Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Is the Islands Restaurant/Hanalei Hotel being gutted?

Pages: 1 2 3 95 replies

Notice! There is bubble wrap on the rails inside. The rails ARE still inside. They would have removed them already, I think. The previous pics are from yesterday.

Also, I think the walls of the new restaurant will reach the metal railing that is along the walkway. So, the walkway will be gone.

Signature? I ain't signin nothin!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2006-12-01 11:12 ]

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Dec 1, 2006 11:20 AM

In '003 my Canadian friend Dave visited for a week - he's a confirmed Tikiaholic and we hit the Royal Hawaiian, Bahooka, King's, and of course the Bali Hai

and the Hanalei -

Here's the pix I just unearthed -

the appetizers -

the waterfall -

weapons -

and finally -

Most of the time we sat there marvelling at how cool the waterfall was, and how it was just a great secret treasure...

I was driving past the Hanalei the other day and noticed the sign mentioned the New Look and New Menu for the Islands room, so I ran in for a quick peek. Wow.

Due to all the info here when they closed, the new look wasn't a surprise, but it was still sad to see. The good news is that at least some of the Tiki railings are still in there. The bad news is not much else is. It's just white walls and ceiling now; very stark, not much actual 'decor' at all, at least comparatively speaking. They're open for dinner nightly now, so it looks like it'll probably remain as-is. They're also advertising patio dining, on that little area outside the glass doors/windows on the pool side of the room. But their amazing Coconut Chicken isn't on the menu anymore.

The Dragon room is still separated off with walls at this point and does still have the doors, but it looks like there will probably be some kind of walk-up service going in there (I think someone here mentioned it might become a coffee counter?) The floor in there is still ripped up and it looks like there's a counter and chilled beverage case in place. Fortunately the Tiki pond/waterfall area outside the Dragon room is still there.

Unfortunately I was only able to get a rotten-quality photo, but here goes:

BOOOOOO!

C

So in other words, YES the Islands/Hanalei is being gutted!

I understand their wanting to make the room larger and brighter. It's larger and brighter now. But it's a design disaster; with Hawaiiana experiencing a rebirth (let alone Tiki) why not dress the place up like a really ritzy Hawaiian Hotel? That's what the place is supposed to be, right??? Or go for a Classy French Polynesia look? Or just a nice subdued color scheme, some exotic plants, and hang some cool OA masks on the wall? It could look exotic and corporate-expensive at the same time.

Instead, it looks like a rental company did the interior design! If I find the guy or gal who did this, I'm shoving his/her/its head in a can of fresh beige paint!

ugh, I just threw up in my mouth a little....

A

I would fully support of the cancelling of Tiki Oasis in protest.

It's as though they didn't want to change the decor, just remove it. I don't know if they might be planning to add more plants and decorations to make it somewhat 'tropical' (which would be a good idea). They are open for business and serving food, though, so it doesn't seem likely that there would be anything major coming. It's actually not even beige, that's just my bad picture. Beige would've been more colorful - it's very WHITE. Definitely brighter, but also completely bland. The color and decoration is so sparse right now that it really lacks any kind of character at all.

gives a whole new meaning to the word "bland"
why would anyone do that...

BEIGE!!

There is still some of the old railing and a few pieces on the walls.

Signature? I ain't signin nothin!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2007-03-20 16:22 ]

Lame

Where are we moving Oasis to next ?

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Mar 20, 2007 4:59 PM

Move it somewhere that

1. Wants the business.
  2. Needs the business.
  3. Has a swimming pool.
  4. Has some Tiki's sitting around that look good in photos.
  5. Has a bar.
TS

Bring an axe to Tiki Oasis, and we'll help them finish the job....They seemed to have forgot to remove the railings.... :roll:
I have that stupid song stuck in my head now..."Another One Bites the Dust"

On 2007-03-20 10:52, arriano wrote:

The only one that'll hurt is Otto. He's already signed the contracts for everything (In fact, I'm under the impression the contracts were signed before anyone even got wind of the changes). He's worked so hard all the T.O.s that I would think it horrible if we bankrupted him for something that isn't his fault.

That's fucked up!

No white walls!!!

On 2006-11-14 19:42, Sabina wrote:
I've been away from TC for a bit, this is what happens when I blink.

I'm in anguish.

Our beloved Hanalei becomes yet ANOTHER location in our photo gallery I'll have to relist as RIP- or at least changed (again) beyond any recognition. I KNEW we needed to make last year's Oasis! Damn!

OakTiki and I only got to enjoy the Islands on two trips through San Diego, but it was truely one of the most evocative 'stepping into a postcard' locales we had left. I'm heartbroken.

Fix yerself a good stiff drink, then take a looksee at what we just lost- a few pages worth of documentation we took back in May 2005- http://www.sevenpleasures.org/gallery/Hanalei-and-Islands

"You're getting more interesting by the drink!" -Pepe le Tiki

[ Edited by: Sabina 2006-11-14 19:43 ]

The before and after is striking.

On 2007-03-20 18:18, Haole'akamai wrote:

On 2007-03-20 10:52, arriano wrote:

The only one that'll hurt is Otto. He's already signed the contracts for everything (In fact, I'm under the impression the contracts were signed before anyone even got wind of the changes). He's worked so hard all the T.O.s that I would think it horrible if we bankrupted him for something that isn't his fault.

We do not know that Otto made a guarantee with collateral which he would loose.
We further don't know if there isn't a "liquidated damages" clause or some other clause which lets either side out of the deal for free or with paying a pre-set amount.

Further, we don't know if some other hotel, like Humphrey's, Paradise Point, or Ocean Palms Resort in Carlsbad wouldn't pay whatever cancellation fees in order to sell drinks and sell out rooms not just this year, but also other years as well.

BTW, is the moai near the pool still there?

UNBELIEVABLE!!! I knew this was coming by following this post, but I had no idea it would be this drastic!! Even an armature decorator could have done a better job. Has the remaining tiki-fied portions of the hotel gone thru this as well?

• Myke
C

Look, don't freak out. The Oasis is happening. It's gonna be fun. The only decor changed is that dining room, nothing else has been touched. They've shoved the Tiki's around a bit, but they're all still about.

And some of the renovations to the rooms are looking pretty decent.

There are tons of places in San Diego to go for a Polynesian dinner, this city is Tiki Central (Oops)...

Well, heck, I guess the walls really are beige, and only the ceiling is white. Sorry about that. Thanks for getting better photos, Mr. NoNaMe.

I poked outside just for a second; both the Moai by the pool and the Islands outrigger sign above the door are still there. I thought a Tiki or two from the hallway may have been moved, but I zipped through very quickly so they certainly may still be there. The only changes I noticed were within the Islands Room and the Dragon Room, and of course those were expected. Everything else appeared the same.

We must drown our sorrows with the Cult of the Eye!!!!!

...And, stay out doors as much as possible!

Tiki Oasis has always been based around a pool party!!!
( just ask Crazy Al!!)

No White Walls!!!!

Do they have bbq's???

On 2007-03-20 20:37, RevBambooBen wrote:
No white walls!!!

Hey Ben! Unless they are are on a 60's Lincoln or 50's-60's Caddy! :lol:

As for Otto moving T.O. this year, I'd take a guess it's too late. This might be an eye opener for future use, as far as booking events and having certain clauses in contracts.
Example:
"I am booking my tiki event in this location due to its rich history of tropical/polynesia themes within the said resort. If the company owning decides to "renovate" or de-tikify the named business before my event is complete, then a prompt notice is due to me and full security deposit refund is due..."

maybe it would help, maybe not...relocating events on short notice is a bitch,and then you have the people who can no longer attend because the event was moved!
I would also think that the Islands restaraunt is not the last "renovation" the Red Lion Hotel has plans for(might as well drop the Hanalei name too!)....Let's face it, the Restaurant & hallway part of that facility towards the pool exit was the only thing in that whole main corridor/walkway that felt tropical(It was already white walled at the check-in towards the front bar!). When things like this turn out the way they did, it is a pretty good bet that in 2008 the gardens, ponds, or the tikis/artifacts will also take a hike due to modernization or "hotel updates"...An unfortunate sign of the times, but we've all been on this ill-gotten path before one time or another... :(

Outch! It's "Tiki-light" a la nouveaux Trader Vic's. And to think that Bosko refused to go near the place for years after their FIRST renovation, because he was so upset about it--and I was trying to calm him with "...it could be worse, they left the waterfalls and bridges intact!" Now it IS worse.

It does seem somewhat hypocritical to go there and pretend like all is well. Should there be a boycott of the restaurant, at least? But then, wouldn't that just limit our own ability to have fun?

Because, let's face it, folks: The Tiki Nation's one weekender a year there is just a drop in the bucket for the corporation, there gonna shrug their shoulders and say "too bad" and be looking forward to generally seeing more business in their brand new "clean and airy" facility. How many of us were going there every week?

It is the indifference of the average, Tiki-ignorant customer that is the cause of this, as much as the decisison of the (out of state) corporate headquarters.

My business is education, and I hope my next tome will accomplish as much as the first did.

S

I guarantee contracts are singed and if it is like Hukilau, there is a whopper of a fine for not coming through, like $30,000 I think was 2004, and there are many ways to get that fine, like not booking enough rooms. So, cancelling your TO trip is just going to screw Otto over.

Writing "Tiki Oasis" on every receipt you sign can help let folks know just how much money the event means to them. But, in the end, this is a very small part of their business. Now, if people of all stripes are coming there because of the decor and don't come back because it is gine and business slows, the thing that will likely happen si they will remove more tiki in an ignorant attempt to make things better.

I went by there yesterday while down in SD for a surf music show.

while I must say its very sad that its changed, and no longer dark, wood, and no more fish ball floats. but it is a tad better than what the pictures show. but not much.

yes The Moai is by the pool still, as is the tiki path way and hut in the back breeze way.

Sad very much so, the end of the world, NO, but I think its around the corner.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

:down: Before

:down: After

unbelievable - the guy who is responsible for the demolition of the beautiful waterfall and for this cheap crap he called "renovation" should be sent to jail for what he did !

Sigh. In Memoriam "The Islands" Restaurant:

The Hanalei's original tower, and the Moai that ended up by the pool:

The A-Frame entrance:

Zooming into underneath:

Artifacts from Stephen Crane's Luau:

The New Guinea Tiki (see Luau menu cover #2 in BOT)...

...and the spear fence from the Luau's interior waterfall (see postcard in BOT)

The entrance doors...

...and the door knobs from The Luau:

The left wall waterfall with bridge:

The big waterfall:

..and it's native statues:

The headhunter

The couple

One of the booths with indirectly lit panels:

One of my favourite shots, the center skylight (compare to now!):

...much of this was already gone years ago, kids...as is the way of things.

On 2007-03-20 16:59, Cammo wrote:
Move it somewhere that

1. Wants the business.
  2. Needs the business.
  3. Has a swimming pool.
  4. Has some Tiki's sitting around that look good in photos.
  5. Has a bar.

Caliente Tropics???? They want our business as long as they aren't being "given the business".

Hey Sven the Easter Island head in your photo isn’t the “Moai” by the pool, I don’t know who started that rumor, but when I tried to rescue the roof Tikis, I was told the original fell to pieces when they tried to take it down. The piece by the pool lacks any of the originals subtleties, it looks like they framed it out with plywood it’s so boxy.

Bosko

Oh well then...one more victim of the Tiki massacre.
Any clues where some of the missing-in-action Luau idols ended up? There were some quality historic carvings that seemingly vanished in thin air. Will we ever know?

The Giant clams and the lava fountain walls rocked!

No one wants to do that anymore!?

T

On 2007-03-23 23:37, RevBambooBen wrote:

At two to six hundred dollars per clam shell.
I think you are right.

Sven - Thanks for digging out those older pics and posting them. Fantastic shots.

C

Holy Jumpin' JAWA, those photos of the original are amazing!

I had no idea it was so ornate.

Y'know, somebody should start a thread that's a drop site for suggestions about a new Oasis Haven. Talk to the management of your local Tiki Hotel, include a couple of photos and a price list, and post the sucker. Otto can't do everything himself, maybe there's a little Tiki place out there that needs the business and would LOVE to have everybody come over. The Tropics, yes, but a new place would be a lot of fun.

Some of you folks have a huge list of every single operating Tiki hotel/motel on Earth, crack that list open and drop a line to the management, buds!

I know of 42 different Hawaiian and Polynesian bars & restaurants in San Diego. The style is booming here, the Bali Hai is renovating totally retro in the next year, the Catamaran Hotel has been booked solid for 3 years with hula shows every Friday all summer, the Hanalei is friggin CRAZY!

On 2007-03-24 10:06, ZuluMagoo wrote:
Sven - Thanks for digging out those older pics and posting them. Fantastic shots.

WOW!
The decline has been unchecked over the decades.
How long before the Moai goes?

TT

Would be interesting to hear Otto's thoughts on all of this

S

On 2007-03-24 08:13, tikiskip wrote:

On 2007-03-23 23:37, RevBambooBen wrote:

At two to six hundred dollars per clam shell.
I think you are right.

You can get repro shells at Z Galleries in Nashville for $30 for a 18" and $60 for a 24" or so. Look real and would last longer. I was tempted...

S

Wrong price on these big resin clam shells. $99. Available online. The smaller one are instores only.

And thats for fake ones!
Now count the fish float lamps.
And other swag.
That stuff is high dollar now.
When these places went in these things did not cost as much.
Plus you got to get a guy thats going to repair,clean
all that stuff.

Man those evil stupid rat bastards.
it was bad enuff seeing the pics and being there in person last thurs.
But then seeing Sven's old pics of how it really used to be.

I gotta ask, why the Hell do People gotta F with stuff??

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I visited the Hanalei a few times back in 1994 and 1995, as one of the first Tiki places that I actively sought out and went out of my way to explore. In fact, I went to it before Hala Kahiki or Trader Vic's here in Chicago.

This was just before the first renovation, and it still looked as Sven's pics show.

I have an awful nostalgia for this place, since I visited when Tiki was new and fresh to me, when I didn't know who carved the Tikis (who cares, they looked cool!), when I didn't realize how shitty the drinks were (who cares, they got me drunk!), when I didn't realize how fast placed like this were vanishing (who cares - it's here NOW).

I just loved the vibe and the feeling of the place, and soaked it all in, reveling in how insanely cool it was.

Those were good times.

So everybody doesn't miss the driveway this summer...
The new sign is up:

can you say LAME!!!

when I was there about a month back I saw the resturaunt,

sad sad sad.
its all disappearing before our eyes.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

M
mieko posted on Wed, May 9, 2007 11:33 AM

Went a few weeks ago, the restaurant is less cool, but the fountain is still there. Here's a couple of quick pictures

You can tell the restaurant was packed on a Wednesday night at dinner time. :) We ate at the sushi bar.

I still liked the darker, more intimate Tiki/Polynesian feel to it.

Definitely will miss the Giant Clam shell water fall that was also located IN the restaurant area and of course the HANGING FISH FLOAT LIGHTS

At least I was lucky enough to get to see it once....I only wish I had taken more pictures! :cry:

[ Edited by: surffnutt3000 2007-05-14 20:47 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 95 replies