Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Mai Kai Dinner Dec. 28th 50th Anniversary

Pages: 1 2 47 replies

Please join myself, several other Tiki Central members and local ohana on the actual 50th Anniversary date of the Mai Kai - December 28, 1956 - as we celebrate with cocktails, dinner and Molokai after hours on December 28, 2006. I'm hoping there's enough of us to fill the section just in front of the stage.

Those that are planning to make it please comment so we can get an accurate head count as I'm going to add everyone to my reservation so no need to make your own.

Everyone is to show up at 6:30pm!

Hey, the Mai Kai has the same birthday as my son! Hey, I guess that means Mr's Pappy won't go for a blitz vacation to Ft. Lauderdale. dang

H
Helz posted on Wed, Nov 29, 2006 3:38 PM

Rita and I are going to do everything we can to be there. If I'm in the state, you can count me in.

I'll confirm as soon as I know for sure.

Andy and I will be there, plus two guests.

[ Edited by: chip and andy 2006-12-01 05:58 ]

L
Loki posted on Thu, Nov 30, 2006 8:33 AM

I'm in for 4 seats.

UPDATE 12-17-06
Count me in! One more on the list. :drink:

[ Edited by: I dream of tiki 2006-12-17 19:37 ]

I wish I could be there. :cry: Have fun everyone!

Great to see there are so many of us! Be sure to check the General Tiki forum for a special posting regarding the 50th Anniversary of the Mai Kai!!

H
Helz posted on Fri, Dec 1, 2006 2:30 PM

Ok, it's offical...I got clearance and we're good to go.

+2 please.

Awesome! You got it! I sent Poptiki a private message as instructed this week. Did he get it?

Sorry can't make it. We'll be out of town.

H
Helz posted on Sat, Dec 9, 2006 4:56 PM

Yep

Helz:

I hope you guys have an awesome time!!! Wish we could break away for this but retail jail calls. Surmised to say I will be thinking about the fun while basking in the glow of our color wheel..

G

We're in for 2. :)

EDIT: Whoops... make that 4 for dinner and 2 for Molokai after-hours.

[ Edited by: GatorRob 2006-12-11 05:07 ]

HAPPY 50TH TO THE FABULOUS MAI KAI!

49 MORE YEARS TO GO FOR US TO MAKE IT TOO - LOL

WOULD LOVE TO ATTEND THE FESTIVITIES, BUT WE'LL BE HOSTING SOME HOLIDAY EVENTS HERE AT THE JETSETTER.

COULDN'T BE A MONDAY OR TUESDAY COULD IT?

SEE YOU AT THE 100TH ANNIVERSARY FOR SURE!

Karbora from Orlando is joining the group plus Joe and Elizabeth Culligan from Miami!! We're up to a party of 17!!

We have a special guest coming for this very special night!! It's a surprise and my lips are sealed!! See everyone there - I can't wait!

That's 21 so far!! I'm calling today to increase the reservation!

Nick and Torchy Taboo have just been added to the list!!

Hi!
Can you please add 4 seats for me? I'll be coming down with a friend and meeting up with Jay and John who went to Hukilau with me. I had thought about coming to Ft Laud, then this posting strand made up my mind!!
Thanks!
Noel

Great!! Are you the gal I met at Tiki Torch Nights in Atlanta and then was at Hukilau?

Close enough....I have been to Tiki Torch Nights once, but I don't think we met. I am, however, the guy you mee t at Hukilau and talked about the fact that we are both from Alabama. Maybe I can post a pic...

[ Edited by: SouthBamaTiki 2006-12-19 20:06 ]

L
Loki posted on Wed, Dec 20, 2006 5:12 AM

Hey SBT, i know someone who's gonna kill you for posting that pic...:wink:

LOL...she just might! I love that pic though :) Your wife's a great gal! I think she might be my long lost sister separated at birth or something lol I almost did not tell her I was coming...thought about just walking in the restaurant and surprising her, but I knew she would see me post on here for reservations. Can't wait to see y'all!

Good to hear that you're coming down for the evening.

This is sure to be one amazing evening!!

The Haole Kats will be entertaining us all night long. That's right, like you needed another reason to join us, this should kick you in the right direction.

Join us for a most amazing 50th Anniversary night of the Mai Kai!!!

K

Is there room for 2 more. If so my wife and I are in.
Can you show up a little later say around 7:00pm.

Is there is room for 2 more - of course!!

The Mai Kai is asking me to please confirm how many guests by this Monday so I can cancel anyone that might not be coming. If anyone can't make it please let me know as soon as possible.

Mele Kalikimaka!!

Hoffa and Beth are in!

I would like to add 2 more, please. That makes it 6 for us...

K

I hear there is an awesome new show!! Looking forward to seeing fellow TCers and celebrating a half century of tiki at the Mai Kai.

Karbora

See everyone tonight at 6:30 in the Molokai - can't wait to celebrate this evening with everyone!!

HAVE FUN TONIGHT & HAVE A COCKTAIL (OR TEN) FOR ME!

WISH I COULD JOIN YOU BUT WE HAVE SOME PARTIES HAPPENING HERE TOO...

FOR ALL YOU OUT-OF-TOWN TIKIPHILES IN TOWN FOR THE FESTIVITIES, STOP IN TO THE JETSETTER WHILE YOU'RE AROUND!

H
Helz posted on Thu, Dec 28, 2006 12:53 PM

T - 3 Hours!!!! I can't wait!!!!(Might be getting there a little early...)

Mike, wish you were able to make it, but we'll be thinking of ya, and I'll do my best to drop by while we're here.

SEE EVERYONE SOON!!!

Less than 2 hours!

Last one to the bar is a rotten pineapple!

Happy

Birthday

MAI KAI !!!

Cheers to Mai Kai, looks like a killer place,
wish I was there now, hope to get there one day.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 04:18:42 ]

Happy Birthday Mai-Kai!

May you see another 50 years! Dave, Kern, and Pia, and Tiki Kiliki, you guys and gals do such great work! On behalf of Waitiki, and all the villagers of Okonkuluku, thank you, and best wishes for another year. Happy New Year!

G

Seeing the Bum at the Mai-Kai was terrific. Seeing Mrs. Thorton up on stage telling her "how I became a Mai-Kai dancer" story was also terrific. Seeing Kern walking around in his custom Bamboo Ben Mai-Kai 50th Anniversary jacket was priceless! What a terrific time we had. Thank you Christie for all that you do to bring us all together and for helping us to appreciate the wonder that is the Mai-Kai all the more!

Pictures... let's see, who had a camera? Karbora, Chip & Andy, whoever else, let's see 'em! We (duh) forgot our camera yet again.

L
Loki posted on Sun, Dec 31, 2006 9:56 AM

Some quick pics...i've still got family visiting and will get more up soon.

just a teaser

What a great evening!! Thank you so much Tiki Kiliki!! It was really great to see people again, especially Savannah and Elizabeth. Meeting Loki's German family members was a hoot..such nice, fun people!! Must run in the genes :) The stories about Mai Kai's early days were delightful. What a wonderful institution. Thanks for sharing those memories with us! Heading back to Mai Kai for drinks in the bar this evening then home tomorrow. Once I get home and download the pics I will post some if they turn out decently. Happy New Years, everyone!
SBT/Noel

A bit from the Show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8IbnUYMTdY

if that one doesn't load, try this one.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctvsU4Hkbq8

And....

And more here....

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2007-01-02 08:49 ]

Link doesn't work ,and the youtube video won't play :(

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2007-01-02 00:08, bigtikidude wrote:
Link doesn't work ,and the youtube video won't play :(

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Try it now. Both links should be good.

Ok thank you, both links work now, very nice.
... I hate to complain always, but there is no sound on the new youtube video. is it supposed to be like that?
sorry for being a wet blanket.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2007-01-02 09:12, bigtikidude wrote:
... there is no sound on the new youtube video...

They were taken in movie mode on my digital. One of them has sound, but not very good. The other I dropped the sound out of so it would be a smaller video. One day, when I get a video camera......

Sharing a couple of pics from the anniversary dinner event....

Pages: 1 2 47 replies