Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Shake Yer Booty update Jan. 22 Materials: Where to get 'em!

Pages: 1 2 3 114 replies

B
Bowana posted on Fri, Feb 2, 2007 7:38 PM

On 2007-02-02 07:48, Clysdalle wrote:
I was trying to figure out how much smaller I could go.....about an 3/4 inch from the edge of the original? as a rule of thumb?

Yes, 3/4" is good. 1/2" and 1/4" will also work for a small piece. The more molds you make, the more daring you will get!

On 2007-02-02 13:44, Clarita wrote:
About this you can try putting plasticine one that do not contain Sulpher to cover the pimples in your mold before casting...

Clarita is correct. You can do this method too, but will have to smear in the clay before each casting because it will pull out with the piece.

MN

My latest cast did not come out as planned. I forgot to use the selcon release AND the baby powder.
Here it is....

MN

whoops...

I over measured I guess.

C

Ok, here are the first batch of cannibal heads....with the various paint ideas.....ordering more resin for finish the run up...

B
Bowana posted on Mon, Feb 5, 2007 9:09 PM

Mr. NoNaMe: Whahappen?! Did it set up before you could pour it? Nice casting of the inside of the mixing cup. :)

Clysdalle: SWEET! Those came out really nice. How's the mold holding up?

C

Like you said, being so think it has cracked a little forcing them out....but over all it's in good shape....I'm hoping to pull 10 more and then it's retired....

noname, that is a great casting of that cup :) the detail is perfect!

C

hey tikidave....I just ordered the white resin from vagabond....now can I tint this? and can I use the stuff I already used for the other resin?? or do I need special stuff?

B
Bowana posted on Thu, Feb 8, 2007 7:57 PM

Hey Clysdalle-If you already have some tint, it should work with the resin from Vagabond. I've used tint from the same bottle on a number of resins from different makers and never had a problem.

Try it and report back!

P

what's the best paint to use?

with a small brush? on urethane resin?

thanks!

[ Edited by: pdrake 2007-02-11 13:31 ]

B

Hey Perry- You can paint on acrylic, enamel or anything else you can get to stick to it!

P

yeah, that's the problem. i'm having a hard time getting anything to stick. i'd like to find something that won't scratch off.

Here are a few painted pendants. Finally.

Some of the paint is kinda crappy.

B

pdrake: You can try sealing your painted castings with Krylon Crystal Clear acrylic spray (or something similar) to keep the paint from scratching off.

Mr. NoNaMe: Cool deal! They look good, man.

Bump because this thread kicks ass and Dave has single handedly flooded SoCal with resin treats by teaching us noobs! Thanks again Dave!

You are GOOD!!! I AM NOT WORTHY! I AM NOT WORTHY!

:~)

P

i'm in resin pendant hell right now.

V

On 2010-05-12 15:10, pdrake wrote:
i'm in resin pendant hell right now.

What a coincidence, I'm in clay pendant purgatory! Perhaps we will bump into each other. :)

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, May 12, 2010 4:27 PM

:o Whoa!
Tiki D.I.Y. is the best! Thanks buzzy for dusting this thread off! And to Bowana for starting it!

[ Edited by: Zeta 2010-05-12 16:30 ]

On 2010-05-12 16:27, Zeta wrote:
:o Whoa!
Tiki D.I.Y. is the best! Thanks buzzy for dusting this thread off! And to Bowana for starting it!

Ditto and ditto
Funny how so many of the now expert casters started out on this thread :)

Pages: 1 2 3 114 replies