Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

how do you get other people into tiki

Pages: 1 19 replies

I was thinking tiki is really great but how do you get other people into tiki I thought about having a tiki party with drinks and stuff in tiki mugs. Heck I even considered making a freestanding tiki bar shaped like the old polynesian restaraunts heck if you did it in installments it wouldn't be that much I also thougt about giving tiki mugs as gifts

Those are all great ideas. I find it hard to imagine anyone engaging in the activities you just described and not finding it interesting. It seems to me that people are attracted to Tiki by the very uniqueness and kitchiness of it. People would be interested just by witnessing the enthusiasm you seem to have for it.
The things you described might get a little expensive but hey, if you like it and it makes other people happy, what the hell?
You seem to be a very positive person Talkie and it is an entertaining pleasure to read your posts.

Dunk them deep in mysterious tiki atmosphere and get them piss drunk on good drinks. Seems to breed converts.

Yeah, I don't think my friends really appreciate my tastes as far as retro-lounge living, but they're my friends and we at least try and sample each others interests.

In my experience fun is the most contageous thing there is. Show them a good time. Show them you're having fun, and try and make sure they are too. Eventually they'll just get into it.

D

i dont necessarily want my friends to get into tiki ~ but i do want them to be on the lookout for stuff for me!

my friends dont really understand me either, TikiTorchGawd ~ most of my house is rather formal. but my computer room and (soon to be) family room is all fun kitschy stuff!

elicia

I bought a cook at the restaurant I work in a tiki mug for Christmas (the very common Trader Dick's peanut mug) At first he just said "Wow thats cool looking..is it for beer?" A few days have now passed and today he asked "where can I get more of those mugs"....delayed addiction!!

how do you get other people into tiki....

(Ahem)...show them (or GIVE them) the Book Of Tiki. It works everytime.

I'll 2nd that Bigbro!

I've given the BOT to two friends who because fast friends of Tiki!

On 2003-01-04 08:28, bigbrotiki wrote:
(Ahem)...show them (or GIVE them) the Book Of Tiki. It works everytime.

At the risk of being a brown-nose, when does the little 'Icons' version of 'The Book' come out? I can see that working well as a cheap and cheerful way of passing the word.
(NB. Taschen's 'Icons' series is a small but well-printed collection of books costing very little, yet are extensively illustrated. In the UK, they go for £4.99 or about $7.50)

Trader Woody

I agree with the Book Of Tiki too...the book is so great my friend tried to buy it from me to give to his girlfriend for Christmas...I said NO! I had to order it from Amazon and I read it constantly. Mostly I just look at it. The cover alone is worth the price!

Yeah. The cover is great. In fact, when I painted the concrete and wood in my basement tikiroom I used the color scheme from the cover. The posts and beams I painted dark brown and the end walls and floor...hot volcanic red.

On 2003-01-04 11:04, Trader Woody wrote:

At the risk of being a brown-nose, when does the little 'Icons' version of 'The Book' come out? I can see that working well as a cheap and cheerful way of passing the word.
(NB. Taschen's 'Icons' series is a small but well-printed collection of books costing very little, yet are extensively illustrated. In the UK, they go for £4.99 or about $7.50)

Trader Woody

Taschen postponed it a little, so it will take several months...one never knows with wild and crazy Benedikt.
I am curious how they are going to react to have to re-scan quite a few images, because I want to blow up many of the ones that are too small in the BOT, and also put images in a new context to emphasize a different aspect of them. That way it will not be just a shrunk version, but an ambassador for the big book for those who did not want to spend 30.- bucks. In the US, the ICONS actually go for 9.- to10.- bucks.
It'll be more of a pocket bible, good for traveling.

KK

..."Pocket B.O.T.!?!"
In my perfect world, they would be in every drawer of every hotel on the planet! In the meantime, I'll go about the mission of converting the masses by reading aloud from Trader Vic's cookbooks whilst pouring libations straight outta' the "Grog Log/Intoxica" testament!

Although I greatly appreciate the efforts of my friends and relatives to find me tiki artifacts (and some have had awesome luck, I might add), I do not neccessarily want them to be more into tiki & Polynesian stuff than I am.
THIS (Tiki) is what makes US unique!

And, while I agree that the BOT is a great gift and will begin a tiki fire in the reader, be warned that it may create new competition in your neck of the tiki woods.

My suggestion? Send the BOT to your brother in another state and make sure they know that YOU are the tiki lover in the family.
Use it as a manual of what you are looking for. (My brother got one just because he likes knowing what I like and he has a geat interest in nostalgia - mostly Route 66 stuff.) If they ever make a big Bing Crosby book, he will probably send me one because that is what he collects.)

Spouses, on the other hand, are easy to turn. Just have something in a prenump about YOU getting the tiki collection if a seperation occurs. She can have everything else.

There will always be mating candidates, boys and girls...there are so few Ren Clark Headhunter mugs in the world.

Am I right or what? Okay, maybe it is NOT in that "Tiki Spirit" to refuse to share your love for tiki with others. Call me a greedy bastard - but it's hard enough to find the stuff as it is.
I say the fewer, the better!

Happy hunting...just not in Ohio.
Personally, I think we should declare "Tiki War" with turfs and rivals and torches and special tiki biker jackets!

-C.

How do you get other people into tiki?

Take them to the Mai Kai and buy them a "Mystery Drink"!

It works like a charm....:wink:

K

there is friendly competition I believe.. who can set up the best bar, get the most tropical cocktail newbies flat on the floor drunk, amass the largest topless guest polaroid collection (i think I will soundly win that award soon)...
If I lived in a high-density home bar area like LA I would advocate "team shirts" and other paraphenalia

M

Heck with the tee shirts. Get those Polaroids scanned and posted pronto.

Drinks! Drinks! And MORE DRINKS!!! All this talk about all this other stuff (marvelous as all this stuff is) misses this important point... It's not important that your friends all become Tiki Lunatics like us, just that they think coming over to your house is the grooviest thing they've ever done on a Saturday Night in their entire lives. Make 'em Strong. Pour Doubles of Everything. Make 'em from Scratch and use Fresh Juice whenever at all possible. Have the BOT on display at all times (and perhaps a couple of copies of Barracuda Magazine lying around). Any who are able to resist probably aren't worth inviting back next time anywho...

S

On 2003-01-04 19:44, mrtikibar wrote:
Heck with the tee shirts. Get those Polaroids scanned and posted pronto.

YEAH!

E

Most definitely, seeing the BoT will do the job if nothing else. I didn't even know anyone besides me was into this stuff until I saw it in the design dept. of our local big-ass art bookstore. Upon opening it I was astounded, flabbergasted (whatever became of "flabbergasted"?), and 100% completely joyed up. Bought one for me and one for my bro Matt, causing him to express flabbergastitude as well. The best book written in any language at any point in human history. I do not exaggerate.

aloha,
emapce.

Pages: 1 19 replies