Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

****We Need MORE TIKI Carvings****

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 395 replies

B

Hey MoonDog, Where did you dig this thread up from? Thanks for finding it and Adding even MORE tiki's. We can Never have too many tikis here as that is what this thread is all about Keep posting your excellent carvings!

Since this thread was brought back to life I will post a few in it.

This is my first tiki as it stood at the end of the Feb 22 chop

here it is almost done

all stained and varnished

at home in the back yard

took about 2 weeks to finish it up.

Here's the start of my 2nd

I want to thank Billy the Crud for getting me started, and tips along the way.

B

Well Hell Billy, That First is an Excellent start, He finished up Way on top and Super for a first carve. Your second one looks like he will be even Better than the first, Keep up the good work!

Here's my latest. Hard to find time to carve with an 11-month-old crawling around.

B

Looks Great Yankee Air Pirate! :o Got More? Lemmee see'um!

heres a peice i carved awhile back .Cheers Watango

B

This thread goes in spurts and I'm Loving all these new creations

Here's a small guy that I carved awhile ago for a mates
birthday and also built the bar he's sit'n on.I'll have more
carvings to add to my own thread as soon as my life settles
down and I've sorted out my new pad.Cheers Watango

Here's a shot of my second tiki

back

In his now home

With my first

This stuff is addictive, I just stripped a log this morning and plan to start the next carve later today!

T

Second tiki huh? Pretty dang nice!

B

Yeah, Way cool tiki Especially for #2.

K
Kino posted on Fri, Sep 25, 2009 7:37 AM

Here is my contribution to this thread.

I carved this guy last year, but just started experimenting
with stain this month
I have some before and after pics on my carving thread

F

Hi guys, here's a progress shot of my first Tiki. I have done a little more work since this shot was taken so I will post more progress tomorrow.

B

Kino, Nice tiki though he looks a bit thirsty, don't you ever water your tiki? :)

furball. Excellent first tiki, Definitely keep us posted AND Welcome to TC, glad to have you here!

F

Thanks Benz, I am very new at this and having a great time with it. I have been prowling these forums for a little while now, picking up tips, any further tips are greatly appreciated. Water my tiki? Do tikis drink rum only or can I give him a beer? LOL

Here's an update of the little wingnut.

here ya go ...just finished this lil one

allright im back and heres some pics i have of recent and brand new tikis carved all are from southern yellow pine support beams i salvaged from a very custom house build i was wrking on a while back> the one with the mohawk is intended for dark arts 3 in dwtwn fortmyers fl. please all comments and ques are welcome as i am pretty new to this!!

heres a new pic w hawk sanded w 320 and waxed then buffed. also w new nose ring and tunge stud!

F

Those are some wicked sweet looking tikis. Love the tongues.

THANX!!!! kinda gott in a tounge mood latley! gonna try some full body next! glad you liked and thanx again for the feed back!

p.s. will post pics as i go. love seein others stuff progress so......

A
amate posted on Sat, Oct 3, 2009 4:36 PM

Hello to all,

I have been visiting TC for inspiration for some time now. This thread looks like a good place to jump in for the first time.

I became interested in carving oceanic art after reading "Kon-Tiki: Across the Pacific by Raft" while on a beach vacation a few years ago. I first read this book when I was in the seventh grade. So, after returning from vacation, I wanted to get some Moai figurines but was unable to find any. I had done some carving before so I decided to make my own and have not stopped carving since. There is some real talent on this site but I will, somewhat reluctantly, show a couple of my modest pieces anyway.

B

Amate, First Welcome to TC, Glad you finally took the last step.Your prior carving experience really shows through because your Moai is really Excellent.

The other 2 are both excellent as well but the difficulty of the seemingly Easy Moai carving didn't seem to faze you at all, he is Spot On. You captured much of that head often overlooked even by seasoned carvers. Well done.

L

On 2009-10-03 16:36, amate wrote:

WOW! Modest you said?
What's the materials?

J.

hello amate!WOW! NICE CARVES!KEEP GOIN THESE ARE AWSOME!

A
amate posted on Sun, Oct 4, 2009 12:54 PM

Thank you all for your warm welcome and encouragement. I consider these pieces modest because they lack the fine detail I see on many carvings here on TC. After all, the Kon-Tiki doesn't even have toes!!! I believe this was my first attempt at fingers and I guess I decided to leave well enough alone. As far as materials go, Kon-Tiki is cottonwood and the head is elm. The Moai is a very mature driftwood log I recovered from a riverbank. The finish is a result of two failed attempts. The wood was honeycombed with borer holes and very soft wood. I attempted to stabilize it by applying a couple coats of polycrylic but did not like the way it looked. I started to sand the polycrylic off and realized how much work that would be and decided to cover it with walnut stain. It looks kind of old so I'm going to leave it as is.

Welcome to TC Amate. Glad to see your posts and would like to see the rest of them as well. Really like the look of the Moai! Looks totally antique. Nice work on the others as well. A tiki doesn't need to be detailed to be good. Simplicity is a good thing so don't think that it's not worth posting just because it's not detailed. Over detailing a tiki, that should be left simple, can ruin a tiki just as much. You just have to find a happy medium. Start your own topic and let's see the rest of your work. Happy carving!

hello all!! just droppin a line! hey furball, have you finished the wicked little tiki you showed pics of just reacently? wld love to see him done!! gonna start a new guy tnight will post pics as i go. later all have a good carve!!

F

Hey there BIGGY Scott! I have finished the carve and just have to stain and coat him now but need to go to the hardware store for some different stain than what's on hand. I'll bring a pre-stain pic in tomorrow and will finish him off this weekend.

Since I'm waiting for a chance to stain, I have been knocking out a few other things, some Tiki and some not. Just finished a small Morale Mushroom and am now working on a large tiki-monkey head for a plant stand out back. I'll get cracking on the pics soon.

hello again! cant wait to see that guy!! and the mushroom snds realy cool too!! and a tiki/monkey head!? that shld be sweet cant wait buddy!! well here's my latest in progress... hes made of spruce and hes gonna have a headress and full body(a first for me).enjoy and as always all comments and pointers are welcome and appreciated from all

okay! busted my own butt in a small lie!! never realy considerd these guys as full body but.... i guess they are!! i dont like the way i did them but they were in the first dozen or so that i did! i like the faces just not realy the arms and legs. and i know i know painted mouths are kinda commercial cheezy but thgt it was kinda cool at the time and some people do like it but.... lol! enjoy!

okay! made some proggress today. heres the current condition of this guy! still need lots o work on the headress,body,legs,arms etc........ lol! but here it is! give me a shout all!!

at last,,,,,,i found some time to complete a new one......
ive been pushing it aside for other projects.....but here it is.....

[ Edited by: closettiki 2009-10-08 10:13 ]

K
Kino posted on Fri, Oct 9, 2009 8:07 AM

Big tiki Scott, we must be on the same Island.
I started my first full body with a headress also.
He's not purrrrrfect, but sure a step up from my others.
Here he is about 4' tall

On 2009-10-08 09:56, closettiki wrote:
at last,,,,,,i found some time to complete a new one......
ive been pushing it aside for other projects.....but here it is.....

Back in action! Right on Closettiki! Looks like you might be able to cover thatnice lawn up with a big pile of logs. Without all the maintenance on it, you'd have a lot more time for carving, .

Buzzy out!

iaaammm bbbaaaccckkk!!! lol! closettiki thats a sweet carve dude! love the cross check headress!!! keep goin!! lets see what else you were wrkin on too!!

KINO WHATS UP!!! we must be from the same island brah!! that guys lookin sweeeet!!! my puter went on the fritz cple days back .... all fixed now but feels like a week! well heres my update on this here 3'ter. enjoy!pics are reverse of course but... almost there then burnd and stained w first coat of spar thane!

S

aloha, this is a relatively recent tiki that i carved as a housewarming gift for my daughter and son-in-law.
i call him "STONEY OF HB"

S

i was visiting my brother in law on topsail island, north carolina. he is living in a beach house and needed a tiki . since i couldn,t bring a tiki, i brought some chisels, we rented a chainsaw,found a palm tree in a junk pile at a landscapers lot ...now his beach house has "THE STINKY TIKI"

Here is a shot of our yard--tiki and poles by Chainsaw Art by George (my guy) in Vero Beach, FL. Just had to post after seeing such beautiful work by all of you!

B

Big Tiki Scott, excellent tikis you've been doing. This one has an Excellent finish, I see you love Sanding like we all do. Nice stuff.

Skootiki, Welcome to TC, Glad you found us and Really Happy you are posting your works here. Stinky is an excellent tiki as is his Stony brother. Love your resourcefulness have tools, find log, Leave a tiki. COOL! Great way to get an invite back too. :o

Vero Tiki, I Love your guy George's Stuff. His tikis are cool and well done with super finishes. Love the Mossy hair, Really cool, and the Tarpon is just spectacular! Really cool back yard you have for all that stuff too. I'm not far, just down the road in Port Saint Lucie, have to get together some time.. Thanks for the post and photos!

thanx benz! yep sandin away and then some more and a little bit finer and more and more and...... oops i just remember i got some sandin to do tlk to yah later!! lol!

shootiki lovin this carve on the go!! and some nice carves at that!! keepem comin!

verotiki beatuiful yard! and beautiful tikis and that tarpon is stunning very very nice! is the wood cypress on this stuff? it has a perfect color/finish thanx for sharin!

S

lotza mahalo for the kind words. i have rebelled against computers for a long time, but my love of tiki is making me learn how to do this stuff......more to come soon.

F

Wow, you guys are knocking out some sweet art. I really need to update and get some pics of the little guy but was busy in the woods, getting firewood and some big logs for some big carvings.

The big one is lodgepole pine and I got some douglas fir as well. The upright lodgepole log is 6'tall and has to weigh over 400 pounds.

V

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the compliments--we love the yard too! The wood George used in the yard is Australian Cypress (Callitris), that is somewhat common here.

Benzart--would love to get together. I am starting to carve hypertufa pendants and small statues and would appreciate getting insight from you--your art is so beautiful. We have plenty of rum on hand--let me know!!

T

[ Edited by: tikigodz 2009-10-12 14:55 ]

furball!! whats up! hey priorites right!lol! lovin that big ole log there!! cant wait to see that sucker carved up!! holla!

hello again vero tiki! cypress has a beautiful look in the process of gettin some myself althgh it wld be florida swamp cypress pretty common dwn here. well again beautiful stuff and keep those pics comin! cheers!

[ Edited by: BIG tiki scott 2009-10-12 18:44 ]

F

Big Tiki Scott, your latest tiki is off-the-hook! Love the head dress!

And Vero, loving the work and am especially interested in the decorative poles that your blue deck cover is attached to. I'd like to see a close-up of one of those.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 395 replies