Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New Kon-Tiki movie!

Pages: 1 2 92 replies

Norway has selected Kon-Tiki as their official entry into the foreign language Oscar contest, so the US should be hearing and seeing more from it soon, I suspect: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118059188?refcatid=13

blogs.laweekly.com/arts/2012/11/kon-tiki_norway_oscar_entry.php
By Michael Nordine Mon., Nov. 26 2012 at 3:09 PM
Aero Theatre • Wed, November 28 • 7:30pm

Why You Should Check Out Kon-Tiki, Norway's Most Expensive Film Ever
Not only Norway's Oscar submission for Best Foreign Language Film but also its most expensive cinematic production to date, Kon-Tiki is a biopic about a man who, in 1947, set out to prove a crackpot theory that (spoiler alert!) turned out to be right.
The man in question is Thor Heyderdahl, an ethnographer who firmly believed that "the oceans were not barriers, but roads" for ancient explorers and was willing to sail 5,000 miles in a period-correct raft in order to show the closed-minded scientific community just how right he was. And so, just as the vikings made landfall in America long before Columbus but never received a national holiday for it, Thor hopped on his homemade vessel from Peru to Polynesia in hopes of proving that, contrary to prevailing wisdom, inhabitants of the former first settled the latter some 1,500 years earlier. (This notion has since been largely discredited, but whatever.) The film screens Wednesday at the Aero with co-directors Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg in person for a post-film discussion.

It's easy to imagine much of the preceding setup being grating for anyone who grew up hearing this story. But, unlike most biopics, Roenning and Sandberg's mostly abstains from audience-flattery and eye-winking, and Academy voters' unfamiliarity with the subject matter might actually work in the film's favor. (If it ends up winning, it'll be the first Norwegian movie to take home an Oscar since the original Kon-Tiki, a documentary Heyerdahl and his team filmed en route, scored a statuette in 1951.)

Like a lot of historical reenactments, it's often concerned with demonstrating what an exceptional fellow its protagonist was, which doesn't help convince us that he might not survive the Ahabic excursion he's imposed upon himself. Just because we already know the destination doesn't mean the journey shouldn't be as exciting as possible.

Thor is joined by four others, all of whom are noble in intent but like osprey when compared to their fearless, borderline monomaniacal leader. Hampered only slightly by the usual peripheral concerns -- a worried wife and two kids on the homestead, legions of nonbelievers on either end of the ocean -- Thor and his almost inexplicably loyal crew often look like sitting ducks on a piece of glorified driftwood. There's some infighting and the occasional worry about the structural integrity of the eponymous vessel, but the co-directors come across as hesitant to make the circumstances truly dire.

That we can guess the outcome of their so-crazy-it-might-work quest far more easily than they can isn't exactly conducive to high drama, but neither is it a deal-breaker. Kon-Tiki is a much tighter ship than the one it's about, with any leaks it springs along the way slowing it down but not sinking it.

The second hour consists almost entirely of the group's 100-day journey across the Pacific, and though their beards grow at roughly the same pace as their desperation, the trek is more of a visual treat than a visceral one. (The whale shark and bio-luminescent jellyfish are especially nice touches.) An exception is a scene in which one of the men brutally kills the Great White who just ate his pet parrot, thereby attracting more sharks in the process. The film could have used a bit more of this blood in the water, but its crystal-clear waves are a sight to behold nevertheless.

I saw it today at the Palm Springs Film Festival. Great Movie that was visually stunning.
They did a great job sticking to the book and trimming down some of the boring fact's
and adding more drama between the men on the Kon Tiki.

W

Thanks for the review, Rory. I can't wait to see it.

Phew, what a relief: It actually is a really good movie! I am a Kon Tiki fan boy, so I would have loved it in any case, but after seeing it, I am sure it will hold up to a general audience.

Good News for all: The Weinstein company will distribute it in the States!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jan 9, 2013 12:31 PM

You can watch the 1950 documentary on Hulu. here's the link:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/438443

H

Apparently it has been nominated for Academy Awards for best foreign language movie.

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2013-01-10 08:57 ]

It would be so cool if it would win again, after the documentary won one:

The 2 directors are really nice, level-headed guys, judging by the Q & A they did on Tuesday after the screening. They really did a fantastic job. Being nominated alone is already a boost for their career, but a win would be the ticket, and really let the saga of Kon Tiki live on.

Last April I went to a movie at the Academy on Wilshire and they had a huge framed poster from the 1950 Kon-Tiki documentary on the second floor. Foreshadowing of their 2013 Oscar nomination, perhaps?
I wish I could have stayed for all of the Q&A when I saw the movie, but it was a work night for me. They did seem like really nice guys.

It seems unlikely to win, it's up against very strong competition, but this makes it much more likely to have a decent theatrical release in North America. Looking forward to seeing it.

A double Oscar would be nice!

The movie is showing at the Santa Barbara International Film Festival which starts Jan 24th. No date released for the movie showing yet.

DC

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-01-11 00:27 ]

On 2013-01-10 09:17, bigbrotiki wrote:
It would be so cool if it would win again, after the documentary won one:

The 2 directors are really nice, level-headed guys, judging by the Q & A they did on Tuesday after the screening. They really did a fantastic job. Being nominated alone is already a boost for their career, but a win would be the ticket, and really let the saga of Kon Tiki live on.

While I loved the movie, I think it's going to be Amour for the foreign film Oscar tonight.

DC

Amour won. I have a screener of the movie but never watched it. I'll kill to watch the new Thor. You guys near the film festivals are lucky to see it. Only once I flew to L.A. to watch Whale Rider. Ha then it was released in Hawaii 2 weeks later so I hope this film gets an American release. Congratulation guys for the nomination.

On 2013-02-24 23:31, creativenative wrote:
I hope this film gets an American release. Congratulation guys for the nomination.

"The Weinstein Company will release this epic drama domestically on April 19."

Read this article:

http://www.movieweb.com/news/kon-tiki-trailer

A sequel has just been announced:

Kon Tiki II: Life of Thor

Haaaaahaaa! So funny: I totally agree, I repeatedly have compared the Kon Tiki Ocean CGI to "Life of Pi" - both equally succeed to convey the awesome power of the sea in a totally believable way.

RB

Sweet Daddy, thanks for the LOL!

Yeah, just got home after seeing the movie. The Weinstein all English version, no subtitles. It was great except for the Southeast Asians (Thai) as Polynesians. but at least they dressed them as Polynesians. I'd love to see that actor stand with a line of Polynesian NFL linemen, he'd be looking up at them :). Great visuals however, either photography or computer effects. Good acting too. No wonder it was nominated, production values were very good and great screenplay. I know it wasn't easy making this movie, there were a lot of costs involved. But the producers were like Thor himself with a dream and they kept trudging along and also like the real Thor with its American release of his books & documentary the American release of this new film will finally give the producers some money for expenses.

The film played at the Spring addition of the Hawaii International Film Festival as the Opening film. Actually missed the opening because the stupid newspaper here always releases news the day of an important event or the day after not a couple days before so one could plan for it. So last Friday night at 8:05PM I was reading about the 8:00PM Kon Tiki Opening(I live a half hour out of town) GREAT! Fric'n paper! BUT also read they are going to show it again tonight. Set my alarm for it but didn't set the pre-warning alarm about the event. My smart phone's default warning is only 10 mins. ahead, it went off checked to see why, fric'n alarm I only have 10 mins. to get to town a half hour away. Missing the first 25 mins would still be worth it so I took off. While on the road I was checking on my cellphone for the location and if it was sold out or not. Don't try this at home folks. Anyway I couldn't read the little screen well, I didn't wreck and I found out I set my alarm 1/2 hour to early anyway so I got there with 3 mins. to spare BUT it was sold out BUT the next second they moved it into a bigger theater with 80 more seats. Got in! The tiki gods were with me as well as with Thor during 1947 I believe and as well with the production of this new movie.

We all like Thor Heyerdahl whether on a raft or in our car or in our heads will get to Polynesia, an actual island, a dark booth in a tiki bar or in our imaginations. Dream on all!

I concur. I just saw the new Kon Tiki again, with my dad in Hamburg this time, and it held up to a second viewing. I absolutely dig this movie.

T

Saw a trailer for this before the new Studio Ghibli film... can't wait to see it!

Spent some time on line googling it, saw some more trailers and behind the scenes/making of footage, and it looks fantastic!

Found out it gets a limited release on April 26th, not sure where it will be playing in the LA area yet, but we are definitely going to catch it in the theatre while we can!

TT

Really well done. Just saw it today at the Mpls. Film Festival. Completely sold out for both shows. I highly recommend seeing it.

Finally here in switzerland.
Saw it yesterday. Very well made movie in my opinion.

Looking up when it will finally hit my town and I found this out...
The movie's raft is in New York Harbor for the opening this weekend! Well, docked in Battery Park City actually. (Wait, there's a marina in Battery Park City?)
Anyway, here's the link, with pics:
http://www.reellifewithjane.com/2013/04/kon-tiki-raft-on-display-in-nyc-film-opens-friday/#.UXfu77Wmh_4

It looks like the movie's in very limited release until May 31st!
Darn it, why do I live in Pennsyltucky!

Also this article on shooting the film in two languages and a brief history of that process.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/14/movies/two-versions-of-kon-tiki-in-two-different-lanugages.html?pagewanted=all

If you're in Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal or Ottawa you can win tickets to advance screenings of Kon-Tiki courtesy of the Norwegian embassy here. Locations and opening dates for those cities are listed there - no info on other Canadian cities. I suppose it depends how the film does in limited release if we get to see it on the big screen or have to wait til it's on dvd in places like Edmonton and Calgary.

C

It's now showing in Australia--excitement!! :)

Starts Friday, May 3 at the Uptown Theatre Minneapolis

T

Manuel and I just caught a screening with Krisdrama at the only theatre in LA showing it, the Landmark at the Westside Pavilion.

It was pretty incredible, and there are moments of heart-stopping tension... no small feat, given the fact that we all know how it ends!

Check it out on the big screen if you can, it's spectacular! Can't wait to get it on DVD!

T

Manuel and I just caught a screening with Krisdrama at the only theatre in LA showing it, the Landmark at the Westside Pavilion.

It was pretty incredible, and there are moments of heart-stopping tension... no small feat, given the fact that we all know how it ends!

Check it out on the big screen if you can, it's spectacular! Can't wait to get it on DVD!

I noticed the the National Geographic Channel is showing a special on Friday May 3.
Kon-Tiki: The Incredible True Story

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/episodes/kon-tiki-the-incredible-true-story/

Got my DVR set to record!

Looks like it's playing in San Diego this week at the Landmark in Hillcrest

http://www.landmarktheatres.com/Index.htm

T
Tiare posted on Sun, May 5, 2013 10:19 PM

For those in San Francisco, it is at the Embarcadero Theater downtown. We just saw it tonight, was really good. Now I want to re-read the book.

Kon Tiki 2012 opens in Denver today for one week ending next Thursday. Its at the Esquire Theater.

http://www.landmarktheatres.com/Market/Denver/Denver_Frameset.htm

I'll wait for Netflix. :)

Pirates of the Caribbean and Tiki get a little closer...

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/pirates-of-the-caribbean/25806/pirates-of-the-caribbean-5-directors-revealed

Kon Tiki directors hired for Pirates of the Caribbean 5, I wonder if they'll be more tikis in it?

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2013-05-31 05:52 ]

HT

The Pittiki group is hosting a special party, and going to a showing saturday night at 730. There will be punch and pupu.

Kon-Tiki is being realeased on DVD and Blu Ray on August 27th.

Kon-Tiki is being realeased on DVD and Blu Ray on August 27th.

T

So nice, it needs to be posted twice! :wink:

We never did get the Kon-Tiki movie in theaters around here but I finally got see it by renting from Family Video. Great movie. The books of Thor Heyerdahl first got me interested in tiki. The first part about the honeymoon I thought was really fun. I just got the National Geographic 1888 to 1996 set of computer CDs at a library used book sail for $5. (they were over $150 when they first came out) I did a search for "tiki" and found that the first mention of the word in the magazine was Heyerdahl's 1941 article on their year long stay on Futu-Hiva in the Marquesas. Great article ......

TT

I forgot to thank the kind stranger (I did in person) that gave me his extra ticket to the showing in Mpls. I skipped out of work early to get in the "people who didn't get a ticket in time but still hold hope that a few tickets open up" line. Successfully got out of work and got in for free. A good day for sure.

[ Edited by: ted tiki 2013-10-15 16:47 ]

This is out now on DVD & Blu-ray, buy it or rent it, great movie!

I'm happy to report that this is now on Netflix streaming!

T

Saw it last night on Netflix VERY good! The actual Kon-Tiki had a lot more on board storage supplies than shown in the movie, it must have been really cramped. Incredible journey to survive. Thortiki

Pages: 1 2 92 replies