Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Ben est là's stuff: 03/24 Creative Chimps' masterpiece in Paris !

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 737 replies

B

Thanks Seek, I'm trying hard to make him as smooth as possible because the wood has a nice grain and it would be a shame not to show it !

Mahalo,

Ben.

B

Hi,

He's got knees now !

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

B

Tiki Knees is good! This is one Happy Marq, Let him sing! He's got Style, He's got Knees, He Even has a 10 pound key of his very own!
How COOL Is that?

Yes, he's shaping up killer! Nice skeleton key, haven't seen one of those in eons!

B

Benzart: Thanks, he didn't want to give me back the key... that I use to open a little basement where a stock of acacia is waiting for me :)

Surfintiki: Thanks, for the tiki and for the key ! The key was very hard to carve :lol:

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

S

Right On Ben! Looking good you have another full size carve to
be proud of.

B

Thanks Seeksurf, I don't know if i'll have the luck to work on him this week :( Anyway, I have a lot of ideas for new works after having visited an exhibition at the musee du quai branly in Paris: Polynesia, Gods and Goddess. I took some pix there, even if it is forbidden :wink: that I will show very soon.

Thanks,

Benjamin.

A
AKUAE posted on Tue, Jul 22, 2008 1:34 AM

Hi Ben,
your new one rocks - hope you will find time for doing a lot of carving
soon
the exhibition at the quai branly is cool ??? perhaps we will do a little trip after our summer holidays

greets
Akuae

B

Hi Akuae and thanks. The exhibition is not cool, it is simply AMAZING. After having seen all this super stuff on the web and on the books, you will love to see it for real. Tell me if you come to Paris, i'll be happy to meet you.

Benjamin.

B

Pix of the exhibition "polynesia, arts and divinities" at the musee du quai Branly in Paris.

Contrary to a book, what is interesting is that you can see how a tiki's back looks like... Interesting for a carver !

A maori knife/ scarificator :

Some tikis (Marq and Rapanui/Easter Island) near the Cafe/ restaurant "Les ombres" :

Only a few pix of the exhibition that shows hundreds more... but to take pix in museums it is often forbidden in France. My cell was hidden behind a magazine :wink:

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

S

ben i love these pics wow something truly to get exited about.

On 2008-07-22 06:55, benella wrote:
Contrary to a book, what is interesting is that you can see how a tiki's back looks like... Interesting for a carver !

Interesting, yes, AND appreciated!

A
AKUAE posted on Sun, Jul 27, 2008 6:53 AM

Aloha Ben,

i love the easter Island head - thanks for the pictures
more carving updates of your marq ?
mahalo
Akuae

Nice! Paris is rockin the tiki!
That ear on the Marq is interesting, hard to see though. And the Lono looks impressive.
Thanks for postin'

C

oh cool! thanks for the espionage :) !

B

aloha,

Thanks to Seek, 4WD, Akuae, Surfn, Clarita for your entries.

Here is mine !

Boot shot:

Tang on the left and Thuja Marq on the right.

Mahalo,

Ben.

B

Cool tikis Ben, Love the Butt shots. Looks like you got some Great Inspiration from your Museum visit as we all did thanks to your hidden phone, THANKS. those were some shots we don't usually get.

B

Thanks Ben, this visit was a wonderful day for me. Seeing those beauties the ancients carved was a great lesson of patience and lust to carve more and more. Happy you've liked the pix.

Ben.

On 2008-07-22 06:55, benella wrote:

Only a few pix of the exhibition that shows hundreds more... but to take pix in museums it is often forbidden in France. My cell was hidden behind a magazine :wink:

Nice reconnaissance work Agent B! We'll get to the bottom of this carving thing sooner or later. Some nice examples there.

photography forbidden? perhaps the sign should say 'taboo'? :wink:

Now get your butt back to work! *Any prog on the Marq stool?

B

On 2008-08-31 13:56, Tamapoutini wrote:

Now get your butt back to work! *Any prog on the Marq stool?

Sir yes Sir :lol:

Prog on the stool too but not enough... Pix asap :) I learned a lot on woodcarving by making this marq on sanding and on the way "to attack" the wood, respecting the grain... Kahui Whetu was a great support too because Couper and Toia are both very perfectionnists.

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

S

Yes coming along nice.

B

Thanks Seeksurf, it's highly aooreciated :)

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

B

Another butt stuff ... and leg stuuf too !

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

S

Coming along nice! That wood looks hard?

Yeah, lookin great Benjamin!

B

Hi and Thanks Seek and TF1.

Seek: The wood is a bit hard indeed, sanding it without a machine is pure crazyness! It is harder than oak to me, so my chisels have to cut like razor blades ! I have some problems with nicks on one of my gouges that I will have to fix by sharpen it with a water slow grinder, a kind of tormek 1206 ( http://www.tormek.com ) but cheaper ! The nicks on the blade do marks on the wood or breaks the fibers badly and then I have to sand and sand even more.

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

B

Benny, Benny, This tang is looking to Come Alive! No Wonder he is nicking your chisels. Those nick marks are the devil to remove from the wood, especially the Hard stuff but removing them from the chisel is harder yet and it is Important to get them out asap because they can cause the chisel to crack if you let it go too long.
Excellent work on the Tang , I'm Really loving him.

B

Hi Benz and thanks very much for the support and help. I'm going to take my japanese stones for the moment and try to kick those nicks with no delay. I love the gouges and chisels and think about to create one or two with curious knives I already got like those:

I think these are called leather knives.

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

B

Pix of the week !

One say that 2 legs are better to walk !

Sorry for the blurry pix.

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

A
AKUAE posted on Sat, Sep 13, 2008 3:54 AM

Hey Ben,
great to see your update pics
great stuff with great lines
rock on
see ya
akuae

B

Thanks Akuae, anything new with the cannibal/headhunter ?

Mahalo,

Ben.

B

He's got two legs now, but where's the face? :)
Carve on, Benella!

Bowana

B

The face is coming, Bowie, but for now I'm smoothing the boot, doing the feet... A lot of work :lol:

S

Nice Ben!

B

Thanks Seek, hope to see some of your updates soon :)

Ben.

B

Ben, LOVE that butt, you CRACK me up! :lol: the guy IS really looking excellent, keep up the good work and keep Posting these photos. :)

B

Hi Benz, thanks for the kind words. In fact, today I sanded the parts (legs and butt) by hand, so now I have muscles like Scharzenegger ! But I totally forgot to take pix :( sorry. But in a few days... :)

Ben.

R
Robin posted on Fri, Sep 19, 2008 9:31 AM

Wow Benjamin....so much progress in your designs and skills. Nice....so glad I got to catch up with your work a bit. Can't wait to do it again!

A
AKUAE posted on Fri, Sep 19, 2008 1:54 PM

les photos, les photos, les photos,
hope to see the new pics soon
bye
Akuae

B

Hi Robin, I'm soooooo happy to have you back here ! I've been looking to the story you've written on your thread and understood you were very busy. I hope everything is O.K for you and that you will show us tons and tons of new jade stuff very soon :wink:

Hey Akuae, Pix will come on wednesday I hope, thanks for your support, I'm gonna look the progress of the headhunter and tell you all.

Mahalo,

Ben.

Ben-Jammin'! Great! Love the Marq, he is turning out superb! I like how you've shaped the legs and backside, it's not as easy they look. Cant wait til you get to the face!
Your carving space looks exactly like mine. Mine's not so good in the snow though.

B

Hi Surfin and thanks for the words. I agree with you: the space is not so cool with the snow. I'm lucky there is no snow for now but it's becoming really cold nowadays, so I wear a coat and gloves !
To feel warmer, I got the solution: sand all the parts with sand paper in my hands instead of using a machine :lol: I think that's what we call the tiki addiction :lol:

Benjamin.

T

Ben, I here you talking about cold weather and snow. Does this mean you wont be carving for the winter? :( I've been waiting for more of your work to come up for the viewing. :lol: It's starting to get cool here at nights and I hate the cold. So if needed put your snowsuit on and get out there and carve up a storm. :D Ok, forget the storm part and show us your tiki's butt. :lol:

[I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy]
Although, I probably could you one.

[ Edited by: tikipaka 2008-09-22 18:11 ]

H

Sorry for the blurry pix.

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

Nice arse! (.)
So far, so good, me friend. Ready to see some mo'! (especially the front, and particularly, the face.) I have one of this style on my 'to-do' list but I can't finish things I started months ago as it is.

B

Aloha,

Hi Tikipaka and thanks. Nothing can stop me about the carvings, even the snow :lol: I have got a big snowsuit and amazing warm gloves and if needed, i'll carve in the house of my mother (I only got a flat !) :wink:

Hi Howland, how nicely is coming your Hawaiian masterpiece? Thanks for the comps, I'll do my best to take pix today but won't have time to carve :( (to much work) but thursday will be another day :wink: The face is not begun yet but this marq will be different than the ones I made.

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

B

Update of the week !

Especially sanding, feet soon ( I hope)

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

S

Yes! Nice butt cheek. Looking good you are doing great lots
of meat on this guy.

B

Hey Seek, thanks for the support, how is your tall Lono now ?

Benjamin.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 737 replies