Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

****We Need MORE TIKI Carvings****

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 395 replies

B

Come on all you tiki artists out there, where are your tikis, is everyone on vacation? did everyone run outta logs, is it Raining at your house, did you break your chisels or your Camera? I Know you guys are out there carving tikis and stuff, we need to see it. Do I hafta get on my hands and kneez and Beg?(well I am Not doing that?) If you can't post pix then just Tell us about them.

[ Edited by: Benzart 2006-11-04 19:51 ]

L
Loki posted on Sat, Nov 4, 2006 5:11 PM

Benzo...if my honey do list ever gets done i've got a stack o' logs just waiting to become some new masks...damn honey do lists...but does installing bamboo flooring count?

[ Edited by: loki 2006-11-05 04:27 ]

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Nov 4, 2006 5:18 PM

Loki,

Honey-do lists are un-tiki and so last-year.

-Gman

I got to do a little carving today!!

K

I just started carving a couple weeks ago. I already have a couple cuts and an collection of chisels to show for it.

With the cold weather here in Toledo arriving soon, I thought it would be a good way to whittle away the hours.

Get it.

I kill me.

J

Welcome aboard Konakenny. Start posting! Toledo is not far from here. Gettin' cold.

I am going to expand Benzart's request to the lurkers as well. Jump on board and start posting. I know there are a bunch of you out there that have tikis or pacific art to show. Don't be shy. We were all lurkers once.

JP

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2006-11-04 18:53 ]

8T

Ben's bringin' the pressure!! Well, I haven't done too much since Coon tiki but a replica of my 8FT tiki which is about 16" tall.

And these 2 pendants which are about 4" each. All from walnut. Sorry but these photos suck. The pieces are much nicer in person. I can't seem to get a good photo lately. I might try again and then add to my carving thread later. I just got some new tools so I plan to get some more done this winter. Fingers crossed

Here's a peaky at a lamp base I'm doing. A picture for my buddy ben!

Chisels are all nice and sharp, thanks to you! jus' bizzy wit lot's o' stuff

---cool stuff 8ft! make casts of those mini 8ft pendants!!!!

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2006-11-04 19:24 ]

Nice lil KaiKu, Polynesiac! Heard you'll be showing at the Tonga Hut next week! Can't wait to finally meetcha and see what you gonna bring!

TD

benz man. i want to show my new stuff i really do. i got four more tikis ready but my camera wont work anymore!! its getting me a little upset about it cause i got my best tiki yet and i cant show it!!

hopefully i can get my stuff on track here.

On 2006-11-04 17:00, Benzart wrote:
Come on all you tiki artists out there, where are your tikis, is everyone on vacation? did everyone run outta logs, is it Raining at your house, did you break your chisels or your Camera? I Know you guys are out there carving tikis and stuff, we need to see it. Do I hafta get on my hands and kneez and Beg?(well I am Not doing that?) If you can't post pix then just Tell us about them.

[ Edited by: Benzart 2006-11-04 19:51 ]

Do they have to be round???

This Tiki it say, "Yes, must be round AND must have doo, or we boil you in cauldron.

AND, like Sven says, "The size of your tiki, is thee most impordant factor"

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2006-11-04 22:33 ]

W

Ben, you twisted my arm. {wasn't hard}
Will

[ Edited by: wplugger 2006-11-05 05:29 ]

B

YES, Now THAT'S What i'm Talkin ABOUT!
Keep it coming.

Yo 8FT...that '8foot' pendant is SsweeetT braddah! You should contact Gecko for his artist series resins? Lotsa peopo would be groovin with 8foot A'tiki swingin from da neck!!! :D Thinka-boudit!?!?

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

Damn good one wplugger. And you're your first post too. Welcome to TC!!!

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2006-11-05 11:42 ]

OK, post some'n soon.

B

Jungle Trader, when did you start carving "Bones"?

T

On 2006-11-04 19:18, 8FT Tiki wrote:
...Well, I haven't done too much since Coon tiki but a replica of my 8FT tiki which is about 16" tall.

Sweet stuff 8ft! I love it! Coon tiki was a while ago! Get to work! (Who am I to talk?!).

I just set this up today for a stab at soapstone carving...

It's currently looking like a bat.

The pushpin stops the drip (for now...)

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-11-05 14:01 ]

C

Can I play too?

H
Helz posted on Sun, Nov 5, 2006 3:06 PM

Perfect timing for this thread...I'm getting very charged up to get to work on some stuff too, especally after Mom and Pop decided to hook me up for my birthday:

Can't wait to get to breaking these in....and there is a log procuring expedition scheduled for next weekend! And a little something GMAN has been guiding me with....

(Thanks for the advice you gave to Pop, Ben!)

Many more pics coming very soon!

T

Those chisels are the best. Great choice.

M

Started this a few weeks ago but got stuck....its resting for a while.

Crickey Benz ,you should be a professional Motivational speaker or something. Look at this responce!!

Tikigap: I hope we can lure you over to the Stone carving thread as you make progress? I made my start with soapstone too y'know. Might have another 'stoner' on our hands..? :lol: Tama

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Nov 5, 2006 4:46 PM

Some awesome new stuff in this thread - I'd buy an 8ft pendant too!
I've been slacking, but there will be some new stuff coming, and my first half a dozen chisels are on the way or here already. Now I'm just waiting on a hook-up for some totara logs to come through.......

B

Thanks everyone for the responses so far,, Don't stop now.
Tgap. Vury nice simple setup. Simpler is better, Can't wait to see the piece. And Yes, post it in the Stoner carving questions thread too.
Conga, Go for it., Thanx.
Helz, man your parents know how to get you to work, Go,go go.
Maku, after that rough out he deserves a rest.
Tama, I just know how lazy I get sometimes, and I Know these guyz are doing stuff, Thanks again guys.

Er... I'm on hiatus for a little while till we get relocated. That's lame, I know... :(

I

O.k....O.k....Ok...here I go, I know i gotta go deeper..but this was my first try with an exacto knive and a piece of driftwood...and i didn't even cut myself, is that good or bad??

It's 5" tall and about an 1 1/2" in diameter.

Comissioned wallhanger in Chicago...

18"x36"H

Padded cheetah print fur

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2006-11-05 21:59 ]

MT

i have plenty o pics to put up ill will put them up tomorrow when i figure out completly how to do it right

On 2006-11-05 16:46, Paipo wrote:
Some awesome new stuff in this thread - I'd buy an 8ft pendant too!

I agree! I've seen this carving and it DOES look much nicer in person! You gotta do a cast, 8ft!

Here's my latest attempt, still in the rough-in stages. It's oak, about 38 inches tall. Oak holds a LOT of detail but is a bugger in the plunge-cuts. I'll be finished sometime in 2009!

How about a freshly minted Bora Bora? Commish for a Florida couple..

J

On 2006-11-05 21:07, Basement Kahuna wrote:
How about a freshly minted Bora Bora? Commish for a Florida couple..

I LOVE that t-shirt!!! :P

T

Sweet! Nice one BK.

Silverline's guy is lookin' pretty sharp there too. It won't take until 2009! No way! Keep goin'!

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-11-05 21:21 ]

I did a couple of war clubs for the place. Martin gave me that shirt at Hukilau. It's my new favorite.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Nov 5, 2006 10:57 PM

I aint done jack lately - I moved house less than a week ago.

Ive got to make one for my girlfriends Uncle for Christmas, and we booked out every weekend till then, so I gotta get into that...

K
kirby posted on Mon, Nov 6, 2006 1:53 PM

Here is my first try at the hook knife after the carving seminar...

B

Silverline Welcome Waay Back, Have3n't seen you for awhile. This is like a class reunion. You guyz still can cut a chip and Dang well too. Thankd for coming back 'round. Kirby, that is a Dynamite Hooked piede. BK excellent as usual, keep it up.
Hewey, you got stuff to do, you're excused this time.
How bout these guys Huh thay have been hinding some super stuff.
Thanks guyz

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Nov 6, 2006 6:38 PM

Nice carve Kirby - how big/small is he?

F

Here is what I started tonight. It's got a long way to go yet, and I'm not sure if it's technically a tiki but...

I'm hoping to finish by the weekend.
There is some amazing work on this thread! Wow!

W

Thanks Jungle trader, It's round & has doo. I'm not gettin boiled. Yup my first post. Ive been a lurker but it's kinda warm & fuzzy out here. look at Ben, over 5100 posts.
Heres another couple of doo guys for you.
Will

HOT DAMN, I love it.

B

Finky, Thatz another Nice bone piece, looks like you are getting more comfortable with Bone, Nice.
WPlugger, I Love the Hairballs, thats what I used to call'em anyway. That one guy has been growing his hair for a Long time. Nice job and WELCOME to Tiki Central, Glad to finally have you come in out of the woodwork.

K

This is the start of the piece I'm working on now. He's a small one...but it's a start.

B

Excellent start Konakenny, a tiki is a tiki no matter the size.
WELCOME to Tiki Central too, glad you made it. Come on in and stay awhile.

W

Thank you kindly J.T.
Ben, I havn't been lucky enough to get a 1/2 benz carving lesson, so my lessons come in the form of your pictures & explainations. That cool. I study real hard. Thanks.
Will

B

Thanks Plugger, that is an Excellent example of your diligent stidies. I Really love what you have done to that 'Spine" headdress. That lono has a lot of benzart in it, but there is definitely big Plugger influence. Really well done.. How small is he, and what kind of wood, And do you have other shots showing the other sides?
Thanks plugger

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Nov 8, 2006 6:55 AM

On 2006-11-07 04:25, wplugger wrote:
Thanks Jungle trader, It's round & has doo. I'm not gettin boiled. Yup my first post. Ive been a lurker but it's kinda warm & fuzzy out here. look at Ben, over 5100 posts.
Heres another couple of doo guys for you.
Will

Man, the first time I passed that place on the way to the Mai Kai at night, I could have sworn it said "Swanky's TIki Bar"! Freaked me out.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 395 replies