Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Ben est là's stuff: 03/24 Creative Chimps' masterpiece in Paris !

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 737 replies

That much wood!
Go bigger Ben!

B

Yeah Seeksurf go on on different woods, I'll watch carefully !

Thanks Robin, I'll show you the pix as soon as possible :)

Thanks Tikidreams, I'll go bigger when I'll have my toolz :lol:

Ben.

[ Edited by: benella 2007-11-15 10:36 ]

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Nov 15, 2007 11:30 AM

Time for a big log Benjamin. Let's see the big chippies! Nice log pile!

B

Thanks G$, I hope being chipping big logs very soon :wink:

Ben

Very cool pieces Benjamin, can't wait to see when you get into those bigger ones!

J

I'd like to see you attack a bigger log as well. You do so well on the smaller tikis I'm sure you would do very well on something larger with more room to work on.

B

Aloha,

I've finished this little fellow, at least.
These are progress pix :

Waiting for a mouth:

With mouth and teeth : now he can bite !

With chisel texture around the eyes:

And now, all sanded, waiting for stain:

Staining tomorrow, I think this boy needs some rest :D

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

S

Very Nice Ben, great little touches going on.

T

Tres cool monsieur Benella, a quand les grand format???

R
Robin posted on Wed, Nov 21, 2007 9:38 PM

Hi Ben...love the detail over the eyes and around the outlines...very nice touch. Yay!

B

Hi there and thanks for tiki #8 !

Thanks to tikifreak1 and J.P for the kind words and encouragement in bigger logs.
Seeksurf: thanks.
Tahitiki: Thanks and hey, do you speak french ? Bigger logs to come :wink:
Robin : Thanks, man. When the piece was almost finished, I wanted to add details and details and details... I think i'll miss carving him :D

Mahalo,

Ben

A
AKUAE posted on Thu, Nov 22, 2007 8:58 AM

Hi Ben,

cool new stuff - hope to seen soon some new picture
i promise also new pics soon from my own Tikis
it's not cool the stolen tools - perhaps i can help you
look in your mailbox
i'm very busy at the moment my new projects are still not finished
bonne soiree
a+
Akuae

B

Ben, you are Really going Above and Beyond the way with your Tiki Detail. Your refined skills are Showing, Keep it up.

B

Thanks Akuae, I've seen your mail : coool !

Thanks Ben : I had a lot of fun on this one especially with the details. The details gave me lust to lots of more for the next tiki : a bigger one :wink:

Mahalo,

Ben.

C

Smooth Ben!! Very nice! love the details, you can be toolless,but you are not talenless at all :) !

B

Thanks Clarita. I was just staining him ! Something a bit red ... :)

Ben.

B

Really nice symmetry, my twin bro! You are also a Tiki Carving Robot!

B

On 2007-11-23 18:49, Bowana wrote:

Thanks Bowana and yeah, I'm a Tiki carving Robot but it was top secret... That's why there's no pix of me ... :D

Ben

B

On 2007-11-24 10:34, benella wrote:

On 2007-11-23 18:49, Bowana wrote:

Thanks Bowana and yeah, I'm a Tiki carving Robot but it was top secret... That's why there's no pix of me ... :D

Ben

Ladies and gentlemen, the very first picture of Benella on TC!

B

Hi all,

Bowana : :lol:

I haven't forgotten tiki since the next piece (that turned a bit awfully !):

Another little piece (sorry) but a bigger piece will be hard to carve only with the C-jack :)

Mahalo,

Ben.

S

Great start Ben, Love that style.

B

Thanks seek, there is still a lot of work to do with him, but I'm happy with the way he turned. Thanks

Ben

R
Robin posted on Sat, Dec 1, 2007 7:56 AM

Hi Ben. Love the beginning of this one. You fit the eyes and cheeks perfectly on that piece of wood and they already look pretty lively. Glad you've left some wood for a strong nose....my first nose practically disappeared!

B

Hi Robin and thanks. Indeed, the nose is always a difficult part to do. Until now every single tiki I did had almost no real nose ! For this one, I left a bit of wood but as you'll see later on the pix, the nose is very far from perfect ... Lesson learned for the next one :wink:

Mahalo,

Ben.

Nice work Ben!

B

Thanks tikidreams, how does it go with your "pierced/non-tatooed" tiki ? :wink:

Ben.

B

Aloha,

Here are a few updated pix of the little fellow:

Did I already sayd I love Marqs ? :D

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

S

Ya, got a cannibal going on there NICE!

B

Thanks for the kind words Seek, it means a lot for me.

Ben.

T

Hi Benjamin.
This is turning out very fine, again. What can I say? Tell us something about the wood.

Will it be for hang-up when finished? I can see, that there is no flat bottom side.

Did I already sayd I love Marqs ?

I didn´t recognize that till now. What is a Marq? :P

Very nice. But I told you to go bigger.
Don´t make a fuss about what the neighbors might say. Tell then that you are an artist and that it has to be like that.

And then tell us about the results.

Thanks for sharing.
tok-tok

B

Thanks Tok Tok.
I will be able to go bigger when I'll have my new chisels and gouges because for the moment, with a "carving jack" I fear it is not enough !

By looking at the pix it is true that the lines are not "viewable" but yes, he's really got a part of a marquesan in his mouth ! :)

Ben.

T

Hi, Benjamin
I was just doing a little joke.
Very good work. Hope, you get some tools for christmas. And a big chain with a padlock for your car-doors.
(Joke again :P)

tok-tok

Looks great - but you ran out of wood. If you'd stop burning all the wood in the streets and throwing it at police you might have something to carve! I understand the problem of running out of space - most of my tikis are created as I carve and I often run out of space for what I want. Great job.

B

Thanks Tok Tok, I understood the joke, my friend :wink: But by looking at the pix, I understood the lines were not very clear too.

Thanks Aloha Station, yes, I ran out of this wood I got from a piece of a branch of a much bigger log of Thuja. The inspiration came slowly and ...... and I ran out of space :) Lesson learned.
Concerning the police, it is strange because I know very well this little town : Villiers le Bel that the whole world knows now !!! The young nervous people broke the local where I work amongst a lot of other places ... They shot a few policemen with real guns whereas guns are forbidden in France ! and they burned no tikis but every car that stayed on their path ! It seemed like a war.
But one week later, I'm still alive :) and I can still carve so : everything's O.K :wink:

Ben.

B

Aloha,

Here are a few pix of the Marqeater.

The hardest work was to carve the marq because it is quite small.
Thanks to the V-scorp and to the gouge-knife !!!
I still have got a lot of work to do with the headress that will be hard to carve beacause the stupid man (me) who cut this piece of wood just cut it the wrong way.
Hope you'll like him (or them):

Mahalo,

Ben

H

I really like the fact that you ran out of room.
It looks like a piece that broke off of a larger carving, as though you were wandering an island paradise and found a treasure from the past.
Very nice work!

R
Robin posted on Wed, Dec 19, 2007 3:41 PM

Hi Ben, Nice to see your work again. This little guy looks clean and nice. Love the design work over the nose, and a fine nose it is! I think Heath's right on about the 'running out of wood.' Whose to say where the tiki starts and stops. Makes for an interesting problem to solve, or resolve.

Happy Holidays!

R.

S

Them look great! THEM or him (the one on top)just has
a full size headdress now. Looks cool.

A
AKUAE posted on Thu, Dec 27, 2007 2:20 AM

Hi Ben,

nice new "little one "
love the details on it.
the big ones will not longer wait for you - hope yopu have some
big logs for your new chisels :)

have a great day

AKUAE

B

Aloha,

So many thanks to Heath, Robin, Seeksurf and Akuae.

And happy new year 2008 !

I'm back from holidays where I could finally carve a bigger tiki (yyyyiiiiiiipppppeeeeeeeee ! ).

Here are some pix of what Santa brought to me:

Chisels, gouges (everything Pfeil :) ) and an electric sander :) :) :) :

With these new super tools I brought with me during my holidays, I found the time to carve a little piece:

I learned that feet are very useful to avoid the tiki to roll when you take a picture :lol:

Better pix (by the sun) to come.

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

S

Yea Ha, dang that's like The Eiffel Tower compared to the other
tikis. Looking great also! you have just transferred your great little guy
into a larger piece of wood. (I sound like your redneck cousin from Alabama)

The wood looks old and hard as a rock? Birch wood from your pile out back right? Nice score on the tools the look nice.

I though G was the copyright holder of the foot shot, but i
also found my self in that predicament. Also have to
comment on the surf slippers NICE!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Jan 3, 2008 11:58 AM

Way to go boss! Now you are gonna be on fire! :D

Yes, the feetz and very important to photography. Just be careful...I'm surprised you attempted such a difficult and dangerous foot shot for your first attempt. However, the padded slippers would likely have protected you from any catastrophic tiki photo accident. 2X style points.

-G

B

Aloha,

Thanks Seeksurf, I love the comparison between the older tikis and the eiffel tower, thanks.
The pix are not as good as I wanted because I took them "by night" but I 'll try to do my best by day today ! Good luck with the surgery on your piece.

Hey G-, thanks. I didn't noticed it but these pix are a kind of tribute to you and your super amazing works, my friend.

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

B
Babalu posted on Fri, Jan 4, 2008 9:27 AM

Yeah!! Ben's got new tools! Your going to be unstoppable now. Nice slippers!

T

Aloha benella,

been watching your thread for some time and thought I had left a comment about your carvings earlier, but looks like I didn't...
Sorry about that, been busy moving and have been reading a lot here since I signed up, but due to lack of internet at home, I didn't reply and post much.
I really like your work, especially the marquesan and the "marqeater". What are you going to do with all the bigger logs you posted 2 pages earlier ?!? I'm going to keep my eyes open for sure.

Santa just got me the same Bosch grinder, and so far I really like it. Most of the tikis I've done so far are too small to benefit from it, but on the last one I finished, it helped me a lot in the end. Have you tried to attach a vaccum cleaner, I haven't but I was wondering if it makes it usable in places where dust matters to others ?

Greetings from Munique, Allemagne

Bobo

B

Aloha,

Babalu: Thanks my friend. Indeed, I'm particularly happy with my new chisels and obsessed with tikis and wood since i got my new toolz.

TraderBob: Thanks for the kind words.
I've been moving too in March 2007 and hadn't internet but by luck, one of my neighbors didn't lock his internet wi-fi connection :) .
It is quite strange because I too thought that I left a post on your thread but just cannot find it, sorry. Your work shows very nice tikis, are you working on something new ?
I loved beginning with small pieces because it gaves me the way to come to bigger tikis even if I still got tons and tons of things to learn from all the carver here on TC. I just use the grinder one time to remove a n ugly coat of varnish I put on the last marq and find it very coool too. I tried to use a vacuum on it but the diameter of my vacuum and the diameter of the grinder is exactly the same :( so i'll have to buy a smaller tube to fit it all together.
I've got a tiki stool to make for home with a wide log my wife found and I think i'll do a totem or 2 big hawaiian tikis with the 2 logs showed 2 pages earlier.

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

B

Wow Ben! Look at those new Chisels and Check out the carving, are the tools magic or have you really been learning a Lot just waiting for the right tools to come along. Excellent work my friend and I'm Looking for Lots more.

B

Hi Ben, thanks for the comment. Indeed, I've been waiting so long for those toolz and it feels so good to have them now. I've planed a lot of things with the big logs I have... pix will follow :wink:

Mahalo,

Ben.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 737 replies