Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

****We Need MORE TIKI Carvings****

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 395 replies

M
mijaba posted on Thu, Apr 1, 2010 4:22 AM

a low rez peview of the lil' mermaid- basswood, 2 inches tall. really like working with knives! (not complete here)

couple are finished and found a home with tikiyaki

as did Bob..who is kinda OLD now

but this guy proved to be TOO HEAVY

he needs a couple months out there in the YARD at over 100 degrees

finished and sold (i think..there are OFFERs actually!)....... if this isnt the most PHALLIC shadow ever..completely unintentional

more older carves..the asst. around the pool..carving BOBS is a BLAST

BM

well i GUESS this is MY POST NOW....HAH

latest and greatest...about 50% done...need to STEP IT UP as the days are now
leaning towards the high 90s consistently so carving is gonna get SCHWEATY..
although have seen a LOT of interest from craigslist

BM

Finally DONE...time for a HINANO and a dip in the POOL

B

Moondog, These are starting to look Much better. You are cleaning up and defining the details and features more clearly. Keep up the good work,
Your thread,, sure you can have it but it looks like you are ready to start a thread of your own so your followers can always find your stuff without looking through any other stuff here. That doesn't mean you should stop posting here too. :P :D
mijaba,, Love the mermaid,,, she married yet??....Oops, I am,, too bad! not really

this is as good a place to post as ANY...I thought we were being urged to CONSOLIDATE and not have so MANY indie posts..who knows

B

COOL Lookin' Tikis and stuff, Way to keep the tiki thread hot!

BM

busy Busy BUSY

2 more to be done as soon as the BIG ONE dries out..@ 110 degrees now it won't take long

this big BRAH is done FINALLY

plugging AWAY..hit a slight LULL in sales but pool weather has DEFINITELY arrived here in the Valley of the SUN

tried spmething a BIT more sculptural here

ahuka a'la a'la palu

BB MoondoggyO
sweatin' to Quiet Village in AZ

[ Edited by: bb moondog 2010-06-18 13:42 ]

B

Moondog, your pieces are starting to look much better,,, that's what happens when you practice so much. Every one you do is practice for the next one. Have you not figured out how to create your own thread yet: :P It's really easy..

T-Gap, Missed you at Hukilau. :o

BM

I went to start a new topic..which prompted a screen telling me there are 11 THOUSAND topics..so I will just stick here..sorry Benzart...this is as good a place as ANY i guess
Evolution of current carve..a week ago

3 days ago

yesterday

finish this weekend

M

the "loopy gecko"-- about 1.5" in diameter, basswood, knives, minwax hardener, stain and poly

here is "Blocky" basswood, knives, minwax hardener, stain and poly. 4"x1.5"x.75"

and a shot of his "junk"

BM

doing my version of the MAINLANDER mug

got a nice Palo Verde log..weird wood..really fresh so has been super different from palm..came out kinda BLOND

got this brute here carved out of Queen Palm...very difficult to get smooth

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jan 19, 2011 10:25 AM

Paipo, Tamapouitini, 4WD, Wplugger, Billy the Crud, Tkimecula, French carvers, German carvers, Australians, Kiwis, Irish carvers. Where are you guys? Keigs, Bosko, Tiki Diablo, Aloha Station,Basement Kahuna,Gman, Surfingtiki, etc.
We need some nice inspirational carvings to get 2011 started off nice. Just because nation is in a recession, doesn't mean we need a recession of tiki carvings. Bust out them chisels you bastards! Let's see some chips flying. Hell, even KIRBY has carved a tiki recently, and he's got his hands full chasing around an unruly 1 year old.

Sorry Grog. I got yer tiki right here. (gesture)

Nice call Grog. This place needed a kick in the ass. Come on - show what ya got.

M

Here Grog!

Mahalo

McTiki

P

First tiki of 2011:

Second tiki of 2011 in progress:

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jan 20, 2011 3:05 PM

Now we're talkin'.

M

This is Spike!

Still roughing him out.

24 inches in height currently... His head has a 2.5 inch dia Hole in it. His head dress is being worked separately (Not shown).

Mahalo

McTiki

Tis a brave man who wears the kilt in January.

[ Edited by: McTiki 2011-01-20 16:20 ]

L

French carvers still alive!

Tiki carving with cold hands and feet, but Tiki carving!

Update soon!

Way to go Jerome! No winter cold is gonna stop ya!

BM

been awhile but actually have carved almost non-stop..my wife has been pimping my talents out to her teacher friends...but the pay is $$ so no complaints

a terrible trio

On 2011-01-19 10:25, GROG wrote:
Paipo, Tamapouitini, 4WD, Wplugger, Billy the Crud, Tkimecula, French carvers, German carvers, Australians, Kiwis, Irish carvers. Where are you guys? Keigs, Bosko, Tiki Diablo, Aloha Station,Basement Kahuna,Gman, Surfingtiki, etc.
We need some nice inspirational carvings to get 2011 started off nice. Just because nation is in a recession, doesn't mean we need a recession of tiki carvings. Bust out them chisels you bastards! Let's see some chips flying. Hell, even KIRBY has carved a tiki recently, and he's got his hands full chasing around an unruly 1 year old.

GROG! I'm 6 months late seeing your post, and I can only speak for myself, but I've been carving all year, and posting what I carve, in...get this... MY thread! :lol:
Take a look there!
As an incentive, here's my most recent. It's non-tiki, but very in tune with this year's Oasis theme:

a french moaÏ ...

N
NIxxon posted on Wed, Jun 8, 2011 7:28 PM

my collection is starting to grow...

N
NIxxon posted on Wed, Jun 8, 2011 7:32 PM

N
NIxxon posted on Wed, Jun 8, 2011 7:37 PM

N
NIxxon posted on Wed, Jun 8, 2011 7:38 PM

and one more completely NON TIKI related...just thought id throw it out there and see what everybody thinks...

Her you go Benzart! This is a piece I did for a progeria foundation that Sam Foose and his wife are a part of. It had a head light bezel from a 1950 ford custom in its eye and a melted piston from a friends blown up dragster. You know me not traditional but I know you will enjoy it!

TikiStan

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jun 26, 2011 9:17 AM

On 2011-06-08 18:31, shrunkentiki wrote:
a french moaÏ ...

It's a Mo- Oui.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jun 26, 2011 9:18 AM

Really clean carves there Nixxon.

N

Thank you Kind Sir

Okay, I'm just getting going so I'm starting small by making bottle stoppers for a few cool bottles I found. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic but when they're finished I use something better.

Thanks.

N

those are rad! what are they made from?

On 2011-06-28 06:23, NIxxon wrote:
those are rad! what are they made from?

Funny you should ask, "scrap wood" is what I know for sure as I pulled them out of the scrap box in the model shop here at work. But they were all different to carve that's for sure.
The one on the far left was really hard and smooth to work with and my blades liked to slip off at inopportune moments. Maple maybe? I don't think it was Oak, there was never the 'Oak stink' when I worked with it.
The one in the middle is Basswood and had varying hard spots and 'chewy' spots through it, but was easy to carve.
The Moai on the right is Red Wood. It was fairly easy too.

N

that's really cool...they look awesome.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jun 28, 2011 10:27 AM

AWESOME bottlestoppers. Really nice carves. GROG like.

all this stuff on this thread is great,soon as the neighbors aer awake im
going out the back to make some noise!CHeers Watango

Wow, thanks a lot! I'm honored you all think so!

I started a new one today btw. more to come.

Thanks again!

C
cy posted on Tue, Jun 28, 2011 6:07 PM

You asked for it Benzart. Here is what I have been working on. "Paddleman" is a 7 foot hunk of cedar that fell in my yard a few years ago. The relief carving on his forehead is a canoe that I saw built on Maui by a team from Yap, a tiny Micronesian island. The bottom portion, front of Paddleman will have red teeth as the crew chewed beetlenut or "boo", a mild stimulant that they would wrap in leaf, spritz with lime juice and chew. They all had red chicklets from the nut.

N

WHOOOOAA!! That is cool. I really like all the detail in that piece. You said cedar, How long does it take for a piece that size to dry? I have a couple of small pieces that i'm not too sure what to do with just yet.

That looks amazing and looks like you've put quite a bit of time into it. Great Job and thanks for posting!!

C
cy posted on Wed, Jun 29, 2011 8:19 AM

Hi Nixxon- I really don't know as I can't wait to start whackin' away. This piece was cut and left for about a year, but I could feel the water hitting me in the face as I carved deeper. That just means to go on to another project for a while and come back in a few weeks. The piece will continue to crack as it dries but if you follow the grain as you go it cracks in all the right places ,(well mostly anyway) I'd rather work on it too wet then too dry. I'm hoping TravnerRavenWeird has a rum jug big enough to make him a bottle stopper.

N

HAHA!! Well if you do in fact find a rum jug large enough I will be more than happy to come and help you drink it :)

I'll keep my eyes open.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 395 replies