Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Ben est là's stuff: 03/24 Creative Chimps' masterpiece in Paris !

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 737 replies

B

Thanks for the pix, the name couldn't be found. Your newest piece (in your cool vice) looks like he will be pretty neat. Take plenty of progress shots!

B

It's time to update :

Benjamin.

On 2007-02-02 00:26, benella wrote:
It's time to update :

Very nice. It's now time for another update...

Cheeky-Tama :)

C

Cool! keep posting,Greetings!

Y
Yubaba posted on Sun, Feb 4, 2007 7:34 PM

Hey Benella
Looking good with that Lono, what kind of wood are you using?

Greetz

B

Thank you, Yubaba.
I don't know what kind of wood it is because I found it just cut from the tree (it seemed) in the street ! This could be spruce wood but i'm not sure.

Benjamin.

B

Thanks Clarita, I frequently follow your nice work too.

Benjamin.

B

Still looking good, have you done any recent work on this guy?

B

Thanks Benzart. Indeed, I made him a tongue and I begun on the teeth. I will update soon.

Benjamin.

B

Ki a ora,

Update with a lens my father bought in 1975. I just found it in my mess :lol:

I worked on the teeth, the part inside the mouth, the tongue and the upper lip.

For nine inch nails fans "with teeth" (and for the others too)

Picture with the lens.

To go on with Nine inch nails: "the Marq has been made"... but not finished:

Thanks for looking,

Benjamin.

M
McTiki posted on Tue, Feb 6, 2007 9:10 AM

Nice carves Ben. Keep em coming. It's getting inspirational in here.

Mahalo

McTiki

B

Ben I Really Love that Lono, Looks familiar. Love the Marq too but I'm partial to the Lono Guyz for some reazon.More updates yet. You know that as soon as you post a picture it is Old and needs to be updated.
Awesome looking Lens! What camera do you have?

Y

Hey Benella, good things going on here

Not to make you jealous or anything....:D

B

Thanks Mc tiki, Benz and Yubaba for the words.

Benz - Lono is my favorite figure too, especially for the headdress that is a real challenge. I have known this is your favorite too by looking again and again at your past thread (lots of lono) that incites me every time to take my carvin' Jack to cut some chips :)

My first camera was a manual Nikon Nikkormat my father bought in 1975 too. Actually I have a Nikon D70s that is numerical. I bought it after my wedding in july 2006 and used it a lot during our honeymoon in Tulum, Mexico ( about 360 pix!). One cool thing is that the old lens works quite well with the Nikon D70s (in manual mode of course).

Yubaba - thanks for the pix, this is an amazing collection you own, very nice :o

New update soon,

Benjamin.

Y

Thanks Ben, the collection is my inheritance from my grandfather, I can't take a decent picture to save my life

c'mon Ben carve it up! I'm dying to see more of your work!

btw, have the riots subsided in Paris?

greetz

B

Thanks Yubaba for the words. I'll update soon the current lono, i promise :wink:
But I'm waiting for more of your pix too :)
What riots are you talking about in paris? In the football stadium ? Or in the streets like in november 2005/2006? There is a lot of mess in France nowadays :lol:

Benjamin.

we all live in a yellow submarine (yellow submarine, yellow submarine).

[ Edited by: benella 2007-02-07 12:37 ]

B

Kia ora,

Some work on the teeth: :D

Benjamin.

B

All right, Benella! Nice looking teeth on that guy. How's the Marq coming along?

B

This guy is looking great Ben, I'm Jealous of your tools and your camera, Mine is only a D-50.
I really love how you are doing your lono, going deep with the detail. Can't wait to see how he turns out.

H

Salut Ben, j`espère que tu va bien! Je vois déjà que tu es très travailleuse.
J´aime ton nouveau Tiki. Il est tés bien! Bien des choses de ma part à voisin, Haikai

B

Kia ora,

Update soon on the Lono.

Tikidav - Thanks for the props. The marq is on stand by for the moment but i'll finish it soon.

Benzart - I'm jealous too. I'm jealous of your style and lens: very good macro for your Tama's moai :o ... and thanks for the kind words.

Haikai - Danke schön für die Komplimente, Herr HaiKai. Ich liebe deine voodoo box, die wunderbach ist. Tschüss.

Benjamin.

[ Edited by: benella 2007-02-23 00:02 ]

B

A bit of work on the headdress:

As you saw, a great influence of maori, -G :wink:

Benjamin.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Feb 26, 2007 4:34 AM

Nice job Benjamin! Very nice swirls. You need to finish this guy up so you can start a Maori Teko or a panel. I'll be watching.....

-Gman

B

Hi -Gman

Thanks for the support.

Benjamin.

B

I'm with GMAN here, the headdress swirls are leading to great things, I Love it.

B

Thanks Benz, your thread was a great inspiration.

Benjamin.

H

Very nice Lono you have going there, Benella. That headress carving is absolutely GREAT!

B

Thanks for the kind words surf & turf.
Hope the rest will go on like this :lol:

Benjamin.

wow! those swirls are crazy. that is gonna be one hell of a piece for sure. great stuff keep posting for us. cant wait for more

B

Thanks Tiki Duddy, don't forget I'm waiting for your new carvings :wink:

Benjamin.

B

Fast update before going to work ( I'm late) :lol:

A Nice Day to all of you TC masters :wink:

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Mar 23, 2007 4:46 AM

Nice job Benjamin, keep pushing forward. Pretty soon he's gonna be a masterpiece!

-G

B

Definitely looking good Ben, I think I see where the headdress is Going and I Love it.

B

Thanks G-man: I hope it will be a masterpiece too :lol:

Ben: Thanks too. I have to say that the headdress is the most difficult thing I'm carving on this Lono, probably due to the fact that I need more different chisels (my birthday arrives on april) :)

Here is a pic of a new french friend I did last week:

Thanks for looking,

Benjamin.

[ Edited by: benella 2007-03-30 23:05 ]

B

Hi all TCers,

Update pix on the moai:

Have a nice day.

Benjamin.

B

Ben, Nice Moai! What beautiful wood is that? You are doing well with your limited tools, just keep going.

B

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the kind words, that means a lot for me :)
This wood is a broken piece of a log I found in the forest. It might be oak varnished with a wild cherry stained varnish. Hope it is clear :lol:

Benjamin.

T

Nice piece Benjamin! I love trhe moai - good looking wood.

B

Thanks T-gap. I found the wood by luck !

TD

heyHEY looking good. like the orangish tinge to that one.
great stuff

B

Thanks Duddy, I did'nt know how the color would turn :)

H

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRSTDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRSTDAY DEAR BENELLA ......!
I hope you have a beautful and sunny day and enjoy some Mai Tai. Take one for me.

Greetings to the birthday boy, Haikai

B

Thank you Kai,

I took a Mai Tai for you, man.
Waiting patiently for Monday to buy some chisels :wink:

B

Kia Ora,

Sunday update:

This lono is supposed to be hanged by his back.

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

we all live in a yellow submarine (yellow submarine, yellow submarine).

[ Edited by: benella 2007-04-15 03:56 ]

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Apr 15, 2007 5:40 AM

That is looking fantastick, Benjamin. It looks like you are getting very close to the end, eh? A beauty of a carving for sure. What do you have left to do and what do you have in mind for the finish?

-G

B

Thanks G-man, yep I'm close to the end.

The next steps are: a hole in the back for hanging it (but it's not a pendant !), a bit more definition on the nose and the favorite activity of a carver: sanding, sanding and sanding :lol:

For the finish, I'm thinking of a clear coat poly or a varnish 'satinee' but no stain because I reserve it for maori pieces :wink:

Benjamin.

Benella, the Lono is looking nice, the head crest is very ornate for such a small piece. Is it a wall hanging piece?

B

Thank you Sneaky.

Yep, this piece will be hanging on a wall.
The head crest is ornate because of my love in maori art :lol:

Benjamin.

[ Edited by: benella 2007-04-15 13:12 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 737 replies