry he is not rude.
He has given a lot to the Tiki scene and the people in the scene.

Try sharing your life, knowledge and passion with about 500 people in a matter of days (hours?) and see how you feel. Just to talk to so many different people is draining, let alone trying to keep to a schedule or, God forbid, take some personal time for yourself.

Sven's forte is his research and diligence and he shared that with everyone in the form of a slide show. He delivered on that.

I don't think it is fair to complain if he failed to be cordial to every single person at an event the size of Hukilau (I know how tough it is Sven!)

Pop, if you are lurking I think an apology is in order

B

You were the funniest, happiest Hukilauer in Ft Lauderdale.. It wa sa PRIVELEGE sharing the dance floor with you... and a million ohters!!! Bungy

B

My last comment should have gone to Tikiskip!!! I still can't figure out a computer!
To ALL!!! I had a great time.. you were all so sweet and happy!!! It was a thrill putting faces to email names!!! (I still can't remember teh real names!) I really enjoyed meeting SVEN!! Who was so kind to me!!!And King Kukulele who is so funny!!! And Big Al, who, just when I thought that noone could possibly invent somehting new!!! DID!!! Both your singing act and your carving were terrific!!! I had a great time, and will see ya'll again some time!! If any of you get this way to Central Texas, give me a "Howdy", and I'll get out my ukulele and grass skirt.. and do Hukilau!!
Iorana!!! Auntie Bungy

Tikikaliki did as great job! What a project!!!

T

Just a few pics...

Me and the missus at the Wreck waiting for the mermaid.

The sis and b-in-law(Lucydiamondtiki).

The funniest couple at Hukilau.

Me and my new friend TravelingJones.

Ooh..someone picking a Mai Kai tiki's nose.

S

Had a blast, no doubt due to starting with a Jet Pilot.

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 04:27:15 ]

I had a great time as far as I can recall. It was great to see all of the awesome people I met at the SF Pub Crawl out here & have a chance to meet some great new folks. To bad the Wahine could not make this one. I wish that I could have made it to all of the seminars but my schedule of consumption proved to be non-conducive to these activities.

Do I know you people?

These guys threatened to beat me up if I did not take their picture! Really!

Cheer up, will ya!

I did not get a chance to meet these guys but they looked like a whole lot o' fun!

Great Balls Of Fire!

Here are some more people I did not get a chance to meet. It must be my shy nature.
By the way, HI! I'm Bill... er "Bohemiann".
Sometimes I get confused and stop answering to Bill and it really confuses people at work.

Here's one of those shots that did not really work out till I photo-shopped the s*%#! out of it

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2006-10-15 18:53 ]

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2006-10-15 19:08 ]

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2006-10-15 19:10 ]

MH

Photos from Mr. Ho's camera! Enjoy!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30459236@N00/sets/72157594334997976/

(on Flickr)

Okonkuluku!

Here is a great picture of various FOM members during the Hukilau 2006..................

Jet Sterling, Trader Jeff, Chisel Slinger, KuKu Ahu, Yertikimom, Tiki Rodder

What a GREAT time!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

K
Kim posted on Wed, Oct 25, 2006 9:46 AM

These are some selected photos from our trip-- Tikitronic & I were in New Orleans for a few days before we headed in to the Hukilau, so the set includes our New Orleans pictures too.

It was lovely to see so many of our tiki friends again, and we had a great time, especially at the gorgeous Mai Kai! And we took note of some good ideas to...uh...borrow! for the next NW Tiki Kon!

Tikimama and myself enjoying a delicious Sidewinder's Fang!

Melintur and I trying to decide on beverages...ummm, Mai Kai.

Monkeyskull against a background of the jam-packed bar on Saturday night.

Some lovely shots of the Mai Kai.

The tasty Mystery Bowl at the Mai Kai!

The rest of the set (which is not anywhere near all the photos Tikitronic took!) is here.

Kim,
Those pictures of the Mai Kai are great! At the risk of sounding too nerdy, what kind of camera did you use? The exposure is perfect - and thats saying alot in such a dark environment.

MARK

K
Kim posted on Wed, Oct 25, 2006 11:20 AM

Digitiki, I'm pretty sure it was a Olympus SP-350 that we purchased at Costco, but I'll confirm with Mr. Tikitronic, since he was the talented photographer.

He took a bazillion picutres, and, while many didn't turn out, quite a few are very good! Apparently drinking+low light=many crap pictures, so you have to take mutliples to get a good shot. :P

I

Formikahini recently sent me some pictures she took of the Monday afternoon 'Mutual of Hukilau Tiki Wildlife Spectacular' some of us witnessed. I have downsized and clipped some of the pictures, to make them load quicker .... and will let Formika's words and pictures describe the rest.

" The magical spectacle at the beach started with pelicans – LOTSA pelicans.
Here is the "before" photo at the beach on the Monday of Hukilau - the moment in which we were wondering why in the HECK so many freakin' pelicans were hanging around. "

" When I approached the water to snap a shot, I heard everyone scream and what sounded like hard rain hitting the water. I looked from behind my camera to see a bajillion fish jumping – great churning waves of flying silver, shimmering in the bright Florida sun. "

Note the fellow in the next photo, undoubtedly thinking/praying,
"GET ME THE F*** OUT OF HERE!!!"

That’s why the pelicans were hanging around. And why were the fish jumping? To sacrifice themselves as a tasty treat for the hungry birds, now swooping in for the kill? Ha! To avoid being shark bait! We didn’t see the underwater predators, but a woman with whom I spoke earlier said she’d seen a few there. Nurse sharks, 2 or 2&1/2 feet long. Coooool.

Thanks to Formikahini for capturing these pics. I was almost wondering if it all really happened, or if it was the result of a 4 days of excessive rum consumption.

Vern

CL

Yikes, considering that we were all hanging around under the full moon, 50 feet out in the water, sipping rum till sunrise every night...I'm glad glad we didn't know about that. Oh well, guess there's safety in numbers if you're not a little ol' fish. :)

On 2006-10-25 17:32, ikitnrev wrote:
That’s why the pelicans were hanging around. And why were the fish jumping? To sacrifice themselves as a tasty treat for the hungry birds, now swooping in for the kill? Ha! To avoid being shark bait! We didn’t see the underwater predators, but a woman with whom I spoke earlier said she’d seen a few there. Nurse sharks, 2 or 2&1/2 feet long. Coooool.

Thanks to Formikahini for capturing these pics. I was almost wondering if it all really happened, or if it was the result of a 4 days of excessive rum consumption.

Vern

S

Wow, that was close.
Time for another drink.

On 2006-10-25 17:56, Coco Loco wrote:
Yikes, considering that we were all hanging around under the full moon, 50 feet out in the water, sipping rum till sunrise every night...I'm glad glad we didn't know about that. Oh well, guess there's safety in numbers if you're not a little ol' fish. :)

To avoid being shark bait! We didn’t see the underwater predators, but a woman with whom I spoke earlier said she’d seen a few there. Nurse sharks, 2 or 2&1/2 feet long. Coooool.

I'm sure some of you Pee'd in the water at night also! That attracts sharks faster than tiki freaks on free rum!

TB

Thanks to Formikahini for capturing these pics. Vern

Ditto, and thank you, Vern, for posting them. They are awesome!!!

A
aquarj posted on Sun, Nov 5, 2006 6:27 PM

We had a blast on a trip that was a bunch of firsts. First airplane trip for our 14 month old daughter, first Hukilau, and first time to the Mai Kai for our entire group of 9 people. Here are some of our favorite pics (better late than never)...

One of my favorite photos from the Mai Kai exhibit at the Clipper.

Sven with Humu and Naomi (my Naomi, not his).

Naomi goads thejab into presenting his coif to the camera, while JT shows his book to Sven and Humu, and in the distance Stuckie's head towers over Sven's shoulder.

Billy Mure!

Billy provides a misplaced undergarment to I Belli.

This mosaic thing captured my attention on the way to the Mai Kai. Just wondered if it's old or new.

Me and Naomi and Nina in the Mai Kai gardens.

This guy with a ukulele just kept showing up all over the place and wanting to play. Ok, you can play a song or two, but don't expect a tip! Seriously though, it was nice to finally meet Hilary and the Princess.

One of many favorite tikis in the back gardens.

Otto getting ready for Mai-Kai-tainment.

The characteristically well-dressed Charles Phoenix exchanges a couple words with my sister Eileen and her daughter Serena (who is one of his most vocal fans).

Tiki Bob shows me the backstage gardens, with that great new addition - the tiki from Basement Kahuna.

View toward the stage and the interior from the back gardens.

Let's watch the show!

-Randy

Nice pics! I need a new camera....

If there's still anybody out there who hasn't had enough photos of Hukilau, there are a few more here.

On 2006-11-05 18:27, aquarj wrote:

This mosaic thing captured my attention on the way to the Mai Kai. Just wondered if it's old or new.

Yes.....?.... The building was built in late 70's so I guess that qualifies as old? Will get back to you soon with real date and picture of similar mural from downtown....

Here's TofuJoe's & my set of Hukilau photos!

Finally we are getting around to putting some pice from the hukilau up.
these first few are from the trip to Ft. Lauderdale

in front of the Aku Tiki in daytona

we had lunch at Traders right next door

seeing were else we need to stop on the way down.

The Aku TIki

And once we got to Ft. Luaderdale at our booth

nice mask from KreepyTiki

Fridays fun

And fianlly at the Mai Kai

Us with the mistress of ceremonies for the weekend, Thanks for being so great TK.

B

On 2006-11-05 18:27, aquarj wrote:
We had a blast on a trip that was a bunch of firsts.

-Randy

This Mosaic has been there for at Least 40 years. I lived about 1 mile from there back in the mid 60's. That is the 'Kennan" Building and it was there when I moved there but then it was fairly new, so now it would be considered middle-aged and not Old byold city "Old" standards.

On 2006-10-12 09:17, bigbrotiki wrote:
You know what...I was really overwhelmed that wonderful weekend. By nature, I am not a very social person, and I always hated family gatherings...my relatives' gatherings, that is. But this was a gathering of my TRUE family, the one I really feel akin to, and still, I simply got burned out. I had not met sooo many people for sooo long, and EVERYBODY was there, it was just too much! I just shut down at some point in the day. I didn't even talk to people that I really wanted to meet, like Benzart: All I could utter was a casual "Hello" and stumble on!!!

I really apologize to him and his wife, and to the all the people I did not spend enough time with: Swanky, Tikibob, Elicia, Hanford and Michelle, Dave and Lezley, Alice, Casey, Zulu Magoo, Danny, Pablus, and all the others I can't think off right now (again: bad Sven!), please don't take it personally, I am just socially inept.

The responsibility of being the Big Brother is not easy to handle sometimes. Those who know me in a small group, know me as an open person on a one to one basis, usually. And you might not think this, but I am constantly worried that me not remembering the names and faces of ALL the Tikiphiles I have met throughout the years will be interpreted as arrogance, and apparently it was in the above mentioned case.

Again, I can only apologize for that misinterpretation, it was not my intention. But please do not insult my friends whose love for my work and me I truly appreciate, I know that their sympathy is genuine and honest, and has nothing to do with ass-kissing. Thank you for the love, kids!

I guess I should not have spent the first half of Friday having fun doing a midcentury modern tour of Sunny Isles with my friends Charles and Pete, because that cost me my chance to really peruse the vendors room and meet everybody.

I DID meet one of my main goals though, to share the complete print out of my new book with Ken and Heather, and Mimi and Rob, as thanks for their contribution. And when I was done with that, the vendors room was closed.

And then all Saturday I was upstairs seeing all the lectures (I even had to get food brought up there to eat something)and do mine, and BAM it was time to head over to the Mai Kai...

I can only IMAGINE how Christie must have felt, I don't know how she does it!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2006-10-12 09:19 ]

Must of been that growing up in that hotbed of, of, of, tiki, Hamburger, Germany
"I AM SOCIALLY INEPT" !!!

MT

That was sooooo 2006! Why dredge that up now, TikiLaLe?

The NYC tiki contingent promises to be bigger and badder
than 2007!!!! Look out for the Big (Pine) Apple!!!

Pages: 1 2 77 replies