Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

****We Need MORE TIKI Carvings****

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 395 replies

T

On 2006-11-08 05:53, wplugger wrote:
... I study real hard...

Wow! I'll say! Nice work!

On 2006-11-08 06:55, Swanky wrote:

Man, the first time I passed that place on the way to the Mai Kai at night, I could have sworn it said "Swanky's TIki Bar"! Freaked me out.

Did you slam the brakes, get sideways off road? You probably thought you died and went to......a good place?

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2006-11-08 08:44 ]

M

gone :)

[ Edited by: makutiki 2006-11-08 10:19 ]

T

What u think this is Sweden ? You leave those smokes at home when youall come down here, youhear !!!!

Some masks I am doing for the drive-in. 2 foot plus tall.

M

sorry, didnt mean to ofend anyone.... my bad humor,thats all, love smokes.

B

Danny, Nice masks as usual from you. Long time no See, hope all's well with you. Enjoyed doing the OkiDoki with you and Bosko..
Keep posting.

O

Here are some of Von Tiki's carvings that we took today.

Mr. & Mrs Von Tiki

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-11-09 04:19 ]

H
harro posted on Thu, Nov 9, 2006 4:28 AM

wow this is an inspirational thread!!

i wasn't going to post any pics on this tiki i'm working on until i had something decent to show, but this thread has inspired me...

here we have my attempt at your classic "Reloy" as inspired by Leroy and Aaron's Akua in threads gone by...

but just as i get to the bottom of the mouth i uncover some flaws in the centre of the log:

now i'm not sure whether to keep going deeper or just patch it up with filler later on... any tips? i have no idea how i'm going to sand the inside of that mouth either!

thanks!

W

Tgap I'm flattered.
Swanky, May be if it was your bar the tikis would still be standing. They got so much attention the mgr of the motel went out 2 week after I put them up & cut them down with a chain saw. He couldnt stand the attention..
Ben, I'm so glad your pleased. Took these this morning. This guy is 4 ft tall & coconut palm. my detait is limited by the size of my tools & my talent but I'm working on both.

[ Edited by: wplugger 2006-11-09 04:37 ]

BM

I've got these two started--the moai is pretty close to done--they buyer wants it plain but to me its a little TOO plain..suggestions?

B

Hey VonT, Way to bang'em out. Nice tikis and are those the Giant logs you were telling me About? Awesome, keep posting, and Keep upi the great carving.
Harro, I'm Glad you decided to post pic's, it helps us All get into the groove. Nice Reloy and don't worry about the defects in the center of the log..
Thanks for the extra pic's WPlugger. Looks to me like you have your tools And talent well under control. :)
Hey Moondog, don't worry about plain, it's more difficult to have a recognizable tiki with only a few cuts, so if you pull that off as in the moai, you're doing Very well. It is a real challenge to carve a tiki looking plain, isn't it..Thanks for posting.

Thanks a Heap all you guyz who have posted pic's of your tikis. That was the reason for this thread, to get us all to post pic's of what we are doing and I Knew there were more than a few peeps out there carving tikis. This is what this
Creating Tiki" forum is all about, Sharing our work with everyone else. It is really inspiring when we see Lots of tikis in progress pictures..HappyhappyHappy
Don't stop now.

Ben,

I have a new Headhunter in the works. It's a 4+ foot piece of wild cherry which is tearing up my chainsaw blade. I hed to take it in for sharpening. The mask is looking pretty good, but I'll wait to post pics until I get the body roughed out.

Here's a couple new Maori pieces I've been doin'

B

Raffer, I Can't wait to see your new piece, It's been a long wait, but it will be worth it I'm sure.
Freddie, thanks for sharing those. That moko is not easy, hey. Nice job though. The burner really makes the difference.

Hello. My name is Buzzy. I really do not post my stuff on TC because it sucks and I am very insecure and cannot handle even the slightest bit of criticism. I saw how nice you were to everyone and thought that I might post my first independent hook knife work on this thread:

Been workin' on it for a little over an hour

If this goes well, I'll start my own carving thread some day.

Buzzy Checkin' In

B

[ Edited by: Benzart 2006-11-10 04:50 ]

B

Well normally we get pretty good stuff here, but it looks like youforgot how to carve or sumthin, You did all that with a hook knife? Did it come with instructions? Yes? Well read them and start again. I'd let the billy goats have this guy(?) to chew on, THEY Might like it. Come back when you learden how to spell tiki and to carve one

H

OK then, here's a start. As Moai as it may look now, I'm actually gonna try to squeeze a big, peanut headed, bug-eyed, sucker lipped, no-eared, tatt-faced Maori cat out of this'un. 6 footer, dry, buttery white pine--my first peice! :blush: Gotta find my long lost thread and do some pic re-sizing 'fore I can show you the rest.

W

With this effort I wanted to open the mouth more & it kinda worked to show me the relationship of the other facial features.
But for a twist I gave him the oldest trick in the world. The ball in a cage headdress.
Hes also coconut palm & 4 ft tall

B

Surfnturf, Lookin good as any Moai ever did. Way to keep the pressure on.
WPlugger, Yours is looking great too. Love the ball in a cage for the Lono(?) Now THAT's something you don't see too often. COOL

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Nov 10, 2006 5:23 AM

I was just thinking about some of the classic Chinese carving tricks yesterday, such as the ball in the cage or the mouth of a carving, spheres inside spheres, chains with free moving links etc, and here we have it in tiki form - nice work!

Benzart,

Here's end result of my first Tiki. I added some detail, torched it, and put water seal on it. Intitially, the detail in forehead was going to be different but the wood started to split so I just went with it. It came out kind of interesting, I guess. Thanks for your help and encouragment. I'm still working on the little guy.

Side View

Inside the Stentiki Room with Big Benzart behind the bar.

B

Hey Arty, That bad boy came out Great, Far better that any "First" tiki should be.
Well done

I posted this one in the SD carving thread , but I'll hook it up here as well to keep this one going ! !

My latest tiki I did over the weekend last week . Not quite done yet , but he has found a home in my yard . . .

Aloha Stentiki, I see you've been influenced by Bosko too. Long time no see, glad you're doing better. Nice work!!

B

Nice one Mike-stobbe, and Big WELCOME to Tiki Central. Thanks for posting. How many tikis have you carved? You look like you know your way around the tools.

B

Hello! This is my very first TC post. Tiki Central is a pretty rockin' site. You guys are danged talented. I heard more Tiki images were being hollered for, so I wanted to add some of my own.

This one is a stick shift knob that I sculpted out of clay, then cast in resin.

The lantern was also sculpted out of clay, then cast in ceramic using a slip mold. It's about 7" high.

At this point I am getting into carving Tikis out of wood, but I don't know a whole lot about finishes, weatherproofing, where to score palm logs, and stuff like that. Maybe some of you can help an inquisitive brother out. I have a few wood carvings but have not photographed them yet.

Anywhoo, it's great to be here at Tiki Central!

Hey Tikidav, let me be the first to welcome you!

You certainly seem to know what you are trying to achieve. Ive always thought that the 'vision' of what you want is the most important aspect of carving. The clearer the vision, the better the end result... Im sure you will have no problem pulling some cool images from wood.

At one time I called myself a ceramicist/potter & know that you have made it look easy with those two. Very clean & sculptural. Well done!

Tama :)

B

Yes, Welcome to Tiki Central, or TC as we affectionately call it, glad to have you aboard. It seems that you have quite a talent as these 2 pieces say a Lot about your ability as a sculptor. As Tama said, they are Very clean and that is Not easy. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work and definitely some wood stuff. Thanks.

M
mieko posted on Sat, Nov 11, 2006 8:15 AM

Welcome Tikidav!
A lot of your questions are answered in previous posts, just keep searching. I keep finding new gems everyday as I scour though the old posts.
Being in La Mesa, keep an eye out for people chopping down old palm trees, that's one great source of wood.
I'm actually trying to get a little backyard carving event together in San Diego, hopefully you can make it, it would be a great chance to get some tips on how to use tools. Here's the info: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=21738&forum=7&2

S

On 2006-11-10 14:21, Jungle Trader wrote:
Aloha Stentiki, I see you've been influenced by Bosko too. Long time no see, glad you're doing better. Nice work!!

Hey JT,

Yeah, Bosko and Danny helped me a lot with the design at the Oki Oki and I've always admired Bosko's work. Mahaloz for the encouragement! You too Benzart. :)

Keep up the good work everyone. :tiki:

Here is a finish pic of the hook I started earlier in the week.

Thanks for looking!

B

Thanks for the responses. Now I want to see what everybody else's work looks like! I poked around a little and found a few images.

Tama: Your Maori greenstone carvings are beautiful. What tools do you use to carve them? I'm posting a portrait bust of Maori Chief Te Rangi that I sculpted a few years ago. Maybe you are familiar with this guy? Your words of wisdom about "vision" are so true.

Benzart and Mieko: Your work is great. I am so impressed with the size of your carvings. Most of what I do is in the "knick-knack" size range.

Mieko: You are right, I will probably find all the answers I'm looking for in previous posts. TC is a huge site so I will have to be dilligent. Thanks for the invite to SD Chop Chop. I'm posting a reply for you on the Chop Chop forum.

...and Finkdaddy: Gorgeous fish hook!

Here's a shot of one of my wood carvings. I called it Ali'i (chief). It's eucalyptus. The wood is hard and very nice to carve, but it's difficult to get a piece that is not splitting. I wasn't real happy with the stain on this one. Too dark says I!

J

Welcome to TC Tikidav. Glad you came out of the woodwork. That bust is phenomenal.

This thread is great- It's pulled a few lurkers in. Welcome all.

JP

B

Thanks JohnnyP. Yep, I am a lurker no more!

T

Wait! Wow! Who is this guy?! Very great stuff! Thanks or sharing it, and thanks for coming out of the shadows! Show us some more stuff!

On 2006-11-10 15:49, Benzart wrote:
Nice one Mike-stobbe, and Big WELCOME to Tiki Central. Thanks for posting. How many tikis have you carved? You look like you know your way around the tools.

Thanks Ben , I haven't done many . I was actually at teh carving seminar at Matt's house . I've been an artist all my life so I just sort of needed a few people with a little hands on experiance to point me in the right direction . Anyhow I'll post a few pictures of it when he's done . Thanks again !

B

WOW, Big Welcome Tikidave, I am So Humbled. I know that face well, only I have just seen Photographs and paintings of Chief Te Rangi, and your ability to capture All that character is unbelievable. I would Love to be able to carve a bust of him or some of the other famous Chiefs, but lack that ability. I would give you my left arm for that peice.
Your tikis are a very pleasant sight to see, so Clean and traditional with an added Zing that certainly sets them apart from the norm. Sure wish I could have met you a few weeks ago when we were out in San Diego for the Left Coast OkiOki. Maybe next time. If there are any quewstions you want to ask, PM me Any time.
Finky, Nice hook and as I said on your thread, you won't see me carving any hooks. You guys are too good. I have to carve stuff that nobody does so you don't show me up!

TG

SWEET! Welcome to TC.

Wow! Lots of new talent here. Welcome, guys!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Nov 12, 2006 5:29 PM

On 2006-11-11 18:02, JohnnyP wrote:
This thread is great- It's pulled a few lurkers in. Welcome all.

Damn straight. Definitely keen to see more of your work guys :)

On 2006-11-11 17:49, Tikidav wrote:

Tama: **Maybe you are familiar with this guy? Your words of wisdom about "vision" are so true.

Well you had the vision with him alright, thats incredible!!!

**Looks very much like you have used the paintings of Lindauer (or is it Goldie Paip'? :wink: ) for your reference? Simply amazing likeness!!

Head back to the early pages of Tama &/or Paipo to see the pounamu/stone tools/processes... (or else just watch all the other regular carvers -there seems to be a veritable rock-slide at the moment :lol:

Thanks for sharing your work.
Are you sure about changing to wood? The ceramics world will lose a great talent...

Keep it up whatever you do! Tama

B

I think we can stop asking for more tikis one of these daze as I am in a Daze with all this stuff coming round. Some God awful,unbelievable stuff. I'm gonna have nightmares figuring how to catch up o some of these guys. I'm still sitting here shaking my head with a little drool sliding out with a sideways rocking motion, along with Te Rongi on my desktom staring at me from both of them.
Have I said HappyhappyHappy yet?

B

What was I saying, I must have been sleeping.
Don't let up on the tiki production, it's Great seeing so much creativity happening all at once. keep'em Coming!

W

Thats from gettin stoned Ben. Sniff some saw dust , It'll breng you back down to earth
Will

B

Thanks everybody for your replies. I'm going to post some more pictures, but I'm busy slacking at work right now.

Ben: You have sooooo much cool stuff! Shrunken heads! Maori carvings! Ku's! Lonos! You are a rock star. I'd like to check out the DVD you mentioned. I'll get back to you about it later.

Tama: I used a postcard with a picture of Te Rangi as reference for the bust. I don't know who the artist is. It's probably a picture you've seen, maybe by one of the artists you mentioned? And no, I am not going to leave the ceramic world for the carving world. I'm merely expanding my horizons!

A question: I'd like to be able to put quotes from other posts in my replies like I've seen you guys do, but I can't figure out how it's done. Can someone pretty please help a brother out? Thanks.

B

Hey Tdav, look down at the bottom of the post you would like to quote and just to the right of the "Edit" button is the "Quote" button. Just click it and it will open a response with the post already there. Just add what you like to it and submit it as usual.
Hope that helps.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 395 replies