Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Babalu - Lapatiki 3 - The way out is the way through

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 305 replies

R
Robin posted on Mon, Feb 4, 2008 8:27 AM

I would be delighted to talk shop with you too! One mudslinger to another.

Lapatiki #2 is looking very good. And yes, the way he morphs from front to back is pretty intriguing.

Go Giants! From an old Dolphins fan.

S

Nice Babalu, That whrabuts got a great mouth.

T

I'm telling ya, Man. Go for the phallic ears.

B
Babalu posted on Wed, Feb 6, 2008 7:41 AM

Why, wanks Wowana...

LLT - Glad you like him. We are going to have to work out a trade down the road with something of mine, or I want to buy a painting from you soon, either way.

Hey Mudslinger! Thanks for stopping in. Are you a Southern Cal person, or are you stuck up in the snow somewhere?

Seeksurf - Thanks to you too man! I'm sure getting into your work as well. You have got a great handle on this carving thing.

Kate - If I gave him pee pee ears, would it be cute enough?

Well, I was able to pull some meat off the body on this fella last night...still plenty to go yet.

T

On 2008-02-06 07:41, Babalu wrote:
Kate - If I gave him pee pee ears, would it be cute enough?

Yes.

B

I Really Loves this Maori Rabid Rabbit, Way too Cool Dude, Give'em great Ballz too he'll look good on my shelf wit my mugs and tings. LEts make some Krazy tiki stuffs.

R
Robin posted on Thu, Feb 7, 2008 5:56 PM

Hey Mudslinger! Thanks for stopping in. Are you a Southern Cal person, or are you stuck up in the snow somewhere?

Hey Babalu...Lapatiki's looking good!

Neither...I'm stuck for the time being in sunny Florida.

B

Hey Robin, never been to FL before, but we have a big family reunion planned for in the Keys this summer. I can't wait! It looks like sooo much fun!

Big Bro, Thanks for the link! I wonder if that lid came with the bowl? Will try to buy it and find out. Made it through 3/4 of Tiki Modern on the plane last week...killer read...was like lugging one of those old mondo laptops around however.

Well, a little more detail added to Lapatiki 2 yesterday...adding in some big ballZ for the Benz and Kate...

Man, that rabbit rocks.

Very very cool.

Great imagination on this!! It's lookin' great.

R

And a Tiki pendant! Good one Babalu....sorry your job has been keeping you away from 'work'. The Keys are great, you will have fun. Lots of of interesting architecture built by shipwrights, and drumming down the sun every night at the end of Duval. The cruise ships now have changed the flavor of Key West a bit, but there's still lots of fun and interesting things to do and see.

[ Edited by: Robin 2008-02-27 08:51 ]

S

Nice work, i see a little guy coming out under
the chin. That wood look so foreign to me almost
sandy pumas.

Hi Babalu! Glad you're back. You're rubbing off on me a little, with this whole rabbit tiki thing. In fact, check this:

Stare at my newest carving long enough...

...and this is what reveals itself

It's wabbitiki season!

Buzzy Out!

S

You cracking me up!!
He is looking like a deer size jack rabbet.

On 2008-02-26 06:48, Babalu wrote:

Well, a little more detail added to Lapatiki 2 yesterday...adding in some big ballZ for the Benz and Kate...

Nice bunny balls, Babs. :D

B

Everything's coming up bunnies! Nice dramatic lighting in those shots too.

I need to get over there and glaze my stuff. Lemme know when it's fired.

B

Ahh, but I Thought Tiki Bunnies had BIG Tiki Balls, No?? I Still Love this guy and the Hei-Tiki pendant sets it off nicely!
Well done as Usual.

B
Babalu posted on Sun, Mar 2, 2008 9:26 AM

I guess It could be said that this carve is turning out to be a Hawaiian Lapatiki vacationing in New Zealand?

Flat Black, I love this name you've picked....."Flat Black"....coolness!

Freddie, why thanks man...that a great complement. My imagination could be my curse...When I was a kid growing up on the farm, I used to have mock gun fights with...well, no one. I always used to loose these glorious quick draw gun battles, and try to find the best positions to dye in. This was all before I got dropped on my head.

Robin, yeah...the job thing sucks this month. By the time I make it to the Keys this summer, I will be more than ready for a break. Can't wait!

Hey Seek, Your right about palm...carving small on palm sucks. This log is wet too. The whole thing will be burned eventually, but I started with this little Hei pendant area now so you could make make out the line better.

Bay Park, Ahhhh, dude....I really like your rabbit! I'm going to have to put a special order in with the Buzz master here soon.

Kate, but are they cute enough?

Bowana, Soon brother...I was hoping to bisque you guy's pieces along with some other work I'm doing, but I may just go ahead and fire them solo so you all can get to glazing.

Ben, I put the ears on the Hei just for you. :) I know he lacks a little in the balls area, but have you seen the tongue on this guy? He make Gene Simmons look like a cub scout.

Thanks, for stopping all!

Schooled by the finest.....Capt. K and Master G

[ Edited by: Babalu 2008-03-02 09:32 ]

S

Love that little pendent. Now i see him, very cute little guy with little ears.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Mar 2, 2008 5:24 PM

LapaHei-tiki...I love it. You are nucking futs Babs! This guy is destined for greatness!

B
Babalu posted on Sun, Mar 2, 2008 8:23 PM

Thanks guys...I have been using these interchangeable rasps on this one and I like them a great deal. 10X faster than sandpaper.

"You are nucking futs Babs" - Trust G....It gets worse.

On 2008-03-02 20:23, Babalu wrote:
Thanks guys...I have been using these interchangeable rasps on this one and I like them a great deal. 10X faster than sandpaper.

Hey Babalu, where'd you get the rasps? I can see where those would come in handy.

Do share!

Aaron

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Mar 2, 2008 9:59 PM

For a cute li'l bunny-bun-bun that's the SCARIEST DAMN THING I've ever seen!

And dude, what's next, a cheese grater?

B
Babalu posted on Mon, Mar 3, 2008 6:56 AM

Hey Aaron!! We've missed you at the Chops lately man! I still owe you and a few others...Ona, Moki, Tmec, etc Chop mugs. If you guys send me your addresses I can send them out after the next glaze firing. One good thing about being the last to receive yours is that I've got the glazes dialed in now...yours will be sweet.

Heres a link to microplane's Site. The little brass "center" finding ruler that they include with the kit makes ordering the kits the way to go. I think I like the free ruler better than the rasps. I cut the black end piece off of the 4" rasp...works better in tight spots. That aluminum looking block is a Surform tool that I brought at Home Depot. It works well too on this palm.

http://us.microplane.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=16

Cammo, Chisels, power tools, cheese grater, live beaver...what ever gets me from point A to point B the quickest way is the way I roll.

R
Robin posted on Mon, Mar 3, 2008 7:21 AM

...what ever gets me from point A to point B the quickest way is the way I roll.

Amen to that.... I hate rules. The pendant is a nice fanciful touch to the Lapatiki genre.

FB

Flat Black, I love this name you've picked....."Flat Black"....coolness!

Hey thanks, I kinda like it too.. it's really "me".

I really like the way this is coming along. Very different in a great way.

B
Babalu posted on Sun, Mar 9, 2008 4:31 PM

I had a little time today and I decided that I would try to make something for the March trade...After pouring through multiple reference images of work from New Zealand, I decided to go with one of my favorite works from NZ as inspiration. I hand built (slab construction) this little mug which I call "The Creature from the Black Paipo".

Paipo, you want this guy, or should I toss him in the trade? Of course, he still has to make it through a couple of firings....Dude, you have a mug...even if it is only one :)

HOK

You guys would make a great collabaration of talent, that mug is Badass! How about matching Swizzles? Thanks for posting such eye candy. Freddie

HOK

Double Post

[ Edited by: HOUSE OF KU 2008-03-09 18:11 ]

T

Another fabulous mug, Babs. Well done. (Do you want to make one for me too? :D)

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Mar 9, 2008 5:53 PM

Well, of course I would like it - who wouldn't? - but if you made it for the trade, I'm cool with that. You know, I never would have dreamed that "New Zealand Tiki" would be interpreted to include my work - it's too obvious to just do something Maori! Someone sent me this in a PM before, and my first thought was "What the...?!" - there's a Creature Fogcutter and I don't know about it??? :lol:
Anyway, I'm quite flattered and proud to see my first "Tribute Mug" - more so that you made it Babs. Maybe we should try and collaborate on something down the track?

H
harro posted on Sun, Mar 9, 2008 6:07 PM

very cool!!!!

T

That's really great!!! If you make some more I'd love to be on the list!

B
Babalu posted on Sun, Mar 9, 2008 7:08 PM

Thanks you guys,

Glad you like-um Piapo...I thought he turned out pretty cool too. Let me fire this guy up, and if he turns out (or not), I'll send him off to you. He should be in NZ.

I think I'll try and make a LapaHei Foggcutter for the trade...

Put that in the trade man!
Screw paipo!
that needs to be in the trade!
Bunny's looking reeeeeeal good!
and his heitiki necklace is perfect!
way to go Babs!

B

Now Kenny, play nice...that one's Paipo's. Here's another one for the trade. It will hold drinkies just like Paipo's mug.

LOL, that's great! Paipo's gonna want that one instead!

On 2008-03-10 19:06, Babalu wrote:

You gave the hei tiki bunny ears? You freak me out, Rick. (But in a good way. Not like Clysdalle.)

B

Wheeler - :)

Kate - It's good to hear that I am less freaky Cylsdalle...some peoples likes bunnys....

I don't think the grandson is one of those...

B

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

I thought you were a killer but in fact you are a super killer !

Amazing work.

Mahalo,

Benjamin.

Hei Tiki with ears....
Classic!
There you go crossing that line again!
I'm in agreement with Kate...
you're cool freaky but
Clysdalle's creepy freaky...

T

On 2008-03-10 19:06, Babalu wrote:

Aw Babalu My Mother's name is Bunny... I love the grandson & the Bunny-hei... quit teasing with the beautiful new mugs I love the style and the whole bunny thing!

Tikisgrl

R

That Bunny Hei is just awesome! :D I looooves it!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Mar 11, 2008 6:34 PM

Haw! Babs does it again....a rabbit-cutter. That's gonna make someone real happy!

B

Hey thanks Lost Tiki Man! What line do you mean? Did you know that there is a very cool park on the Big Island called Lapakahi...I didn't know that before today. I doubt that it has anything to do with the word Lapaki (means rabbit), but it is fun to think it does

Ben thanks for the over the top great props...they keeps me going man :-)

Tikisgrl, Thanks for the complement. Small world, my Step mom is named Bunny too.

Ravs, Thanks for coming over to my house. Your words mean a lot to me.

G - you were the one who thought up the Lapahei name for this style carve...thanks to you to my brother.

Anyway, I could not help but to do another one. I see a couple of different glazes I want to try on them now. I have them sitting here next to the infamous Goof so you could get a since of size on them...This Goof of mine gets more use than any other mug I own...It just feels great in your hand....holds the right amount of liquid for me.

At any rate, I gots to quit playing in these mugs for a minute...I still have a Tiki to finish, and a large bowl to do for a good friend. I will post the fired peices over in my thread in the other crafts area when they are done in a few weeks.

Peace...

L0L Babalu! Great going..!! Grand Baby is a cutie!

P

On 2008-03-10 19:55, 4WDtiki wrote:
LOL, that's great! Paipo's gonna want that one instead!

Weeeeell, I could conceivably get that in the swap now Babs has put that into the pool instead...but that would just be greedy - right? I'm already getting one awesome mug for doing absolutely nothing, and believe me, I'm grateful for it. I also scored the wicked one-of-a-kind Manowar in the last swap!

As for the latest, I can't believe you just busted another one of those out. Nice lineup there! The Maori word for rabbit is rapeti, and there is a famous kiwi kids' song that goes "oma rapeti, oma rapeti, oma, oma, oma" which is "run rabbit, run rabbit, run run run". The hei part of hei-tiki signifies that the tiki is worn around the neck, so it usually only applies to pendants, but we'll let you away with that. Hei-Rapetiki anyone? :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 305 replies