Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

****We Need MORE TIKI Carvings****

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 395 replies

Looking great Notch! JT you must be smoking the good stuff!

On 2007-02-16 22:40, tikigap wrote:
What's the deal with everyone's back goin' out on 'em? GMAN, me, you, benz, (benz?) JungleT?, I dunno - WTF? Seems like a relativley large number.

Well it is hard work and I think those who carve tend to be all around hard workers on the job or at play. This is play.
Notch is smarter than the rest of us, he started with foam. That's like carving air.
Be careful guys. Yesterday I wore my kidney belt. Good idea.

Thanks Bamboo. You should put those custom bamboo crutches up for auction.

N

Waite a minute my back missed up too!! Well not that much but shit I don't like gettin out bed sometimes!!!
Ive been restoring/customizing/hot rodding cars for 15 years!!! That's allot of work on someones body But in a way it's like work out 8 hours a day everyday. I need a drink?
Benzart..you got allot of good info in your post and an amazing carver. ..Thanks man
Tiki Diablo..I like your style man!!! very cool...Thanks man
Jungle Trader... nice work!!! See you soon!!!!

Hey Notch, cut it out! I hate when people whip out killer tikis in 30 minutes when the rest of us take weeks, months even...

Hey, JT's back! And it looks like the beginnings of sumthin' different. Don't try to lift it too much or we'll never see it done.

I'm at work (on Saturday...), so don't ask me about tikis. I guess everybody else around here is at 4WD's SD Chop-Chop right now. Crap! :(

N
NOTCH posted on Sat, Feb 17, 2007 1:33 PM

This Tiki took me weeks to make..

[ Edited by: NOTCH 2007-02-17 13:34 ]

On 2007-02-17 07:25, Tiki Diablo wrote:
Looking great Notch! JT you must be smoking the good stuff!

Sure, peyote is the good stuff.

Where's Tambu? Did I miss it? Gots to have one if possible.

M

This thread is getting out of control.

Notch! Awesome first (If it's really your first lol)

I love the portable bar too.

Your funny!

Mahalo

Keep posting more

McTiki

It's Notch Yo cheese!

Was fun havin' a few wit you

at FI. You crazy!!

Keep it up!!

On 2007-01-11 07:31, Lukipela wrote:

When will these be finished? I'm dying to see the final carvings!

T
twitch posted on Fri, Jul 6, 2007 4:39 PM

Well, when my parents came 'round & saw the tiki bar, my dad apparently took a shine to tiki design & went to work with his dremel. Here's two of the first...

He's made a few more since these but I haven't gotten around to picking them up, but I'll post pics when I get my hands on 'em.
Oh, and the bottom one he made in two sizes - 2' high and 6" high.

Good on you Twitchs' Dad! - Is he hooked up to the net? You should tell him to have a bit of a browse around here for designs...

T :)

Here's a 6 ft. hairball I coughed up for you Benzart.

Come see it before it gets swept up, at Minnie's.

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2007-07-07 11:07 ]

B

Twitch: Get your dad a chainsaw and some big logs and stand by with the camera.. I can't wait.

Digger, Beautiful Hairball. Looks like a big water main got wrapped up in the roots. The tiki is a Typical Ultra clean detailed piece, Excellent work as usual. "Coughed up" for me? You shouldn't have, Do you still have my address? :)

V
Vinman posted on Sun, Jul 8, 2007 9:28 PM

After browsing the forum posts here and seeing all the awesome craftsmanship I decided to give it a go. Here is my humble first attempt at carving. The wood is a closet dowel, probably oak, that I had laying around in the garage. Most of the work was done using my little Spyderco along with files and xacto blades. I'm still working on this piece and I'm not too crazy about the eyes. My goal is to get proficient enough to carve up some larger pieces for around my pool. Any constructive critiquing is appreciated

Mahalo

Good start Vinman. Not bad for your first.

Mr. Wizard, ya' think it'll fit in a vanilla envelope?

Not sure if this is the CHOICEST place to post new carves anymore, but don't really wanna start a new forum entry to join the 100s already on here..but new stuff from me..\

and the side

took a long leisurely time to do--one of my best

opinions?

M

Moondog! That's sick! I bet it took some time!

Great work!

Mahalo

McTiki

B

Moondog, Really Excellent work. It really shows that you took your time and patience with this one. What kind of wood is it? Awesome!!

that would be a good ol' anonymous PALM TREE--probably date palm--honestly had the bug holes & EVERYTHING
need to post some more shots of the BUCK TOOTHED wonder--you can't really see the choppers on it
really? kinda glad to get the garage space back

BM

AND YET MORE...

STILL not sure if this is the best place to post this..this is a cane I carved while doing the big guy above--pretty much been working the wood (EUUGH--sounds weird) of this piece since February...finally just knuckled down and completed it this weekend... I recall someone on here needing a cane at one time... that was a WHILE ago. This is some anonymous piece of mountain wood my son found...it lay around the garage for YEARs before I brought out its TRUE IDENTITY

At least I know BENZART will see this

B

More nice stuff Moondog. You can post your pictures in this thread but it looks like you have enough to start your own thread. If you are going to continue posting more carvings I suggest starting your own thread and just adding to it when you have more posts. That way it's all together and we (or you) can view all your stuff on the same thread. Thanks.

BM

I don't know--I do like this communal spot where a BUNCH of people can spark off each others ideas--my problems I have BURSTs of production then just fall back off until I get a spark lit under my butt--mainly by guys like Benzart or Crazy Al who are like MANIACALLY prolific and somewhat legendary

B

This is #3. I plan on experimenting with some detail work with my dremel. I am interested in getting a hand carving set as I have just been using power tools up to this point. Any Suggestions on type or source?

Nice Tiki! For hand tools I use Flexcut chisels and their hand carving knives are excellent as well.

Here's one I did a while back.

Hows life Mr. Benzart? I wished I could have gone to coon 2 to learn more about the hook knife.

B

Really NICE one Poly-n, I Really like this guy. Nice to see you, I'm doing fine thanks. Come on down to Florida and get some sand in yer shoes and I'll give you more hook knife lessons.

Nice stuff there Bohemiann, Love the shading and colors. Cool stuff.

BB Moondog, here's fine then no worries, just Post away.

I am a cheep skate but me loves the Tiki's and I want so I gave it a shot.

My first I did just to try it. Pocket knife cut finger Tiki

Then I dragged some drift wood off the beach and got a screw driver and a hammer and a file. Stained him with coffee and got out the soldering iron to darken him.

kona Tiki

That was hard so I tried paint.
Red Tiki

Then I got this hot idea. cinder block Tiki

But I just love the wood ones so I broke down and got 20$ worth of chisels and some more drift wood and spent the summer given it a shot.

The pool man
Red mug Tiki
Pirate Tiki
I tried to get fancy with the tropical drink.

Now I have a Pirate secret cove!

I think I'm going to do more, it is fun.

On 2007-08-06 19:42, Polynesiac wrote:

Hows life Mr. Benzart? I wished I could have gone to coon 2 to learn more about the hook knife.

I really like this guy...has lots of vintage mana about him.

B

Welcome Shampoovta, Glad to have you. Tikis look great, Got More?
Thanks for posting

S

hey benzart, heres one i did a few months back!

B

Cool Sleestack. Nice stuff

On 2007-08-09 16:54, Benzart wrote:
Welcome Shampoovta, Glad to have you. Tikis look great, Got More?
Thanks for posting

Thanx!!!

I just grabbed a big hunk of telephone pole last night from a parking lot near my house. I want to make a nice one for my pirate bar. I like how in "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad ,Mad world" Sylvester has a bag ass tiki right in the middle of the room. So I was inspired by that.

M

Shampoovta!

Nice efforts thus far.

Steer clear of the tele poles! The ilk that is in them will scar your lungs for life.

Wait til others read your intentions before you strike on it. Paint it instead!

Just wait a bit MKay?

Mahalo

McTiki

On 2007-08-10 13:02, McTiki wrote:
Shampoovta!

Nice efforts thus far.

Steer clear of the tele poles! The ilk that is in them will scar your lungs for life.

Wait til others read your intentions before you strike on it. Paint it instead!

Just wait a bit MKay?

Mahalo

Wow thanx!

McTiki

T

Well, my dad came up with another one.
Just needs something for the eyes...

B

Excellent one Twitch. Seems your dad may have split personalities, don't let him Stop!

A duck/tiki (sort of) cane for my brother-in-law. Two pics of the head (handle) only. The large hole (I'll probably paint it black inside) is for a cord to go around the wrist. Linde star ruby eyes and beaver teeth on the front end (sorry, I can't seem to get away from those beaver teeth . . . but I only have one left).

Thanks for looking!

M

Twitch,

Staring at the Tiki gives me seizures lol.

Very cool design

B

On 2007-08-06 19:42, Polynesiac wrote:

Howslife Mr. Benzart? I wished I could have gone to coon 2 to learn more about the hook knife.

Great, Thanks for posting Poly, Been awhile. You always do such neat and authentic looking tikis which would really help out around here. What are you working on now, got pictues?

On 2007-08-09 17:32, sleestak wrote:
hey benzart, heres one i did a few months back!

Great Stuff Sleestack, Just more of the kind of stuff we need to have posted around for the new carvers to see. Lookin good. Have more you're working on?

Hey ben, I'm sorry I didn't see your post until now...(you actually posted it on my birthday!). thanks for the props.

To answer your question...maybe this christmas I'll finish one of the many tiki projects I have going on, like these guys:

hopefully I'll get to them. Or the baby tangs...or...my bar...or...or...

B

C'mon Poly, you're sounding too much like me. There's too Much stuff "I Gotta Finish" and Too Little stuff" I Finally Finished". It's great to see you posting your work finished or not here on TC again, Now to get to My Unfinished stuff.... Right After Christmas I Promise.
Heres Hoping Everyone has a Great Christmas too!
MERRY CHRISTMAS

S

Hi everyone, first time poster here. I've been browsing these forums off and on and figured it was time to sign up and add a few photos. I've done a couple tiki related pieces and have looked on here for ideas and inspiration. Figured I'd add them to Benzart's request thread to get started. There is a lot of great work on here and I have a long way to go if I keep up with this.

Anyway, here are a couple photos of a small moai that I did recently out of eucalyptus branches that had been trimmed nearby. I grabbed another piece about this size and 3 others that are maybe about 2-2.5 times this size. So I have four more branch pieces to start working with. It was all done using a dremel and then hand sanded. Debating on painting it or not but by the looks of other pieces on here, looks like I should color it.

The first tiki thing I tried was a tiki totem on a swordfish bill back in Aug. 2004. I sanded the whole bill down, carved the handle in it, then carved the tikis with the dremel and polished it all up. Decided it needed to be mounted on something so built a backing frame for it it with plywood and bamboo. Here is one full shot and close-ups of each tiki.

I think I saw in one of GMan's threads that he had a photo of a bunch of dried swordfish bills. If so, Gman, have you done anything with them yet? From the looks of your wood pieces, I'm sure yours will turn out a lot nicer. The again you also have more experience at this. :wink: Thanks to everyone for the cool forums and sharing the artwork.

B

Seagoat, first Welcome to Tiki Central, we're Really Happy you decided to finally join the ranks. Second, WELL Done on that Sword fish Bill, Excellent carving and finish. The Eucalyptus branches are a Hard wood to carve but your Moai looks really pretty good. We All gotta start somewhere and I Promise that your pieces are WAY Better than My first tikis, so Keep up the good work. Every piece you carve is practice for the next one so the More you carve the More experience you get and What kind of practice could be better than carving tikis?? None.
Thanks for posting!

S

Benzart - Thanks for the feedback. I know that I need to keep working on these projects to learn more and get better at it. Those other four eucalyptus logs are still sitting there so something will happen with them.

If I color the Moai, would gray spray paint work well or is something else recommended? I may go ahead and start another thread with this and other questions a newbie has. Thanks.

B

As far as color, I would use a stain to darken it up a bit. Since I am a Wood Nut I hate to see wood painted since half the beauty in a carving is the wood grain. I would stain it then varnish or polyurethane it.
Your own personal thread would be great that way any time we were looking for your stuff it would be in a space all its own. Keep up the good work.

newest tiki--I am basing these off of menu illustrations...next one is TIKI BOB

B

All Right Moondog, Nice to see you carving again, it's been awhile I think. Looks excellent, can't wait to see his buddy Bob! Thanks for posting.

did i KILL this thread? ..oh well here is my last tiki before...

this NEW one I am working on...

anyone need a new tiki? I got ENOUGH in my yard now..have hit the TOO MANY category

this is like at 60%...needs a lot more FINESSE but..could finish before OASIS which I am going to

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 395 replies